An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 5. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1806.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In this section
The capital village of this hundred, is called in Domesday Book Hederseta, the seat at the place or most publick road entering the hundred; it belonged in the Confessor's days to Olf, one of the thanes or barons, and after to Earl Ralf, on whose forfeiture it was given to Alan Earl of Richmond, who gave it in the Conqueror's time to Ribald, who held it of Alan. (fn. 1)
This was then the capital manor, and had 3 carucates of land, wood for 40 swine, 87 sheep, 7 hives of bees, one church with 60 acres of glebe worth 5s. and one other church, (fn. 2) with 8 acres of glebe worth 8d. and 77 socmen, who held 4 carucates, one mill, and 2 freemen that held 60 acres; and Earl Ralf had the soc or superiour jurisdiction, viz. the hundred which he forfeited. The manor was worth 8l. in the Confessor's time, and was risen to 10l. per annum at the Conquest. The town being a league long and half a league broad, and paid 26d. 3q. to the gelt or tax. And from this time it passed with the manors of Kenton in Suffolk, Pikenham and Barford-hall manors, as in vol. ii. p. 483, till the death of Ralf Fitz-Ralf in 1269, when Pikenham, &c. descended to Robert de Nevile, who married Mary, his eldest daughter and heiress; and this went to Sir Robert de Tateshall, lord of Bukenham castle, (fn. 3) in right of Joan (fn. 4) the second daughter and heiress of the said Ralf, who as widow to Sir Robert, and then Lady Tateshall, in 1305, settled the whole manor and advowsons of the medieties, and of Cantelose, on Sir William Bernak of Hetherset, Knt. (fn. 5) and Alice his wife, and their heirs; which Alice was daughter and sole heiress of Sir Robert Driby, Knt. by Joan, one of the three daughters and heiresses of the aforesaid Lady Joan de Tateshall. This Sir Will. Bernak died Apr. 6, 1339, and Alice his wife died April 12, 1341, and are both buried in the middle of the chancel here, and left it to John de Bernak, their son, who died in 1345, April 2, and lies buried here, leaving Joan his widow, and John his son and heir, who died a minor, as did William his brother and heir, Dec. 7, 1359, when the whole descended to Maud, his sister and sole heiress, then the wife of Sir Ralf de Cromwell, lord of Tateshale, from whom it is called
To this day; and from thence one moiety of it passed with Bukenham, through the Cliftons to the Knevets, till Sir Edm. Knevet, Knt. about 1540, mortgaged it to John Flowredieu, or Flowerdew, who presented jointly with Sir Edmund in 1541, and so it continued till 1554; and in 1560, the said John purchased it to him and his heirs.
The other moiety went with Maud Cromwell to John FitzWilliams, her husband, and passed in that family, as you may see vol. i. p. 378; and it after came to Sir Rob. Drewry, or Drury, Knt. who in 1541 sold it to the aforesaid John Flowerdew, Esq. and so he became sole lord of the manor, and patron of the church; Rob. Drury, Esq. his son and heir, releasing all his right; and soon after, he manumised many of the copyhold lands, as sole lord, and died Apr. 16, 1564; by Cat. daughter of Will Sheres of Ashwelthorp, who is buried in this chancel, he had seven sons; William his eldest son married Frances, daughter of Rog. Appleyard of Stanfield-Hall in Wimondham, and died before his father, leaving Anthony his eldest son, who married Martha, daughter of John Scottow, and inherited a moiety of this manor, at his grandfather's death; Thomas, the third son, inheriting the other moiety; the whole being intailed on John, Edward, Edmund, Christopher, and Mark, younger sons of the said John; all which, at different times, sold and released their rights to Edward their brother, who also purchased the royalties: and so the whole was solely in the said Edward about 1584. In 1571, he was a lawyer of note, for then the dean and chapter of Norwich retained him their standing council, by grant of an annuity for life of 20s. out of their manor of Eaton. In 1572, he lived at Stanfield-Hall in Wimondham, and was retained by Roger Wodehouse, Esq. and had an annuity granted him of 40s. In 1575, he was retained by Will. Helmes, with an annuity of 40s. out of his manor of