A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
NEWTOWN, a hamlet, in the parish of Dunton, union and hundred of Biggleswade, county of Bedford; containing 57 inhabitants.
NEWTOWN, a township, in the parish of Irthington, union of Brampton, Eskdale ward, E. division of the county of Cumberland, 2¾ miles (N. W. by W.) from Brampton; containing 217 inhabitants.
NEWTOWN, with Hurst, a township, in the parish of Dilwyn, union of Weobley, hundred of Stretford, county of Hereford; with 79 inhabitants.
NEWTOWN, a hamlet, in the parish and poor-law union of Leominster, hundred of Wolphy, county of Hereford, 4 miles (S. by E.) from the town of Leominster; containing 72 inhabitants.
NEWTOWN, a township, in the parish and union of Rothbury, W. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 1½ mile (W. S. W.) from Rothbury; containing 57 inhabitants. It is situated on the northern declivity of a ridge of rocks; the streams of the Cowett wells unite here, and, dashing down the steep and passing Tosson mill, are lost in the Coquet, which flows on the north, a short distance from the hamlet. The land is good turnip soil. On the east of the township is the Carterside estate, partly the property of the Duke of Northumberland.
NEWTOWN, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Wem, Whitchurch division of the hundred of North Bradford, N. division of the county of Salop, 3 miles (N. W.) from Wem; containing 79 inhabitants. The chapelry comprises 2638a. 10p., of which the greater portion is arable land. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £44; patrons, the Inhabitants. The chapel, consecrated in 1663, and dedicated to King Charles the Martyr, was rebuilt in 1836, at the expense of the principal inhabitants, aided by grants from societies.
NEWTOWN, a hamlet, in the parish of Durnford, union and hundred of Amesbury, S. division of the county of Wilts; containing 28 inhabitants.
NEWTOWN, a tything, in the parish of Enford, union of Pewsey, hundred of Elstub and Everley, Everley and Pewsey, and S. divisions of the county of Wilts; containing 78 inhabitants.
NEWTOWN, a tything, in the parish of Shalbourn, union of Hungerford, hundred of Kinwardstone, Marlborough and Ramsbury, and S. divisions of the county of Wilts; containing 51 inhabitants.
Newtown-Linford (All Saints)
NEWTOWN-LINFORD (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Barrow-upon-Soar, hundred of West Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 5½ miles (N. W.) from Leicester; containing 495 inhabitants. It is pleasantly situated at the south corner of Charnwood Forest, in a beautiful valley, surrounded by rich woodlands, and adjoining the park of Broadgate, the ancient seat of the Greys, ancestors of the Earl of Stamford and Warrington, the present proprietor. The inhabitants are principally employed in the very extensive woods. The parish is a lay rectory, belonging to the earl, as lord of the manor of Groby; net income of the minister, £100.
Newtown-Near-Newbury (St. Mary and St. John the Baptist)
NEWTOWN-NEAR-NEWBURY (St. Mary and St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Newbury, hundred of Evingar, Kingsclere and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 2 miles (S. by E.) from Newbury; containing 246 inhabitants. The living is annexed to the rectory of Burghclere: the tithes have been commuted for £100. 13., and the glebe comprises two acres. The church has been enlarged.
NEW-VILLAGE, an extra-parochial liberty, in the union of Howden, Hunsley-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 2½ miles (S. W.) from North Cave; containing 160 inhabitants. It comprises 490 acres of land, which formed part of Walling Fen previous to its inclosure in 1780: the village is a suburb of Newport and New Gilberdike, where are commodious wharfs and several brick and tile yards, on both sides of the Market-Weighton canal. The road from North Cave to Howden passes through.
NIBLEY, a hamlet, in the parish of Westerleigh, poor-law union of Chipping-Sodbury, hundred of Puckle-Church, W. division of the county of Gloucester; containing 186 inhabitants.
Nibley, North (St. Martin)
NIBLEY, NORTH (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Dursley, Upper division of the hundred of Berkeley, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 2½ miles (N. W.) from Wotton-under-Edge; containing 1305 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3240a. 1r. 27p., of which 132 acres are common land. The manufacture of woollen-cloth was formerly carried on to a great extent, but the mills have been long untenanted, and the trade discontinued. There are some quarries of stone for building, and for repairing the roads. The right to the manor was litigated between the families of Berkeley and Lisle for nearly 200 years, during which William, Lord Berkeley, and Thomas, Lord Lisle, had recourse to arms to decide their right; on May 20th, 1470, the parties met on Nibley Green with their respective followers, amounting to nearly 1000 men, of whom 150 fell in the combat, and amongst them Lord Lisle, who was shot in the mouth with an arrow, which decided the contest. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £95; patron, J. Jortin, Esq.; appropriators, the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford. The church lately received 60 additional free sittings, the Incorporated Society having granted £50 in aid of the expense. A chapel has been built at the extremity of the parish, by George Bengough, Esq., who appoints a curate, to whom he pays £150 per annum. There is a place of worship for Independents. William Purnell, in 1763, bequeathed £300 for teaching, and an estate for apprenticing, boys; the total annual income is £57. It is said that Tindal the reformer resided here.
