A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
DILLIKER, a township, in the parish and union of Kendal, Lonsdale ward, county of Westmorland, 8½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Kendal; containing 85 inhabitants. It is bounded on the east by the Lune. At Low Ghill in the township, is a station on the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, for the traffic of Sedbergh and Dent, and of the farms which stud that portion of the beautiful vale of Lune. Here an embankment occurs, 90 feet high, with a considerable mountain stream below it, which passes under the line by means of a tunnel, bored to the length of 100 yards through the solid rock: the line then takes a western curve, skirting Dilliker Fell at an elevation of 200 feet above the river Lune, and proceeds by the Grayrigg Fells to Low Borrow-bridge.
DILLINGTON, a hamlet, in the parish of East Dereham, union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Launditch, W. division of Norfolk, 2¼ miles (N. N. W.) from East Dereham; containing 40 inhabitants. The house of industry for the hundred, a large edifice of red brick, surrounding a quadrangle, with a lofty square tower at each corner, is situated in the hamlet.
DILSTON, a township, in the parish of Corbridge, union of Hexham, E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Hexham; containing 200 inhabitants. Its name, a corruption of Devilstone, is derived from its situation on a rivulet called Devil Water, which, after flowing through a deep and gloomy dell, falls into the Tyne on the northern boundary of the parish. Bede says that Oswald, armed with faith in Christ, killed Ceadwall, the British tyrant, at this place, which he calls Devilesbourne. The Newcastle and Carlisle railway passes through the township. There are some remains of the ancient mansionhouse of the Ratcliffes, earls of Derwentwater, which shared the fate of their other estates, on the attainder of the last earl, who was beheaded for high treason in 1716. An agent for Greenwich Hospital, to which the forfeited estates of the earl were granted, resides here, in a house and offices built for the purpose. The old family chapel, in which many members of the family, including the last earl, are interred, is kept in repair as a mark of respect for the unfortunate family.
DILTON, a chapelry, in the parish and hundred of Westbury, union of Westbury and Whorwelsdown, Westbury and S. divisions, and Trowbridge and Bradford subdivisions, of Wilts, 2¼ miles (S. S. W.) from Westbury; containing 1848 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a fair for cattle, horses, and cheese, on September 24th.
DILWORTH, a township, in the chapelry of Longridge, parish of Ribchester, union of Preston, Lower division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 7 miles (N. E.) from Preston; containing 845 inhabitants. In the reign of Edward I., the abbot of Cockersand included "Dylleword" among those places for which he assumed, by charter from King John, exemption from paying taxes; and a claim is preserved, but bearing no date, for the freedom of this place from fines, amercements, and tolls in all markets and fairs. According to an inquest taken on the death of the last of the Lacys, it is called "Dileworill," and the basis of the township was one carucate of land. The township is situated on the brow of Longridge Fell, and comprises 1226a. 1r. 18p. of land: on Tootle Height are valuable stone-quarries, the material from which is called Longridge stone. There is also an extensive tannery. Holly Cottage is the residence of Richard Dixon, Esq. The tithes have been commuted for £82 payable to the Bishop of Chester, and £14 to the vicar of the parish. Dilworth lies on a Roman road.—See Longridge.
Dilwyn (St. Mary)
DILWYN (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Weobley, hundred of Stretford, county of Hereford, 2 miles (N. E. by N.) from Weobley; comprising the townships of Church-Dilwyn, Fawley, Haven-with-the-Headland, Luntley, Newton with Hurst, and Sollars-Dilwyn; and containing 1060 inhabitants, of whom 373 are in Church-Dilwyn. Here is thought to have been a monastic establishment, to which were annexed certain lands, called College lands, previously belonging to the priory of Wormsley. The parish comprises by admeasurement 6067 acres, of which 128 are wood, and the rest nearly equally divided between arable and pasture; the surface is diversified with hills, but of no great elevation; the soil is partly clay and partly gravel. The low grounds are watered by two or three small brooks that rise in the parish, which is intersected by the road from Leominster to Weobley. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 2. 6.; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Hereford. The great tithes have been commuted for £696, and the vicarial for £440; the glebe comprises 41 acres. There was a chapel formerly at Little Dilwyn. A school is endowed with a house and garden, given by Lacon Lambe, Esq., and with nine acres of land by Thomas Phillips, Esq.
Dimmer, Somerset.—See Castle-Cary.
DIMMER, Somerset.—See Castle-Cary.
