A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Ashingdon (St. Andrew)
ASHINGDON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union and hundred of Rochford, S. division of Essex, 2¼ miles (N. by W.) from Rochford; containing 119 inhabitants. This place is thought by the best writers to have been the scene of the battle of Assandune, in which Canute the Dane, after a sanguinary contest, vanquished the Saxons under Edmund Ironside. The parish comprises 1165a. 1r. 11p. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 13. 4., and in the gift of the Nottidge family: the tithes have been commuted for £285, and there are 20 acres of glebe.
ASHINGTON, with Sheepwash, a township, in the parish of Bothal, union of Morpeth, E. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 4½ miles (E. by N.) from Morpeth; containing 76 inhabitants. The persons who are first named in the records as connected with the property here, are the Morwicks, Lumleys, and Fitzhughs; the family of Essendon (the modern Ashington) are mentioned as lords of the manor at the close of the 13th century, and the most important landowners since that period have been the families of Coventre and Fenwick, from whom the place has descended to the Duke of Portland. The township comprises 583 acres of land, of which 444 are tillage, 112 grass, and 27 wood; the grounds are very beautiful in some places by the side of the river Wansbeck, which is navigable for keels and small boats as far as Sheepwash, where it is crossed by a bridge. The tithes have been commuted for £109. 6.—See Sheepwash.
Ashington (St. Vincent)
ASHINGTON (St. Vincent), a parish, in the union of Yeovil, hundred of Stone, W. division of Somerset, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from Ilchester; comprising by computation 560 acres, and containing 71 inhabitants. The parish is finely wooded and fertile, the land rising gently from the river Yeo, which bounds it on the east and north; and looking over a rich and extensive vale, the view is terminated at unequal distances by a bold range of hills from the south-east to the north-west. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 3. 4., and in the patronage of the family of Williams: the tithes have been commuted for £125, and there are 32 acres of glebe, with a house. The church is a small neat structure, having a turret with two bells; at the eastern end, on the outside, is a small niche with three human figures, which admit a conjecture that they refer to the history of St. Vincent, who was burnt alive at Valentia, in Spain, in the year 304.
Ashington cum Buncton (St. Peter and St. Paul)
ASHINGTON cum Buncton (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Thakeham, hundred of West Grinstead, rape of Bramber, W. division of Sussex, 5 miles (N. W.) from Steyning, and on the road from London to Worthing; containing 282 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 5.; net income, £189; patron, G. Wyndham, Esq. The church is in the later English style, and has some fragments of stained glass in its windows. At Buncton is a chapel of ease, with remains of Norman arches on the outside of the chancel.
Ashley cum Silverley (St. Mary)
ASHLEY cum Silverley (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Newmarket, hundred of Cheveley, county of Cambridge, 3¼ miles (E. by S.) from Newmarket; containing 417 inhabitants. These two places, which are now consolidated, comprise 2143a. 3r. 25p. At Silverley are only a farmhouse and two cottages, with the tower of the ruined church; at Ashley are the ruins of an old church situated in the burial-ground. The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Silverley annexed, valued in the king's books at £8; patron, the Marquess of Bute; net income, £150, arising out of 272 acres of land allotted in lieu of tithes on the inclosure. The church is a small plain edifice.
ASHLEY, a township, in the parish of Bowdon, union of Altrincham, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of Cheshire, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from Knutsford; containing 377 inhabitants. It comprises 2072 acres, of a clayey and sandy soil. Ashley Hall, the ancient manorial mansion, which is approached by a fine avenue of stately walnut-trees, is remarkable for containing eleven original portraits of gentlemen of this county, ancestors of the Grosvenors, Cholmondeleys, and other families, who formed a club during the progress of the Pretender through the north, in 1715, when the expediency of joining his standard was debated, and the casting vote against the measure was given by Thomas Asheton, the owner of the mansion. Arden House, with 140 acres of land adjacent, is the property of John Orrell, Esq. The tithes have been commuted for £197 payable to the Bishop of Chester, and £8 to the vicar.
Ashley (St. Mary)
ASHLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Market-Harborough, hundred of Corby, N. division of the county of Northampton, 5 miles (W. by S.) from Rockingham; containing 323 inhabitants. On the north the parish is bounded by the river Welland, which separates it from Leicestershire; it consists of 1182a. 2r. 20p. of a rich and fertile soil. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17; net income, £320; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Richard Farrer. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment, under an inclosure act, in 1806.
Ashley (St. Mary)
ASHLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Stockbridge, hundred of King's Sombourn, Winchester and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 3½ miles (S. S. E.) from Stockbridge; containing 102 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1857 acres, of which 1270 are arable, 400 wood, and 187 pasture, waste, &c.; the soil rests chiefly on chalk. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 16. 3.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. James Hannay: the tithes have been commuted for £350, and the glebe comprises about 40 acres. The church is an ancient and curious structure, in the early English style. There are vestiges of several Roman camps, and a circular intrenchment of considerable dimensions, supposed to be British, or Danish.
ASHLEY, a tything, in the parish of Milton, union of Lymington, hundred of Christchurch, Lymington and S. divisions of Hants; containing 552 inhabitants. It is situated to the east of the village of Milton, and on the road from Lymington to Christchurch.
