A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
MANEA, a chapelry, in the parish of Coveney, union of North Witchford, hundred of South Witchford, Isle of Ely, county of Cambridge, 7 miles (S. E. by S.) from March; containing 1077 inhabitants. Here is a station of the Ely and Peterborough railway, eight miles from the Ely station. Besides the chapel, there is a place of worship for Wesleyans; also a national school.
Manewden (St. Mary)
MANEWDEN (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bishop-Stortford, hundred of Clavering, N. division of Essex, 4 miles (N.) from Bishop-Stortford; containing 688 inhabitants. It comprises 2486a. 2r. 36p., of which 2057 acres are arable, 316 meadow and pasture, and 66 woodland. A considerable trade is carried on in malt, for which there are two malt-houses. The village is situated in a fertile valley on the banks of the river Stort; a fair is held in it on Easter-Monday, chiefly for toys and pedlery. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at 14; impropriator, Launcelot A. Cousmaker, Esq.: the great tithes have been commuted for 630, the vicarial for 215, and the glebe comprises 55 acres. The church is an ancient cruciform structure, with a tower, and contains some handsome monuments.
Manfield (All Saints)
MANFIELD (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Darlington, partly in the wapentake of GillingWest, but chiefly in that of Gilling-East, N. riding of York, 5 miles (W. by S.) from Darlington; containing with the township of Cliffe, 474 inhabitants, of whom 420 are in the township of Manfield. The parish is bounded on the north by the Tees, and comprises 3454a. 12p., of which 2173 acres are arable, 1195 pasture, and 86 woodland; the surface is undulated, the scenery picturesque, and towards the river the soil is rich and productive, The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at 6. 1. 3., and in the patronage of the Crown; income, 466. The great tithes have been commuted for 35, and the small for 283: the vicar has a glebe of 105 acres. The church is a handsome ancient structure, with a fine square tower. There is a national school with an endowment of 12 a year.
MANGERSBURY, a hamlet, in the parish and union of Stow-on-the-Wold, Upper division of the hundred of Slaughter, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 1 mile (S. S. E.) from Stow; containing 486 inhabitants. The union workhouse is situated here. The Roman Fosse-way passes through the hamlet.
Mangotsfield (St. James)
MANGOTSFIELD (St. James), a parish, in the union of Keynsham, hundred of Barton-Regis, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 5 miles (N. E. by E.) from Bristol; containing 3864 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2442a. 3r. 31p. of arable and pasture land in nearly equal parts, and 90 acres of common or waste. A considerable portion of the Kingswood mining district is included within the parish, and coal is found in abundance; there are also quarries of good paving-stone. The Gloucester and Bristol railway has a station here. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, 136; patron, Thomas Wadham, Esq. In addition to the parochial church, a neat chapel of ease, dedicated to Our Saviour, was built at Downend in 1831, by subscription, aided by a grant of 1000 from the Incorporated Society; it is a handsome edifice in the later English style, and contains 1024 sittings, of which 770 are free. There are places of worship for Independents and other dissenters.
MANLEY, a township, in the parish of Frodsham, union of Runcorn, Second division of the hundred of Eddisbury, S. division of Cheshire, 4 miles (S. by W.) from Frodsham; containing 385 inhabitants. The township comprises 1105 acres, of which 60 are common or waste: the soil is partly sand, and partly clay. There is a quarry of excellent white freestone, from which Eaton Hall, near Chester, was erected.
MANNINGFORD-ABBOTTS, a parish, in the union of Pewsey, hundred of Swanborough, Everley and Pewsey, and N. divisions of Wilts, 1 mile (W. S. W.) from Pewsey; containing 148 inhabitants. This parish, which belonged to the abbey of Llanthony, and subsequently, by grant from the crown, formed part of the large possessions of the Protector, the Duke of Somerset, comprises by computation 918 acres, whereof 670 are arable, 228 pasture, and 20 woodland. Its soil in some parts is sandy, and in others a clayey loam; the surface is gently undulated, and the lower grounds are watered by a rivulet which, in its course to Salisbury, obtains the name of the Avon. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at 9. 10. 2.; net income, 300; patron, Sir J. D. Astley, Bart.
MANNINGFORD-BOHUN, a tything, in the parish of Wilsford, union of Pewsey, hundred of Swanborough, Everley and Pewsey, and S. divisions of Wilts, 2 miles (S. W.) from Pewsey; containing 283 inhabitants. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for 267, payable to St. Nicholas' Hospital, Sarum, and the vicarial tithes for 133. 10.