DINCHOPE, a township, in the chapelry of Halford, parish of Sibdon-Carwood, union of Ludlow, hundred of Munslow, S. division of Salop, 7¾ miles (N. W. by N.) from the town of Ludlow; containing 62 inhabitants.
Dinder (St. Michael)
DINDER (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Wells, hundred of Wells-Forum, E. division of Somerset, 2 miles (E. S. E.) from Wells; containing 248 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from London to Bridgwater, and comprises 1071a. 1r. 37p.: limestone is quarried for building, and for burning into lime. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £2. 10. 7½.; patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The tithes have been commuted for £190; the glebe consists of 21 acres. The church is a neat structure, with an ancient pulpit of stone. A school is endowed with £8 per annum.
Dinedor (St. Andrew)
DINEDOR (St. Andrew), a parish, in the hundred of Webtree, union and county of Hereford, 4 miles (S. E. by S.) from Hereford; containing 289 inhabitants. It is situated on the banks of the river Wye, and comprises 1519a. 3r. 13p., the larger portion under tillage. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 9. 7.; net income, £315; patrons, the Provost and Fellows of Worcester College, Oxford. Part of the tithe belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Hereford and the Governors of Guy's Hospital: the glebe contains 61 acres, with a glebe-house. There is a Roman encampment on Dinedor Hill, which is also called Oster Hill, from Ostorius Scapula, the Roman prætor, who commanded here. Matthias Turner, the friend of Grotius, is buried in the chancel of the church.
Dingestow (St. Mary)
DINGESTOW (St. Mary), a parish, in the division and hundred of Raglan, union and county of Monmouth, 4½ miles (W. S. W.) from Monmouth; containing 190 inhabitants. The road from Monmouth to Abergavenny runs through this parish, which is bounded on the east by the river Trothey, and comprises by computation 1930 acres, whereof 883 are arable, 957 meadow and pasture, 70 woodland, and 20 road and water. The surface is diversified with hills, commanding interesting views of the surrounding country; and the soil is a stiff clay. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Tregare annexed, valued in the king's books at £4. 10.; net income, £244; patrons and appropriators, the Bishop, Archdeacon, and Chapter, of Llandaff. The glebe contains 24 acres, with a small glebe-house; the great tithes have been commuted for £87. 18. 6., and the vicarial for £106. The church is an ancient structure. There was formerly a castle, of which the site and moat are still discernible.
Dingley (All Saints)
DINGLEY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Market-Harborough, hundred of Corby, N. division of the county of Northampton, 2½ miles (E. by N.) from Harborough, on the road to Oundle; containing 144 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the river Welland, by which it is bounded on the north-west, and comprises 1317a. 28p., whereof about three-fourths are fine grazing-land; the wood, including Dingley Park and garden, covers about 155 acres. The surface is beautifully diversified with hill and dale. The Hall occupies the site of a commandery of the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem, founded in the reign of Stephen, and of which, at the Dissolution, the revenue was estimated at £108. 13. 5. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 9. 4½., and in the gift of H. H. H. Hungerford, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £342, and the glebe comprises 55 acres, with a glebehouse. Near the site of the commandery, an ancient bead and a coin of Cunobeline have been found.
DINHAM, an ancient parish, in the union and division of Chepstow, hundred of Caldicot, county of Monmouth, 5 miles (W. by S.) from Chepstow; containing 17 inhabitants. This place, now considered only a hamlet, comprises about 671 acres; the surface is for the greater part elevated, and the high grounds present some fine prospects. It lies close to the road between Monmouth and the new passage-ferry across the Severn. The living is a lay rectory, belonging to the Bishop, Archdeacon, and Chapter, of Llandaff, whose tithes have been commuted for £83. There is no trace of the church, but some slight remains exist of a castle which formerly stood here.
DINKLEY, a township, in the parish, union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 6¼ miles (N.) from Blackburn; containing 183 inhabitants. This is a small township which, in the reign of Edward IV., was possessed by the Morleys; it has been held since that time by various families, among whom were the Talbots, Warrens, and Bulkeleys. From the last it passed into the family of Fleming-Leycester. A Roman altar which existed in the township, was removed to Stonyhurst.
DINMORE, an extra-parochial liberty, in the hundred of Grimsworth, county of Hereford, 8 miles (N. by W.) from Hereford; containing 18 inhabitants, and comprising 630 acres. A chapel has been reopened for divine service, at the expense of the proprietor, the Rev. Fleming St. John. On Dinmore Hill was a commandery of the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem, founded by a brother of the order, in the reign of Henry II.
