A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Vange (All Saints)
VANGE (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Billericay, hundred of Barstable, S. division of Essex, 5 miles (N. E. by E.) from Horndon-on-the-Hill; containing 169 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the south by a creek of the river Thames, and comprehends a low tract of marshy land called Bower's Marsh, and a portion of Canvey Island. It comprises by computation 1451a. 28p., whereof 895 acres are arable, 484 meadow, 6 reed land, 3 in homesteads, and 60 glebe. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at 14, and in the gift of Sir C. Smith, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for 310. The church, a small ancient edifice, has been lately repaired, and enlarged by the erection of a gallery.
VAULTERSHOME, a tything, in the parish of Maker, union of St. Germans, S. division of the hundred of East, E. division of Cornwall, 1 mile (S. by W.) from Devonport; containing 1156 inhabitants.
Vauxhall, county of Surrey.See Lambeth.
VAUXHALL, county of Surrey.See Lambeth.
Veep, St. (St. Cyricius)
VEEP, ST. (St. Cyricius), a parish, in the union of Liskeard, hundred of West, E. division of Cornwall, 3 miles (N. N. E.) from Fowey; containing 710 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the west by the navigable river Fowey, on the north by the Leryn, and on the south by Penpol creek. It is situated midway between Fowey and Lostwithiel, and comprises by computation 2394 acres; the soil is fertile, and the surface hilly. During the civil war, the royalist cavalry were quartered here previously to the capitulation of the Earl of Essex, in 1644. Fairs are held on the Wednesday before Midsummer-day, and the second Tuesday after Shrove-Tuesday. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at 5. 0. 7., and in the gift of F. Howell, Esq.: the rectorial tithes have been commuted for 320, and the vicarial for 231. 10.; the glebe contains 16 acres, and the parsonage-house is in good repair. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Some remains exist of a small priory founded by one of the earls of Cornwall as a cell to Montacute Priory, in Somerset, and dedicated to St. Cyric and St. Juliett. Walter de Exon, author of a history of Guy, Earl of Warwick, in the latter part of the 13th century, was an inmate of the priory, in which he was interred.
Venn-Ottery (St. Gregory)
VENN-OTTERY (St. Gregory), a parish, in the union of Honiton, hundred of East Budleigh, Woodbury and S. divisions of Devon, 3 miles (S. W. by S.) from Ottery St. Mary; containing 134 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the right bank of the river Otter, and is divided from the parishes of Aylesbear and Rockbear, on its western extremity, by a range of hills. It comprises by measurement 907 acres, of which 497 are arable, 100 meadow or pasture, 4 wood, 280 common or waste, 18 orchard, 16 glebe, and 10 road. The surface is undulated, rising gently from the river to the hills, and intersected by several small brooks; the soil is a strong loam, but in parts sandy and gravelly, with some marl and clay. The living is a vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, and annexed to that of Harpford: the tithes have been commuted for 125. The church is chiefly in the later English style.
VENTNOR, a fashionable watering-place, in the parish of Newchurch, liberty of East Medina, Isle of Wight division of the county of Southampton, 10 miles (S. E. by S.) from Newport; containing 970 inhabitants. This place, which is situated on the southern coast of the island, has risen into reputation owing to the salubrity of the air, which in the winter season is remarkably mild and dry, shelter being afforded from the north and east winds by the Undercliff. An act was passed in 1844 for establishing a market, and for the general improvement of the place. Stone applicable to building purposes abounds, and in the vicinity is an excellent flour-mill. The church here, dedicated to St. Catherine, is a handsome structure in the early English style, with a spire 103 feet high, the whole erected at the expense of John Hambrough, Esq., of Steephill Castle, who is the patron; it was consecrated on 20th July, 1837, and contains 500 sittings, one-third of which are free. The founder also munificently endowed it with 1000, and erected a parsonage-house, at a cost of 2500. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyan Methodists.
VERNHAM-DEAN, a parish, in the union of Andover, hundred of Pastrow, Andover and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 8 miles (N. by W.) from Andover; containing 707 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 3500 acres: the soil is chiefly a strong clay, resting on a stratum of chalk, but in the valleys is more loose and gravelly. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Hurstbourn-Tarrant. The church occupies a lonely and romantic situation. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
VERWOOD, a tything, in the parish of Cranborne, union of Wimborne and Cranborne, hundred of Monckton-up-Wimborne, Wimborne division of Dorset; containing 685 inhabitants.
Veryan (St. Sympholiana)
VERYAN (St. Sympholiana), a parish, in the union of Truro, W. division of the hundred of Powder and of the county of Cornwall, 4 miles (S. by W.) from Tregoney; containing 1569 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4818 acres, of which 661 are common or waste. It is situated on a bay of the same name in the English Channel, by which it is bounded on the south; and includes the fishing-cove of Portloe, where the inhabitants are principally employed. The road from Tregoney to St. Mawes passes through it. Stone is quarried for purposes of husbandry and for cottagebuilding. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at 19, and in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter: the rectorial tithes have been commuted for about 770, and the vicarial for 361; the glebe consists of 48 acres, Cornish measure. The church contains several neat monuments, and an ancient font enriched with sculpture. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and Bryanites; also a national school endowed with 739 three per cent, consols. Within a mile of the church is a very large barrow called the Beacon, from which a fine view is obtained over the adjacent country, particularly towards the west; and on the road to Gwenda is a singular mound on the side of a hill, environed by a fosse.
Virginstow (St. Bridget)
VIRGINSTOW (St. Bridget), a parish, in the union of Holsworthy, hundred of Lifton, Lifton and S. divisions of Devon, 6 miles (N. E. by N.) from Launceston; containing 167 inhabitants. The parish comprises 800 acres, of which 400 are common or waste. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at 5. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for 115, and the glebe contains 40 acres.
Virley (St. Mary)
VIRLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Lexden and Winstree, hundred of Winstree, N. division of Essex, 8 miles (S. S. W.) from Colchester; containing 68 inhabitants. Virley creek, in the parish, is navigable to the sea. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at 7. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Rev. C. S. Coxwell: the tithes have been commuted for 155, and there are 18 acres of glebe.
Vowchurch (St. Bartholomew)
VOWCHURCH (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Dore, hundred of Webtree, county of Hereford, 10 miles (W. by S.) from Hereford; containing 355 inhabitants. This parish is situated in the "Golden valley," and on the river Dore, celebrated as a fine trout stream. It is intersected by the road from Hereford to Hay, and comprises 2583a. 3r. 33p., whereof 1022 acres are arable, 1223 meadow and pasture, and 338 woodland and coppice. Stone is quarried, chiefly for building and for tiling. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at 5. 9.; net income, 200; patron, the Prebendary of Putson Major in the Cathedral of Hereford. The church is very ancient, and remarkable for its fine oak roof supported on large pillars of the same material. There was a chapel at Monington-Straddel, but it was pulled down some few years since, no clergyman being resident at the time. A free school is partly supported with the interest of 100; and the poor have some small bequests. In the neighbourhood is a square encampment.
VOWMINE, a township, partly in the parish of Clifford, hundred of Huntington, and partly in the parish of Dorstone, hundred of Webtree, union of Hay, county of Hereford, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Hay; containing 97 inhabitants.