Rackhithe. In 1580, he was serjeant at law, and treasurer of the Inner-Temple, in which he was succeeded by Tho. Rysden, Esq. In 1584, 3d Baron of the Exchequer in the room of JohnClenche, with an annuity of 20 marks, besides all the fees, profits, &c.; and upon the removal of Robert Shute, 2d Baron of the Exchequer into the court of Common-Plcas, he was made 2d Baron, in 1585, and obtained a grant of 3l. 6s. 8d. to be yearly added to the fees of that office; he died March 31, 1586, (fn. 6) seized of all the manors of this town, (except Woodhall,) and married Eliz. daughter of Will. Forster of Windham, but had no issue, and was interred in the chancel here, leaving his brothers Thomas and Christopher, his executors; and Anthony son of William, his eldest brother, was his heir; (fn. 7) at his death he gave by will to the town of Lyn, a silver cup gilt, and another to the town of Yarmouth, and to Mrs. Shelton a gilt cup, which was given him by the city of Norwich. He was buried with much pomp, as appears by the fees paid the herauld for attendance, &c. (fn. 8) It is plain this Serjeant was an oppressor, complaints being exhibited against him by numbers of people, for ploughing up boundaries, enclosing lands, &c. (fn. 9) It seems that Anthony sold the whole to his brother John, who died seized 17 Nov. 1587, leaving Edward his son and heir, then 7 years old, whose trustee, Henry Hobart, Knt. presented in 1620, and then the manors were mortgaged to William Gostlin, who presented in 1639; and before 1670, the advowson was in John Gostlin, M. D. and his heirs for ever, and the manors settled on Tho. Flowerdew of London, merchant, and were after sold in 1678, to Captain John Aide of Horstead, who was sole lord of all the manors; and in 1739, Jane Pomfret; and they are now in
Edward Atkins of Keteringham, Esq. high-sheriff of Norfolk in 1743, by purchase.
The fine of the manor of Cromwell's is certain, at 4s. an acre and 6s. 8d. for every messuage on alienation or descent; and 2s. an acre, and 3s. 4d. each messuage for a fine upon every mortgage title. The ancient blanchefarm to Humbleyard hundred was 5s. per annum, and to Cosseye for the privilege of the lete 4s. It hath the correction of the assize of bread and ale, weyf, and free-warren. (fn. 10) It paid 40s. per annum to the honour of Richmond; (fn. 11) the manor of Huningham-hall, (fn. 12) and Baniards in Wramplingham, (fn. 13) are held of this manor.
Was part of the great manor granted off by the Fitz-Ralfs; it takes its name from the ancient lords of it, viz. Hubert Hakun of Great Melton (fn. 14) was lord in 1306, and afterwards Robert Hacun. In 1556, Henry Drury was lord, and being purchased of Rob. Drury by Serjeant Flowerdew; it was joined to Cromwell's manor as it remains at this day; the customs being the same as those of Cromwell's manor.
Woodhall and Cantelose,
Anciently called Hetherset's manor, belonged to Godric the sewer at the Conquest; one part of its soc belonged to Earl ALAN'S capital manor, and the other to the King, and Earl of Norfolk, of whose descendants it was alway sheld at a quarter of a fee. (fn. 15) John de Hetherset and Margery his wife were succeeded by Sir Simon and Cecily his wife, who with consent of Remigius his brother, parson of Hingham, (fn. 16) settled it on Margaret their sister, and Sir Robert de Ufford, her husband, who was lord here; this Sir Simon was a man of note, being one of the King's justices itinerant, was alive in 1336; and was succeeded by his eldest son, Sir John, whose widow Elizabeth remarried in 1357, to John son of John de Reppes, and then conveyed the third part of this manor to Will. de Hethersete, her eldest son, and Eve his wife, who left two daughters, their heiresses; Elizabeth, second wife to John Winter of Town-Berningham, Esq. whose daughter Eliz. dying without issue, the whole of this manor came to Sibill, their other daughter, married to John Palgrave, Esq. of Northwood Berningham, who kept court here in 1481. In 1517, Henry son of Margaret Palgrave died, and left it to John his son, at his wife Margaret's death ; 1545, Clement Palgrave, Esq. owned it: and in 1578, John Palgrave, Esq. and from that time it went as Palgrave's manor in Windham, (for which see vol. ii. p. 505,) till it was purchased and joined to the other manor by Mr. John Aide.
