A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
UBBERLEY, a township, in the parish and union of Stoke-upon-Trent, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford; containing 215 inhabitants.
Ubbeston (St. Peter)
UBBESTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union and hundred of Blything, E. division of Suffolk, 5 miles (S. W. by W.) from Halesworth; containing 243 inhabitants. It is watered by the river Blyth, and comprises by measurement 1200 acres; the soil is of a mixed quality, rather heavy than otherwise, and the surface more hilly than in the adjoining parishes. Ubbeston Hall, now a farmhouse, was the residence of the Kemp family, but was sold on the death of Sir Robert Kemp in 1780 without issue. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, valued in the king's books at 6. 13. 4., and in the gift of the Rev. Edmund Holland: the tithes have been commuted for 315, and the glebe comprises 6 acres. The church, which is chiefly in the later English style, has an embattled tower, and a fine Norman doorway on the north side.
Ubley, or Obleigh (St. Bartholomew)
UBLEY, or Obleigh (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Clutton, hundred of Chewton, E. division of Somerset, 9 miles (N. by W.) from Wells; containing 369 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at 11. 11. 5., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for 194, and the glebe comprises 70 acres. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
UCKERBY, a township, in the parish of Catterick, union of Richmond, wapentake of Gilling-East, N. riding of York, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Catterick; containing 40 inhabitants. It comprises 740 acres, the property of the Earl of Tyrconnel, who is lord of the manor. St. Cuthbert's well here, is supposed to derive its name from a monastery dedicated to St. Cuthbert, of which no traces remain; the water is said to be useful in the cure of cutaneous diseases and of rheumatism. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for 59, and the vicarial for 30. 10.
Uckfield (Holy Cross)
UCKFIELD (Holy Cross), a market-town, a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of LoxfieldDorset, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 8 miles (N. E. by N.) from Lewes; containing 1534 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the west by the river Ouse, and comprises 1636a. 2r. 37p., of which about 70 acres are under the cultivation of hops, and 40 in roads, sites of buildings, and waste; the scenery is exceedingly picturesque, and the air salubrious. The village is situated on an eminence, on the road from Lewes to London and to Tonbridge-Wells; and contains several good houses. Petty-sessions are held every Friday in the winter, and every alternate Friday during the summer, at the Maidenhead hotel, where occasional assemblies take place in a handsome ball-room. There is a market for corn on Friday; and cattle-fairs occur on May 14th and August 29th. The living is annexed to the rectory of Buxted; the rector's tithes have been commuted for 315. The nave of the church was rebuilt in 1840, by subscription, and a spire has been added to the tower. The Baptists and Wesleyans have places of worship. Dr. Anthony Saunders, in 1719, left a school-house, and some land now producing 70 per annum, in trust for the establishment of a free grammar school for six boys of this parish, and six of Buxted, and also gave his library for the use of the school; part of the rent is applied in apprenticing boys of Buxted. The poor-law union of Uckfield comprises 11 parishes or places, containing a population of 16,447: the workhouse, situated on elevated ground, was erected in 1839. In a house once occupied by Bishop Christopherson, confessor to Queen Mary, are preserved some massive rings, and vestiges of popery. In the grounds of R. S. Streatfield, Esq., are various curiously-formed rocks, hollowed into caves.
UCKINGTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Elmstone-Hardwicke, union of Cheltenham, Lower division of the hundred of Deerhurst, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 2 miles (N. W.) from Cheltenham; containing 200 inhabitants. This place lies on the road from Cheltenham to Worcester and Malvern, and comprises 852 acres of good land, wholly appropriated to agriculture, and watered by the Chelt. The great tithes have been commuted for 313. 10., and the vicarial for 72.
Udimore (St. Mary)
UDIMORE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and borough of Rye, hundred of Gostrow, rape of Hastings, E. division of Sussex, 3 miles (W. S. W.) from Rye; containing 483 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the south by Brede channel, and situated on the road from Rye to Battle. It comprises 1950 acres, whereof 990 are arable, 750 meadow, pasture, and marsh, and 210 woodland: the surface is marked with hill and dale, and the scenery enriched with every kind of wood. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at 8. 5. 2.; net income, 100; patron, T. C. Langford, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for 400. The church is principally in the early English style.
Uffculme (St. Mary)
UFFCULME (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Tiverton, hundred of Bampton, Collumpton and N. divisions of Devon, 4 miles (N. E.) from Collumpton; containing 2011 inhabitants. This is a decayed markettown, and during the last century a great quantity of serge was made here; there are still some flannels manufactured; and fairs are held on the Wednesday in Passion-week, June 29th, and the middle Wednesday in September. The parish comprises 5545 acres, of which 179 are common or waste. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at 18. 0. 2., and in the patronage of the Prebendary of Uffculme in Salisbury Cathedral: the great tithes have been commuted for 427. 11., and the vicarial for 455. 16. The church has a rich wooden screen. There are places of worship for Baptists and Independents; also a free grammar school founded in 1701, by Nicholas Ashford, with 1200, of which 400 were expended in building the schoolhouse. Bradfield Hall, in the parish, is a perfect ancient mansion, containing several curious apartments, and to which a chapel was formerly attached. On a common in the neighbourhood is a place called Pixy Garden, an old earthwork.
