A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Hackthorn (St. Michael)
HACKTHORN (St. Michael), a parish, in the E. division of the wapentake of Aslacoe, parts of Lindsey, union and county of Lincoln, 8 miles (N. by E.) from Lincoln; containing 246 inhabitants. This parish, which is distant about a mile and a half from the Roman road between Lincoln and Barton-upon-Humber, comprises by measurement 2350 acres: stone of indifferent quality is found, and quarried for fences and out-buildings. Hackthorn Hall is a handsome mansion. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4, and with the living of Cold Hanworth united; net income, £260; patron, R. Cracroft, Esq. The tithes of the parish were commuted for land in 1778; the glebe comprises 105 acres. The church was erected about the time of the Conquest, on the site of a more ancient structure; at the western entrance, and on the south, are handsome Norman arches.
HACTHORPE, a township, in the parish of Lowther, West ward and union, county of Westmorland; containing 102 inhabitants. The Lancaster and Carlisle railway passes through the village, close by Lowther Park gates. The old Hall, now a farmhouse, was the birthplace of John, first Viscount Lonsdale.
Haddenham (St. Mary)
HADDENHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Aylesbury, county of Buckingham, 3 miles (N. E. by E.) from Thame; containing 1545 inhabitants. In 1294, the monks of St. Andrew, at Rochester, obtained a charter for a weekly market to be held here on Thursday, which was discontinued in 1301: a fair was also granted, for three days, at the festival of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. The parish is bounded on the west by the river Thame, and comprises about 3000 acres: the soil is indifferent; the surface is flat, with one or two trifling elevations, and is watered by a copious brook in the southern part. The living is a vicarage, with that of Cuddington annexed, valued in the king's books at £15. 17. 1.; net income, £370; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments in 1830. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. The parish contains two mineral springs; and numerous fossils, and skulls of animals now extinct, have been found.
Haddenham (Holy Trinity)
HADDENHAM (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Ely, hundred of South Witchford, Isle of Ely, county of Cambridge, 6½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Ely; containing 2103 inhabitants. This place is connected with many of the principal events in the earlier periods of British history. A hamlet in the parish, about two miles to the south of the village, formerly called Audrey and now Aldreth, which occupies the narrowest part of the Fen, is identified as the scene of the Roman invasion of the Isle of Ely; and during the heptarchy, was defended by the Saxons under Hereward, against the whole power of the Normans, for nearly seven years. William the Conqueror here lost nearly half his army by the burning of his pontoons, and, at length becoming master of the Isle, erected a castle at Aldreth, in which he left a garrison to keep up his communication with the main land. During the civil war, Cromwell visited the Isle, and repaired the ancient road across the Fen, which was probably of British origin, and was kept up by the Romans as far as the marshy nature of the country would permit; this road, called Aldreth Causeway, was deemed of so much importance, that every parish in the Isle of Ely was bound to keep a certain portion of it in repair. The whole of the Isle appears to have been given to Queen Etheldreda, as a dowry on her marriage; and the name of the hamlet, Audrey, is supposed to have been derived from that queen, as proprietor of the Isle, and probably resident occasionally at the place, which was the seat of her government, under the administration of Ovin, her high-steward. An act for inclosing lands in the parish was passed in 1843. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Archdeacon of Ely: the great tithes have been commuted for £1850, and the small for £285; there is an impropriate glebe of 80 acres. The church is a spacious and handsome cruciform structure, in the early and decorated English styles, with a lofty tower, the lower portion of which is of earlier date: it has been repaired, and 55 free seats have been provided. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. Two schools for boys are supported by endowments, the one of £70 per annum, arising from an estate left by Mr. Arkenstall in 1640, and the other of £20 per annum, arising from a bequest by Mrs. March in 1722. Roman and early British coins are found here, and some ancient weapons have been dug up. There was a cell at the south-western extremity of the parish, for a monk from Ely, and the spot is still called the Hermitage.
HADDINGTON, a township, partly in the parish of Auborn, and partly in that of South Hyckham, Lower division of the wapentake of Boothby-Graffo, parts of Kesteven, union and county of Lincoln, 7½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Lincoln; containing 128 inhabitants. This place receives £4. 6. 8. annually, a portion of Sir C. Neville's charity to the parish of Auborn.
