Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 1, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby. Originally published by J Throsby, Nottingham, 1790.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
This Place also is reckoned with several others of the Soc of Newark, and was rated to Dane-geld or public Tax of those Times at seven Bovats.
(fn. 1) King Henry the Second confirmed the gift which Robert the Second (of that name) Bishop of Lincolne made to the Priory of St. Katherin's of five Bovats in Wiggesle.
(fn. 2) Hugh, Son of Lambert de Bussy, 41 H. 3. had Free Warren granted in Wigisille. And John Dyve had likewise, 5 Jun. 5 E. 1. Free Warren in Balderton and Wiggesley, which John de Bussy claimed at Notingham in the Quo. Warranto, 3 E. 3. (fn. 3)
(fn. 4) The Prior of St. Katherin's without Lincolne, at the same Time claimed to have the liberty to hold all his Tenements in Newarke, Codington, and Wygesle, well and peaceably; and in the 5 E. 3. (fn. 5) he had Free Warren granted in the two latter.
(fn. 6) Thornehawe and Wygesleye, 9 E. 2. answered for one Villa: the Lords then were said to be Richard Peres, James Peres, and John de Ely.
(fn. 7) But it appears that, 11 H. 7. Edmund Bussy, Esq. suffered a Recovery of the Manor of Wygesley, one Mess. three hundred Acres of Land, fifty of Meadow, one hundred of Pasture, and sixty of Wood, with the Appurtenances in Wygesley, Spaldford, North Clifton, and South Clifton, and called, &c. John Smalley, (fn. 8) and the same Edmund and Alice his Wife, 16 H. 7. suffered another of the same Parcels.
(fn. 9) Bussies Manor held of Newarke Castle, and is now become the Inheritance of Sir Richard Earl.
St. Katherin's share was granted, 36 H. 8. to John Bellowe and Edward Bales and their Heirs.
Hamlet parishes to Thorney, in this neighbourhood.