A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Thrandeston (St. Margaret)
THRANDESTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the parliamentary borough of Eye, union and hundred of Hartismere, W. division of Suffolk, 3 miles (N. W.) from Eye; containing 373 inhabitants. A considerable fair is held on the 31st of July, chiefly for lambs and cattle. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8; net income, £391; patron, Sir E. Kerrison, Bart. The parsonage-house was much improved by the late incumbent, the Rev. Nathaniel D'Eye; the glebe contains about 13 acres. The church is chiefly in the later style, with a lofty embattled tower; the nave is lighted by clerestory windows, and separated from the chancel by a carved screen. There are some cottages and land, the rental of which, amounting to about £26, is applied to parochial purposes.
Thrapston, or Thrapstone (St. James)
THRAPSTON, or Thrapstone (St. James), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Navisford, N. division of the county of Northampton, 22 miles (N. E. by E.) from Northampton, and 75 (N. N. W.) from London; containing 1136 inhabitants. It is delightfully situated in a rich and luxuriant valley, on the eastern bank of the river Nen or Nene, over which is a bridge of several arches, constructed partly of wood and partly of stone, in 1795, in lieu of an old stone structure swept away by an inundation in that year. This bridge was enlarged a few years ago. The houses are neat and regularly built, and the inhabitants are supplied with excellent water. The vicinity is adorned with numerous residences of the nobility and gentry; there are 25 villages within five miles of the town, and from an adjacent eminence 32 churches may be seen. The town appears to have been more extensive than it is at present, as several traces of buildings destroyed by fire are visible. The principal articles of manufacture are whips and bobbin-lace; a few persons are employed in patten-making, and on the river are corn-mills and a paper-mill. Some trade is carried on in conveying grain by means of the Nene, which was made navigable in 1737, to Northampton, Peterborough, Lynn, and other places; and in bringing back timber, coal, and other commodities. Here is a station (a very handsome building in the Elizabethan style) of the Northampton and Peterborough railway; it is six miles from the Higham-Ferrers station, and eight from that of Oundle. The market, held on Tuesday, is the largest hog-market in the county, and is also for corn and seed. Fairs are held on the first Tuesday in May, for cattle and sheep, and on August 5th, for hiring servants, and for cattle, shoes, and pedlery: on the first Tuesday after Old Michaelmas-day, is a very large fair for cattle. There is a resident magistrate; and subordinate officers are appointed at the manorial court, at the court of the honour of Gloucester, and that for Navisford hundred, all of which are held here. The powers of the county debt-court of Thrapston, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Thrapston, and five adjacent parishes. The parish contains 1098 acres.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 5. 5., and has a net income of £348; it is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor. The glebe comprises 227½ acres, with a handsome house having a fine facade, built in 1837 by the present rector, the Rev. W. S. Bagshaw. The church is a cruciform structure combining the early, decorated, and later English styles, with a western tower and spire: the nave and aisles were recently rebuilt at a cost exceeding £1800. The chancel is of very chaste appearance, and has an elegant window ornamented in its foils with various specimens of stained glass; it contains three stone stalls with rich mouldings and crocketed canopies. The pews are uniform; ample accommodation is afforded to 500 persons, besides which are nearly 200 free sittings. In the churchyard is a very ancient and curious monument of the Vere family, former lords of the manor. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans, a national school, and Church and Baptist Sunday schools; also a clothing institution, two friendly societies, and a society of Odd Fellows. The poor-law union comprises 26 parishes or places, 20 of which are in the county of Northampton, and 6 in that of Huntingdon; and contains a population of 12,041.
Threapland, with Bothel.—See Bothel.
THREAPLAND, with Bothel.—See Bothel.
Threckingham (St. Peter)
THRECKINGHAM (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Sleaford, wapentake of Aveland, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 2 miles (N. E. by N.) from Falkingham; containing, with the hamlet of Stow, 197 inhabitants. The road from Bridge-End, Spalding, and Boston, to Grantham, runs through the parish. A rough kind of stone is quarried for building and for the roads. A fair is held in June for horses and general stock, and another in July for hardware and various fancy articles. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 8. 9.; net income, £144; patron and impropriator, Sir G. Heathcote, Bart. The tithes were commuted for land in 1768. The church has a lofty tower and spire, and exhibits a curious admixture of the Norman, early English, and decorated styles: in the chancel is an elegant stall; the font is circular, with early English panelling, and there are some old monuments and good screen-work. Vestiges of Roman roads may be traced in the neighbourhood; and remains of ancient barrows are to be seen, the memorials of a battle fought between the Danes and Saxons: in this battle, three Danish kings in succession were killed on the first day's fight, but the Saxons were at last defeated, partly by a ruse de guerre, and partly by numerous reinforcements being received by the Danes.