Haddiscoe (St. Mary)
HADDISCOE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Loddon and Clavering, hundred of Clavering, E. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from Beccles; containing 424 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Beccles to Yarmouth, and bounded on the north-east by the navigable river Waveney. By charter of Henry VII., confirmed by succeeding monarchs, the inhabitants are exempt from serving on juries at sessions and assizes, and are entitled to free sittings at Yarmouth market. The living is a discharged rectory, with that of Monks'-Toft annexed, valued in the king's books at £12, and in the gift of King's College, Cambridge; the tithes of the parish have been commuted for £341. 10., and the glebe contains about 22 acres. The church, chiefly in the later English style, has a circular tower, and the entrances on the north and south are through richly decorated Norman doorways. Here was a preceptory of Knights Templars, to which Henry III. was a benefactor.
HADDLESEY, CHAPEL, a chapelry, in the parish of Birkin, union of Selby, Lower division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, W. riding of York, 4½ miles (S. S. W.) from Selby; containing 216 inhabitants. This township, which includes the hamlet of East Haddlesey, and comprises by computation 1140 acres, is situated on the north side of the river Aire, over which is a handsome stone bridge of three arches, erected in 1833: the road from Doncaster to Selby passes through the village. Certain tithes of this place and of West Haddlesey were commuted for land and money payments, under an act of inclosure, in 1789, and tithes in the latter place have since been commuted for a rentcharge of £23. The chapel, which is dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was rebuilt in 1836, at a cost of £700, and contains 250 sittings, whereof 180 are free. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
HADDLESEY, WEST, a township, in the parish of Birkin, Lower division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, W. riding of York, 5 miles (S. W.) from Selby; containing 288 inhabitants. The township comprises about 1150 acres, and, though the surface is flat, abounds with beautiful and richly-wooded scenery; it is intersected by the river Aire, and there is a canal to Selby, on which fly-boats pass daily.
Haddon (St. Mary)
HADDON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Peterborough, hundred of Norman-Cross, county of Huntingdon, 3 miles (N. W. by N.) from Stilton; containing 121 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 5., and in the gift of the Marquess of Huntly: the tithes have been commuted for £344. 5., and the glebe comprises 32 acres. A school is supported by the clergyman.
Haddon, East (St. Mary)
HADDON, EAST (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Brixworth, hundred of Newbottle-Grove, S. division of the county of Northampton, 7½ miles (N. W.) from Northampton; containing 616 inhabitants. This place is mentioned in Domesday book under the names Eddone and Hadone; it then belonged to the Earl of Morton, and among the families who have subsequently held the lands, may be named the family of St. Andrew, of whom notice occurs in the reign of Edward I. The parish is situated near the road from Northampton to Dunchurch, and comprises by computation 2570 acres, of which about 100 are woodland, and the rest arable and pasture in nearly equal portions. The scenery is pleasingly diversified, and the views are extensive; the soil is in general rich, and the wood consists of oak, ash, and elm, with a few firs and larches. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5; present net value, £149: the presentation is vested in Lord Clifden, H. B. Sawbridge, Esq., and Ashford Sandford, Esq. The vicarial tithes were commuted for 90 acres of land and for money payments, in 1773: there is a glebe-house. The church consists of a nave, south aisle, tower, and porch, in the perpendicular or later English, and a chancel in the decorated, style. A school is supported by the principal landed proprietor, and the parish, and about 80 children are instructed on the national system. The Independents have a small meeting-house.
