A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
SLACKSTEAD, a tything, in the parish of FarleyChamberlayne, union of Hursley, hundred of King'sSombourn, Romsey and S. divisions of the county of Southampton; containing 37 inhabitants.
Slad, or Slade
SLAD, or Slade, a hamlet, partly in the parish of Painswick, and partly in that of Stroud, union of Stroud, hundred of Bisley, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 2 miles (N. E. by E.) from Stroud. This hamlet, which is on the road to Cheltenham, is divided by a stream of water (that separates the parishes of Painswick and Stroud) into two parts, called respectively Painswick Slad and Stroud Slad. The scenery is agreeably diversified: in the vale are several clothing manufactories, one of them, in Stroud Slad, being among the largest in the west of England. An elegant district chapel was erected in 1831, through the exertions of Mrs. Rucker, on a site given by the lord of the manor.
SLADE-GREEN, a hamlet, in the parish of Crayford, union of Dartford, hundred of Lessness, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W. division of the county of Kent; containing 66 inhabitants.
Slaidburn (St. Andrew)
SLAIDBURN (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Clitheroe, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York; containing, with the townships of High Bowland Forest, Easington, and Newton, 1792 inhabitants, of whom 741 are in Slaidburn township, 8 miles (N. by W.) from Clitheroe. The parish comprises by computation 35,570 acres, of which 5617, including 1200 common or waste, are in the township. The lands are chiefly in pasture, and great numbers of cattle are reared in this extensive mountainous and moorland district. The village is situated in a valley, on the river Hodder, and the scenery around it is very beautiful: large cattle-fairs are held here on the Wednesday before Easter, on WhitMonday, and the 4th of November. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at 32; net income, 336; patron, Thomas Wiglesworth, Esq. The tithes of the township of Slaidburn have been commuted for 112, and the glebe consists of 11 acres. The church was built in the 13th or 14th century. There is a place of worship for Methodists at Slaidburn, one for Presbyterians at Newton, and the parish contains one, with a burial-ground, for the Society of Friends. A free grammar school was established in 1717, by John Brennand, who bequeathed an estate in trust, 200 of the proceeds being for the erection of a school-house, 50 a year for a master, and 30 for an usher. A chantry was founded in 1332, by Stephen de Hamerton, in the chapel of St. Mary then existing on his manor of Hamerton, for a secular chaplain to celebrate mass for the repose of the souls of himself, his father, and his mother.
SLAITHWAITE, a chapelry, in the parishes of Huddersfield and Almondbury, union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York; containing, with the township of Lingarths, 3726 inhabitants, of whom 2925 are in Slaithwaite township, 5 miles (W. S. W.) from Huddersfield. This chapelry comprises 3073a. 3r. 3p.: the lands are in meadow and pasture, with a small portion of arable; the scenery is bold and romantic. In the quarries of the district are found vegetable fossils, especially firs and other mountain trees. The village is beautifully seated in the valley of the river Colne; the inhabitants are chiefly employed in the woollen manufacture, in the spinning of cotton and silk, and in silk-weaving. Slaithwaite Hall, an ancient mansion, situated on a hill which has indications of having been a fortified station, is now divided into cottages: the old manor-house near the chapel is still used for holding the courts leet of the manor of Slaithwaite cum Lingarths, of which the Earl of Dartmouth is lord. About the year 1820, a spring strongly impregnated with sulphur was discovered, and also a chalybeate spring, in their properties closely resembling the waters of Harrogate. Mr. Richard Varley has since erected baths with every requisite accommodation for the use of the waters, has built several cottages for visiters, and laid out gardens and pleasuregrounds, which are tastefully embellished. On an analysis by Mr. West, of Leeds, an imperial gallon of the sulphureous spa was found to contain, 0.7 grains of chloride of calcium, 0.4 of chloride of magnesia, 2.5 of chloride of sodium, and 20.4 of carbonate of soda: the gases are sulphuretted hydrogen, 0.75 of a cubic inch; carbonic acid 1.25, and carburetted hydrogen, 4.75. An inflammable gas rises from the surface of the water. The chalybeate spring was found to contain in an imperial gallon 3.4 grains of sulphate, 4.0 of carbonate of lime, 2.4 of carbonate of magnesia, and 3.3 of oxide of iron. There are several reservoirs in the district, one of which, comprising 17 acres, is for the supply of the Huddersfield canal. The road from Leeds to Manchester intersects the village, and is nearly parallel, on the south side, with the river Colne and the canal. Fairs for cattle are held on the Friday before May-day, and the last Friday in October.
The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, 192; patron, the Vicar of Huddersfield. The ancient chapel, repaired in 1593, and rebuilt in 1719, stood near the river, where is now a cemetery. In 1788, the building was taken down, and the present spacious though plain edifice erected on ground given by the Earl of Dartmouth; the tower was added in 1814, and an additional cemetery, on the north side, was consecrated in 1842. The free school was founded and endowed in 1721, by the Rev. Robert Meeke, then incumbent, and has an income amounting, with subsequent benefactions, to 42; the master must be a communicant, but not the incumbent, of Slaithwaite. The school-house, which adjoins the ancient chapelyard, was rebuilt in 1744, and again in 1842. There is also a national school, for which a handsome building was erected in 1840, at an expense of 650: it is endowed with a surplus fund of 150; and a building erected in 1825 for a proprietary grammar school has been taken on lease for the residence of the master and mistress. The Slaigh or Sloe tree, which formerly spread over a great part of the district, gave the original name of Slaighthwaite to the township; and from the Ling plant the township of Lingarths derives its name.