THREE-FARMS, a township, in the parish of Eccleshall, poor-law union of Stone, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford; containing 71 inhabitants.
THRELKELD, a chapelry, in the parish of Greystock, union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 4½ miles (E. N. E.) from Keswick; containing 332 inhabitants. It comprises 2200 acres, onethird of which is poor pasture and in woodland, and the remainder about equally divided between arable and meadow. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £53; patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt by subscription in 1776, at a cost of £270.
THRESHFIELD, a township, in the parish of Linton, union of Skipton, E. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York, 9 miles (N.) from Skipton; containing 221 inhabitants. This township, including the hamlet of Skythorne, comprises about 1990 acres, chiefly meadow and pasture; the soil is generally light, resting on limestone. A school is endowed with £30 per annum.
THREXTON, a parish, in the union of Swaffham, hundred of Wayland, W. division of Norfolk, 2½ miles (W. by S.) from Watton; containing 19 inhabitants. It comprises 1059a. 2r. 39p., of which 840 acres are arable, 101 meadow and pasture, and 118 in wood; the surface is undulated, and the scenery pleasingly diversified. The living is a discharged rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Swaffham, and valued in the king's books at £7. 9. 4½.: the tithes have been commuted for £171. The church has a low round steeple; the east end of the north aisle has been converted into a mausoleum. To the south of the church is a Roman encampment where several antiquities have been found.
Thribergh (St. Leonard)
THRIBERGH (St. Leonard), a parish, in the union of Rotherham, S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 3 miles (N. E.) from Rotherham; containing, with part of the township of Dalton, 314 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1624a. lr. 27p., of which about 800 acres are arable, 770 pasture, and about 30 woodland, all the property of John Fullerton, Esq., lord of the manor. The soil is fertile, and the scenery richly diversified. Thribergh Park, the seat of Mr. Fullerton, is a handsome mansion in the early style of domestic architecture, finely situated in a well-wooded park, and commanding some interesting views. The village is on the road to Doncaster, and is small but neatly built. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 11. 5½., and in the gift of Mr. Fullerton: the tithes have been commuted for £190; there is a parsonagehouse, and the glebe consists of 117¾ acres. The church is principally in the later English style, with a square embattled tower surmounted by a spire, and contains some remains of the ancient stained glass with which its windows were formerly embellished.
Thrigby (St. Mary)
THRIGBY (St. Mary), a parish, in the East and West Flegg incorporation, hundred of East Flegg, E. division of Norfolk, 7 miles (N. W. by W.) from Yarmouth; containing 53 inhabitants. It comprises 575a. 3r. 2p., of which about 436 acres are arable, and the remainder meadow and marsh. The principal part belongs to Thomas Browne, Esq., who resides at the Hall, a neat mansion of white brick. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6, and in the gift of Mr. Browne: the tithes have been commuted for £210. 17., and the glebe comprises 4½ acres.
Thrimby, with Little Strickland
THRIMBY, with Little Strickland, a chapelry, in the parish of Morland, West ward and union, county of Westmorland, 3 miles (N. by W.) from Shap; containing 200 inhabitants, of whom 66 are in the township of Thrimby. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £80; patron, the Vicar of Morland; appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle, whose tithes were partly commuted for land in 1830, and partly under the late act for a rent-charge of £20. 13. 10. There is a glebe of 25½ acres. The present chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, was consecrated in 1814, having been built at Little Strickland, together with a school-house, by the Earl of Lonsdale. The school was founded in 1684, by Thomas Fletcher.
THRINGSTONE, a township, in the parish of Whitwick, union of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, hundred of West Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 4¾ miles (E.) from Ashby; containing 1232 inhabitants. The tithes were commuted for land in 1803, under an inclosure act.—See Whitwick.
