A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Nevendon (St. Peter)
NEVENDON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Billericay, hundred of Barstable, S. division of Essex, 5¾ miles (S. E. by E.) from Billericay; containing 216 inhabitants. The parish is small, and pleasantly situated in a valley, from which circumstance it is supposed to have derived its name. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Rev. V. Edwards: the tithes have been commuted for £254; there are 7 acres of glebe. The church is a small ancient edifice.
Newall, with Clifton
NEWALL, with Clifton, a township, in the parish of Otley, Upper division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York, ¾ of a mile (N. N. W.) from Otley; containing 253 inhabitants. The township is situated to the north of the river Wharfe, and comprises about 1440 acres of arable and pasture land, the former chiefly in Clifton, and the latter in Newall. The Hall was anciently the residence of Edward Fairfax, translator of Tasso's Jerusalem, who lived in the reigns of Elizabeth and James I. At Clifton is a school-house in which divine service is performed every Sunday.
New Alresford.—See Alresford, New.
NEW ALRESFORD.—See Alresford, New.— And all places having a similar distinguishing prefix will be found under the proper name.
NEWARK, an ancient chapelry, in the parish of St. John the Baptist, Peterborough, union and soke of Peterborough, N. division of the county of Northampton, 1¾ mile (N. E. by N.) from Peterborough; containing 185 inhabitants. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, is in ruins.
Newark-Upon-Trent (St. Mary Magdalene)
NEWARK-UPON-TRENT (St. Mary Magdalene), a borough, market-town, and parish, having exclusive jurisdiction, and the head of a union, locally in the S. division of the wapentake of Newark, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 20 miles (N. E.) from Nottingham, and 124 (N. N. W.) from London; containing 10,220 inhabitants. The origin of this place has been ascribed to the Coritani, a tribe of ancient Britons; and it is supposed to have been subsequently a station of the Romans: it was the Sidnacester of the Saxons, and the whole town having been destroyed by the Danes, the name of New wark was given to that erected on its site. Here was a castle, probably erected by Egbert, the first King of England, and which has been emphatically designated "the Key of the North;" it was repaired by Leofric, Earl of Mercia, who was governor and lord of this district in the reign of Edward the Confessor. Leofric and Godiva his wife gave the town to the monastery of Stow, near Lincoln. In 1125, the castle was almost entirely rebuilt by Alexander, Bishop of Lincoln, who obtained a royal charter for establishing a mint here. In 1139, that prelate, having engaged in an insurrection against Stephen, was sent a captive to his own castle at Newark, and was compelled to purchase his liberty by the surrender of this and other fortresses to the crown. During the baronial wars in the reign of John, Newark was a royal garrison; and in order to put an end to the depredations of the troops, the Dauphin of France, whose interposition had been sought by the barons, ordered Gilbert de Gaunt, Earl of Lincoln, to proceed against the garrison with a considerable force; but on intimation of the approach of John at the head of a large body of troops, the earl returned to London. The king himself, having in his march sustained great loss, was seized with a fever; and being carried on a litter to Sleaford, and thence to Newark Castle, he expired here, October 19th, 1216. The fortress was then given up to the barons, who retained possession till it was besieged by the Earl of Pembroke, when, after eight days' resistance, having surrendered, it was restored to the Bishop of Lincoln. In the last year of the reign of Edward III., it was used as a state prison. In 1530, Cardinal Wolsey and his splendid retinue were accommodated here, on their way to Southwell.
In the reign of Charles I., Newark was garrisoned for the king: it held in subjection the whole of this county, excepting the town of Nottingham; and a great part of Lincolnshire was laid under contribution. Here the king established a mint, and issued various pieces of money bearing the impress of a castle, and others with the royal arms and crown, with the dates 1645 and 1646. During this contest the town sustained three sieges: in the first all Northgate was burnt by order of the governor, Sir John Henderson; in the second, when under the government of Sir John (afterwards Lord) Byron, the town was relieved by the arrival from Chester of Prince Rupert, who, according to Clarendon, in an action between his forces and the parliamentarians under Sir John Meldrum, on Beacon Hill, half a mile eastward of the town, took 4000 prisoners and thirteen pieces of artillery. In the third siege, after the display of much prowess and several vigorous sallies, the fortress remained unimpaired: subsequently Lord Bellasis, then governor, surrendered the town to the Scottish army, by the king's order, on May 8th, 1646. At the close of this siege, the works and circumvallations were demolished by the country people, who were ordered to come with pickaxes, &c.; the only portions remaining are two considerable earthworks, called the King's sconce and the Queen's sconce, one of which is nearly entire. About the same time the castle was destroyed.
