Blofield Hundred: Lingwood

An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 7. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1807.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

Francis Blomefield, 'Blofield Hundred: Lingwood', An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 7, (London, 1807), pp. 237. British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/topographical-hist-norfolk/vol7/p237 [accessed 20 June 2024].

Francis Blomefield. "Blofield Hundred: Lingwood", in An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 7, (London, 1807) 237. British History Online, accessed June 20, 2024, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/topographical-hist-norfolk/vol7/p237.

Blomefield, Francis. "Blofield Hundred: Lingwood", An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 7, (London, 1807). 237. British History Online. Web. 20 June 2024, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/topographical-hist-norfolk/vol7/p237.

In this section

LINGWOOD.

There is no mention made of this town in the grand survey, it being a part and member of the Bishop of Norwich's great lordship of Blofield, and so valued, &c. under it, and was held of the see of Norwich, by the families of de Cateston, and de Lingwood.

In the 9th of Edward II. Joan de Cateston, or Caston, and William de Lingwood, were returned to be lords; and William de Lingwood was patron of the church, and lord, in 1349.

Margaret Countess of Norfolk aliened to Weybridge priory, a messuage, 92 acres of land, with 3s. rent, in this town, and in the Birlinghams, with the advowson of the church, belonging to the manor of Blofield, as was found in the 8th of Richard II.—Eschaet.

In the 32d of Henry VIII. the King granted to Thomas Paston, Esq. messuages and lands here, with the manors of Blofield and Beighton, and lands lately belonging to Langley abbey.

The tenths were 3l. 3s. Deducted 6s. 8d.

The Church was a rectory, dedicated to St. Peter, valued at 4l. Peter-pence 4d. Carvage 2d. ob.

Rectors.

1310, John de Tyrington instituted rector, presented by William de Lyngewood.

1339, Mr. Nicholas Atte Gap de Blofield. Ditto.

1349, Edmund le Clerk. Ditto.

1356, John de Hindringham.

1370, John Elys, by John Stoke, citizen of Norwich, on the grant of Margaret Countess of Norfolk, became appropriated to Weybridgepriory.

In 1557, Christopher Dandy was presented by the Bishop of Norwich, being, as I take it, in the Crown.

1559, Andrew Brown, by the Bishop, a lapse.

1590, Thomas Wynington, to the rectory, by the Queen, a lapse. In the 18th of Elizabeth, January 30, the rectory was granted to John Dudley, and John Ascough, in consideration of divers messuages, lands and tenements, in the isle of Shepey in Kent, sold to them by Henry Cheeney.

In 1609, Edward Hilton held it, and was the impropriator. It is a curacy, and was in the gift of Mr. Hilton, in 1740.

In the church was the guild, and the light of St. Mary.

Concealed lands belonging to Weybridge-priory were granted August 7, in the 10th of Elizabeth, to Hugh Counsel and Robert Baker.