A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
HODDINGTON, a tything, in the parish of Upton-Gray, union of Basingstoke, hundred of Bermondspit, Basingstoke and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 3½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Odiham; containing 133 inhabitants.
HODNEL, an extra-parochial liberty, in the union of Southam, Southam division of the hundred of Knightlow, S. division of the county of Warwick, 3 miles (S. by E.) from Southam; containing 24 inhabitants, and comprising 496 acres. It is situated on the road between Southam and Banbury. Here was a chapel, dedicated to St. Helen, now in ruins.
Hodnet (St. Peter and St. Paul)
HODNET (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Drayton, Drayton division of the hundred of North Bradford, N. division of Salop, 6 miles (S. W.) from Drayton; containing, with the chapelry of Weston-under-Redcastle, 2185 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Shrewsbury to the Staffordshire potteries, and comprises by measurement 10,700 acres, of which, with the exception of 520 acres waste, two-third parts are arable, and the remainder pasture and wood. The soil is fertile; and the surface is generally flat, with the exception of that part of the parish around Hawkstone Park, which for three or four miles is diversified with hills and dales. Hawkstone is a spacious modern mansion, consisting of a centre and two wings, which latter were added to it by the late Sir Rowland Hill, who also greatly improved the other parts of the building. The centre is ornamented with a noble portico of lofty columns of the Composite order, supporting an enriched entablature and cornice, and opening into a magnificent saloon; the interior contains numerous stately apartments, and an elegant chapel, the ceiling of which is adorned with an emblematical representation of the Reformation. The park abounds with romantic scenery, and the grounds are embellished with various buildings, among which are a tower, and a lofty obelisk crowned with a finely-sculptured statue of Sir Rowland Hill, Knt., first Protestant lord mayor of London. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £26. 0. 10., and in the gift of the family of Macaulay: the tithes have been commuted for £1730, and the glebe contains 20 acres. The church is an ancient structure in the Norman style. There are chapels at Weston and Peplow, and a place of worship for Independents. The benefactions for the poor amount to £117 per annum. Lord Clive, celebrated for his extension of the British empire in India, was born at Styche, in the parish, in 1724; Reginald Heber, D.D., late Bishop of Calcutta, was also born in the parish, in 1783, and was for fifteen years rector, during which period he constantly resided at Hodnet.
HODSOCK, a lordship, in the parish of Blyth, union of Worksop, Hatfield division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 2 miles (S. W.) from Blyth; containing 225 inhabitants. This lordship, which includes the hamlet of Goldthorpe, extends westward from Blyth to the borders of Yorkshire, and comprises 4104a. 3r. 2p. of fertile land: it is intersected by the road from Worksop to Tickhill. Goldthorpe forms the north-west part of the lordship. Hodsock Priory, a beautiful seat standing in a picturesque vale, was formerly called Hodsock Hall, and was defended by a moat, and a large tower gateway, still perfect, and in part covered with ivy: having been partly rebuilt and new fronted in the monastic style, the house took its present name. Hodsock Park contains about 250 acres of land, with a commodious residence, to which is attached a private Roman Catholic chapel.
HODSON, a tything, in the parish of Chisledon, union of Highworth and Swindon, hundred of Kingsbridge, Swindon and N. divisions of the county of Wilts; containing 234 inhabitants.
HOE, a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Launditch, W. division of Norfolk, 2½ miles (N. N. E.) from East Dereham; containing 220 inhabitants, and comprising about 1300 acres. The living is annexed to the vicarage of East Dereham. The church is chiefly in the early English style, with a square tower, and has a handsome font.
HOE-BENHAM, a tything, in the parish of Welford, union of Newbury, hundred of Faircross, county of Berks; containing 337 inhabitants.
HOE, EAST, a tything, in the parish of Soberton, poor-law union of Droxford, hundred of Meon-Stoke, Droxford and N. divisions of the county of Southampton; containing 91 inhabitants.
HOFFE, a township, in the parish of St. Lawrence, Appleby, East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 1¾ mile (S. by W.) from Appleby; containing, with the hamlets of Row and Barwise, 108 inhabitants. Here was formerly a chapel.