Thriplow (All Saints)
THRIPLOW (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Royston, hundred of Thriplow, county of Cambridge, 6 miles (N. N. E.) from Royston; containing 477 inhabitants. A grand rendezvous of the army commauded by Fairfax and Cromwell, took place on Thriplow Heath, in July 1647: instruments of warfare are frequently found here. The parish comprises 2296 acres, of which 1609 were until lately common or waste land. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Bishop of Ely, valued in the king's books at £4. 9. 2.: the great tithes, belonging to Peter House, Cambridge, have been commuted for £617. 12., and the vicarial tithes for £134. 11.; the impropriate glebe contains 55½ acres, and the vicarial about one acre. The church is an ancient cruciform structure, and has several monuments to the family of Lucas. There is a place of worship for Independents.
THRISLINGTON, a township, in the parish of Bishop's-Middleham, union of Sedgkfield, N. E. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 7½ miles (S. S. E.) from Durham; containing 24 inhabitants. This place, originally called Thurstanton, is bounded on the west by the river North Skerne, which, rising in the marsh between Ferryhill and Thrislington, pursues its course southward. The produce of a colliery here, is shipped on the Tees. Thrislington Hall stands immediately on the east bank of the marsh; on the west side was the ancient "wood of Fery," now reduced to a straggling hazel copse, interspersed with a few remains of old forest timber, ash and elm. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £9. 13.
Thriston or Thirston, East and West
THRISTON or THIRSTON, EAST and WEST, a township, in the parish of Felton, union of Alnwick, E. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 9¾ miles (S. by E.) from Alnwick; including the hamlet of Shot-Haugh, and containing 307 inhabitants, of whom 60 are in East and 247 in West Thriston. These two places lie close to the river Coquet, on its south side; and the road between Morpeth and Alnwick runs near them. They comprise together about 2342 acres, of which the soil is loamy, and very productive. Thriston House, built in 1825, is a neat and commodious mansion.
THROAPHAM, a township, in the parish of Laughton-en-le-Morthen, union of Worksop, S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 6½ miles (S. S. W.) from Tickhill; containing 69 inhabitants. The township comprises about 1100 acres of land in good cultivation, and consists chiefly of scattered hamlets. Among these is Thorpe St. John, containing an ancient church that from time immemorial has been annexed to Laughton. The tithes, including those of Thwaite, have been commuted for £200, of which £50 are payable to the vicar of the parish.
Throcking (Holy Trinity)
THROCKING (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Buntingford, hundred of Edwinstree, county of Hertford, 2 miles (W. N. W.) from Buntingford; containing 66 inhabitants. It forms part of the highest ground in the county, and comprises by computation between 900 and 1000 acres: the road from London to Cambridge runs along its eastern boundary. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £252; patron and incumbent, the Rev. W. Adams. There is a small glebe, given by the late patron, with a good house. The church contains several monuments to the Elwes family, who formerly had a mansion here; one of the memorials, executed by Nollekens, is of very superior design.
THROCKLEY, a township, in the parish of Newburn, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 6¼ miles (W. by N.) from Newcastle; containing 160 inhabitants, and comprising by computation 735 acres. Throckley Fell, on the north side of the road between Newcastle and Hexham, was inclosed under an act obtained in 1816.
THROCKMORTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Fladbury, union of Pershore, Middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 4¼ miles (N. E.) from Pershore; containing 157 inhabitants. It comprises 1396 acres, principally arable, the whole of which, with the exception of about 260 acres attached to the rectory of Fladbury, belongs to the Throckmorton family. The chapel, a neat building, was restored in 1833, chiefly at the expense of the late Sir Charles Throckmorton.
THROOP, a tything, in the parochial chapelry of Holdenhurst, parish and union of Christchurch, liberty of Westover, Ringwood and S. divisions of the county of Southampton; containing 96 inhabitants. It is on the southern bank of the Stour.