The customs of this manor are as the former, except the fines, which are arbitrary; the quitrents of all the manors in money and corn are above 50l. per annum. The manors extend into Barford, Wramplingham, Dunston, Taverham, Belagh, and Hunningham, and have all royalties belonging to them. There remains only one small tenement in demean, with liberty of digging white and red brick earth on the commons, and right of commonage thereon.
The church is dedicated to St. Remigius, and had formerly two medieties, each having a rector instituted thereto; the one from Sir Robert de Tateshale, patron thereof, was called Tateshale's mediety; as the other from Sir Ralf Fitz-Ralf, was called Fitz-Ralf's mediety; and the rector of Tateshale's mediety had a house and an hundred acres of land, (fn. 17) and was valued at 15 marks and an half.
Rectors of Tateshale's Mediety.
1260, Ralf de Somerton.
1300, Rob. de Driby held it, united for life to the other mediety. Joan Lady Tateshale.
1349, Robert Bishop; he resigned in
1350, to Will. de Keteringham, who had it united to the other mediety. In
1352, Will. Hille or Hulle of Keteringham was rector. He resigned this in
1384, and Lambert, son of Tho. de Frampton, had it of the gift of Sir Ralf Cromwell, Knt. Lord Tateshale, who in 1385 gave it to
Sir John Christmass, his chap lain. In
1393, Will. Basset had it; and in
1398, Rob. Bosage. Ralf Lord Cromwell. He was succeeded by John Rygges, at whose death in
1427, Thomas Ryby was presented by Sir John Tiptoft, Knt. Sir Will. Phelep, Knt. Will. Paston, and Oliver Groos, Esqrs. feoffees of the manor and advowson, to the use of Ralf Cromwell Lord Tateshale.
Rectors of Fitz-Rale's Mediety.
1300, Rob de Driby aforesaid. Joan Lady Tateshale.
1325, Sir John le Curson, rector.
1327, Gilbert de Scrobby. Sir Wil. de Bernak, Knt.
1334, Hugh de Bernak. Ditto.
1341, Roger, son of Edmund Smith of Hetherset, John de Bernak; he resigned in
1346, to Rob. Bishop; the King as guardian to John, son and heir of John de Bernak; he had the other mediety.
1349, Will. Basset. Ditto. He was buried in the church, and gave books and corn to it in 1383, but resigned before his death to
Will de Keteringham aforesaid, (fn. 18) in exchange for Cranwich; he was buried in the chancel in 1386; and in 1387, Ralf de Cromwell Lord Tateshale, presented
John, son of Tho. Serjeant, who in 1393, changed for Wesenham with
Tho. Sawnders, who was presented by Ralf Lord Tateshale aforesaid.
1408, Rog. Wright. Maud Cromwell Lady Tateshale; at his death in
1429, John atte Dam was presented by Sir Jonn Tiptoft, &c. as before, feoffees of Ralf Cromwell Lord Tateshale; and at his resignation in 1433, at the desire of the said Ralf, these medieties were perpetually united; as the church of Cantlose had been to them in 1397, and ever since they have continued as one rectory.
Rectors of the consolidated medieties of Hethersete, and church of Cantelose.
1433, Tho. Ryby aforesaid.
1452, Roger Brode. Ralf Lord Cromwell and Tateshale.
1454, John Dyconson. Lapse.