HOGHTON, a chapelry, in the parish and hundred of Leyland, union of Chorley, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 5½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Preston; containing 1706 inhabitants. This place is of considerable antiquity. In the reign of William Rufus, the manor was given by Warin Bussel with a daughter in marriage to Hamo Pincerna, after whose death his wife gave it to their second son, "Ricardus, filius Hamonis Pincernæ." The son of Richard Fitz-Hamo was Adam, who, in the reign of Henry II., styled himself Adam de "Hocton," or Adam dominus de "Hocton." From him descended Richard de "Hocton," to whom was granted free warren in Hoghton and Whitenhull, with liberty to inclose a park; and John of Gaunt, in the 9th of Richard II., gave Sir Richard Hoghton license to enlarge his park with seven score acres. Hoghton Tower was erected by Thomas Hoghton in the reign of Elizabeth, from the stone of a quarry contained within the park: this Tower, in its ruins, shows its original strength and grandeur. Rising in isolated pre-eminence above the rocky banks of the Darwen, the situation of the stately pile is extremely picturesque. The western front is formed by three towers, of which the centre is ornamented by battlements, capitals, and indented windows, and the buildings on each side by mouldings, fillets, and balls, with mullion windows: there are an inner and an outer court, and over the entrance-gateway formed in the middle tower, are the family arms carved in stone, with the initials of the founder. The domestic chapel on the north side of the inner court, which continued to be used as a place of worship long after the mansion was abandoned as a residence, and until about forty years ago, is fast falling to decay; and the whole of the interior of this once splendid seat exhibits, like the exterior, the ravages of time. Sir Richard Hoghton entertained James I. within these walls, with princely hospitality, in August, 1617. In the civil war of the 17th century, a garrison being placed here, part of the massive pile was accidentally blown up by gunpowder, and Captain Starky and 200 soldiers were killed in the explosion.
The township comprises 2113a. 1r. 20p., whereof 1596 acres are meadow and pasture, 259 arable, 122 woodland, and the remainder roads and waste. The soil is generally fertile, and the substratum sandstone and coal; the surface is richly diversified with hill and dale, and the lower grounds are watered by a brook that flows into the Darwen. Here is a station of the Blackborn and Preston railway, five miles distant from Blackburn. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150; patron, the Vicar of Leyland. The chapel, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, and now a district church, is a neat edifice in the pointed style, erected by a grant of the Parliamentary Commissioners in 1828. A national school was built in 1838, by Sir Henry Bold Hoghton, who allows £40 per annum towards its support: there is a residence for the teachers. An old school is also aided by Sir Henry, with £10 per annum, and the use of a house.
HOGNASTON, a parish, in the hundred of Wirksworth, S. division of the county of Derby, 5 miles (S. W. by W.) from Wirksworth; containing 272 inhabitants. It is intersected by the road between Wirksworth and Ashbourn, and comprises 1350 acres of land, occupied as dairy-farms. The village is small, and indifferently built, but pleasantly seated on an acclivity. Limestone abounds in the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £55, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield; lessee of the tithes (which have been commuted for £204), George Errington, Esq. The church is an ancient structure with a tower and south porch, within which last is a fine Norman doorway. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists, a neat brick building, erected in 1827. Three small sums derived from land are appropriated to the poor.
Hogshaw (St. John the Baptist)
HOGSHAW (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Winslow, hundred of Ashendon, county of Buckingham, 4 miles (S. W. by S.) from Winslow; containing, with the hamlet of Fulbrook, 50 inhabitants. The church, being desecrated, the inhabitants attend that of Quainton. Here was a commandery of the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem, so early as the reign of Henry II.
Hogsthorpe (St. Mary)
HOGSTHORPE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Spilsby, Marsh division of the hundred of Calceworth, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 7 miles (E. S. E.) from Alford; containing 790 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2971a. 26p.; the surface is generally level, and the soil principally clay. Great numbers of bricks are made; and a coach manufactory is carried on, affording employment to about twenty persons. Fairs are held on May 16th and the last Monday in July, chiefly for pleasure. The village, which is pleasant, is on the north side of a rivulet, and distant about three miles from the sea. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10; net income, £95; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Lincoln: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1804. The church is an old edifice, built partly with the ruins of a former structure, which stood near the sea; it is in the later English style, and has a square tower. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans. Thomas Goodwinne, in 1639, bequeathed 34 acres of land, augmented by subsequent inclosure allotments to 55 acres, and producing annually £90, of which £20 are paid to the minister, with £5 for repairing the church, £35 applied to the apprenticing of children, and £5 distributed among the poor.
