A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Tilney (All Saints)
TILNEY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Wisbech, hundred of Freebridge-Marshland, W. division of Norfolk, 4½ miles (W. S. W.) from Lynn; containing 441 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2578a. 7p., of which 1451 acres are arable, 1064 meadow and pasture, and the remainder homesteads and roads; the soil is fertile, and the pastures luxuriantly rich. The living is a vicarage, with that of Tilney St. Lawrence annexed, valued in the king's books at £30, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Pembroke College, Cambridge, who, with others, are impropriators. The great tithes of the two parishes have been commuted for £1055, and the vicarial tithes for £307, with a glebe of 60 acres, and a handsome house, rebuilt by the Rev. C. Currie, the present vicar. The church is a venerable Norman structure, with a lofty embattled tower in the later English style, surmounted by a spire; the nave is separated from the aisles by fine Norman arches, springing from massive columns, and the roof is elaborately groined. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Dr. John Aylmer, Bishop of London, who died in 1594, was a native of the parish.
Tilney (St. Lawrence)
TILNEY (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Wisbech, hundred of Freebridge-Marshland, W. division of Norfolk, 5½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Lynn; containing 762 inhabitants. It comprises 3461a. 30p., of which 2079 acres are arable, 1284 meadow and pasture, and the remainder homesteads and roads. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Tilney All Saints. The church is a handsome structure, principally in the later English style, with a square embattled tower: it was restored at the cost of £2000, by Miss Mary Mann, and re-consecrated in Sept. 1846. There are places of worship for Calvinists and Primitive Methodists.
Tilney cum Islington.—See Islington.
TILNEY cum Islington.—See Islington.
Tilshead (St. Thomas à Becket)
TILSHEAD (St. Thomas à Becket), a parish, in the union of Amesbury, hundred of Branch and Dole, Devizes and S. divisions of Wilts, 10 miles (S. by E.) from Devizes; containing 426 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Devizes to Salisbury, and comprises 3751a. 3r. 31p., of which about 2377 acres are arable, 1247 pasture, and 90 in plantations; the soil is light and chalky. The parish forms part of Salisbury Plain. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 16., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £216; impropriator, G. W.Taylor, Esq. The great tithes of the new inclosures, and all the vicarial tithes, those on mills excepted, were commuted for land in 1811. The church, which is very ancient, contains 400 sittings. The downs near the village were celebrated for great numbers of bustards, the last of which, taken alive in 1801 after having attacked a man on horseback, weighed upwards of 20 pounds, and measured 5 feet from the extremities of its wings. Fossil sponge is found in the neighbourhood, and madrepores are largely collected in flint-stones.
Tilsop, with Weston.—See Weston.
TILSOP, with Weston.—See Weston.
TILSTOCK; a chapelry, in the parish of Whitchurch, Whitchurch division of the hundred of North Bradford, N. division of Salop, 2½ miles (S.) from Whitchurch; containing 637 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Shrewsbury to Chester, and is about 3 miles long, and l½ broad. Whitchurch heath, comprehended within its limits, is a fine open common, crossed by the road. The soil is in general rich and gravelly, and the Ellesmere and Chester canal passes through the chapelry. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £87, in the patronage of the Trustees of the Earl of Bridgewater: a glebe-house has been built, and the glebe contains 125 acres. The present chapel, dedicated to St. Giles, was built in 1834, by a bequest from Francis, Earl of Bridgewater, who was rector of Whitchurch. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Independents; and a national school has been erected upon the site of the former chapel, which was remarkable for its antiquity, and was surrounded by very fine old yew-trees.
Tilston (St. Mary)
TILSTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Great Boughton, Higher division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester; containing, with the townships of Carden, Grafton, Hortonby-Malpas, and Stretton, 923 inhabitants, of whom 450 are in Tilston township, 3 miles (N. W. by N.) from Malpas. In the township are 742 acres, the soil of which is partly clay and partly sand. The Chester canal passes close to the village. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 2. 11.; net income, £333; patrons, the Marquess of Cholmondeley, and T. T. Drake, Esq. The tithes of the township have been commuted for £76, and the glebe consists of 38 acres. A national school is supported partly by an endowment of £16 per annum.
TILSTON-FERNALL, a township, in the parish of Bunbury, union of Nantwich, First division of the hundred of Eddisbury, S. division of the county of Chester, 2¾ miles (S. S. E.) from Tarporley; containing 189 inhabitants. It comprises 821 acres, the soil of which is partly clay and partly sand. A church was built in the year 1836, and endowed at the expense of John Tollemache, Esq.; it is a brick edifice cased with white stone, in the later English style. The living is in the gift of the Tollemache family. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £70, payable to the Haberdashers' Company, London.
Tilsworth (All Saints)
TILSWORTH (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Woburn, hundred of Manshead, county of Bedford, 3½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Dunstable; containing 311 inhabitants. It adjoins the road from Dunstable to Fenny-Stratford, and comprises about 1220 acres of arable, pasture, and woodland; the surface is varied, and the scenery pleasing. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £60; patron and impropriator, Sir G. O. Page Turner, Bart. The small tithes have been commuted for £31. 10. The church stands on rising ground, is in the pointed style, and contains several old monuments of the Fowler family, one to Sir Henry Chester, K.B., and an ancient altar-tomb with a French inscription and the effigy of Adam de Tullesworth in sacerdotal robes. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Tilton (St. Peter)
TILTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Billesdon, partly in the hundred of Gartree, but chiefly in that of East Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 8¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Oakham; containing, with the townships of Halstead and Marefield, and the hamlet of Whatborough, 408 inhabitants, of whom 190 are in Tilton township. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12. 16. 8., and in the patronage of the Rev. George Greaves: the vicarial tithes have been commuted for £174, and the impropriate for £52. The church is partly in the later English style. Here was an hospital, which Sir William Burdett annexed to Burton-Lazars hospital in the time of Henry II.