The town is neatly built, and consists of several streets, which are paved, and lighted with gas, under the provisions of an act of parliament passed in 1839; the inhabitants are well supplied with water. It is situated in a level tract on the eastern branch of the Trent, which joins the main river about a mile below. A lateral stream, uniting the two rivers above the town, forms rather an extensive island on the north-west, which is remarkably fertile; over this the London road passes, the river being crossed by a handsome bridge. About 350 yards from the site of the old castle is the ancient bed of the Trent, the current of which was diverted, partly by a cut formerly made from it to the brook at Kelham, and partly by obstructions occasioned by the Newark mills. The town is approached from the north by an excellent turnpike-road, constructed about the year 1770, over the Trent vale, from Newark bridge to Muskham bridge, having fourteen bridges and 96 arches, at irregular distances: the undertaking was completed by Mr. Smeaton, at an expense of £12,000. Newark bridge, which crosses the river in the vicinity of the castle, was originally of wood, but in 1775 it was rebuilt of brick, faced with stone, by Henry, Duke of Newcastle. Under the sanction of an act of parliament obtained in 1793, great improvement has been effected in the town, from funds vested in the corporation. The "Newark Stock Library" was established in 1825, and a new building has been erected in the market-place by Lord Middleton, and presented by him, as a library and newsroom, to the shareholders. Concerts and assemblies are held in the town-hall; and there is a theatre.
The prominent commercial feature of the town is its very extensive trade in malt and flour. Of the former, 50,000 quarters are annually sent to Manchester, Liverpool, and London, exclusively of supplies to the midland counties; and of the latter, upwards of 80,000 sacks are disposed of every year, by two mercantile houses alone: the revenue received from the town is about £92,000. The Trent navigation, which has been rendered very convenient by the construction of warehouses, and of wharfs, offers facilities for the conveyance of corn, coal, cattle, wool, and other commodities; and the corn market here is one of the largest in this part of the kingdom. The Nottingham and Lincoln railway passes by the town, and in 1846 an act was obtained for a railway from Rolleston, near Newark, through Mansfield, to Clay Cross, near Chesterfield. Another act was passed in 1846 for a railway from Newark to Gainsborough; and the great railway from London to York will pass by. An extensive iron and brass foundry is carried on; more than 300 persons are engaged in a weaving and bleaching establishment; and among other branches of business is the preparation of terra alba, for paper-mills. Large quantities of gypsum and limestone are obtained in the neighbourhood, the former of which is calcined and pulverized for the use of sculptors and plasterers, and sent to London. The market is on Wednesday; and fairs, principally for cattle, are held on the Friday after Mid-Lent Sunday, on May 14th, Whit-Tuesday, Aug. 2nd, Nov. 1st, and the Monday before December 11th. In the year 1800, a cheesemarket was established, to be held on the Wednesday before October 2nd: and a market for fat stock, first held on the 12th of November, 1839, takes place every fortnight.
Several incorporated guilds existed, but the town does not appear to have been incorporated before the 3rd of Edward VI., whose charter, confirmed and extended by Queen Elizabeth and James I., was superseded by that conferred by Charles I. in the second year of his reign, which was modified and enlarged by Charles II. The corporation now consists of a mayor, 6 aldermen, and 18 councillors, under the act of the 5th and 6th of William IV., cap. 76; the number of magistrates is ten. It is uncertain when the borough was first represented in parliament, but there was a contested election in 1592, when one member appears to have been returned; two members were first sent in the 29th of Charles II. The mayor is returning officer. The borough is divided into three wards, and comprises the whole parish of Newark, with the castle precincts and water-mills in the adjoining parish of East Stoke. A court of record is held by the recorder for the cognizance of pleas to the amount of £300; sessions take place quarterly; and the sessions for the hundreds of Newark and Thurgarton are held as often, at the county hall in Cartergate. The county magistrates hold a pettysession on alternate Wednesdays. The powers of the county debt-court of Newark, established in 1847, extend over part of the registration-districts of Newark and Southwell. The town-hall, which stands in the market-place, is a stone edifice, built by the corporation, under the superintendence of Mr. Carr, out of the produce of testamentary estates for the improvement of the town; the expense of its erection was £1790, and two wings have since been added: the room used for assemblies is handsomely finished.