1484, Rob. Smetherst, on Dyconson's resignation. Rob. Ratclyff, Esq. late of Tateshale in Lincoln diocese, in right of Joan his wife, one of the coheirs of Ralf Lord Cromwell. (fn. 19)
John Smetherst, yeoman of the Crown, brother to this Robert, was buried in the church before the rood. (fn. 20)
1507, John Phillip, rector in 1515, exchanged for St. Mary Magdalen's hospital in Colchester, with John Wayn, who was presented by Sir Rob, Drury, Knt. guardian to Will. and Edmund Knevet, Esqrs. In 1552, Wayn exchanged this for East-Mersey in London diocese, with
Tho. Smith, A. M. who was presented by Sir Rob. Drury and Edm. Knevet, Esq. at whose death in
1541, John Barret, S. T. P. had it of the gift of Edmund Knevet, Knt. and John Floure-dieu, (or Flowerdew,) Esq. and the next year, he resigned to
Chris. Wilson, when Flowerdew presented, by grant from Sir Enmund Knevet; in 1549, May 20, this rector, by consent of the Bishop and patron, exchanged 18 pieces of glebe in Hetherset; he was deprived in 1554, and
Edward Jackson had it of Sir Edmund's gift, and died in 1573, when Edward and John Flowerdew, Esqrs. gave it to
Miles Hunne, who was deprived in 1596; the Queen by lapse, gave it to
Joshua Hutton; but in
1603, Miles Hunne was restored; for then, he returned answer to the general enquiry made, that there were 200 communicants in this parish, (fn. 21) that he held it with Forncet St. Mary and St. Peter, one benefice, though two distant churches, valued at 20l. that he was chaplain to Lettice Countess of Essex, and as such a licensed preacher, and had been so 30 years, and that Tho. Flowerdew, Gent. was patron here.
1609, Tho. Hunne, A. M.; the King; Erasmus Hunne, A. B. was his curate. 1615, the aforesaid
Thomas was forced to be reinstituted, at the presentation of Theophilus Greenaway, clerk, the King, when he presented him, having no legal title.
1617, Sept. 2, Will. Warren, A. M. the King; but his title being found invalid, in the same year, Jan. 6, being then S. T. B. he was presented by Thomas Plumstede, John Gooch, and Ric. Glover, with the consent of Sir Henry Hobart, Knt. and Bart. chief justice of the common pleas, and Edward Flowerdew, Esq.
1620, Will. Warren, A. M. Sir Henry Hobart, Knt. &c. at whose death, in
1639, Edw. Michell had it, of the gift of William Gostlin of Norwich and William Trundel, Gent. patrons of the turn.
1647, Philip Tennison, S. T. P. Archdeacon of Norfolk, (fn. 22) and rector of Foulsham (fn. 23) had it, but was ejected in the rebellion, to make way for one Jeremiah Coleman, who was buried here in 1658, and was succeeded by Tho. Moore, junior, who published, "Breach upon Breach, "or an acknowledgement of Judicial Breaches made upon Us, occa sioned by sinfull Breaches made among Us, with Instruction, Admonition, and Encouragement, yet to turn to Him that smites Us; being the Sum of what was delivered at the Funeral of Mr. Jeremiah Coleman, late Preacher of the Gospel at Hetherset in Norff. Febr. 18, 1685," published in quarto at London in 1659, by Tho. Moore, junior, his successour there, who was outed at the Restoration; and in
1660, Tho. Jermy was presented by John Beare of Westleton, at whose death in
1670, Tho. Church, S. T. P. had it of the gift of John Gostlin, M. D. of Caius College in Cambridge; and in 1673, at Church's death, the doctor gave it to
Will. Lock, A. M.; and in 1702, at Lock's death, to
John Amyas, who held it united to Melton All-Saints. In 1704, Dr. Gostlin, president of Caius college, by will dated Febr. 10, gave the patronage to that society, and in
1724, John Morrant, A. M. fellow there, was presented by the master and fellows, on Amyas's death, and held it united to St. Clement's in Norwich. He was buried here, and in
1736, The Rev. John Berney, A. M. the present rector, was instituted at the presentation of the master and fellows. He is now D. D. Archdeacon of Norwich, (fn. 24) chaplain to the Bishop, rector of the two consolidated rectories of the Saxlinghams in Norfolk, and of the rectory of St. Clement at the Bridge in Norwich.