Haddon, Over and Nether
HADDON, OVER and NETHER, a township, in the parish and union of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, N. division of the county of Derby, 2 miles (S. W. by S.) from Bakewell; containing 238 inhabitants. It comprises 2801a. 2r. 12p., of which 1326a. 3r. 10p. are in Over Haddon, which has a romantic village, situated on an abrupt and lofty eminence, overlooking the vale of the river Lathkill: the soil is a good brown loam, on limestone. Nether Haddon forms the eastern side of the township, and is bounded by the river Derwent. Haddon Hall is an ancient baronial mansion, delightfully situated on a gentle eminence above the river Wye. It strikingly illustrates the rude magnificence of by-gone days: the venerable castellated towers rising above the woods produce a fine effect; and the whole building, being still in nearly a perfect state, is an object of general interest and curiosity. Sir Richard Vernon, of Haddon, was speaker of the parliament at Leicester in 1425; his son, of the same name, was the last person who held for life the office of constable of England. Sir Henry Vernon, grandson of the latter, was governor to Prince Arthur, son of Henry VIII., who is said to have resided with him at Haddon. The Haddon branch of the Vernons became extinct in 1565, by the death of Sir George Vernon, who, from the splendour of his retinue and his great hospitality, acquired the name of "King of the Peak." Dorothy, the younger of his co-heiresses, brought Haddon to Sir John Manners, second son of Thomas, first earl of Rutland, immediate ancestor of the Duke of Rutland; and the Hall was, at one time, alternately with Belvoir, the seat of the noble family of Manners. The tithes of the township were commuted for land and money payments in 1806.
Haddon, West (All Saints)
HADDON, WEST (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Daventry, hundred of Guilsborough, S. division of the county of Northampton, 7¼ miles (N. N. E.) from Daventry; containing 1013 inhabitants. Before the Conquest this place belonged to Leofric, Earl of Mercia, who gave it to the priory of Coventry at the time of its foundation: subsequently, the monasteries of Daventry and Sulby, and the priory of St. John of Jerusalem, had possessions here. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8.; net income, £240; patron, S. Spence, Esq.; impropriator, C. Heighgate, Esq. The Baptists and Wesleyans have each a place of worship; and there is a national school. Ostor Hill, a high tumulus, supposed to be of P. Ostorius, pro-prætor in Britain, is situated in the parish.
HADFIELD, a township, in the parish and union of Glossop, hundred of High Peak, N. division of the county of Derby, 11 miles (N. by W.) from Chapel-enle-Frith; containing 1499 inhabitants. About 50 years since, this district, which is bounded on the north by the river Etherow, and comprises 357 acres of land, was almost entirely agricultural, and thinly inhabited; but now there are many flourishing cotton-factories, some of them on a large scale, which afford employment to nearly the whole of the population. There are also several good stone-quarries. The Sheffield and Manchester railway crosses the township a little to the south of the village; and about one mile west-by-south from Hadfield, is a bridge over the Etherow, at the junction of three roads, connecting Manchester, Stockport, and Yorkshire, with Glossop Dale. Cattle-fairs are held on May 9th and October 15th. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
HADHAM, LITTLE, a parish, in the union of Bishop-Stortford, hundred of Edwinstree, county of Hertford, 3 miles (N. W.) from Bishop-Stortford; containing 890 inhabitants. It comprises about 3000 acres; the surface is hilly, and the soil on the uplands generally a stiffish clay, and on the lowlands chalky earth alternated with gravel. The living is a rectory, united to that of Much Hadham.
Hadham, Much (St. Andrew)
HADHAM, MUCH (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Bishop-Stortford, hundred of Edwinstree, county of Hertford, 7 miles (N. E. by E.) from Ware; containing 1318 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4454a. 3r. 32p., of which about 3251 acres are arable, 915 meadow, and 211 woodland. In its general aspect and soil it resembles Little Hadham. The valleys are watered by a small rivulet called the Ash, and the scenery is pleasingly enriched with the well-cultivated demesnes attached to several gentlemen's seats. The living is a rectory, with that of Little Hadham united, valued in the king's books at £66. 13. 4., and in the gift of the Bishop of London: the tithes have been commuted for £1200, and the glebe comprises 165 acres. The Independents have a place of worship. Here are the remains of a palace that belonged to the bishops of London, now a private residence.