The parish comprises by computation 1767 acres, of which 1176 are arable, and 490 pasture and meadow. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £21. 5. 2½., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £325; impropriators, the Duke of Newcastle and the Earl of Winchilsea. The church, which is one of the largest and most elegant in the kingdom, exhibits portions in all the styles of English architecture, and is a cruciform structure consisting of a nave, aisles, transepts, choir, and sepulchral chapels, with a lofty western tower surmounted by a fine octagonal spire. The base of the tower is Norman, and in the nave are two Norman piers. The choir is of exquisite workmanship, with ancient stone and oak stalls elaborately carved: it is separated from the nave by a rich oak screen, some parts of which, becoming decayed, have been successfully imitated by iron castings, the work of an artist resident at Newark. In this part of the edifice is one of the largest engraved brasses in the kingdom, elaborately ornamented, to the memory of Allan Flemyng, who died in 1361: a portion of this has been restored by the same artist. The large east window is in the later English style, and the piers and arches of the nave and choir are unusually rich. There are some excellent specimens of stained glass in the windows. The altar-piece, an admirable painting of the Resurrection of Lazarus, by Hilton, was presented by the artist, whose father was a native of the town. Christ Church, Lombard-street, erected by subscription in 1837, and consecrated by the Archbishop of York, is a handsome structure in the early English style, and contains 1020 sittings, of which 340 are free. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a glebe-house; patrons, certain Trustees appointed by the Subscribers. There are places of worship for General and Particular Baptists; Independents; Calvinistic, Primitive, and Wesleyan Methodists; and Roman Catholics: the chapel of the Roman Catholics, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was completed in July 1837, at a cost of about £3000, and is a neat edifice with a handsome tower.
The Free Grammar school was founded in 1530, by Dr. Thomas Magnus, Archdeacon of the East riding of Yorkshire, and a native of Newark, who, by will in 1550, bequeathed lands for the support of a "school of grammar and a school of song." The income, amounting to nearly £2400, is thus appropriated: to the grammar school, £270; to the song school, £105; to ten singing boys, £37. 16.; to national schools, £150; to a dispensary, £150; to the commissioners for lighting, paving, and improving the town, £290; and to the churchwardens for the repair of the church, clerk's and sexton's salaries, &c., £750; besides incidental disbursements. There are two exhibitions of £80 per annum each, connected with the school, which are continued for three years to those who are elected to them. Henry Stone, by will dated July 6th, 1688, bequeathed to the corporation £700, directing the produce to be appropriated to the foundation and support of a Jersey or working school. Almshouses for fourteen decayed tradesmen and ten widows, were respectively founded and endowed under the wills of William Phillipott, merchant, dated 1556, and George Lawrence, dated 1797; the income is £790. St. Leonard's hospital, for four persons, was founded by Alexander, Bishop of Lincoln, about 1125, and endowed with lands now producing a rental of £1246. Various other benefactions, amounting to about £500 per annum, are applied under the direction of charity trustees. The union of Newark comprises 49 parishes or places, of which 24 are in the county of Nottingham, and 25 in that of Lincoln, the whole containing a population of 27,350.
The ruins of the castle consist of the outer walls, which inclose a spacious area, and the elegant crypt, with its light groined arches nearly perfect, which is used as a coal-wharf and stables: at the north-east angle of the western front is a square tower, and in the centre of the elevation another; the remains of an ancient portal are visible in the north front. Of conventual buildings there are no vestiges, except the walls of an Augustine Friary, which has been converted into a dwelling-house: the site of the house of certain chantry priests is now occupied by a small elegant mansion. Six entire Roman urns of baked earth, filled with calcined bones and ashes, were found in digging for the foundation of a house, in 1826; and on the site of the castle, more than 100 skeletons have been dug up. The great Roman road from London to Lincoln passed through Newark; and in a straight line near the church are the remains of ancient military works. Amongst the eminent natives of the town may be enumerated, in addition to Dr. Magnus, its munificent benefactor, John Ardern, a learned writer on medicine and surgery in the fifteenth century; Thomas White, Bishop of Peterborough; Dr. Lightfoot, the celebrated Hebraist; and William Warburton, Bishop of Gloucester, born in the year 1698. Newark confers the inferior title of Viscount upon Earl Manvers.
