The Three Earliest Subsidies For the County of Sussex 1296, 1327, 1332. Originally published by Sussex Record Society, London, 1910.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
NOTES ON THE BOROWES WHICH WERE NOT VILLS OR PARISHES.
The Borowes which were and are recognized parishes are not noticed here, as needing no identification.
The reference to a site as being in a certain "parish" in the Ordnance Map is intended to indicate the "Vill" in which it probably lay. The "parishes" so mentioned are those which occur in the Taxation of Pope Nicholas (T.P.N.) in 1291. In most cases they would correspond to the civil vills.
Not a few of the other parishes, whose names are found among the borowes, are not in T.P.N., and were not then recognized parishes or vills, but were outlying tithings or borowes of an older vill, as Funtington of Bosham. Our knowledge is too imperfect to speak definitely on individual cases.
The Ordnance Map used is the Index Map of the 25-inch Survey, in sheets with the parishes coloured.
The borowes which have never been vills or parishes are printed in italics.
Rape of Chichester.
Bosham Hundred (pp. 90, 118, 229, 234).
Broadbridge, Fishbourne (Old), Southwood, Walton were in Bosham parish (O.M.). Crede was near Bosham Creek. (S.A.C., xviii. 5.)
Funtington (not in T.P.N.), including East and West Ashling, was also in Bosham parish.
Wodering (p. 231), uncertain. Cf. names in "Villata de Pagham" (p. 123).
Box and Stockbridge Hundred (pp. 93, 125, 249).
Suthburn (1296) was probably in Rumboldeswyke and answers to Fishbourne (New) and Suburb of Chichester in 1327 and 1332. (Cf. names.)
Drayton, Groves, Colewerth, and Woodhorne, in Oving parish (O.M.).
Halnaker and Easthampnett, in Boxgrove parish (O.M.).
Runcton, in N. Mundham parish (O.M.).
Westerton and Wodecote, in Westhampnett parish (O.M.). Strethamton (Strettington) must have been part of Westhampnett, and with the other two borowes takes its place in 1332. (Cf. names.)
Eartham was probably in the vill of Upwaltham.
Dumpford Hundred (pp. 83, 112, 236).
South, East, and West Harting were three borowes of one vill.
Chithurst in 1296 was included in Trotton, and Didling in Treyford.
Easebourne Hundred (pp. 99, 115, 239).
Buddington, in Easebourne parish (O.M.).
Loddesworth was a Liberty of the Bishop of London.
Manhood Hundred (pp. 8, 131, 246).
The four borowes were all parishes (T.P.N.).
Pagham Hundred, now Aldwick (pp. 86, 120, 243).
Shripney, North Bersted, and Bognor were in South Bersted parish.
Aldwick, Crimsham, Nyetimber, and Mundham (now South Mundham in North Mundham parish) were in Pagham parish.
Cherleton and Thedacre are evidently Charleton and Hoadacre, said to have been in the manor of North Bersted, given to Prince Charles (S.A.C., xxv. 117), and should be in the Parliamentary Survey of Aldwick Hundred (S.A.C., xxiii. 225), which, however, is unintelligible in its local names.
Singleton Hundred (pp. 97, 124, 241).
Preston, now in Binderton (O.M.), but as Binderton is not in T.P.N. perhaps both were in West Dean vill.
Charlton, in Singleton parish (O.M.).
Chilgrove, in West Dean parish (O.M.).
Westbourne Hundred (pp. 86, 110, 231).
South Holt, in Compton parish (O.M.).
Aldsworth, Woodmancote, Prinsted, Nutbourne, and Inlands, in Westbourne parish.
West Marden was in Up Marden and East Marden in North Marden.
Walderton, in Stoughton parish (O.M.).
Stansted, now in Stoughton (O.M.), may have been in Racton.
Rape of Arundel.
Avisford Hundred (pp. 78, 134, 253).
Ford must here include Climping, though both were separate parishes in T.P.N. In Domesday Book Climping includes Ford. The site of the manorial lordship passed to Ford with the De Bohuns (S.A.C., xliii. 106).
Cudlow, a submerged township near Climping.
Atherington, in Climping (O.M.); Iselham, in Climping (S.A.C. xi. 110).
Bilsham, in Yapton parish (O.M.).
Offham, in S. Stoke parish (O.M.).
Bury Hundred (pp. 72, 150, 267).
Westburton, in Bury parish (O.M.).
Sonde, uncertain; perhaps corresponded to parish of Coates.
