Pages 400-401

Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 3, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby. Originally published by J Throsby, Nottingham, 1796.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.


SHIREOKES another Hamlet.

William de Lovetot the founder, and Rich, de Lovetot his son, (fn. 1) gave most of it to the monastery, viz. the mill and several dwelling houses and bovats of land and the land between the water and the river towards the south, and the way which leads to Holm Ker from the ford which was by the potters house, and twenty and two acres beyond the said river from the south, between the way of Holmker and the bound of Thorpe and Colmancrofts.

(fn. 2) King Henry the eighth, 16 August, 38 H: 8, granted to Robert Thornehill, esquire, and Hugh Thornebill, gent. all that manor, demesne, or grange, with the appurtenances of Sherokes beneath the hamlet of Sheroks in the parish of Worksoppe. And all mess. lands and tenements in Sheroks, Gatford, and Derfolde, and all tythes in those hamlets of the yearly value of 17l. 13s. 4d. And a mess. lands and tenements in Hayton in the tenure of Thomas Peke, late belonging to the monastery of Worksop, &c. to hold to them and their heirs, paying yearly for the manor of Sheroks 35s. 4d. 0b.— It came from Thornehill to — Hewitt, a citizen of London, whose posterity still enjoy it. Sir Thomas Hewitt had it.


  • 1. Mon. Angl. vol. 2, p. 54.
  • 2. Par. 3, pat. 38 H: 8.