Hadleigh (St. James)
HADLEIGH (St. James), a parish, in the union and hundred of Rochford, S. division of Essex, 2¼ miles (W. by N.) from Leigh; containing 366 inhabitants. In the reign of Henry II. a castle was built here by Hubert de Burgh, Earl of Kent, the remains of which are picturesquely situated on the brow of a steep hill, and consist chiefly of two dilapidated circular towers. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 14. 7.; net income, £450; patrons, the Rector and Fellows of Lincoln College, Oxford. The church is an ancient structure, of which the eastern end is semicircular, and in the Norman style. A school is endowed with £781 three per cent. consols.
Hadleigh (St. Mary)
HADLEIGH (St. Mary), a market-town and parish, in the union and hundred of Cosford, W. division of Suffolk, 10½ miles (W. by S.) from Ipswich, and 64 (N. E.) from London; containing 3679 inhabitants. This town, which was probably founded during the heptarchy, about which period a monastery is said to have been established by one of the Saxon kings, was called by the Anglo-Saxons Headlege, whence it derived its modern name. Some of the kings of East Anglia were interred here; as also was Guthrum, or Gormo, a Danish chief, who submitted to Alfred the Great, and renounced paganism after the defeat of the Danes at the battle of Ethandune, now Eddington, in the county of Wilts: a tomb is still shown in the church as the monument of Guthrum (who died in 889); but it is obviously of much later date than the ninth century. The town is situated in a valley; the air is remarkably salubrious, and the inhabitants are plentifully supplied with water from springs. The woollen manufacture formerly flourished; at present, a factory for winding and drawing silk furnishes employment to about 500 women and children. An act was passed in 1846 for making a railway hence to the Colchester and Ipswich line at Bentley. There is a large market, principally for corn, on Monday; another, once held on Saturday, has been discontinued: fairs are held on Whit-Tuesday and the 10th of October, for toys, &c. The Corn Exchange, erected by subscription in 1813, is a handsome building. This was anciently a corporate town, governed by a mayor, aldermen, and common-councilmen, but having surrendered its charter upon a quo warranto to James II., the privileges were lost, and the place is now within the jurisdiction of the county magistrates, who hold petty-sessions. The powers of the county debt-court of Hadleigh extend over part of the registration-district of Cosford.
The parish comprises 4169a. 3r. 10p.; the soil is generally fertile, and well adapted for the production of grain. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £45. 2. 1., and in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury: the tithes have been commuted for £1325. The church, a handsome and spacious structure, surmounted by a lofty spire of wood covered with lead, is chiefly in the later English style: in the chancel is a beautiful altar-piece, of wainscot, with paintings of Moses and Aaron, erected in 1744, by Dr. Wilkins, the incumbent; and the font is of great antiquity. In front of the parsonage-house is a venerable gateway with two hexagonal towers, built of brick in the year 1490, by Dr. Pykenham, archdeacon of Suffolk, and rector of the parish. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyans. A house and some land were given by John Alabaster in 1667, and in 1701 Mrs. Anne Beaumont bequeathed an estate; from which benefactions a salary of about £34 per annum is paid for the instruction of boys. A grammar school was kept in a house in the churchyard, but it has been long discontinued. Twelve almshouses for decayed tradespeople, with a chapel attached, were founded, and endowed with valuable estates, by Dr. Pykenham, and are now appropriated to the accommodation of 24 persons. Four others were founded in the reign of Edward VI., by John Raven, and endowed by him with the profits of two farms for the support of eight inhabitants; and there are several further bequests for the benefit of the poor. Dr. William Alabaster, a learned divine of the seventeenth century, was a native of the place; and among the rectors have been, Dr. Taylor, who suffered martyrdom in the reign of Mary; John Still, Bishop of Bath and Wells; Richard Smalbroke, Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry; and David Wilkins, the learned author of the Concilia Magnæ Britanniæ.
HADLEIGH, a hamlet, in the parish of Boxford, union and hundred of Cosford, W. division of the county of Suffolk; containing 232 inhabitants.
Hadley, Berks.—See Blagrave.
HADLEY, Berks.—See Blagrave.
HADLEY, a township, in the parish and union of Wellington, Wellington division of the hundred of South Bradford, N. division of the county of Salop; containing 1280 inhabitants.