Hogston, or Hoggeston (St. Peter and St. Paul)
HOGSTON, or Hoggeston (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Winslow, hundred of Cottesloe, county of Buckingham, 3¾ miles (S. E. by E.) from Winslow; containing 204 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 16. 3.; net income, £280; patrons, the Provost and Fellows of Worcester College, Oxford.
Holbeach (All Saints)
HOLBEACH (All Saints), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the wapentake of Elloe, parts of Holland, county of Lincoln, 12 miles (S.) from Boston, 42 (S. E.) from Lincoln, and 106 (N. by E.) from London; containing 4637 inhabitants. The ancient name of this place was Oldbeche, it having been built near an old beach which the receding of the waters had left; and it is evident, from the different embankments constructed between the Foss-Dyke and the Cross-Keys Washes, that all the land in the vicinity of the town was once covered by the waters of the North Sea. Foundations of walls, and pavements, have been discovered, and several ancient coins, urns, and seals dug up at different periods. The town, which is situated on the road from Newark to Norwich, and in a low marshy district, is indifferently built. In 1834, an act was obtained for improving and draining some adjoining lands. There is a considerable traffic for the supply of the neighbourhood, and the sale of various articles of merchandise and other commodities, which are landed at Foss-Dyke, distant about five miles. The market is on Thursday; and fairs are held on May 17th and September 17th, chiefly for pleasure. The powers of the county debt-court of Holbeach, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Holbeach. The parish comprises by measurement 23,000 acres; the population is chiefly employed in agriculture, and the grazing of cattle, for which there are very extensive pastures.
The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £20. 5. 10.; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Lincoln: the great tithes have been commuted for £4994. 10., and the vicarial for £807. 10.; the glebe comprises 7a. 1r. The church is an elegant and spacious structure, in the decorated English style, with a square embattled tower surmounted by a lofty and gracefully-proportioned spire; in the chancel are some interesting monuments, and an altar-piece representing Our Saviour instituting the Last Supper. In the north aisle is an altar-tomb with a recumbent figure, supposed to have been erected to the memory of Sir Humphrey Littlebury, who fell in the wars of the roses. In that part of the parish called the Fen, now well drained, a chapel has been erected, and dedicated to St. John, which is a neat structure, in the early English style, containing 280 sittings; the bishop of the diocese contributed £850 towards its erection and endowment, and presented the communion-plate. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. The free school was founded in 1669, by George Farmer, Esq., who endowed it with land which, with subsequent benefactions, produces an income of £200; in 1807, a new schoolroom was built at an expense of £500, raised by subscription. There is also a national school; and the sum of £21, arising from various bequests, is annually distributed among the poor. The union of Holbeach comprises 11 parishes and places, and contains a population of 16,997. An hospital for a warden and fifteen poor persons was founded near the church, about 1351, by Sir John de Kirketon, Knt.; but it was suppressed at the Reformation. The town is celebrated as having been the residence of several eminent literary characters, including Stukeley, the antiquary, and Mrs. Centlivre, the dramatist, who were natives of this place; Henry Rands, otherwise Holbeach, appointed to the bishopric of Lincoln in 1547, and one of the compilers of the Liturgy; and Samuel Frotheringham, a member of the Society of Friends, who died here in 1745.
HOLBECK, an extra-parochial liberty, in the union of Horncastle, hundred of Hill, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 4½ miles (N. E. by E.) from the town of Horncastle; containing 9 inhabitants.
HOLBECK, a township, in the parish of Cuckney, union of Worksop, Hatfield division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 6¾ miles (S. W.) from Worksop; containing 267 inhabitants, and comprising 1718 acres.