The whole living was valued first at 20, after at 26, and after that, at 31 marks, and the portion of tithes belonging to Coverham abbey was valued at 20s. and let to the rector by perpetual composition, who always paid 2s. to each tenth for it. It lies at 8l. in the King's Books, pays first-fruits, and 16s. yearly tenths; synodals 5s. procurations 5s. Peter-pence 4s. and carvage 8d. ob. and the whole town paid to every tenth 5l. 9s. and had 13s. 4d. deducted on account of the lands in it belonging to the religious, for which they were taxed. The master of St. John of Jerusalem's Commandry at Karbrook in Norfolk had small rents here paid by the lord of the manor, of the gift of the ancient lords.
There were the gilds of St. Remigius; and of our Lady, held at her altar in our Lady's chapel; and another of St. Thomas, held at his altar in St. Thomas's chapel.
In the 7th of Eliz. a messuage, 20 acres, and 3 roods, belonged to the inhabitants, of which one rood and an half formerly belonged to St. John at Carbrook, and 4 acres and 3 roods to the gilds here, and one acre and two roods to find a lamp in the church, on which account they seized all the town lands, as concealed from the Queen upon the statute.
In Edward the First's time, John and Roger Bygod were owners, but I do not find them ever concerned in the manors; they and their family settled and continued a long time here; and were descended from the Bygods Earls of Norfolk.
The church of Hetherset hath its north porch tiled, nave, two isles, and chapels leaded, with a square tower and 5 bells. The chancel is totally ruinated, and part of the nave used as a chancel.
In our Lady's chapel, at the east end of the south isle, is an altar
tomb, having the portraitures of a knight armed cap-a-pié, with a
sword hanging from his head, which lies on a cushion, his spurs on,
and a lion at his feet; he is in a surcoat of his arms, and hath his
shield of them, viz. Bernak, erm. a fess g. By him is his lady with
a dog at her feet, and on her mantle are the arms of Bernak, impaling Driby, arg. three cinquefoils and a canton gul. (see vol i. p. 374.)
The inscription is lost, but was this,
Obitus Domini Willi de Bernake Mocccorrriro. vio Mensis Aprilis.
Obitus Domine Alicie de Bernake Mocccorlio riio die Aprilis.
This Sir William Bernak, Knt. and Alice his wife, daughter and heiress of Sir Robert de Driby, Knt. were buried in the midst of the dilapidated chancel, from whence this monument was removed, through a covetous desire of the lead wherein they were buried, by John Flowerdew, father to the Baron. It seems the chancel was rebuilt by them and Robert de Driby, the then rector, for their arms were to be seen in the east window.
In St. Thomas's chapel, at the upper end of the north isle, is a fair raised tomb, wherein lyeth Catherine, mother to Baron Flowerdew, and wife to John Flowerdew, without inscription. In the same place lie John her husband, and Tho. Flowerdew; and in the chancel, lies buried the Baron, and for want of a gravestone of his friends cost, is covered with one from another man's grave, as the MSS. from whence this account is taken, words it.
In the midst of the chancel.
Cock, with a martlet for difference, impaling Jay. (fn. 25)
Deposita Johannis Cock Generosi Filij Roberti Cock de Rushford Generosi, hic quiescunt, Qui duxit in Uxorem Mariam Filiam Johannis Jay de Holveston, in Agro Norfolciensi Armigeri, Illa ob. 18 Aug. A. D. 1656. Hic. 31 Dec. 1668, Ætatisq; suæ 70.
