Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 2, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby. Originally published by J Throsby, Nottingham, 1790.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.


Robert Thoroton, 'Attenborough', in Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 2, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby, ed. John Throsby( Nottingham, 1790), British History Online [accessed 22 July 2024].

Robert Thoroton, 'Attenborough', in Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 2, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby. Edited by John Throsby( Nottingham, 1790), British History Online, accessed July 22, 2024,

Robert Thoroton. "Attenborough". Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 2, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby. Ed. John Throsby(Nottingham, 1790), , British History Online. Web. 22 July 2024.

In this section


This place lies in the corner, where the river of Yrewis or Erwas, which parts the Counties of Nottingham and Derby, falls into Trent, and is rather to be called a Church than a Village, having but few houses, and no Fields. The Church serves for Chillewelle, and Toueton, and part of Bramcote. Half of it was in the Conquerors time with Chillewelle, of the see of Ralph Fitz-Hubart, and shortly after at or near the foundation of the priory of Lenton, given to that monastery by Odo de Boney, and afterwards confirmed by his successour Edward, and Aeliz his wife, as in Boney and Barton is shown. The other half with Touton, was of Peverells fee, and came to the Lords of Codenour in Derbyshire.

Betwixt Henry Lord Grey, and a prior and Covent of Lenton, there was a case depending in the Kings court, which could not be there determined according to their minds in forty years, concerning the right of patronage of the moyety of the Church of Adinboro. (fn. 1) At length Richard Lord Grey, son and heir of the said Henry, and the prior, totally submitted the controversie to W. Arch-bishop of Yorke, who to make peace, and avoid the effusion of blood, ordained that the Prior and his successors should have tythes to the value of forty shillings yearly, in the name of a simple benefice, in that moyety of the chapel of Bramcote, whereof Mr. Robert de Stanford was then rector, and who also gave his consent, and that the right of patronage of the other mediety should remain to the said Richard Lord Grey, and his heirs. This ordinance bears date in January 1246. The rector was to have the other Mark, which remained of the then full value of those tythes, and the prior was to pay a pound of Frankincense at Adinboro feast every year. This was afterwards confirmed by William Arch-bishop of York, as it seemeth.

John de Grey of Cudnoure Chr. by fine. 13 E. 3. passed one acre of land in Foueton, and the advowson of the Church of Adyingburgh, which Thomas de Vaus then held for life, by vertue of a fine levied at York (fn. 2) the day after All Souls, 11 E. 3. to the prior and covent of Felley, and their successours; to which monastery it was appropriated by William Arch-bishop of York, about the year 1343, (fn. 3)

The Church and rectory, with the advowson of the vicarage, late belonging to the priory of Felley, King Edward the sixth granted, May 4, in the seventh year of his reign, to Sir James Folejambe, Knight, for the rent of 181. per annum. It was by . . . .Folejambe given to a charitable use for Chesterfield school (as I take it) to which it remains.

The vicarage of Adynbrughe was ten Marks, when the prior of Felley was patron. 'Tis now 4l, 6s. 8d. in the Kings books, and Sir Francis Folejambe patron. (fn. 4)

In the Church were the arms of Babington impalling with quarterly Ermine, and Chequey Or, and Gules. And Nevile, viz. Gules, a Saltier Ermine, impaling with Babington, And Leake impaling Babington, and Arg. two Bars Azure. (fn. 5)

Upon a plain stone there was also,

Here lieth Thomas Trowell, and Dianise, and Margaret his wives, Henry, John, William, John, Elizabeth, Annes, John, Margaret, Alice, his Children by Dianise his wife; which Thomas died Anno 1536. the 2. of May.

[Throsby] Attenborough.

Is now as in Thoroton's time, a village of about 15 houses and no field. It stands upon the lordship of Toneton Chillwell.

The church has a respectable appearance. It consists of a nave and side aisles, and a good chancel. It has a spire steeple with 5 bells. Here are some remains of painting on glass, in the windows, and some very rude figures on the capitals of the pillars, which support the roof. The church is dedicated to St. Mary.

Near the entrance into the chancel Francis Jaques, gent. is remembered who died in 1606. Here are several floor stones, some with crosses thereon, but the inscriptions are defaced. On one is a neat little brass 8 inches long, represented page 243 fig. 4. Vol. 1. In the church yard: Mary Lown died in 1754 aged 12 years, her stone has these lines.

" The blast that nipt my youth will conquer thee; It strikes the bud, the blossom and the tree Since life is short and death is always nigh Of many years to come—let none rely. The present time learn wisely to employ That thou mayest gain eternal life and joy."

Attenborough with Bramcote. Patron Francis Foljambe Esq. Incumbent Rev. Samuel Turner, V. K. B. 4l. 15s. 0d. yearly tenths 18l. 15s. 0d. real value 60l. archiepisc. ad Festum Michælis 3s. Val in mans. cum gleb. ibid. per ann. 10s. decim. proc. ans. ov. lin. canab. lan. agn &c. Pri Felley, propr. The King presented in 1711. Francis Foljambe Esq. 1748. 1767. Francis Ferrand Foljambe Esq. 1783.


  • 1. Regist de. Lenton, p. 47.
  • 2. Fin. lev. a die Pase, in 15 [..] & postea in Oct. S. Mic., 13 E 3.
  • 3. Mon. Ang vol. 2. p. 57
  • 4. Mss. J. B.
  • 5. Ex Coll. S. Lo Kniveton.