Survey of London: Volumes 33 and 34, St Anne Soho. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1966.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
No. 72–74 (consec.) Dean Street: Royalty House
This block of offices (Plate 139b) was erected in 1954–5 to a design by T., P. H. and E. Braddock and completed in 1959. (fn. 1) It has a wellmannered front of simple Georgian character, four storeys high and nine windows wide, built of fawn-coloured facing bricks sparingly dressed with stone, used for the Doric open-pedimented porch to the central entrance, for the ground-floor window keystones and first-floor bandcourse, and for the parapet coping. Carved figures in the tympanum of the doorway, and masks at the ends of the first-floor bandcourse serve to recall the theatrical associations of the site. The original domestic character of the street has been skilfully maintained by the scale of the plain window-openings, and by the vertical division of the front into three equal parts by handsome hopper-heads and rainwater-pipes of cast lead.