Uffington (St. Mary)
UFFINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Farringdon, hundred of Shrivenham, county of Berks, 4 miles (S. S. E.) from Farringdon; containing, with the chapelries of Baulking and Wolstone, 1170 inhabitants, of whom 640 are in Uffington township. The parish comprises 6028a. 1r. 13p.; and is intersected by the Wilts and Berks canal, and the Great Western railway. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at 21; net income, 369; patron and impropriator, C. Eyre, Esq. The church is a handsome cruciform structure in the early English style; the spire was destroyed by lightning, about 1750. There are chapels of ease at Baulking and Wolstone. Thomas Saunders, in 1636, founded and endowed a free school; the rents for its support amount to 40. On WhiteHorse Hill, just above the village, is Uffington Castle, a large encampment surrounded by a double vallum, the inner one very high; it is 700 feet from east to west, 500 from north to south, and is supposed to be a work of the Britons, afterwards occupied by the Romans. The hill takes its name from the rude figure of a horse, 374 feet in length, cut in the turf, near the summit, and said to be commemorative of a victory which Alfred obtained over the Danes in the neighbourhood, though some consider it a British work: lands were formerly held here by the tenure of cutting away the turf to render the figure more visible. Westward of Uffington Castle is a large tumulus or cromlech called Wayland Smith's cave; and various other tumuli are scattered on the downs, particularly between Uffington and Lambourn, the most considerable of which are those called the Seven Barrows. Uffington gives the inferior title of Viscount to the Earl of Craven.
Uffington (St. Michael)
UFFINGTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Stamford, wapentake of Ness, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 2 miles (E. by N.) from Stamford; containing, with the hamlet of Casewick, 530 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Stamford to Boston, and considerable facilities are afforded by the river Welland. Stone is quarried for the roads. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at 21. 5. 2.: net income, 837; patron, the Earl of Lindsey, whose splendid mansion is in the parish. There is a glebe of 60 acres, with a house; and some land in Deeping fen belongs to the rectory. The church is a handsome structure, partly in the early and partly in the later English style, with a fine tower and spire, and some fragments of ancient stained glass. A national school was endowed by Albemarle, 9th earl of Lindsey, with 20 per annum: 10. 4. per annum, arising from various bequests, are distributed in money and bread, and from this fund a child is occasionally apprenticed. An hospital, or priory of Augustine canons, in honour of the Virgin Mary, was founded in the reign of Henry III. or his predecessor, by William de Albini, and at the Dissolution had a revenue of 42. 1. 3.
Uffington (Holy Trinity)
UFFINGTON (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Atcham, Wellington division of the hundred of South Bradford, N. division of Salop, 3 miles (E. N. E.) from Shrewsbury; containing 163 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 1180 acres. Some small coal-mines were lately worked; and a hard kind of trapstone is quarried on Haghmon Hill, for the repair of roads and for rough walls. The village is situated on the banks of the Severn, and on the road leading from High Ercall to the London road at Atcham; the Shrewsbury canal passes at the end of the village. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of 59; the patronage and impropriation belong to Mrs. Corbett; and there is a small glebe-house and garden. The church is supposed to have been built about the 14th century.
UFFORD, a tything, in the parish, union, and hundred of Crediton, Crediton and N. divisions of Devon, 3 miles (W. by S.) from Crediton; containing 286 inhabitants.
Ufford (St. Andrew)
UFFORD (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Stamford, soke of Peterborough, N. division of the county of Northampton; containing, with the hamlet of Ashton, 286 inhabitants, of whom 185 are in Ufford hamlet, 5 miles (S. E.) from Stamford. The parish comprises 1866a. 2r. 18p. Its soil is various, the meadow land rich; the surface is partly hilly, and where level is sometimes flooded by the river Welland. The Roman road from the station at Caistor, leading towards Lincoln, passes on the east. The railway from Syston to Peterborough runs within a mile. The living is a rectory, with the living of Bainton annexed, valued in the king's books at 26. 13. 4.; income, about 500; patrons, the Master and Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge. There is a glebe of 37 acres.