DINMORE, an extra-parochial liberty, locally in the parish of Clungunford, union of Clun, hundred of Purslow, S. division of the county of Salop; containing 14 inhabitants.
DINNINGTON, a parish, in the union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 6½ miles (N. by W.) from Newcastle; containing 761 inhabitants. This place formed part of the parish of Ponteland until 1834, when by act of parliament it became distinct. It comprises the townships of Dinnington, Mason, Brenkley; Horton-Grange, Woolsington, the eastern moiety of Prestwick, and the farm of Sunnyside; and contains 5700 acres, exclusively of Prestwick Carr, which covers 600 acres in this parish, and 500 in that of Ponteland. About two-thirds of the land are arable, and of a strong soil, adapted to the growth of wheat, and the surface is generally level. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of Matthew Bell, Esq., with a net income of £200, and a good parsonage-house and garden, finely situated on the eastern extremity of Prestwick Carr, and about a quarter of a mile from the village of Dinnington. In 1853, on the expiration of a lease, the benefice will be augmented with the rectorial tithes, which have been conveyed to the vicar by the Warden and Fellows of Merton College, Oxford, the appropriators. The church, erected in 1834, at the cost of £1000, on a site presented by Mr. Bell, is a very neat edifice, with a lofty castellated tower and lancet windows, and contains 300 sittings, of which 150 are free. A few years since, foundations and fragments of an ancient building, supposed to have been a chapel, were discovered.
DINNINGTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Seavington St. Michael, union of Chard, hundred of South Petherton, W. division of Somerset, 4 miles (N. W. by W.) from Crewkerne; containing 231 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to St. Nicholas.
Dinnington (St. Nicholas)
DINNINGTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Worksop, S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 7 miles (N. W.) from Worksop; containing 279 inhabitants. A church existed here in the 12th century, founded by the Warrens, who granted it, with other churches in Yorkshire, to the distant monastery of Lewes, in Sussex, the monks of which received a small pension out of the church of Dinnington, till the Dissolution. The parish comprises by computation 1540 acres of land. Good limestone is quarried. The village is situated to the north of the road between Worksop and Sheffield, and in its vicinity is Dinnington Hall. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4, and in the patronage of the Crown, with a net income of £103: certain tithes were commuted for land and a money payment, under an act of inclosure, in 1778, and there is also a commutation under the recent tithe act for a rent-charge of £142; the glebe contains 82 acres, with a glebe-house. The church was rebuilt in 1770. There is a place of worship for Methodists.
Dinsdale, Low (St. John)
DINSDALE, LOW (St. John), a parish, in the union of Darlington, S. W. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 5 miles (S. E. by E.) from Darlington; containing 169 inhabitants. This parish, which is separated by the river Tees from the county of York, comprises by measurement 1082 acres, whereof 643 are arable, 265 pasture and meadow, and 40 woodland: the soil in the higher lands is a strong clay; near the Tees it is rich and fertile. The river here runs over a bed of red sand, which is sometimes raised for building purposes. The Stockton and Darlington railway passes through a remote part of the parish, where is a station. A sulphureous well was discovered in 1789, at the depth of seventy-two feet from the surface; it received the name of Dinsdale Spa, and has become a place of resort during the summer season. The spa is surrounded by a beautiful plantation, which westward extends nearly a mile along the margin of the Tees, intersected with shady walks; and above the plantation, and immediately behind the spa, is the Dinsdale hotel. About two miles up the Tees are the remains of an old bath, the water of which is of a sulphureous quality; below the village is a productive salmon-fishery. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 11. 5½., and in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Durham: the tithes have been commuted for £194, and there are 70 acres of land in the parish of Hurworth, and 2 in Middleton, belonging to the living, and also a glebe-house. Francis Place, the painter, was born here; he died at York in 1728.
DINSDALE, OVER, a township, in the parish of Sockburn, union of Darlington, wapentake of Allertonshire, N. riding of York, 5 miles (S. E. by E.) from Darlington; containing 79 inhabitants. It comprises 810 acres, and is situated within a circuitous reach of the Tees, opposite to Low Dinsdale, and connected therewith by a wooden bridge, erected in 1839, by the Rev. W. S. Temple, proprietor of the township. A similar structure, about a mile lower down the river, on the ancient line of road from Northallerton to Sadberge, was swept away in the great flood of 1770.