SLALEY, a parish, in the union of Hexham, E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 5 miles (S. E. by S.) from Hexham; containing 547 inhabitants. It comprises about 7430 acres of land, lying south of the Devil's water and Dipton, and west of Heeley burn. Prior to the inclosure of Bulbeck common in 1771, a great portion of the district was moory waste; but nearly the whole is now under cultivation, and the parish has assumed a pleasing appearance, adorned with thriving woods and plantations. Some of the buildings have been much improved of late years, and others have been superseded by modern erections, covered with blue or grey slates, instead of thatch. Here is a valuable stone-quarry. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, 103; patron, T. W. Beaumont, Esq.; impropriators, R. Trevelyan and H. Witham, Esqrs. The foundation stone of a new church was laid on the 25th of May, 1832; the old church had become a mass of ruins, and totally unfit for the celebration of divine service.
Slapton (Holy Cross)
SLAPTON (Holy Cross), a parish, in the union of Leighton-Buzzard, hundred of Cottesloe, county of Buckingham, 3 miles (S. S. E.) from LeightonBuzzard; containing, with part of Horton hamlet, 336 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1170a. 1r., of which about two-thirds are arable, and the remainder pasture; the soil is clay, and the surface generally level. The Grand Junction canal passes through the parish, and the London and Birmingham railway within a mile of the church. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at 14. 9. 7.; net income, 172; patrons, the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Slapton (St. Mary)
SLAPTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Kingsbridge, hundred of Coleridge, Stanborough and Coleridge, and S. divisions of Devon, 7 miles (S. W.) from Dartmouth; containing 726 inhabitants. This place belonged to Sir Guy de Brien, Knt., standardbearer to Edward III., whom he attended at the battle of Calais in 1349, on which occasion, having greatly distinguished himself by his intrepidity, he was rewarded with a grant of 200 marks per annum, payable out of the exchequer during his life. Sir Guy founded a chantry in the church for a rector and four priests, and endowed it with 10 per annum in land, and with the advowson of the living. The parish comprises about 3000 acres. The living is a discharged perpetual curacy; net income, 96; patron, William Paige, Esq.; impropriators, the landowners. Thomas Knyghton, in 1629, left an estate now producing about 30 a year, for the repair of the town-houses, and for the poor; and John and Charles Kelland, about 1690, bequeathed the sum of 150, which, with accumulations, now produces about 35 per annum, for purposes of instruction.
Slapton (St. Botolph)
SLAPTON (St. Botolph), a parish, in the union of Towcester, hundred of Greens-Norton, S. division of the county of Northampton, 3 miles (W. S. W.) from Towcester; containing 208 inhabitants. It comprises about 600 acres, of which two-thirds are arable, and the remainder pasture. The soil is chiefly clay, alternated with loam, and in the higher lands consists of gravel and sand; the surface on the south is flat, and a brook bounds the parish on this side, separating it from Abthorpe. Limestone abounds. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at 9. 9. 9.; patron, the Rev. Thomas Coleman Welch. The church is an ancient structure with a tower, and a handsome chancel window. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Slaugham (St. Mary)
SLAUGHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Cuckfield, hundred of Buttinghill, rape of Lewes, E. division of Sussex, 4 miles (S. by W.) from Crawley; containing 1286 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3088 acres, of which 1136 are common or waste land. It is situated on the road from London, through Crawley, to Brighton; and the river Ouse has its source here, in the grounds of Ashford, forming in its course a lake of about thirty acres at Slaugham mills. The surface is diversified with hill and dale; the soil is sandy, and generally poor. There are considerable remains of the old manorhouse of Slaugham Place, the ancient seat of the Covert family; the grand staircase was given by the late Colonel Sergison to the proprietor of the Star inn, Lewes, and was erected in that house. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at 10.19. 2., and in the patronage of Mrs. A. Sergison; net income, 282. The church was enlarged in 1837, and contains a splendid monument to the Coverts. There is a place of worship for Baptists.
SLAUGHTER, LOWER, a parish, in the union of Stow, Lower division of the hundred of Slaughter, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3 miles (S. W.) from Stow; containing 222 inhabitants. The living is annexed to the rectory of Bourton-on-the-Water.
Slaughter, Upper (St. Peter)
SLAUGHTER, UPPER (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Stow, Lower division of the hundred of Slaughter, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3 miles (S. W. by W.) from Stow; containing 231 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 1727 acres of land, chiefly arable, with some good meadow. The surface is hilly, being a portion of the Cotswold range; and the lower grounds are watered by two brooks, which, after flowing through the parish, unite with a third, together forming the river Windrush. The substratum contains stone, which is quarried for building purposes as occasion requires. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at 14. 14. 2.; net income, 131; patron and incumbent, the Rev. W. E. Witts. The tithes were commuted for land in 1731; the glebe altogether comprises 227 acres. The church is in the Norman style, with subsequent additions.
Slaughterford (St. Nicholas)
SLAUGHTERFORD (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union and hundred of Chippenham, Chippenham and Calne, and N. divisions of the county of Wilts, 5 miles (N. by W.) from Chippenham; containing 156 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Biddestone.
Slawston (All Saints)
SLAWSTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Uppingham, hundred of Gartree, S. division of the county of Leicester, 5 miles (N. E. by N.) from Harborough; containing 250 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at 6. 5. 7.; net income, 174; patron, the Earl of Cardigan; impropriators, the family of Tailby, and others. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1793.