Ufford (St. Mary)
UFFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Woodbridge, hundred of Wilford, E. division of Suffolk, 2 miles (N. E.) from Woodbridge; containing 673 inhabitants. It comprises 1155a. 2r. 29p;.: the soil in general is light or mixed, but in some places clayey; the surface is partly hilly, and the lands adjacent to the river Deben, which flows through the parish, are subject to inundation. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at 8. 5., and in the gift of F. C. Brooke, Esq., whose seat, Ufford Place, is in the parish: the tithes have been commuted for 331, and the glebe consists of 35 acres. The church contains a font with a curious cover, which has been engraved by the Society of Antiquaries. Here was anciently a chapel called Sogenho. An hospital for four men was founded by Thomas Wood, D.D., Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry, who endowed it with 15 per annum. William Otley, lord mayor of London in 1434, was born here; and the Uffords, earls of Suffolk, took their name from the place.
Ufton, or Upton-Nervet (St. Peter)
UFTON, or Upton-Nervet (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Bradfield, hundred of Theale, county of Berks, 7 miles (S. W. by W.) from Reading; containing 391 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2029a. 3r. 8p., of which 36 acres are common or waste; the soil is gravel, and the surface hilly: the river Kennet runs through. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at 11. 3. l.; net income, 426; patrons, the Provost and Fellows of Oriel College, Oxford. There are some slight remains of a church which belonged to Upton-Greys, once a distinct parish, but consolidated with this in 1442.
Ufton (St. Michael)
UFTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Southam, Kenilworth division of the hundred of Knightlow, S. division of the county of Warwick, 2 miles (W. by N.) from Southam; containing 188 inhabitants. It is intersected by the road from Warwick to Daventry, and consists of 1539 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester, with a net income of 80: the tithes have been commuted for two rent-charges, each of 190; and there are 92 acres of glebe.
UGBOROUGH, a parish, in the union of Totnes, hundred of Ermington, Ermington and Plympton, and S. divisions of Devon, 8 miles (W. S. W.) from Totnes; containing 523 inhabitants. The parish is on the road from Plymouth to Exeter, and comprises 8659 acres, of which 2631 are common or waste. A lead-mine is worked at Filham, and there are some quarries of slate and limestone. Fairs are held in May and November. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with a portion of the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at 20; net income, 260; patrons, the Grocers' Company; impropriator of the remainder of the rectorial tithes, Lady Carew. There are 3 acres of glebe. The church is a handsome structure, standing upon a bold eminence, and forming a striking feature in the scenery; it is in the early English style, and contains a Norman font, and some curious remains of ancient screenwork. At Ivybridge, a village partly in the parish, is a district church; and at Earlscombe was formerly a chapel. There is a place of worship for Baptists. Sir John Kempthorn, a distinguished admiral, was born at Widescomb here, in 1620.
Uggeshall (St. Mary)
UGGESHALL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Blything, E. division of Suffolk, 1 mile (N. W.) from Wangford; containing 295 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1466 acres, of which 20 are occupied by roads. The living is a rectory, with that of Sotherton annexed, valued in the king's books at 13. 6. 8., and in the gift of the Earl of Stradbroke. The tithes of Uggeshall have been commuted for 380, and the glebe comprises 43 acres, with a commodious parsonage-house, much improved by the late rector, the Rev. Thomas Sheriffe. The church has a low square tower, enveloped with ivy.
UGGLEBARNBY, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Whitby, liberty of Whitby-Strand, N. riding of York, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from Whitby; containing 448 inhabitants. Ugglebarnby belonged to Whitby Abbey, and at the Dissolution came into the possession of the Archbishop of York. The lower grounds are rich and fertile, and the higher indifferent corn land; the small river Little Beck runs through the chapelry. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Eskdaleside: the chapel was built in 1137, by Nicholas, abbot of Whitby.
Ugley (St. Peter)
UGLEY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Bishop-Stortford, hundred of Clavering, N. division of Essex, 2 miles (N.) from Stansted-Mountfitchet; containing 381 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises by measurement 2020 acres, is pleasantly situated in the north-eastern part of the hundred, on the road from London to Cambridge. Ugley Hall is an ancient mansion near the church; Orford House, a handsome residence of brick, takes its name from the Earl of Orford, by whom it was built. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at 14. 13. 4.; patrons and impropriators, the Governors of Christ's Hospital, London. The great tithes have been commuted for 360. 13., and the vicarial for 99. 8.; the glebes respectively comprise 48 and 3 acres. The church is a small edifice, with a belfry-turret surmounted by a cupola: on the south side of the chancel is a chapel belonging to Bolliugton Hall.
UGTHORPE, a township, in the parish of Lythe, union of Whitby, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 7 miles (W.) from Whitby; containing 242 inhabitants. This was an ancient demesne of the crown, and is styled in Domesday book Ughetorp; the Mauleys became lords here at an early period, and from them the manor and estate descended by marriage to the Bigods,and afterwards to the Ratcliffes, by whom the whole was sold in parcels. The township is situated in the western part of the parish, south of the road between Whitby and Guisborough. A Roman Catholic chapel was erected about 1812; and a school is partly supported by 10 per annum from a Roman Catholic fund.