HOLBECK, a chapelry, in the parish of St. Peter, borough of Leeds, locally in the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 1½ mile (S. S. W.) from Leeds; containing 13,346 inhabitants. This place, which derives its name from the rivulet whereon it is situated, comprises about 553 acres, and forms one of the most populous suburbs of the borough of Leeds, to which the ancient village has been extended by numerous additional buildings. The manor belonged to the priory of the Holy Trinity at York, and, after the Dissolution, passed to the Darcy and Ingram families; it is now the property of Hugo M. Ingram, Esq. The village is on the south side of the river Aire. It was formerly in repute for its spa, the water of which resembles that of Harrogate, though of inferior strength; but from the sinking of numerous wells for the supply of works in the vicinity, the water, which previously rose to the surface, is only to be obtained by pumping from a considerable depth: it is much esteemed for culinary uses, and is carried through the streets of Leeds for sale. The inhabitants are extensively employed in the spinning of flax and thread, for which there are several mills; that lately erected by Messrs. Marshall and Co., consisting of one spacious room lighted by skylights, occupies an area of nearly two acres. There are also extensive ironworks, works for the manufacture of steam-engines and machinery of all kinds, and various other establishments connected with the important manufactures of the district. The old chapel, dedicated to St. Catherine, which is noticed in ancient documents as existing in the year 809, was rebuilt on the same site about the commencement of the last century; but having become inadequate to the greatly increased population, it was taken down in 1836, and the materials were sold, by an order of the archbishop's court, for the fencing and improvement of the churchyard. The present church, dedicated to St. Matthew, stands on a piece of common land added to the old burial-ground: it was built at an expense of £3786, by the Parliamentary Commissioners, and consecrated in 1832; and is a handsome structure in the early English style, containing 1200 sittings. The incumbency is a perpetual curacy; net income, £300, with a glebe-house; patron, the Vicar of Leeds. A district named Little Holbeck was formed and endowed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, in 1847, under the act 6th and 7th of Victoria, cap. 37. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and other denominations.
Holbeton (All Saints)
HOLBETON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Plympton St. Mary, hundred of Ermington, Ermington and Plympton, and S. divisions of Devon, 4 miles (W. S. W.) from Modbury; containing 1120 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4000 acres, of which 155 are common or waste land; it is bounded by the river Erme and Bigbury bay, and abounds with beautiful scenery. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £24. 1. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown; impropriators, John Crocker Bulteel, Esq., and others. The great tithes have been commuted for £494. 5., and the vicarial for £340. In addition to the parochial church, there was formerly a chapel, dedicated to St. Leonard.
HOLBROOK, a chapelry, in the parish of Duffield, union of Belper, hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 2½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Belper; containing 880 inhabitants. The chapelry comprises 852a. 1r. 29p., whereof 540 acres are meadow land, 280 plough-land, and 30 acres woodland; it stands elevated, and embraces beautiful views. About three-fourths of the inhabitants are employed in making silk and cotton hosiery, and gloves. The Midland railway, and the river Derwent, pass to the west, and the road from Derby to Alfreton on the east, of the village. Holbrook Hall is a fine old mansion, surrounded with 300 acres of land, and is the property of William Evans, Esq., M.P. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Mr. Evans. The chapel was built in 1761, by the Rev. S. Bradshaw, and endowed by him with £30 per annum; in 1841 it was entirely rebuilt, on a larger scale, and in the Grecian style, at the sole expense of the patron, who added £20 per annum to the endowment, which has been increased with £6. 10. from Queen Anne's Bounty: the edifice now contains 408 sittings, of which 250 are free. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £45. 10., and the vicarial for £6. 5. Day, Sunday, and infant schools have been built, and are supported, by the patron; and the Independents and Wesleyans have a place of worship. A spring of good water has been brought from a distance to the village, at the expense of Mr. Evans.
Holbrook (All Saints)
HOLBROOK (All Saints), a parish, in the incorporation and hundred of Samford, E. division of Suffolk, 6 miles (S. by E.) from Ipswich; containing 747 inhabitants. It is bounded on the east by the river Stour, which at flood-tide is two miles in breadth at this place; the estimated number of acres is above 2200. The soil is a sandy loam; the surface rises gradually from the bank of the river to an elevation of 100 feet, and extends in a level, through which flows a stream sufficient to turn a mill. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 11. 3.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. J. B. Wilkinson: the tithes have been commuted for £488, and the glebe comprises 11 acres. The church contains a monument to Judge Clinch and his daughter. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.