Manningford-Bruce (St. Peter)
MANNINGFORD-BRUCE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Pewsey, hundred of Swanborough, Everley and Pewsey, and N. divisions of Wilts, 2 miles (S. W.) from Pewsey; containing 265 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1100 acres: the soil is in some parts peat resting upon clay, in others sandy and light, and in some gravelly, with a substratum of chalk; the surface is generally flat, but towards the downs rises into gentle eminences, and the lower grounds are watered by a stream which flows into the Avon. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at 10. 3. 4., and in the gift of T. Barnard, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for 310, and the glebe comprises one acre. The church is an ancient structure, with a circular chancel; over the altar is a tablet inscribed to the memory of Mary Nicholas, who was instrumental in the preservation of Charles II., after his defeat at Worcester.
MANNINGHAM, a township, in the parish, borough, and union of Bradford, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, of a mile (N. W.) from Bradford; containing 5622 inhabitants. This township, which forms part of the north-western suburbs of Bradford, comprises by measurement 1230 acres, whereof 658 are arable, and 572 pasture; the soil of the arable land is fertile, and the scenery is generally picturesque. Manningham Hall, the seat of E. C. Lister Kaye, Esq., is a handsome mansion, erected on the site of the ancient house of the Lister family, taken down in 1770, and is surrounded by a park. The worsted manufacture is carried on. St. Jude's, a district church, was erected in 1842, at an expense of 3600, exclusive of the site, valued at 2000; the funds were raised by subscription, aided by a grant of 500 from the Ripon Diocesan Society. It is a handsome structure in the Norman style, from a design by Walker Rawstorne, Esq., and contains about 1000 sittings, of which 366 are free. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Bradford; net income, 150. A second church has been erected more recently, and a district has been assigned to it by the Ecclesiastical Commission: the living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of 150, and the next presentation belongs to John Hollings, Esq. The edifice, which is cruciform, and dedicated to St. Paul the Apostle, was built at a cost of about 3000, not including the site, and consists of a nave, north and south aisles, chancel, and transepts, with a central tower and spire 140 feet in height; it accommodates 600 persons.
MANNINGTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Gussage All Saints, union of Wimborne and Cranborne, hundred of Knowlton, Wimborne division of Dorset; containing 76 inhabitants.
MANNINGTON, a parish, in the union of Aylsham, hundred of South Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 4 miles (N. W. by N.) from Aylsham; containing 20 inhabitants. It comprises 548a. 1r. 26p., of which 423 acres are arable, 61 meadow and pasture, and 63 woodland. Mannington Hall is an ancient mansion, erected by William Lumner, who had license to convert it into a castle; it is surrounded by a moat. The living is a discharged rectory, annexed to that of Itteringham, and valued in the king's books at 1. 16. 5. The church, which is near the Hall, has long been in a state of decay, and forms a picturesque ruin.
Manningtree (St. Michael)
MANNINGTREE (St. Michael), a market-town and parish, in the union and hundred of Tendring, N. division of Essex, 9 miles (N. E. by E.) from Colchester, and 61 (N. E. by E.) from London; containing 1255 inhabitants. This place was anciently called Scidinghoo, or, as in Domesday book, Sciddinchou; and in the reign of Henry VIII. it had received the name of Many tree, of which the present appellation is an obvious corruption. Here was a guild, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, the revenue of which was 8. 5. 4.; and the importance of the place may be inferred from a certificate of the value of some chantry lands, in which it is termed "a great town and also a haven town, having in it to the number of 700 houseling people." The parish is extremely salubrious, and occupies the most pleasant situation in the hundred; it is bounded on the north by the river Stour. The town is on the southern bank of the river, on the road from London to Harwich, and is irregularly built; the streets are paved and lighted with oil, and the inhabitants are amply supplied with excellent water. The malt-trade is carried on to a great extent, and a brewery here produces annually 5000 barrels of strong ale. At spring tides, vessels drawing six feet of water come up to the quay, bringing corn, coal, deals, &c. The Stour was made navigable from the town to Sudbury, by act of parliament in the 4th and 5th of the reign of Anne. A station here of the Ipswich and Colchester railway is about midway between the stations at those two towns. The market is on Thursday, for corn and cattle; and there is a fair for toys on the Thursday in Whitsun-week. The pettysessions for the division of Tendring take place on Mondays at Mistley and Thorpe alternately, when overseers, surveyors, and constables are appointed; and a court baron is held here annually by the lords of the manor of Mistley and Manningtree. The village of Mistley, about half a mile from the town, consists of several handsome houses; and a fair is held by permission on the green there, on the 8th and 9th of August. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rector of Mistley. The church consists of a nave, with north and south aisles separated from the nave by ranges of massive pillars, and contains a monument on which is an inscription recording that a fuller, named Thomas Osmond, was burnt here for heresy, June 15th, 1555. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans.