Haffelde and Hurst (1296) correspond with Wisborough in 1327 and 1332, in which parish are Hurst Farm and Headfold Wood and Harsfold Farm (all O.M.); or more probably Hadfold Farm in Billiughurst (O.M.). (Cf. "de Hadfold, Haffold," 147, 148, 261.)
Eryngeham is Hardham.
West Esewrith Hundred (pp. 74, 146, 259).
Nutbourne and Nytimber, both in (or on border of) Pulborough parish (O.M.).
Howick, in Rudgwick parish (O.M.).
Dunhurst, (?) in Wisborough Green (O.M.).
Rackham, hamlet of Amberley.
Gretham in 1296 seems to have gone with the vill of Billinghurst and Wiggonholt with that of Parham.
Poling Hundred (pp. 68, 141, 263).
Bargham, formerly chapelry of East Angmering, and a manor (S.A.C., xiii. 48). Hamme and Eglesden, in East Angmering (O.M.).
Toddington, Wick, and Warningcamp, in Lyminster parish (O.M.).
Wepham, a manor in Burpham.
Rotherbridge Hundred (pp. 75, 138, 257).
Bodek, Bodecton, or Burton; Bognor, an outlying borowe locally in Pagham Hundred.
Treve, River Manor in Tillington ("Tythyng of Reve," Muster Book, 158, 30 H. VIII.; "Rivere alias Treve Park," 1554, Elwes and Robinson, Castles, etc., p. 239).
Loxwood, now in Wisborough Green parish (O.M.); Rydyng, site uncertain.
Kuur, probably Kirdford, in which parish is Iburnehow.
Rape of Bramber.
Brightford Hundred (pp. 61, 161, 275).
Roughey (1296), in Horsham parish (O.M.), and Sedgewick (1332), in Nuthurst parish (O.M.).
Cokeham, in Sompting parish (O.M.).
Worthing and Offyngton (O.M.) were in Broadwater parish.
Heene and Durrington were in West Tarring parish, which, as a borowe, was included in the Archbishop's Hundred of Loxfield in Pevensey Rape.
Burbeach Hundred (pp. 58, 163, 278).
Iringham, in Old Shoreham parish (O.M.).
Horton and Tottinton, in Upper Beeding parish (O.M.).
Ifield, a detached portion of the Hundred, perhaps included Lower Beeding adjoining it.
De Veteri Ponte. The site of the Old Bridge was close to Bramber (S.A.C., ii. 64). This borowe seems to have been attached to the Castle, Bramber itself being a borough jointly with Steyning. In 1327 and 1332 it is incorporated in Beeding.
East Esewrith Hundred (pp. 53, 157, 271).
All the borowes were vills or parishes.
Fishergate Half Hundred (pp. 60, 167, 281).
Steyning Hundred (pp. 55, 154, 269).
Charlton, in Steyning parish (O.M.).
Bidelington, in Bramber parish (Dall., iii. 208).
Southbrok, site uncertain.
Shortsfield, manor in Horsham, Warnham, etc. (Horsf., ii. 263, 267).
Tipnoak Half Hundred (pp. 55, 165, 280).
Windham Half Hundred (pp. 60, 166, 281).
Windham Borowe was in Shermanbury (cf. names "de Buci," "Pouke," 1327, with Suss. Fin., 721, 906), and included Cowfold (1327, "Vicar' de Cofold;" cf. "de Cumbes," with Suss. Fin., 552).
Iwhurst, Ewhurst Manor, was in Shermanbury (O.M.).
West Grinstead Hundred (pp. 64, 160, 273).
Apsley, in Thakeham (O.M.). The borowe must have included Shipley parish, on the borders of which the site of the manor stood.
Byne, in Ashurst (O.M.), subordinate to W. Grinstead.
Wickham, in Steyning parish (O.M.), locally outside the Hundred. (Cf. "Boneth," 1296 and 1332; "Ric. Fillol," 1296, with Suss. Fin., 631, 1117.)
Wythiham (1327), evidently the borowe of the manorial tenants of the Preceptory of Shipley. (See "Will. Lambard," S.A.C., ix. 252.) In 1332 it is entered under Apsley (cf. names).
Rape of Lewes.
(See Rowe's MSS. in S.A.S. Library at Lewes, i. 50, etc.)
Barcombe Hundred (pp. 49, 181, 295).
Northborgh was Newick; Middelborough, Barcombe; Southborgh, Hamsey. (Rowe's MSS.)
Buttinghill Hundred (pp. 45, 176, 290).