Ashley (St. John the Baptist)
ASHLEY (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Market-Drayton, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, 6 miles (N. N. E.) from Market-Drayton; containing 853 inhabitants. It comprises 2800a. 3r. 32p. of fertile land. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 2. 8½., and in the patronage of Thomas Kinnersley and H. C. Meynell, Esqs.: the tithes have been commuted for £370, and the glebe comprises 40 acres. The church is a handsome structure in the early English style, and contains splendid monuments and effigies of the six Lords Gerard, the last of whom died in 1807; also an elegant monument by Chantrey to Thomas Kinnersley, Esq., father of the present patron. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Roman Catholics.
Ashley (St. James)
ASHLEY (St. James), a parish, in the union of Tetbury, hundred of Malmesbury, Malmesbury and Kingswood, and N. divisions of Wilts, 5 miles (N. by W.) from Malmesbury; containing 96 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 16. 5½., and in the patronage of the Duchy of Lancaster: the tithes have been commuted for £210, and there are 34 acres of glebe.
ASHLEY-GREEN, a hamlet, in the parish of Chesham, union of Amersham, hundred of Burnham, county of Buckingham; containing 536 inhabitants.
ASHLEY-HAY, a township, in the union of Belper, parish of Wirksworth, hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 1¾ mile (S.) from Wirksworth; containing 272 inhabitants. The road from Wirksworth to Derby passes here.
Ashley Lodge.—See Godshill-Wood.
ASHLEY LODGE.—See Godshill-Wood.
ASHLEY, NORTH, a tything, in the parish, union, and hundred of Ringwood, Ringwood and S. divisions of Hants; containing 237 inhabitants.
Ashling, East and West
ASHLING, EAST and WEST, tythings, in the parish of Funtington, union of Westbourne, hundred of Bosham, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex; containing, respectively, 310 and 455 inhabitants.
Ashmanhaugh (St. Swithin)
ASHMANHAUGH (St. Swithin), a parish, in the union of Tunstead and Happing, hundred of Tunstead, E. division of Norfolk, 2 miles (E. by N.) from Coltishall; containing 180 inhabitants. It comprises 665a. 2r. 23p., of which 571 acres are arable, 29 pasture and meadow, and 37 woodland. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the family of Preston; net income, £42; appropriator, the Bishop of Norwich, whose tithes have been commuted for £145, and who has a glebe of 5½ acres. The church, which is chiefly in the early style, was thoroughly repaired and new-pewed, and the tower rebuilt in 1840.
Ashmansworth (St. James)
ASHMANSWORTH (St. James), a parish, in the union of Kingsclere, hundred of Evingar, Kingsclere and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 7 miles (S. S. W.) from Newbury; comprising 1798 acres by measurement, and containing 220 inhabitants. The soil is strong clay mixed with flint stones, and rests on chalk, the district being a portion of the high range of chalk hills which form the northern boundary of the South Downs. The living is annexed to the rectory of East Woodhay: the tithes have been commuted for £371, and the glebe comprises 26 acres.
Ashmore (St. Nicholas)
ASHMORE (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Shaftesbury, hundred of Cranborne, Shaston division of Dorset, 5 miles (S. E.) from Shaftesbury; containing 242 inhabitants. It comprises 2342 acres, of which 643 are common or waste; the soil is heavy and flinty, and the ground elevated, rising 720 feet above the level of the sea. The living, which formerly belonged to the abbey of Tewkesbury, is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 19. 9½.; net income, £389; patron, the Rev. C. Chisholme. The glebe consists of about 30 acres. The church, erected in 1433, is a plain edifice of stone and flint.
Asholt, county of Somerset.—See Aisholt.
ASHOLT, county of Somerset.—See Aisholt.
ASHORN, a township, in the parish of NewboldPacey, union of Stratford-on-Avon, Warwick division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of the county of Warwick, 6½ miles (N. N. W.) from Kington; containing 274 inhabitants.
Ashover (All Saints)
ASHOVER (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Chesterfield, partly in the hundred of Wirksworth, but chiefly in that of Scarsdale, N. division of the county of Derby, 7 miles (S. S. W.) from Chesterfield; containing, with the chapelry of Dethwick-Lea, and the hamlet of Holloway, 3482 inhabitants. This place, which was formerly a market-town, and, according to Domesday book, had a church at the time of the Conquest, occupies a pleasant site near the rivers Amber and Milntown, and within three miles of the Midland railway. The parish comprises 9700a. 2r. 37p., of which 62 acres are waste; the soil is various, and the lands are in good cultivation. Coal, ironstone, millstone, gritstone, and lead-ore are found; and the Gregory leadmine here, 300 yards deep, is said to have once been the richest in the kingdom, though its present produce is inconsiderable. The manufacture of stockings is carried on to a small extent, and the working of tambour lace affords employment to the greater part of the female population. Fairs for cattle and sheep are held on the 25th of April and the 15th of October. Ashover is in the honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster: constables and other officers are appointed at the court leet of the lord of the manor. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £24. 3. 1½.; net income, £481; patron, the Rev. Joseph Nodder. The tithes were commuted for land, under an inclosure act, in 1776; the glebe comprises 150 acres. The church is a spacious edifice, built in 1419, with a very handsome spire, and contains a Norman font of curious design, and several monuments to the family of Babington. The chapel at Dethwick-Lea forms a distinct incumbency. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists; and a school endowed with £23 per annum.
