A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In this section
NEWSELLS, a hamlet, in the parish of Barkway, union of Royston, hundred of Edwinstree, county of Hertford; containing 155 inhabitants.
NEWSHAM, a township, in the parish of Eaglescliffe, union of Stockton, S. W. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 3 miles (W.) from Yarm; containing 57 inhabitants. Here was a chapel dedicated to St. James, of which mention occurs in 1416, when it is recorded that Bishop Langley sequestrated its revenues until William de Eseby, then chaplain, should satisfy the arrears of an annual pension of 3s., due to the rector of Eaglescliffe. The township is on the Tees, and comprises by computation 470 acres of land.
NEWSHAM, a hamlet, in the ecclesiastical parish of Goosnargh, parish of Kirkham, union of Preston, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 5 miles (N. N. W.) from Preston; containing 54 inhabitants. The abbey of Cockersand held two carucates of land in "Newsome," on account of which a claim was made by the abbot to exemption from suit and service to the county and wapentake. This claim is without date, but the validity of a similar claim was tried in the 20th of Edward I., and allowed as to Newsome. In the 17th of Edward II., William de Holland held a messuage, lands, and a water-mill here. The hamlet lies near the road, and also near the railway, from Preston to Lancaster.
NEWSHAM, an extra-parochial liberty, in the union of Caistor, E. division of the wapentake of Yarborough, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 9½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Great Grimsby; containing 14 inhabitants, and comprising 703 acres of land. Bishop Tanner states that the first monastery of the Præmonstratensian order in England was founded here, by Peter de Gousla or Gousel, in 1143, according to some; in 1146, according to others. The monastery was dedicated to the honour of St. Mary and St. Martial, and at the Dissolution consisted of an abbot and eleven canons, whose yearly revenue amounted to £114. 1. 4.; it was granted to Charles, Duke of Suffolk.
NEWSHAM, a lordship, in the township of South Blyth, parish of Earsdon, union of Tynemouth, E. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland; containing 147 inhabitants.
Newsham, with Brind
NEWSHAM, with Brind, a township, in the parish of Wressel, union of Howden, Holme-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 2¼ miles (W. N. W.) from Howden; containing 199 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Derwent, over which a good bridge was erected about 1800, at a cost of £4000. The village is distant a mile and a half southby-east from that of Wressel.
Newsham, with Breckenbrough
NEWSHAM, with Breckenbrough, a township, in the parish of Kirby-Wisk, union of Thirsk, wapentake of Birdforth, N. riding of York, 4¼ miles (W. N. W.) from Thirsk; containing 181 inhabitants. It is situated in a fertile and well-wooded district, and comprises about 2060 acres of land: the village, which is small, is seated on the river Wisk, near its confluence with the Swale. Breckenbrough House is a handsome mansion, with pleasure-grounds and thriving plantations. Dr. George Hicks, a learned divine, was born in the township, in 1642.
NEWSHAM, a township, in the parishes of Barningham and Kirkby-Ravensworth, union of Richmond, wapentake of Gilling-West, N. riding of York, 2¾ miles (S. E.) from Greta-Bridge; containing 451 inhabitants. The township comprises about 3312 acres; the soil is partly fertile, and partly high moors, which shelter the village on the south and west. The village, which consists of a long broad street, is pleasantly situated a little west of the road leading from Greta-Bridge to the village of Middleton-Tyas. Divine service is performed on Sunday evening once a fortnight in a schoolroom.
NEWSHOLME, a township, in the parish of Gisburn, union of Clitheroe, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York, 9¼ miles (S. E. by E.) from Settle; containing 55 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 780 acres.
NEWSTEAD, a township, in the parish of Bambrough, union of Belford, N. division of Bambrough ward and of Northumberland, 5¼ miles (S. E. by S.) from Belford; containing 113 inhabitants. It comprises the farms of Birchwood-hall, Rosebrough, Rayhaugh, and Newstead. The hamlet lies a little to the east of the road from Belford to Alnwick.
NEWSTEAD, an extra-parochial liberty, adjoining the parish of Papplewick, in the union of Basford, N. division of the wapentake of Broxtow and of the county of Nottingham, 5¼ miles (S.) from Mansfield; containing 193 inhabitants. A priory of Black canons, in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, was founded here in 1170, by Henry II. At the Dissolution its revenue was valued at £219. 18. 8., and the site was granted to the then lieutenant of Sherwood Forest, Sir John Byron, in whose family the estate continued until it was sold by the late Lord Byron. The present mansion, in which the poet resided for a short period, exhibits considerable remains of the monastic buildings; the cloisters and the west end of the abbey church are in the early English style, and in excellent preservation. These venerable remains are situated on an estate comprising 3226a. 3r. 33p., of which 290 acres are woodland and plantations, with several lakes, covering nearly 67 acres, and forming the source of the river Leen. The park is now divided into farms, except in the immediate vicinity of the house, which is beautifully situated in grounds harmonizing with the antiquated mansion and the monastic remains.
NEWSTEAD-on-Ancholme, an extra-parochial liberty, in the union of Glandford-Brigg, S. division of the wapentake of Yarborough, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 1½ mile (S.) from Glandford-Brigg; containing 27 inhabitants, and comprising 469 acres of land. It was given by Henry II. to St. Gilbert and the canons of Sempringham, who here founded a priory of their order in honour of the Holy Trinity, the revenue of which at the Dissolution was valued at £55. 1. 8.
NEWTHORP, a township, in the parish of Sherburn, Upper division of the wapentake of BarkstoneAsh, W. riding of York, 6½ miles (N. N. W.) from Ferry-Bridge; containing 70 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 779 acres of land, of which much of the substratum is good limestone. The village is small and scattered, about a mile and a half south-west of Sherburn. The tithes of this place and Huddlestone have been commuted for £23. 17.
NEWTHORPE, a hamlet, in the parish of Greasly, union of Basford, S. division of the wapentake of Broxtow, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 7 miles (N. W.) from Nottingham; containing 1126 inhabitants. It comprises upwards of 1000 acres of land, mostly the property of Viscount Melbourne, and has a small village of its own name. A colliery is in operation. In the hamlet are three places of worship for dissenters.
New-Timber (St. John the Evangelist)
NEW-TIMBER (St. John the Evangelist), a parish, in the union of Cuckfield, hundred of Poynings, rape of Lewes, E. division of Sussex, 7 miles (N. N. W.) from Brighton; containing 165 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from London to Brighton, viâ Hickstead, and comprises 1666 acres, of which 685 are common or waste land. New-Timber Place is an ancient mansion of brick, surrounded with a moat. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 8. 4., and in the gift of the Trustees of the late Charles Gordon, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £315, and the glebe comprises 19 acres. The church, a handsome structure in the later English style, was thoroughly repaired, and an embattled tower added to it, in 1839, chiefly at the expense of the Gordon family.