Mansell-Gamage (St. Giles)
MANSELL-GAMAGE (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Weobley, hundred of Grimsworth, county of Hereford, 8 miles (W. N. W.) from Hereford; containing 136 inhabitants, and comprising 1279 acres. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, valued in the king's books at 5. 6. 8., and in the patronage of Sir J. G. Cotterell, Bart.: the vicarial tithes have been commuted for 114, and the rectorial for 93. 16. 6.; there are 2 acres of glebe. The church is seated on an eminence.
Mansell-Lacy (St. Michael)
MANSELL-LACY (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Weobley, hundred of Grimsworth, county of Hereford, 7 miles (N. W. by W.) from Hereford; containing 315 inhabitants. The parish is situated near the road from Hereford to Weobley, and comprises by computation 1335 acres, of which 569 are arable, 613 meadow and pasture, and 73 woodland. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at 5. 3. 11.; net income, 162; patron, Sir R. Price, Bart.; impropriators, the Trustees of Price's Hospital. The great tithes have been commuted for 135, and the small for 92: the glebe contains about 8 acres. The church is a neat edifice, in the later English style.
MANSERGH, a chapelry, in the parish of KirkbyLonsdale, union of Kendal, Lonsdale ward, county of Westmorland, 3 miles (N. N. W.) from KirkbyLonsdale; containing 232 inhabitants. It is a wild district situated on the west side of the river Lune, and comprises about 3000 acres. An act was passed in 1837, for inclosing 900 acres of waste land, of which a few were appropriated for the recreation of the inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, 85; patron, the Vicar of Kirkby-Lonsdale; impropriators, the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge, whose tithes have been commuted for 124. The chapel, dedicated to St. Peter, was built in the year 1726. There is a school, erected and endowed by Christopher Wilson, Esq.
Mansfield (St. Peter)
MANSFIELD (St. Peter), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the N. division of the wapentake of Broxtow and of the county of Nottingham, 14 miles (N. by W.) from Nottingham, and 138 (N. N. W.) from London; containing, with the hamlet of Pleasley-hill, 9788 inhabitants. The name of this place, anciently written Maunsfield, is derived from its situation on the small river Mann or Maun, which rises about three miles westward. The town is of great antiquity: it is supposed to have been of British or Roman origin; and during the heptarchy was a temporary residence of the Mercian kings, for the convenience of hunting in the Royal Forest of Sherwood. In the reigns of Edward the Confessor, William the Conqueror, and William Rufus, it was a royal demesne, and the place so continued till the time of Elizabeth, except that, in the reign of Henry VIII., it was, with other manors, held for a time by the Duke of Norfolk: it was ultimately granted away, by letters-patent, in the 44th of Elizabeth. Until the year 1715, the courts for the Forest of Sherwood, a district celebrated in ballad story as the scene of the exploits of the renowned archer, Robin Hood, and his band of freebooters, were held at Mansfield.
The town is situated on the road from Nottingham to Sheffield, in a deep vale, in the centre of the ancient forest, and has five chief streets, besides others branching from them, which are narrow and irregular; the houses are principally built of stone, and at the entrance to the town from Southwell are several excavated in the sandstone rock. Many improvements have been made within the last few years, under acts of parliament obtained in 1823 and 1825, agreeably with the provisions of one of which the town is lighted with gas, by a jointstock company; the approach from the Nottingham road has been widened, and the market-place considerably enlarged. Races take place at the July fair. The townhall, situated in the market-place, is a handsome structure of stone, in the Grecian style of architecture, erected by a company in 1836, at a cost of about 8000; it comprises a room for petty-sessions, a newsroom, library, and assembly and card rooms, with a policestation, and a market-house and shambles, adjoining. The building forms a striking feature in the town.