Ashow (St. Mary)
ASHOW (St. Mary), a parish, in the Kenilworth division of the hundred of Knightlow, union, and S. division of the county, of Warwick, 2½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Kenilworth; containing 172 inhabitants. The parish contains by measurement 1000 acres, of which about 800 are arable and pasture, and 200 woodland; the soil is chiefly red sand and clay. The lands are intersected by the river Avon. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 2. 1., and in the patronage of Lord Leigh: the tithes have been commuted for £216. 17., and the glebe consists of about 12 acres.
Ashperton (St. Bartholomew)
ASHPERTON (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Ledbury, hundred of Radlow, county of Hereford, 5¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from Ledbury; containing 604 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1741 acres; and is intersected by the road from Leominster to Ledbury, and the new canal from Ledbury to Hereford. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Stretton-Grandsome: the tithes have been commuted for £350. 15.; and there is a quarter of an acre of glebe, on which a school-house for boys has been built. The parliamentary army was stationed at a place in the parish, still called Cromwell's Walls.
Ashprington (St. David)
ASHPRINGTON (St. David), a parish, in the union of Totnes, hundred of Coleridge, Stanborough and Coleridge, and S. divisions of Devon, 3 miles (S. E.) from Totnes; containing 588 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises about 2380 acres, is intersected by the old road to Dartmouth, and washed by the Hareburne and the Dart, which latter river brings up colliers and coasters. Ochre and iron are frequently met with; and slate, dunstone, and limestone abound. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £29. 1. 8.; net income, £520; patron, the Rev. G. T. Carwithen. The glebe consists of 25 acres.
Ashreigney, or Ring's Ash (St. James)
ASHREIGNEY, or Ring's Ash (St. James), a parish, in the union of Torrington, hundred of North Tawton, South Molton and N. divisions of Devon, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Chulmleigh; containing 1088 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4800 acres, of which 410 are common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £24, and in the patronage of the Rev. J. T. Johnson: the tithes have been commuted for £450, and there are 70 acres of glebe. A national school is endowed with £10 per annum.
Ashtead (St. Giles)
ASHTEAD (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Epsom, Second division of the hundred of Copthorne, W. division of Surrey, 2 miles (S. W. by S.) from Epsom; containing 618 inhabitants. It comprises 2516a. 25p., of which 511 acres are common or waste; and is pleasantly situated on the road from London, by Dorking, to Bognor and Worthing. A small fair is held on the 4th of May. Ashtead Park is a fine structure of white brick, and is said to have cost nearly £100,000; it is surrounded by a demesne of 140 acres: here is preserved a very valuable collection of pictures. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 15. 5., and in the patronage of the Hon. Fulk Greville Howard and Hon. Mrs. Howard: the tithes have been commuted for £549. 12. 6., and there are 12½ acres of glebe. The church is a neat building, beautifully situated in Ashtead Park. An hospital for six poor widows was founded by Lady Diana Fielding, and endowed with property producing £32. 7. per annum. Here is a mineral spring, the water of which is similar to that of the Epsom wells. A Roman encampment may be traced round what is now the churchyard and part of Ashtead Park; and the great Roman road by Noviomagus (now Woodcote Park) passes along the south side of the parish. Sir Robert Howard, the poet, resided here in the time of Charles II., by whom, it is said, he was often visited.
ASHTED, a district, in the parish and union of Aston, Birmingham division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick. This place, which adjoins the town of Birmingham on the north-east, and now forms a portion of that borough, consists of good streets of well-built houses, and some pleasant detached cottages and villas. About forty years ago it contained but a few hundred residents; the present population is very little, if at all, short of 25,000. At the extremity of Great Brooke-street are the Vauxhall gardens, which have lately been laid out very tastefully, and where concerts and displays of fireworks take place during the summer; in the same street are the barracks erected soon after the Birmingham riots in 1791, a handsome range of building, with a riding-school, hospital, and magazine, also a spacious area for the exercise of cavalry, and a smaller for parade. From its proximity to Birmingham, the hamlet participates in the trade and manufactures of that town; there are a large glasshouse, flour-mills, and various other works, with several wharfs on the line of the Birmingham canal. From Ashted verge four lines of railway, the London, the Gloucester and Bristol, the Grand Junction, and the Derby, of all of which, as they proceed from Birmingham, the Vauxhall gardens command a full view. Adjoining the barracks is an episcopal chapel dedicated to St. James, formerly the dwelling-house of Dr. Ash, from whom the hamlet takes its name: it was purchased for about £2700, and consecrated Sept. 7th, 1810; in 1830 it was repaired at an expense of £848, and in 1836 enlarged at a cost of £1300. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £210; patrons, the Hon. Frederic Gough and the Ven. Archdeacons Spooner and Hodson, as trustees. Here is a national school.