An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 7. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1807.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Was a town near to Crimplesham, and held by Rainald, son of Ivo. At the survey, there were 3 freemen who had the liberty of the lord's fold, and were under his protection, with other freemen belonning to the soc of St. Bennet (that is of Ramsey abbey) valued at 14d. and one freemen, with 40 acres valued at 2s. and was included in its length, &c. and gelt under Crimplesham, having the same lord. (fn. 1)
This lordship came with Crimplesham to the Earls of Clare. The town has been destroyed time immemorial; the site was in or near the closes, now called great and little Tombers, which are now in Stradeset, and was standing about the reign of Henry III. by a deed sans date, John de Houghe de Wallington conveyed to Roger son of John Aylmer of Tomers in Torpe, for 10s. and paying homage and service to him, 8 roods of land in the field of Tomers:—witnesses, R. Russel, of Thorp, Hubert Hakun of Shouldham, John Trusbut of the same, &c. it also appears from an old roll, that the lete fee was anciently 6d. and held by the abbot of Ramsey.
Great and little Tomers, in Stradset (that is, Shouldam-Thorp) closes, were sold by Charles Cornwallis, Esq. to Hugh Hare, Esq. Nov. 2, in the 17th of Elizabeth; and Sir George Hare possessed them as lord.
It took its name from two small meers, or stagnating waters.