On the south side of the altar rails, Bokenham and nineteen coats; and the same on an achievement hanging at the east end of the south isle:
1, Bokenham, arg. a lion rampant G. with a martlet for difference. 2, Or, two bars S. 3, Sab. a chevron between three swans necks erased arg. 4, Arg. three ogresses, on the first a cross-croslet of the field. 5, Sab. a lion rampant or. 6, Sab. a chevron erm. between three coronels of tilting spears arg. by the name of Wiseman. 7, Gul. a fess lozengé arg. between three martlets or. 8, Vert, a lion rampant arg. crowned or. 9, Paly of six, arg. and sab. a fess gul. 10, a cross humetté chequy arg. and az. between twenty bezants, five in each quarter, 2, 1, 2. 11, as 5. 12, Erm. on a chief indented S. a trefoil slipped between two annulets arg. 13, Per fess nebulé arg. and gul. gutté, counterchanged in a bordure of the first. 14, Gul. a chevron between three garbs ar. and as many croslets fitché or. 15, Sab. a bend wavy between two cotises arg. 16, Bots, arg. two bars and a canton gul. over all a bend sab. 17, Ramsey, sab. a chevron between three rams heads erased arg. 18, Sab. three hands erect cooped in a bordure arg. 19, Arg. on a cross gul. five lioncels rampant of the field. 20, as 1.
In the middle an escutcheon of pretence, party per chevron ingrailed A. S. three boars counterchanged. Crest, a buck couchant proper.
Here lyeth the Body of Elizabeth the Wife of Hugh Bukenham Gent. and Daughter of Christopher Flowerdew Gent. and Susan his Wife, who departed this Life 29 Dec. A. D. 1669.
Here lyeth the Body of Hugh Bokenham fourth son of Wiseman Bokenham of Weston in the County of Suffolk Esq; he was Sheriff, Alderman, and Mayor of Norwich, and being Burgess for the said City, dyed in that Service on the 26th. of April, in the 60 year of his Age, A. D. 1694. (fn. 26)
Under this Stone is laid the Body of Walsingham Bokenham Esq; son of Hugh Bokenham late of the City of Norwich Esq; he died 9 Aug. 1714, in the 45 Year of his Age.
In the north isle. Crest, a man's arm holding a club. Betts, sab. on a bend between two cotizes arg. three roses gul. impales az. two bars ar. in chief three leopards faces or.
Here lye the Bodies of Jeofry Betts Gent. deceased May 15, 1680, and Eliz. his Wife deceased June 24, 1663, he aged 74, she 57.
This gentleman came out of Wiltshire, and was steward to the Earl of Pembrook.
Tho. Staynes died March 13, 1726, æt. 46.
In the middle alley, Thomas Richmond 1638, æt. 63. On a brass,
Hic iacet Dominus Henricus Dawntre quondam Rector de Intewood cuius anime propicietur Deus Amen. He died in 1493.
On a mural monument, Motham, S. a cross indented erm. impaling per fess nebulé S. and az. three martlets or, a canton of the 3d. Crest, a talbot.
Here lyeth the Body of Isaac Motham late of this Place Esq; ob. 10 Mar. 1703, æt. 62; And also Eliz. his Wife, by whom he had Issue 5 Sons, but all dead, and one Daughter yet living, ob. 28 Jan. 1699, æt. 61.
On a stone that lies in the chancel, which seems to have belonged to some tomb formerly, are three dogs heads cooped and collared, 2, and 1.
The hospital of St. Giles in Norwich has lands here, now held by the corporation.
In 1658, John Rope, Gent. of Norwich, gave for the use of the poor, a messuage called Jeck's in Hethersete, copyhold on Woodhull, and half an acre copyhold on Cromwell's manor, which is now the Queen's-head, and is rented at 10l. per annum, the clear income of which is annually applied by Jermy Harcourt, Gent. and Claude Roberts, the present feoffees, in clothing the poor.
Walsingham Bokenham, Esq. gave a house and lands for the use of the poor, now let at 4l. 7s. 6d. per annum.