Newbald (St. Nicholas)
NEWBALD (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Beverley, Hunsley-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York; containing 973 inhabitants, of whom 738 are in the township of North Newbald, 4 miles (S. E.), and 235 in that of South Newbald, 4½ miles (S. E. by S.), from Market-Weighton. The parish comprises by computation 5717 acres, of which 3812 are in North, and 1905 in South, Newbald, the former portion principally arable land, and the latter arable and pasture, interspersed with thriving plantations; the surface is undulated, the soil chalk and gravel, and the scenery picturesque. The Monckton family, ancestors of Viscount Galway, who is lord of the manor of South Newbald, were formerly seated here. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Archbishop of York, valued in the king's books at £4; net income, £200. The church is a cruciform structure, chiefly in the Norman style, with transepts, and a tower rising from the intersection, and has several enriched doors and arches; above the principal entrance is a beautiful statue of Our Saviour: the font is early English, curiously formed and ornamented. Here are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. £100 per annum, the bequest of William Gill in 1728, are divided at Christmas among twenty poor families who have not received parochial relief; and there are some minor charities.
NEWBALL, a hamlet, in the parish of Staintonby-Langworth, W. division of the wapentake of Wraggoe, parts of Lindsey, union and county of Lincoln, 4½ miles (W. S. W.) from the town of Wragby; containing, with Reasby, 100 inhabitants.
NEWBIGGIN, a township, in the parish of Dacre, union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of the county of Cumberland, 3¾ miles (W. by S.) from Penrith; containing 341 inhabitants. It comprises 677 acres, of which 500 are moor. On the inclosure in 1772, land and a money payment were assigned in lieu of tithes.
NEWBIGGIN, a township, in the parish of Middleton-in-Teesdale, union of Teesdale, S. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 12½ miles (N. W.) from Barnard-Castle; containing 516 inhabitants. The township comprises by computation 4290 acres, and is bounded on the south by the river Tees, which separates it from Yorkshire. A mill for smelting lead-ore found in the neighbourhood, employs numerous hands. The village is about two miles and a half north-west of Middleton. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a school is partly supported by an endowment of £11 per annum, given by Mr. William Tarn, of London, in 1799.
NEWBIGGIN, a township, in the parish of Newburn, union, and W. division, of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 4 miles (N. W.) from Newcastle; containing 38 inhabitants. It lies west of the Ponteland road, and comprises 544 acres. Newbiggin House is surrounded by fine plantations.
NEWBIGGIN, a chapelry, in the parish of Woodhorn, union of Morpeth, E. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 8½ miles (E. by N.) from Morpeth; containing 760 inhabitants. This place, which is bounded on the east by the sea, formerly belonged to the Balliols, from whom it passed successively to the Valentia, Dreux, Denton, and Widdrington families. The ancient town was of some importance, and in the 43rd of Henry III. obtained a charter for a weekly market on Monday, and an annual fair. Mention occurs of its pier and shipping in various old documents; and in 1337, as a borough of no inconsiderable note, it sent bailiffs to a council on matters of state, convened by the Bishop of Lincoln, the Earl of Warwick, and other noblemen. The township comprises 503 acres. The village is situated on the shore, which, being a fine smooth beach about a mile in length, is well adapted for bathing, for which purpose the place is much frequented during the season; there are several well-built houses for the reception of visiters, and also an inn, in which is a complete establishment of warm, cold, and shower baths. The bay affords good anchorage for small vessels, but is very little used, except for the numerous boats belonging to the fishery of Newbiggin, in which most of the inhabitants are employed. The fish caught are, herring, cod, ling, haddock, salmon, trout, turbot, halibut, soles, lobsters, and crabs, of which great numbers are taken, not only for the supply of the neighbouring markets, but also for those of Newcastle, Carlisle, Manchester, &c.; and houses for the curing of herrings have lately been erected. The chapel is an ancient structure, with a tower surmounted by a spire which was built and formerly used as a beacon. In 1805, two boats, with nineteen men, were lost in a storm off this place, upon which occasion £1700 were subscribed by the inhabitants of Newcastle and its vicinity for the relief of the bereaved families.
NEWBIGGIN, a township, in the parish of Shotley, union of Hexham, E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 9¼ miles (S.) from Hexham; containing 55 inhabitants. This place, which is pleasantly situated on the north bank of the river Derwent, was for many years the residence of the Ord family, of whom Robert, who died in 1778, was chief baron of the exchequer in Scotland. The hamlet is about one mile west of Blanchland. The tithes have been commuted for £23.
