Parishes: Spaldford

Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 1, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby. Originally published by J Throsby, Nottingham, 1790.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

'Parishes: Spaldford', in Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 1, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby, (Nottingham, 1790) pp. 381-382. British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/thoroton-notts/vol1/pp381-382 [accessed 24 April 2024]

SPALDFORD.

The greatest part of this Town was of the Soc of Newark, which before and in the time of King William, was rated to the public Tax at three Car. and an half, which, together with the parcels in Scorverly, Greton, Torneshay, Wiggesley, (fn. 1) Herdrebye, and Cotum, together paid the Geld for six Car. and an half, and half a Bovat (though the parcels summed together amount to more.) The Land of all was twenty-one Car. three Bov. There were seventy-one Sochm. seven Bord. having twenty-one Car. and an half. There was two hundred and eighty Acres of Meadow, Pasture Wood five qu. long, four broad. This was the Bishop of Lincoln's. But here was some Soc to Clifton of Roger de Buslies Fee, which paid the Geld for four Bov. The Land one Car. There were two Sochm. had half a Car. and twelve Acres of Meadow in Clifton; which Town and Spaldford, (fn. 2) 9 E. 2. answered for one Villa, and the Bishop of Lincolne, and John de Bussy were then Lords of them.

(fn. 3) It appears that about 36 E. 3. Sir Richard Willughby had interest here.

(fn. 4) And the Certificate of the Lands of the Templars taken in the time of King Edward the second, shows, they had something here, as also in Codington, Thorpe by Newark, Stoke, Sireston, Elston, Gretton, Newark, Colingham, Sibthorpe, Flaufore, Barneby, Landeford, and many Towns in Lincolneshire thereabouts.

(fn. 5) At the Assises at Nottingham 10 H. 4. Thomas Chaworth, and two others, recovered their seisin of one Mess. one Toft, twenty-seven Acres of Land, and nine Acres of Meadow in Spaldeford and Wiggesley, and Raph Whytle, and two others were amerced.

(fn. 6) A Farm, Mess. and one Bov. of Land, with the Appurtenances in the Tenure of Nicholas Borell in Spalford, late belonging to the Preceptory of Willoughton in the County of Lincolne, and parcel of the possessions of the Hospital of St. John's of Hierusalem, 25 August 37 H. 8. were granted to Charles Sutton, Esquire, Richard Welby, Esquire, and Thomas Yorke, Gent. and their heirs.

Spaldford is within the Parish of Clifton.

A hamlet in the Parish of Clifton.

Footnotes

  • 1. Lib. Dooms.
  • 2. Nom. Vill.
  • 3. Esc. 36 E. 3. n. 8. par. 2.
  • 4. Esc. 18 E. 3. n. 97.
  • 5. Assis. apud Nott. 10 H. 4. ro. 81.
  • 6. Par. 12. pat. 37 H. 8.