DINTING, a township, in the parish and union of Glossop, hundred of High Peak, N. division of the county of Derby, 1 mile (W.) from Glossop; containing 387 inhabitants. It comprises 586 acres; and has a small scattered village of the same name, on a fine eminence which commands a rich view of the vale here and the surrounding district. The principal part of the inhabitants are at Dinting-Vale, a village that connects itself with Green-Vale at the Junction inn. A viaduct of the Sheffield and Manchester railway, consisting of sixteen arches, of which five are of wood and stone, and eleven of brick and stone, crosses the valley, and presents a handsome appearance in the scenery: the foundation stone was laid by William Sidebottom, Esq., of Etherow House, and the erection cost £42,000. The Dinting station is at a short distance from the viaduct, and joins the branch line to Glossop. In the vale are a paper manufactory and extensive calico print-works. A school established about nine years since by Messrs. Edmund Potter and Company, proprietors of the print-works, is attended by about sixty children.
Dinton (St. Peter and St. Paul)
DINTON (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union, and chiefly in the hundred, of Aylesbury, and partly in the hundred of Desborough, county of Buckingham, 4½ miles (W. S. W.) from Aylesbury; comprising the hamlets of Aston-Mollins, Ford, Upton, and Waldridge, and the liberty of Moreton; and containing 818 inhabitants. The ancient mansion of Dinton Hall was probably erected by William de Wareham, Archbishop of Canterbury, his name, and his arms quartered with those of the see of Canterbury, frequently occurring in the old painted-glass windows. It was afterwards the seat of Sir Simon Mayne, one of the regicides of Charles I., from whose family it passed in 1727 to the Vanhattems, who came to England with William, at the Revolution; from these latter the estate was conveyed, by marriage with their heiress, to the family of Goodall. The Vanhattems brought over with them from Holland to this country a small but valuable collection of pictures, chiefly by the first masters of the Dutch school; now in the possession of the Goodalls. The parish comprises 4000 acres, about three-fifths of which are arable, and the rest pasture: the soil is in some parts a deep rich loam, and in others gravel alternated with clay; the substrata are principally limestone and ironstone, and various fossils are found, chiefly of the Cardium and Buccinum genera. The surface is pleasingly undulated, and the lower grounds are watered by the river Tame. The living is a vicarage, endowed with a considerable portion of the great tithes, valued in the king's books at £17. 9. 7., and in the patronage of the Crown, with a net income of £529: the great tithes of the hamlet of Upton belong to G. S. Harcourt, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents, under an inclosure act, in 1802. The church, which has a small part in the Norman style of architecture, has been enlarged.
Dinton (St. Mary)
DINTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Wilton, hundred of Warminster, though locally in the hundred of Dunworth, Hindon and S. divisions of Wilts, 9 miles (W.) from Salisbury; containing 565 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 4087 acres, of which about 1754 are arable, 1693 pasture and down, and 589 woodland. The living is a vicarage, with that of Teffont Magna annexed, valued in the king's books at £6; patrons and impropriators, the President and Fellows of Magdalen College, Oxford. The great tithes have been commuted for £390, and the vicarial for £359. 10.; a rent-charge of £80. 10. is paid to the Dean and Canons of Windsor, who also have a glebe of two acres, and the vicarial glebe contains 49 acres. The church has a beautifully decorated chancel and a good Norman font. There is a place of worship for dissenters. The celebrated lawyer, statesman, and historian, Edward Hyde, Earl of Clarendon, was born here in the year 1608.
DIPPENHALL, a tything, in the parish and hundred of Crondall, union of Hartley-Wintney, Odiham and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 1¼ mile (W.) from Farnham; with 330 inhabitants.
Diptford (St. Mary)
DIPTFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Totnes, hundred of Stanborough, Stanborough and Coleridge, and S. divisions of Devon, 5¾ miles (W. S. W.) from Totnes; containing 755 inhabitants. It is partly bounded by the river Avon, is situated about a mile from the Exeter and Plymouth road, and comprises 4144a. 3r. 15p., of which 127 acres are common or waste. Stone for the repair of roads, and slate for roofing houses, are quarried. A fair is held in June. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £29. 2. 1., and in the patronage of the Rev. W. C. Johnson: the tithes have been commuted for £559. 5., and the glebe comprises 2 acres, with an excellent glebe-house. A parochial school is supported principally by the rector; and the proceeds of some charity estates, amounting to about £100, are applied to the repairs of the church and other purposes.