In the parish are numerous establishments for Manufacturing purposes. Eleven of these are situated on the little rivers Maun and Medin, and are propelled by steam and water power. To insure a better supply of water for the mills, and for his extensive irrigation canals, the Duke of Portland a few years since constructed a reservoir of about 70 acres, on the site of an old flour-mill, and in the picturesque vale where it stood, famed by the story of "the Miller of Mansfield." This fine sheet of water forms a prominent object in the neighbourhood, and the mill-owners pay a yearly rent to the Duke of Portland for the advantage they derive from it. Most of the mills are the property of his grace. The king's mill, for grinding corn, is at the head of the reservoir, and in the occupation of Mr. W. Adlington. Hermitage mill, in the occupation of Mr. James Fisher, of Radford, is employed in the manufacture of lace, which is produced here of the most beautiful texture. The Bleakhills mill and Little Matlock mill are employed in making sewing-thread. The Field mill, on the Nottingham road, the largest in the parish, tenanted by Messrs. R. Greenhalgh and Sons; the Stanton mill, also held by Messrs. Greenhalgh; the Old mill, situated in the town; and the Bath mill, are all engaged in the manufacture of doubled-yarns used in the lace trade and other branches of production where cotton is the chief material consumed. They employ between 400 and 500 hands, and contain above 30,000 spindles. These four mills were erected for the spinning of cotton, and were so employed until the last few years; but this branch of the cotton trade has now left the neighbourhood, with the exception of the mills at Pleasley and two other places. Besides the above mills are, another lace factory, stocking and glove manufactures both of silk and cotton, bleaching-works, iron-foundries for light castings, two wood-turning mills, and mustard, chicory, and tobacco manufactories. A very extensive business is carried on in malt, and also in cutting and working into blocks and architectural ornaments the fine freestone obtained in the adjacent quarries. The stone thus wrought is principally found in this and the neighbouring parish of Mansfield-Woodhouse; and mills of very ingenious construction for sawing it into slabs for flooring, and preparing it for building purposes, have been erected in and near the town, affording employment to a number of the population, and adding a new and important feature to the manufactures of the place. Branches of the Midland railway are in course of formation, to connect the town with Nottingham and other parts. In the reign of Henry III., the inhabitants procured a charter for a market on Monday, afterwards altered to Thursday; and also the privilege of housebote and haybot, or timber for repairs, and wood for fences, out of the forest, which they still enjoy. The market has been held on Thursday from time immemorial; and there are a fair on July 10th, for the sale of cattle and hogs, and a chartered fair on the second Thursday in October, for horses, cattle, sheep, and cheese. The powers of the county debt-court of Mansfield, established in 1847, extend over part of the registration-district of Mansfield. The town is the place of election for the Northern division of the county.
The parish comprises, according to the recent tithecommutation survey, 6447a. 3r. 27p., of which 2000 acres consist of uninclosed forest lands, 82 acres of wood and plantations, aud the remainder of meadow land, pasture, garden-ground, &c. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at 7. 7. 6.; present income, 400 per annum; patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. A chaplaincy is attached to the church, for the support of which the vicar and churchwardens were incorporated, and invested with lands, in the 4th and 5th of Philip and Mary. The church exhibits specimens of each style, from the Norman to the later English; the two lower portions of the tower are early Norman, and there is one window in the early English style; the arches, piers, and north door, are of good decorated character: the tower is surmounted by a low spire. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, General Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, Primitive Wesleyans, and Unitarians. The free grammar school was founded by letters-patent of Elizabeth, dated March 8th, 1561: the lands belonging to it and to the chaplaincy having become undistinguishable, it was privately agreed after a suit in chancery, in 1682, that two-thirds of the income of the estate should be paid to the chaplain, and the remaining third to the master of the school and his assistant. A scholarship of 10 per annum was founded in 1673 at Jesus College, Cambridge, by Dr. Sterne, Archbishop of York, for a native of Mansfield. A free school was established in 1702. In 1709, Samuel Brunt bequeathed lands, directing the proceeds, which then amounted to 436. 15. a year, to be applied chiefly to the relief of poor inhabitants. In 1725, Faith Clerkson left the sum of 2000 to trustees, partly for erecting two school-houses, and partly to be vested in land, the rental to be divided between Mansfield and Mansfield-Woodhouse; and in 1784, Charles Thompson bequeathed 1200 in the three per cents., one-half for the augmentation of Brunt's charity, and one-half for educating children, for whom a school was built in Toothill-lane. The present income of Brunt's charity, including Thompson's bequest, amounts to 1049. By deed dated January 15th, 1691, Elizabeth Heath founded almshouses for twelve persons, and endowed them with property now producing a rental of 244. 9., of which 70 are appropriated to the apprenticing of children: the trustees have recently built six additional almshouses, of stone, in Bull's Head lane. The poor-law union of Mansfield comprises 18 parishes or places, of which 9 are in each of the counties of Nottingham and Derby, the whole containing a population of 27,627 inhabitants: the workhouse is a large building on the Sutton road, erected in 1837, at a cost of 7000, and containing accommodation for 300 paupers. The savings' bank, in the market-place, was built in 1843.