NIBTHWAITE, a township, in the parish of Coulton, union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 8 miles (N.) from Ulverston. Thomas Dodgson, in the 1st of Henry VIII., occupied the old mansion of Bothaker in this township: the house still stands. The lake of Coniston begins to contract here, towards its termination in the river Crake.
NICHOL-FOREST, a chapelry, in the parish of Kirk-Andrews-upon-Esk, union of Longtown, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 10½ miles (N. E. by N.) from Longtown; containing 825 inhabitants, of whom 449 are in the Upper, and 376 in the Lower, township. The Liddel and Kershop rivers, which separate the chapelry from Scotland, here produce some beautiful cascades; and from the bed of the former, rises a chalybeate spring called Hert-fell Spa, the water of which is strongly impregnated with alum. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £132; patron, Sir J. R. G. Graham, Bart. The chapel, situated at Kingfield, was rebuilt in the year 1812. Armstrong, the poet, was born in the neighbourhood.
NICHOLAS, ST., a parish, in the union of NewtonAbbott, hundred of Wonford, Teignbridge and S. divisions of Devon, 5½ miles (E. by S.) from NewtonAbbott; containing 1175 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the east by the Teign, and lies opposite to Teignmouth, with which it communicates by a bridge over the river; it comprises the pleasant village of Shaldon, and the greater part of the hamlet of Ringmore, and the neighbourhood abounds with diversified scenery. The living is a discharged vicarage; income, £125; patron, Lord Clifford; impropriators, the landowners.
Nicholas, St., At Wade
NICHOLAS, ST., AT WADE, a parish, in the union of the Isle of Thanet, hundred of Ringslow, or Isle of Thanet, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 6½ miles (W. S. W.) from Margate; containing 679 inhabitants. It comprises 3440 acres, of which 25 are marsh. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury (the appropriator), valued in the king's books at £15. 19. 7.; net income, £161. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £25, with a glebe of 9 acres; and those belonging to the Archbishop for £1026, with a glebe of 12 acres. The church consists of three aisles and chancels, with a square tower at the west end; between the centre and south aisle are three fine Saxon arches. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; also two schools, one endowed with £16 per annum, and the other supported by subscription.
NICKLEBY, a township, in the parish of Lythe, union of Whitby, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 6½ miles (W. by N.) from the town of Whitby; containing 186 inhabitants. This place, called in Domesday book Michelbi, was an ancient manor, which in the reign of John came to the Mauleys, who held of the king in capite. The lands were granted out at an early period, for it appears that in the time of Edward I. the free tenants had four carucates of land here, which they held of Peter de Mauley, as of the barony of Mulgrave. Nickleby is situated near the road from Whitby to Guisborough.
NIDD, a parish, in the liberty of Ripon, W. riding of York, 1½ mile (E.) from Ripley; containing 114 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the south by the river Nidd, and comprises 1013a. 2r. 24½p., of which 450 acres are arable, 465 meadow and pasture, and the remainder wood and plantations. The surface is gently undulated, and the prevailing scenery pleasingly rural: the soil varies greatly; the pastures and meadows, with the exception only of a few acres, are luxuriantly rich, but a considerable portion of the arable land is cold, and produces indifferent crops. Nidd Hall, the seat of the ancient family of Trappes, was purchased, together with the estate, about the year 1830, from Francis Michael Trappes, Esq., by Benjamin Rawson, Esq. The village is situated on the road from Knaresborough to Pateley-Bridge. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £3. 6. 10½., and in the patronage of the Crown, in right of the duchy of Lancaster; net income, £96; appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Ripon Cathedral. The church is a very ancient structure.
NIDEN, an extra-parochial place, in the union of Langport, hundred of Abdick and Bulstone, W. division of Somerset; containing 65 inhabitants.
NIGHTON, a chapelry, in the parish of St. Winnow, union of Bodmin, hundred of West, E. division of the county of Cornwall, 2 miles (E. by N.) from Lostwithiel. The chapel is dedicated to St. Necton.