Hadley, Monken (St. Mary)
HADLEY, MONKEN (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Barnet, hundred of Edmonton, county of Middlesex, 1 mile (E. by N.) from Barnet; containing 945 inhabitants. This parish, which was formerly a hamlet in Edmonton, comprises nearly 500 acres; the common affords excellent pasturage, and the inhabitants have the right of turning cattle upon it. The village contains numerous well-built houses. The living is a donative; net income, £199; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Dr. Proctor. The church consists of a nave, aisles, chancel, and transept; the aisles are separated from the nave by depressed arches and clustered pillars: at the west end is a tower of flint, on the top of which is an iron beacon. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Amongst eminent persons buried here were Sir William Stamford, a learned judge and writer on the law; Dr. John Monro, a physician, author of a treatise on insanity; and Mrs. Chapone, who wrote Letters on the Improvement of the Mind, published in 1773.
Hadlow (St. Mary)
HADLOW (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and lowey of Tonbridge, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 3½ miles (N. E.) from Tonbridge; containing 2108 inhabitants. This parish comprises 5786 acres, of which 470 acres are woodland, and 93 waste or common; it has several hop plantations, and some good pasture-lands, and is crossed by the river Sheet, which joins the navigable river Medway a little above Brant bridge. At Hurlake Bolt is a flowing bolt by which, in dry seasons, the meadows can be advantageously irrigated. There is a fair on Whit-Monday. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13; net income, £789; patron and incumbent, the Rev. J. I. Monypenny. The church is a low structure. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans.
Hadlow-Down (St. Mark)
HADLOW-DOWN (St. Mark), a district parish, partly in the parish of Buxted, hundred of Loxfield-Dorset, and partly in that of Framfield, hundred of Loxfield-Camden, union of Uckfield, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 5 miles (N. E.) from Uckfield; containing 1000 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with a charge on the rectory of Buxted and the vicarage of Mayfield, and augmented by a grant from Queen Anne's Bounty; alternate patrons, the Incumbents of Buxted and Mayfield; net income, £120. The church, erected by subscription, aided by the Incorporated Society, on a site which, together with a glebe of 7 acres, was given by Earl De la Warr, lord of the manor, was completed in 1836, at an expense of £2200; it is a neat edifice in the early English style, with an embattled tower surmounted by a spire, and contains 436 sittings, of which 345 are free. A neat parsonage-house has been erected by subscription; and near the church is a national school.
HADNALL-EASE, a chapelry, in the parish of Middle, liberty of the borough of Shrewsbury, union of Ellesmere, N. division of Salop, 5½ miles (N. N. E.) from Shrewsbury; containing 429 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £55; patron, the Rector of Middle. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. A school was founded and endowed under the will of Lady Mary Hill, in 1787.
Hadsor (St. John the Baptist)
HADSOR (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Droitwich, Upper division of the hundred of Halfshire, Droitwich and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 1½ mile (S. E.) from Droitwich; containing 178 inhabitants. The Birmingham and Worcester canal, the Droitwich and Alcester turnpike-road, and the Birmingham and Gloucester railway, intersect the parish. The area is 944a. 2r. 15p., whereof twothirds are arable, and the remainder pasture; the surface is undulated, the soil a rich marl, and the scenery picturesque. The manor belongs to John Howard Galton, Esq., owner of the entire parish, whose family is descended from Simon de Galton, who held lands in Dorsetshire bearing the same name, and surveyed in Domesday book. The mansion, rebuilt in 1828, in the Italian style, is surrounded by extensive pleasuregrounds, and contains a valuable collection of statues and paintings. The living is a discharged rectory, rated in the king's books at £6. 7. 3½., and in the patronage of Mr. Galton, with a net income of £200, and a house: the tithes were commuted for land in 1773. The church, which is situated near the Hall, is in the decorated style, and with the exception of the tower and roof, which were restored in 1836, is a perfect remnant of the 14th century; it consists of a nave and chancel, and contains two old painted windows. In the parish is a mineral spring.
HADSPEN, a tything, in the parish of Pitcomb, union of Wincanton, hundred of Bruton, E. division of Somerset, 1¼ mile (E.) from the town of Castle-Cary; containing 216 inhabitants.