Burleigh (1332), a manor of the Archbishop's in Worth parish (O.M.). (See Lindfield in Strete Hundred.)
Fishergate Half Hundred (pp. 49, 174, 288).
Atlingworth, in Portslade parish (O.M.).
Holmstrow Hundred (pp. 47, 169, 283).
Meeching, now Newhaven.
Poynings Hundred (pp. 40, 174, 289).
Saddlescombe, in Newtimber parish (O.M.).
Perching (Patching), in Edburton parish, in portion now called Fulkyng.
Strete Hundred (pp. 51, 178, 292).
Lofield, now "The Hooke," in Chailey. Included Chailey and Wivelsfield (cf. names).
Lindfield and Burleigh. Lindfield was divided into two manors, the Archbishop's and Bardolf's. Confusion having arisen, an Inquisition was held at Mayfield on 1 Jan., 8 Edw. III., 1335, which decided that there was only one Lindfield, viz., in the Hundred of Street and not in Loxfield Hundred, and only one Burleigh, viz., in Buttinghill Hundred and not in Loxfield. In these two Hundreds they were in future to be taxed. (Enrolled at end of Subsidy Roll for 1334. See S.A.C., 1. 172.) In 1332 several tenants of Burley are taxed twice—in Buttinghill, p. 291, and in Loxfield, p. 311.
Swanborough Hundred (pp. 48, 168, 282).
Westout, St. Mary and St. Peter Westout, now St. Anne, Lewes.
Villains of the Prior of Lewes (1332), in Kingston-by-Lewes.
Whalesbone Hundred (pp. 41, 172, 286).
Withdean and Moulscomb, in Patcham parish (O.M.).
The first Brighthelmston in 1296, and those in 1327 and 1332, seem to be the manor of Brighthelmston—Lewes. The second may be that called Brighthelmston—Michelham. Brighthelmston— Atlingworth may be included in Portslade.
Bokkyng, site uncertain. Bockingham Manor in Old Shoreham has been suggested, but see Hundred of Alsiston, p. 203. Two names, "de Bokkyng" and "le Veel," occur in Piecombe (1296), and a third, "de Weyville," in 1327 and 1332. The family of "De Erlegh" was settled in Brighton so far back as 8 Ric. I. (Suss. Fin., 6).
Windham Half Hundred (pp. 47, 178, 292).
This was afterwards a Borowe of Buttinghill Hundred (Rowe's MSS.), including Bolney and Twineham.
Younsmere Hundred (pp. 43, 171, 285).
Baldsdean, in Rottingdean (O.M.).
Bormer, in Falmer (O.M.).
Rape of Pevensey.
Alciston Half Hundred (pp. 29, 203, 313).
Appledram, near Chichester, is taxed with Alciston as both belonging to the Abbot of Battle, who is said also to have had lands in Old Shoreham.
Dill (Thille) Hundred (pp. 27, 204, 314).
Isenhurst, the northern division of the Hundred (Salzmann's Hailsham, 144).
Eastbourne Hundred (pp. 19, 191, 302).
The four names describe four of the six borowes of the Hundred. (See S.A.C., xlii. 191, etc.)
East Grinstead Hundred (pp. 34, 202, 312).
Imberhorne and Shovelstrode, in East Grinstead parish; Brambletye and Ashurst, in modern parish of Forest Row, formerly part of E. Grinstead. (All in O.M.)
Flexborough Hundred (pp. 23, 192, 304).
Chinting adjoins Seaford (O.M.).
Norton, in Bishopstone (O.M.).
Sutton, in Seaford (rural) (O.M.), was a parish in T.P.N.
Hartfield Hundred (pp. 30, 187, 298).
Parrok, in Hartfield parish (O.M.).
Blackham, in Withyham parish (O.M.).
Birchden, now in Rotherfield parish (O.M.).
Folkenhurst, site uncertain. (Cf. "de Possingworth" with Possingford, in Hartfield. O.M.)
Longbridge Hundred (pp. 24, 185, 315).
Loxfield Hundred (pp. 36, 196, 307), belonged to the Archbishop of Canterbury.
Ashton, Northlington, Middleham, and Wellingham, all in Ringmer parish (O.M.).
Cliff, by Lewes.
Wodetone, Wootton, now in East Chiltington (O.M.).
Patching and West Tarring (both parishes in T.P.N.), in Rape of Arundel, near Worthing.
Greenhurst, site uncertain. Some names occur in Framfield in 1327.