Newbiggin (St. Edmund)
NEWBIGGIN (St. Edmund), a parish, in East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 7¼ miles (N. W. by N.) from Appleby; containing 140 inhabitants. It comprises 1184 acres, of which 500 are common or waste land. Newbiggin Hall is a fine old castellated mansion, erected in the year 1533, upon the site of the previous manor-house. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 14. 2.; net income, £113; patron, W. Crackenthorpe, Esq. The church is an ancient building, repewed in 1804. Some rocks near the Hall are represented to have formerly borne various Roman inscriptions.
NEWBIGGIN, a township, in the parish of Aysgarth, wapentake of Hang-West, N. riding of York, 8½ miles (W. by S.) from Middleham; containing 132 inhabitants. It comprises 1360 acres of land, rising into bold moorland hills, in some of which lead-ore is found. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £28. 15., payable to Trinity College, Cambridge.
Newbiggin, East and West
NEWBIGGIN, EAST and WEST, a township, in the parish of Bishopton, union of Sedgefield, S. W. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 5 miles (W.) from Stockton; containing 37 inhabitants. This place formerly belonged to the Conyers family, with whom it continued until the beginning of the 17th century, when Sir George Conyers, Knt., and his son, alienated the manor in various parcels to their tenants, of whom the family of Widdowes appear to have been the chief, one of them being at the time vicar of the parish of Bishopton. The township comprises about 850 acres, of which 460 are arable, 356 pasture, 25 waste and roads, and 9 wood. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £9. 10.; and the impropriate for £97, payable to Sherburn Hospital.
Newbold, with Dunstan
NEWBOLD, with Dunstan, a township, in the parish and union of Chesterfield, hundred of Scarsdale, N. division of the county of Derby, 1¼ mile (N. W.) from Chesterfield; containing 1527 inhabitants. The manor of Newbold, at Domesday survey, was parcel of the demesne of the crown. At the Dissolution, it was part of the estate of Beauchief Abbey, and appears to have been granted to Sir William West, whose son sold it in 1570 to the Eyre family: the manor was afterwards exchanged with the Duke of Portland. The township comprises 3002 acres. Newbold village is situated on a considerable elevation, commanding extensive views over a well-wooded and highly cultivated country. There are extensive coal and iron mines, and several manufactories of brown earthenware and stone bottles. A Methodist place of worship was built in 1842. A school-house was erected by the executors of George Milnes, Esq., who endowed it with land producing an income of £23. 8.; and an almshouse was founded in 1781, by Mrs. Elizabeth Tomlinson, who endowed it with £400 four per cents., for three women.
NEWBOLD, a hamlet, in the parish of Ouston, union of Billesdon, hundred of Gartree, N. division of the county of Leicester, 7 miles (S. by E.) from Melton-Mowbray; containing 24 inhabitants.
NEWBOLD, a liberty, in the parish of Breedon, union of Shardlow, hundred of West Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 4 miles (N. E. by E.) from Ashby; containing 341 inhabitants.
NEWBOLD, a parish, in the union of Shipstonupon-Stour, Upper division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Blockley and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, though locally in the Kington division of the hundred of Kington, county of Warwick, 4 miles (N. by W.) from Shipston; containing, with the hamlet of Armscott, 439 inhabitants, of whom 300 are in Newbold. This parish comprises 1692 acres, of which 161 are common or waste. It was formerly a hamlet in the parish of Tredington, from which it was separated pursuant to an act passed in 1833, which also directed that a church should be erected, and a burial-ground and parsonage-house provided. The living is a rectory, in the gift of Jesus College, Oxford. The church was built in 1835, by grants from the Church-Building Society and Jesus College, and is of stone, in the pointed style, with a tower and spire; it contains 383 sittings, of which 322 are free. One of the free schools established under the will of Thomas Eden is in the parish.
NEWBOLD-GROUNDS, a hamlet, in the parish of Catesby, union of Daventry, hundred of Fawsley, S. division of the county of Northampton, 3¾ miles (W. S. W.) from Daventry; with 16 inhabitants.
Newbold, Lea.—See Lea-Newbold.
NEWBOLD, LEA.—See Lea-Newbold.
Newbold-Pacey (St. George)
NEWBOLD-PACEY (St. George), a parish, in the union of Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwick division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of the county of Warwick, 5¾ miles (N. W. by N.) from Kington; containing, with Ashorn hamlet, 357 inhabitants, and comprising 1786 acres. This place had its distinctive appellation from the family of Pacey, who were anciently its lords. Ashorn is supposed by Dugdale to derive its name from its eastern situation from Newbold, ash, anciently written esse, implying "east," and horn, altered from hyrne, signifying "a corner." The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 3. 9.; net income, £639; patrons, the Provost and Fellows of Queen's College, Oxford.