THROPPLE, a township, in the parish of Mitford, union, and W. division of the ward, of Morpeth, N. division of Northumberland, 4 miles (W.) from Morpeth; containing 59 inhabitants. This place has successively belonged to the families of Bertram, Eure, Reveley, and Mitford: Henry Reveley Mitford, Esq., is the present proprietor. The township comprises about 900 acres, of which 875 are arable, meadow, and pasture, and 25 woodland and plantations; the surface is pleasingly varied, and the village occupies an eminence commanding extensive prospects over both land and sea. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £72. 16. 7. At Whittle Hill was a camp, of which the intrenchments have been removed for repairing roads, and the site almost obliterated by the plough: near the spot is an ancient barrow, in which coins have been found.
THROPTON, a township, in the parish and union of Rothbury, W. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 1½ mile (W. by N.) from Rothbury; containing 207 inhabitants. It comprises 835 acres, of which 670 are arable, 113 meadow and pasture, 10 woodland and plantations, and the remainder roads and waste. The surface is beautifully undulated; the soil in the valley is a rich loam, but on the hills rocky and less fertile. There are some quarries of excellent stone for building, two of which belong to the Duke of Northumberland. The village is situated near the confluence of the river Coquet and the Wreigh burn; the former is a remarkably fine trout stream, winding through a picturesque vale, and over the latter is a substantial bridge, erected by subscription in 1810, to replace a structure that had fallen down some years before. At the eastern and western extremities of the village were stone crosses, which have disappeared within the last age. In the village are the remains of three strongholds and a border tower, used as places of security for cattle and other property during time of warfare; and on a hill about half a mile distant, are some remains of a Roman camp. The tithes have been commuted for £175. 17. 6. Here is a place of worship for Presbyterians; and a Roman Catholic chapel, to which a house is attached, with about 8 acres of land, has been recently enlarged and repaired.
THROSTON, a township, in the parish of Hart, union of Stockton, N. E. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 3¾ miles (W.) from Hartlepool; containing 101 inhabitants. This district, which adjoins Tunstall in the parish of Strantou, has always formed part of the Hart estate, or belonged to the same proprietors. It was conveyed, with Hart, by the Earl of Cumberland to Lord Lumley in 1586; and was also included in the sale of the Hart property for £72,000, by the Earl of Scarborough to Sir George Pocock, in 1772. The township comprises about 1050 acres, and the village is situated a mile and a half southsouth-east of Hart. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £201. 5., and the vicarial for £28. 12.
THROWLEY, a parish, in the union of Oakhampton, hundred of Wonford, Wonford and S. divisions of Devon, 6¾ miles (E. S. E.) from Oakhampton; containing 445 inhabitants. It comprises about 1800 acres; the surface is hilly, and the soil in general loose and sandy. The river Teign forms one of the boundaries. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 6. 10½., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £172; a house is attached to the benefice, and the glebe contains about 50 acres. The church is a small plain building. There are some remains of a chapel at Walland Hill.
Throwley (St. Mary)
THROWLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Faversham, Upper division of the lathe of Scray, E. division of Kent, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from Faversham; containing 682 inhabitants. The parish is situated near the road from Faversham to Ashford, and comprises by admeasurement 3173 acres, about 2235 of which are arable land and hop-grounds, 530 orchard and meadow, 320 wood, and the remainder roads, &c. The soil is a strong loam, with a considerable admixture of flints, and rests on chalk. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 11. 8., and in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £602. 10.; and the vicarial for £257, with a glebe of 25 acres. Sir Thomas Sondes in 1592 endowed a free school, which has merged into a national school established in 1814; there are also three almshouses, founded by the same family. The vicaragehouse occupies the site of a priory, a cell to the abbey of St. Bertin, at St. Omers, in Artois, and which was granted in the 22nd of Henry VI. to Sion Abbey.
THROWLEY, a hamlet, in the parish of Ilam, N. division of the hundred of Totmonslow and of the county of Stafford, 7¾ miles (N. W. by W.) from Ashbourn; containing 69 inhabitants. This place was the seat of the Meverells, a family of high antiquity, of whom Arthur Meverell was prior of Tutbury at the Dissolution. The Cromwells subsequently held the lands, and occupied Throwley Hall, now a farmhouse.
THROXENBY, a township, in the parish of Scalby, union of Scarborough, Pickering lythe, N. riding of York, 2½ miles (W.) from Scarborough; containing 71 inhabitants. It comprises about 400 acres: the village is situated a mile north-west of Falsgrave.