A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
WALHAM, a hamlet, in the parish of Clareborough, union of East Retford, North-Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham; containing 110 inhabitants.
WALHAM-GREEN, a chapelry, in the parish of Fulham, union of Kensington, Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county of Middlesex, 3 miles (S. W. by W.) from London. The living is a perpetual curacy; income, £230; patron, the "Vicar of Fulham. The chapel, dedicated to St. John, was erected in 1829, at an expense of £9683, defrayed by subscription, and a grant from the Parliamentary Commissioners; it is a handsome edifice in the early English style, with a tower. An asylum was lately erected in connexion with the Butchers' Charitable Institution.
WALHAMPTON, a tything, in the parish of Boldre, union of Lymington, hundred of Christchurch, Lymington and S. divisions of the county of Southampton; containing 237 inhabitants.
WALKDEN-MOOR, an ecclesiastical district, partly in the township of Little Hulton, parish of Deane, and partly in the township of Worsley, parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 7½ miles (N. W.) from Manchester, on the road to Chorley; containing about 2400 inhabitants, who are chiefly employed in collieries. The present church, dedicated to St. George, has just been erected, and is in the Norman style, with a tower: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Earl of Ellesmere, with an income of £100, being a rent-charge on land in the township of Barton. The cost of the church, of the parsonage-house, and the schools, with the endowment of the living, was defrayed by the noble patron. The former church, which had become too small for the population, has been converted into a Sunday school. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
WALKER, a township, in the parish of Long Benton, union of Tynemouth, E. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 2½ miles (E.) from Newcastle; containing, in 1847, about 4900 inhabitants. The township is bounded on the south by the river Tyne, and comprises 1108a. 3r. 33p., of strong clay land good for wheat; the whole belonging to the corporation of Newcastle, partly in their own right, and partly as trustees for Jesus' Hospital. Along the banks of the river are several extensive manufactories and coalstaiths. Walker colliery is the property of Captain Potts and Messrs. Jobling and Carr; the pit is 110 fathoms deep to the main seam, and the coal, which is of the best quality, is chiefly sent to the London market. In this colliery is a salt-spring, which was used in the manufacture of soda, when that substance was first made an article of commerce; the manufacture was begun by permission of the government in 1795, by Messrs. Surtees and Losh, who may be regarded as the first producers of mineral alkali and soda in England. Large ironworks are carried on; also mills for crushing seeds, an oil-factory, and turpentine-distillery: iron ships are built; and bricks and tiles, and copperas, are extensively manufactured. The Newcastle and Tynemouth railway has a station here. The township was constituted an ecclesiastical district in 1846, under the act 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37: the living is in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Durham, alternately. Walker is exempt from great tithes: the vicarial tithes have been commuted for £22. 10., and a modus of £2 per annum is paid to Balliol College, Oxford. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Presbyterians; and two schools. The great Roman wall passes here, and terminates within a mile and a half of the village; there are traces of the ditch in front, and stones and other remains have been dug up from the foundations.
Walkeringham (St. Mary Magdalene)
WALKERINGHAM (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Gainsborough, North-Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 4 miles (N. W. by W.) from Gainsborough; containing 536 inhabitants. It is bounded on the east by the river Trent, and comprises 2861a. 3r. 3p.: the village consists of a long line of detached and irregularly-built dwellings. There is a ferry across the Trent; and the Chesterfield canal passes through the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 11. 4.; net income, £204; patrons and impropriators, the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1802; the glebe comprises 158 acres. The church is a spacious, ancient structure; in the churchyard are the base and part of the shaft of an old cross. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Robert Woodhouse, in the year 1719, bequeathed a rent-charge of £15 for teaching children.
WALKERITH, a hamlet, in the parish and union of Gainsborough, wapentake of Corringham, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 2½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Gainsborough; containing 77 inhabitants.
Walkern (St. Mary)
WALKERN (St. Mary), a parish, in the hundred of Broadwater, union and county of Hertford, 4¾ miles (E. by N.) from Stevenage; containing 718 inhabitants. A fair for cattle is held on November 5th. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20. 1. 10½., and in the gift of King's College, Cambridge: certain impropriate tithes have been commuted for £75. 7., and the incumbent's for £588. 13.; the glebes comprise respectively 100 and 26 acres. The church contains a curious monument of a Knight Templar. There is a place of worship for Independents.
WALKHAMPTON, a parish, in the union of Tavistock, hundred of Roborough, Midland-Roborough and S. divisions of Devon, 4½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Tavistock; containing 717 inhabitants. It comprises 10,501 acres, of which 6602 are common or waste. The Plymouth railway passes through. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 14. 7., and in the gift of Sir R. Lopes, Bart.: the great tithes have been commuted for £124, and the vicarial tithes for £140, with a glebe of 21 acres; there is also a rentcharge of £37. 10. payable to the rector of Bickleigh. The church is situated on the verge of Dartmoor Forest. Lady Modyford, in 1719, gave a school-house, with the rent of certain premises, now producing £161 per annum.
WALKINGHAM-HILL, with Occaney, an extraparochial liberty, in the Upper division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York, 4 miles (N.) from Knaresborough; containing 24 inhabitants. It comprises about 330 acres, divided into two farms; and a rabbit-warren. The tithes have been commuted for £36.
Walkington (All Hallows)
WALKINGTON (All Hallows), a parish, in the union of Beverley, partly in the Hunsley-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, but chiefly in the wapentake of Howdenshire, E. riding of York, 2¾ miles (S. W. by W.) from Beverley; containing 633 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 3552acres, of which the greater portion is arable land; and consists of the two constablewicks or townships of Walkington and Provosts'-Fee; the latter so called as having been anciently the fee of the provost of Beverley. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £24. 13. 4.; net income, £676; patron and incumbent, the Rev. D. Ferguson: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1794. The church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in 1820. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Wm. Sherwood, in 1537, left property now producing £86 per annum, for the poor, and other purposes.
Walkinstead, Surrey.—See Godstone.
WALKINSTEAD, Surrey.—See Godstone.
WALKMILL, a township, in the parish of Warkworth, union of Alnwick, E. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland; containing 5 inhabitants. It is situated on the north-western bank of the Coquet river, two miles from Warkworth.