Newbold-Revel, with Stretton-under-Foss, county of Warwick.—See Stretton-under-Foss.
NEWBOLD-REVEL, with Stretton-under-Foss, county of Warwick.—See Stretton-under-Foss.
Newbold-Upon-Avon (St. Botolph)
NEWBOLD-UPON-AVON (St. Botolph), a parish, in the union of Rugby, Rugby division of the hundred of Knightlow, N. division of the county of Warwick, 2½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Rugby; containing, with the hamlets of Cosford, Little Harborough, Little Lawford, and Long Lawford, 1248 inhabitants, of whom 476 are in the hamlet of Newbold. In the time of the Conqueror, Newbold was held by Geoffrey Wirce; in the reign of Henry I., by the Pantolfs; and in that of Edward I., by the convent of Pipewell and the monks of Kirby. After the Dissolution, the lands called Newbold Grange were granted to the Boughtons, but the manor was obtained by Thomas Wightman, who sold it, 4th of Elizabeth, to Sir Thomas Leigh, Knt., alderman of London, to whose heir, Lord Dunsmore, it was confirmed, 15th Charles I. The estate which belonged to the monks of Kirby was obtained by the Boughtons of Lawford. The parish is situated on the river Avon, and the river Swift, and comprises 3971 acres, of which 1433 are in the hamlet. Limestone of good quality for building and for manure is extensively quarried. The Oxford canal, and the London and Birmingham and the Midland railways pass through the parish. The rateable annual value of the canal property here is returned at £2588, and of the railway property at £1246. The living is a vicarage, endowed with a portion of the rectorial tithes, valued in the king's books at £14. 12. 1., and in the patronage of the family of Leigh; net income, £382; impropriators of the remainder of the rectorial tithes, the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge. The glebe comprises 180 acres. The church is a handsome structure, beautifully situated near the Avon: it contains several monuments to the different branches of the Boughtons. A chapel of ease was erected at Long Lawford, by the late J. Caldecott, Esq.
Newbold-Verdon (St. James)
NEWBOLD-VERDON (St. James), a parish, in the union of Market-Bosworth, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester, 2¾ miles (E. by N.) from Market-Bosworth; containing, with the hamlet of Brascote, 660 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 8. 11½.; net income, £500; patron, the Rev. W. W. Greenway. The church has been enlarged. Lord Crewe, in 1720, bequeathed a rent-charge of £20, for teaching children; and the poor have some small sums.
NEWBOROUGH, a parish, in the union and soke of Peterborough, N. division of the county of Northampton, 5 miles (N. E. by N.) from Peterborough; containing 572 inhabitants. This place, formerly called Borough-Fen common, was some years since elevated into a parish, and a church erected, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Crown; net income, £252, with a house, and a few acres of glebe. The village is situated midway between Peterborough and Crowland.
NEWBOROUGH, a chapelry, in the parish of Hanbury, union of Uttoxeter, N. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 3½ miles (E.) from Abbot's-Bromley; containing 742 inhabitants, several of whom are employed in weaving linen and checks. The manor of Newborough belonged in the reign of the Conqueror to Robert, son of Henry de Ferrers, who enfranchised 101 of his tenants here, and granted them several immunities, so that there are now a number of freeholders. The manor of Agardsley, belonging to Earl Talbot, is in the chapelry. Holly Bush, a neat mansion, stands upon a fine eminence. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £91; patron, the Vicar of Hanbury, whose tithes in Newborough and Thorney-Lane have been commuted for £154. The chapel, dedicated to All Saints, is a plain building with a tower, erected about a century since. There are several small bequests for instruction, and a school is conducted on the national plan.
NEWBOROUGH, a township, in the parish of Coxwold, union of Easingwould, wapentake of Birdforth, N. riding of York, 8 miles (S. W.) from Helmsley; containing 111 inhabitants. It comprises 2313a. 1r. 7p. Newborough Hall is a handsome mansion, standing in an extensive and richly-wooded park. A priory of Black canons, in honour of St. Mary, was founded here in 1145, by Roger de Mowbray, and at the Dissolution had a revenue of £457. 13. 5. William de Newburgh, the celebrated monkish historian, was a member of the establishment.