Lindfield and Burleigh, between Worth and East Grinstead (O.M.). (See Hundred of Strete in Rape of Lewes.)
Middleton Half Hundred (pp. 28, 194, 305).
Milton, in Arlington parish (O.M.).
Ristondenne (Rushmonden) Hundred (pp. 32, 194, 305).
Denne is Danehill, in Horsted Keynes parish (O.M.).
Riston included Maresfield and Nutley (in Maresfield parish, O.M.) and Horsted Parva.
Liberty of Leicester included Sheffield, or Fletching, Lavertye, and other places. (See S.A.C., xliii. 196, and Feudal Aids, Sussex.)
Tarring, Neville, S.E. of Lewes.
Iford, Itford in Beddingham (O.M.).
Rotherfield Hundred (pp. 31, 188, 300).
The vill of Rotherfield is divided into two borowes, north and south.
Shiplake Hundred (pp. 26, 184, 297).
Totnore Hundred (pp. 25, 200, 311).
West Preston (1296), Preston (1327), Preston 1 (1332), is Preston Bec-Hellouin, afterwards Preston Ponyngs (S.A.C., x. 140), in Beddingham.
Est Preston (1296) is uncertain, Preston 2 (1332) agrees (in names) with Ferles of 1296 and 1327—a manor in West Firle.
Heighton, St. Clere in West Firle.
Willingdon Hundred (pp. 21, 189, 301).
Birling, in East Dean parish (O.M.). (See S.A.C., xlii. 197.)
Rape of Hastings.
Baldslow Hundred (pp. 4, 212, 323).
Wilting, in Hollington parish (O.M.). Taken as Hollington (S.A.C., xxi. 157).
Inlegh, site uncertain; perhaps included Westfield.
Battle Half Hundred (pp. 17, 205, 317). (See S.A.C., vi. 59.)
Middleburgh, Sandlake, Mountjoy, Okeham, and Telham were all in the Leuga (or Lowey) of Battle; Glesy (in Beckley parish), Bernehorne (in Bexhill parish), and Bucksteep (in Warbleton parish) were out-borowes of the Hundred.
Bexhill Half Hundred (pp. 191, 214, 326).
Not here subdivided. In Muster Book, 163 (30 H. VIII.), East Borowe, Midyll Borowe, West Borowe.
Foxearle Hundred (pp. 7, 208, 319).
Cowbeech, in Hurstmonceux (O.M.).
Goldspur Hundred (pp. 14, 215, 326).
Hope and Knelle are both in Beckley parish (O.M.).
Heghton and Wyvelrugg, site uncertain.
These four borowes contained the parishes of Beckley, Peasmarsh, Iden, and Playden (all in T.P.N.), but the family names are too intermixed to assign the parishes to the borowes.
Gostrow Hundred (pp. 15, 210, 321).
Gateberg (Cadborough), in, or on border of, Udimore parish (O.M.).
Smegle, site uncertain.
Guestling Hundred (pp. 3, 213, 324).
Hawksborough Hundred (pp. 9, 218, 330).
Bivelham, now in Mayfield parish (O.M.).
Toddingworth, in Heathfield parish (O.M.).
Henhurst Hundred (pp. 11, 220, 332).
Fonterugge, site uncertain; probably in Echingham (cf. "de Lunsford").
Glottenham, in Echingham (locally in Mountfield, O.M.).
Iridge, in Salhurst (O.M.).
Netherfield Hundred (pp. 18, 206, 318).
Netherfield, now part of Battle parish.
Ninfield Hundred (pp. 6, 209, 320).
Cooding, now in Bexhill parish (O.M.), on border of Hooe.
Shoyswell Hundred (pp. 10, 220, 331).
Pashley, in Ticehurst (O.M.).
Hodlegh, site uncertain. Said to be a borowe of Robertsbridge (S.A.C., viii. 167).
Staple Hundred (pp. 12, 217, 328).
Chitcombe, now in Brede, on border of Ewhurst parish (O.M.).
List of Contents.
|Subsidy Roll for the County of Sussex for the year 1296||3|
|Subsidy Roll for the County of Sussex for the year 1327||109|
|Subsidy Roll for the County of Sussex for the year 1332||225|
Note.—The word "De" (from) precedes every name throughout the three Rolls, except where the nominative case is used. It is to be understood in this copy.
The letter "z" sometimes stands for the Old English character representing g, gh, or y. The same character is also occasionally used for "th," as "Ozyn" for "Othyn." In this case "z" is given as the equivalent.