Tilts, with Langthwaite, West riding of York.—See Langthwaite.
TILTS, with Langthwaite, West riding of York. —See Langthwaite.
Tilty (St. Mary)
TILTY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Dunmow, N. division of Essex, 3 miles (S. by W.) from Thaxted; containing 96 inhabitants. The living is a donative; net income, £30; patron and impropriator, Viscount Maynard. The church constitutes the remains of an abbey church, and is a fine specimen of the decorated English style: the east and north windows present remarkably elegant tracery; there are some rich stalls in the chancel, and several ancient and interesting monuments. The abbey was founded about 1152, by Robert Ferrers, Earl of Derby, and Maurice Fitz-Jeffery, for White monks, whose revenue at the Dissolution was valued at £177. 9. 4.
Timberland (St. Andrew)
TIMBERLAND (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Sleaford, First division of the wapentake of Langoe, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 10 miles (N. N. E.) from Sleaford; containing, with the townships of Martin and Thorpe-Tilney, 1649 inhabitants, of whom 597 are in Timberland township. An act was passed in 1839, for the more effectual drainage of the fen and dales of Timberland. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12. 2. 11.; net income, £216; patron and impropriator, Sir T. Whichcote, Bart. The tithes were commuted for land and annual money payments in 1774 and 1794. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Timberscombe (St. Michael)
TIMBERSCOMBE (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Williton, hundred of Carhampton, W. division of Somerset, 2½ miles (W. S. W.) from Dunster; containing 476 inhabitants. The parish includes a small fertile valley surrounded by high hills, and is traversed by the road from Dunster to Dulverton; it comprises by admeasurement 1432 acres. The soil is in some parts gravelly, in others stony; and good stone is quarried for building. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Bishop of Bath and Wells, valued in the king's books at £6. 10.; net income, £170. There is a parsonage-house; the glebe consists of about 3½ acres, and the impropriator possesses 43 acres. The church has an embattled tower surmounted by a low spire, which are much more ancient than the body of the edifice; the nave is separated from the chancel by a handsome screen, in excellent preservation. Richard Ellsworth, in 1714, bequeathed £200 towards building a school-house, and an annuity of £20 for clothing and educating children; it was not erected till 1824, and the endowment having accumulated to £50 per annum, about 60 children are instructed and clothed. Here are two strong chalybeate springs.
TIMBLE, GREAT, a township, in the parish of Fewston, Lower division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York, 6 miles (N. by W.) from Otley; containing 206 inhabitants. The township comprises nearly 1500 acres, divided into numerous farms.
TIMBLE, LITTLE, a township, in the parish of Otley, Upper division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York, 5½ miles (N.) from Otley; containing 63 inhabitants. It comprises about 420 acres of land, pleasantly situated in the vale of the Washburn. Here is the ruin of a once handsome mansion, of which no account is preserved.
TIMPERLEY, a township, in the parish of Bowdon, union of Altrincham, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 1¾ mile (N. E. by E.) from Altrincham; containing 947 inhabitants. It comprises 1571 acres; the soil is partly clay and partly sand. A church has been built containing 500 sittings, 340 of which are free. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £49; and the appropriate for £225. 17., payable to the Bishop of Chester. A school is supported by the interest of £300, presented by Mrs. Jane Houghton, who also gave £100 for purchasing bibles and prayerbooks.
Timsbury (St. Mary)
TIMSBURY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Clutton, hundred of Chew, E. division of Somerset, 8 miles (S. W.) from Bath; containing 1666 inhabitants. The parish is situated about 1¼ mile from the road between Bath and Wells, and comprises 1148a. 1r. 31p., of which 132 acres are arable, and 983 pasture; the soil is rich, and elm and ash grow luxuriantly. Several coal-mines are worked. The Somerset coal canal commences at the south-western extremity of the parish, and passes along its southern boundary. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 19. 9½., and in the gift of Balliol College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £283; there is a parsonagehouse, and the glebe comprises 64 acres. The church was rebuilt on an enlarged scale, in 1825, at a cost of £2110, of which sum the Incorporated Society granted £250; it contains 606 sittings. Here are places of worship for Wesleyans, Independents, and Baptists.
Timsbury (St. Andrew)
TIMSBURY (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Romsey, hundred of King's-Sombourn, Andover and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 2½ miles (N. by W.) from Romsey; containing 223 inhabitants. It is situated on the Romsey and Stockbridge road, and comprises 1384a. 1r. 17p., of which 797 acres are arable, 499 meadow and pasture, and 87 wood. The Andover canal has a wharf here; and the river Test, celebrated for its trout, adorns the finely-wooded undulations between which its bright and rapid stream passes. Extensive views are obtained from the high grounds, embracing the abbey church of Romsey, and many other interesting objects. The living is a vicarage, with a net income of £64, including a payment of £34 made by the patrons, J. Fleming and W. Chamberlayne, Esqrs., who present alternately; the latter is impropriator, and holds all the glebe land. The church is built of flint, and has a wooden belfry; here is a piscina in good preservation, and the chancel, which is very elegant, contains two fine wainscot pews in the form of stalls.
Timworth (St. Andrew)
TIMWORTH (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Thingoe, hundred of Thedwastry, W. division of Suffolk, 4¼ miles (N. by E.) from Bury St. Edmund's; containing 212 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, consolidated with the rectory of Ingham, and valued in the king's books at £9. 17. 11.