The part of the old town-lands, which remained after those taken away in Edward the Sixth's time, are now let at 2l. per annum. Alice Kettle pays a rent charge of 2s. 6d. per annum.
Mrs. Alice Goddard, who is buried in the churchyard, on the east side of the north porch, gave a crimson velvet cushion for the pulpit, in the year 1729.
In 1735, Claude Roberts fitted up the vestry, gave 3 brass sconces for the pulpit and desk, a Bible, Common Prayer Book, and communion table-cloth.
Thickthorn, or Thickham,
Is a hamlet to this town, which takes its name from Alan de Thikethorn, its owner, who had it of Steph. le Noreys; in 1240, the said Alan, and Clarice his wife, settled it on Roger son of Robert de Thikethorn, Tikethorp, or Tykeham, who obtained of Henry III. A°. 41 reg. liberty of trying pleas in his court at Thikethorn; and the same year he settled a messuage and 100 acres, on Will. de Hackford and Margaret his wife, and Tho. Rosceline. In 1275, Daniel de Thickthorn lived here, and held his court; and soon after, Ralf at the Thick-thorns. In Queen Elizabeth's time, Robert Balle of London, Esq. conveyed it to Roger Ramsey, Esq. of Norwich, who died 16 June, 17th Car. I. seized of the capital messuage called Thickthorne, and 300 acres of land in Thickthorne in Hethersete, held of the honour of Richmond, at three quarters of a fee, and John his son and heir was 45 years old. It belonged after to the Flowerdews, since that, to Isaac Motham, or Mortram, Esq. but it seems all the lands held of the manor were purchased in.
This hamlet is on the left hand of the London road from Norwich to Hethersete, and the common belonging to it still retains the ancient name; it is owned by Miles Branthwait of Hethill, Esq.
Cantelose, Cantelowe, or Cantley,
Was part of the manor of Hethersete, but a separate parish, with a parochial church, and 8 acres of glebe in the time of the Conqueror; it took its name of Canteleese or Cantelose, about King Stephen's time, signifying the leas or lees (fn. 27) that were cut off, or separated from the parish, as being a village by itself, totally exempt from the jurisdiction of the Archdeacon of Norfolk, for it paid neither procurations, synodals, nor Peter-pence, and but 3d. carvage. When Norwich Domesday was made, Sir Rob. de Tateshale was patron; and it was a rectory valued at 5 marks, and had a rectory-house and 15 acres of glebe, but was not taxed; the whole attended Hetherset manor.
The church was dedicated to all the Saints.
Rectors of Cantelose.
Tho. de Brunne, rector.
Simon, rector. Tho. de Brekles, parson of Cantelos, granted to Simon, son to Herbert de Hetherset, the ancestor of Sir Simon de Hetherset, who lived in 1331, his wood in Tweitfield in Bekstede in Hethersete.
1321, Jeffry de Depham. Sir Wil. de Bernak, Knt.
1355, Rob. Scotard. The King; by lapse. He changed this for Wikes vicarage in Worcester diocese in
1361, with Simon de Laxton, who was presented by Ralf Lord Cromwell, as was
Simon Muriel in 1365, and died in 1372, and was buried in Great Linsted church, being succeeded by
Will. Noppe, the last rector here; for in 1397, this church was consolidated to Hethersete, by Henry Bishop of Norwich, at the petition of Ralf Cromwell, Knt. and the parishioners; it being certified that the revenues were so small, that it had laid void because nobody would accept it; and it was agreed that the profits should be divided between John Christmass and Tho. Sawnders, and their successours, rectors of Hethersete, for ever; who served the church alternately as a free-chapel, till the reformation, when it was totally demolished. The place where it stood being called the Old Churchyard.
There was an ancient family sirnamed from this hamlet, for John, son of Peter de Cantelos, and Will. Bygod, were owners here in Henry the Third's time.
The capital messuage called Cantlowe-hall, is now owned by Arthur Jenney, Gent.