Humphrey Ridley, an eminent physician and anatomist, was born here about 1653. Archbishop Sterne, and Dr. William Chappel, Bishop of Cork and Ross, in Ireland, were also natives of Mansfield: Robert Dodsley, author of the Economy of Human Life, was born in the vicinity, and apprenticed in the town; and James Murray, inventor of the patent circular saw, resided here. Sir William Murray, on being appointed lord chief justice of the court of king's bench, was elevated to the peerage, in 1756, by the title of Baron Mansfield, of which place he was created earl in 1776.
Mansfield-Woodhouse (St. Edmund)
MANSFIELD-WOODHOUSE (St. Edmund), a parish, in the union of Mansfield, N. division of the wapentake of Broxtow and of the county of Nottingham, 1 mile (N.) from Mansfield; containing 1871 inhabitants. This place, which anciently formed part of the parish of Mansfield, has undergone much improvement, and several hundred acres of barren waste have been converted into rich meadow land, by a judicious system of irrigation adopted by the Duke of Portland, who caused a canal to be cut through this parish and Clipstone, communicating with the river Maun. About 1300 acres here, with some land in Mansfield, constitute the only uninclosed portion of the ancient Forest of Sherwood. The substratum abounds with limestone of good quality, and there are extensive lime-kilns, and quarries of excellent freestone. The stone from the quarries of this vicinity has of late years obtained very great celebrity, and is of three varieties, the Woodhouse or Bolsover stone, and the Mansfield red, and Mansfield white, stone. The first, a most durable magnesian limestone, was chosen for the erection of the new houses of parliament at Westminster, for which purpose quarries were opened here by Mr. Lindley, the proprietor, on a hill bearing evident marks of having been quarried at a very remote period, and from which the stone used in the older portions of Southwell cathedral was extracted. It had long been matter of conjecture whence the material came of which that edifice was built, few structures of as early a date having their mouldings and finer carvings so well preserved; but from strict comparison of the stone of the cathedral with the beds in these quarries, no doubt now exists of the stone having been obtained from this place. On a part of the same range of limestone rock, is quarried a material which may be classed among British marbles, but its great solidity increases the difficulty of raising it, and prevents its being applied to ordinary building purposes. It possesses the transparency, and is susceptible of the polish, of foreign marble, with a slight tinge of colour sufficient to distinguish it from white. Of this marble, the memorial erected at Oxford to the Martyrs is composed.
The village is large, and contains several very respectable houses; many of the inhabitants are employed in frame-work knitting. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, 94; patron and impropriator, the Duke of Portland. The church is a large structure, with a spire, which was rebuilt in 1304, with one of the aisles, after having been injured by a fire, which also destroyed part of the village. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. A free school was founded by Faith Clerkson, in 1725, and endowed with land; Richard Radford, by deed dated May 10th, 1827, gave 800 for another school. In 1786, Major Rooke discovered two Roman vill in the parish: one of them contained nine rooms and a hypocaust, with part of a very elegant mosaic pavement in the centre room; the other contained thirteen rooms, two hypocausts, and a cold bath. About 100 yards to the south-east were two Roman sepulchres, in one of which was an urn containing ashes, with fragments of bones lying near it; and coins and various other Roman relics were also found. Dr. Mason, Bishop of Sodor and Man, was born in the parish.
MANSRIGGS, a township, in the parish and union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 1 mile (N.) from Ulverston; containing 63 inhabitants.
Manston (St. Nicholas)
MANSTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Sturminster, hundred of Redlane, Sturminster division of Dorset, 6 miles (S. W. by S.) from Shaftesbury; containing 127 inhabitants. It comprises 1346a. 1r. 31p., of which 83 acres are arable, and 1202 pasture and meadow: the river Stour forms a boundary between this parish and that of Fiddleford. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at 12. 5., and in the gift of the Rev. G. F. St. John: the tithes have been commuted for 315, and the glebe comprises 52 acres. The church is very ancient. Thomas Dibden, a divine, orator, and Latin poet, who died in the year 1741, was born here.
MANSWOOD, a hamlet, in the parish of MoreCritchill, union of Wimborne and Cranborne, hundred of Badbury, Wimborne division of the county of Dorset; containing 119 inhabitants.
MANTHORP, with Little Gonerby, a township, in the borough of Grantham, wapentake of Loveden, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 1 mile (N. N. E.) from Grantham; with 1968 inhabitants.
MANTHORPE, a hamlet, in the parish of Withamon-the-Hill, union of Bourne, wapentake of Beltisloe, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 3 miles (S. W. by S.) from the town of Bourne; containing 113 inhabitants.