Gallow and Brothercross Hundreds: Sengham

An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 7. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1807.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.


Francis Blomefield, 'Gallow and Brothercross Hundreds: Sengham', An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 7, (London, 1807), pp. 195-197. British History Online [accessed 16 June 2024].

Francis Blomefield. "Gallow and Brothercross Hundreds: Sengham", in An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 7, (London, 1807) 195-197. British History Online, accessed June 16, 2024,

Blomefield, Francis. "Gallow and Brothercross Hundreds: Sengham", An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 7, (London, 1807). 195-197. British History Online. Web. 16 June 2024,

In this section


Was an hamlet belonging to Tatersete. In the 9th of King John the prior of Castleacre was impleaded by William de Pynkeny for commoning here, and in Tatersete, who pleaded that the common was not the sole property of William, but that many free tenants commoned there; and, in the 14th of Edward I. it was found that William Attehow, (father of Richard,) died in his journey, (or pilgrimage,) to St. James, seized of a mill, 14 acres of land, 2s. and 10d. in Sengham and Tatersete, which they held of Thomas de Begevile, and Joan his wife, by knight's service. Maud Edebyne, of Tatersete, confirmed to John, in the hyrne of Tatersete, a messuage, with a croft in Tatersete, in a street called Sengham:—witness, James de Pynkeney, &c.

In this town were two churches. Ralph de Pincheneia confirmed the gift of his father to the priory of Castleacre by deed, sans date, the church of St. Andrew, as is before observed,—and was confirmed by Eborard Bishop of Norwich. (fn. 1)

Sir Maurice de Barsham gave to the said priory the advowson of the church of All-Saints, in the presence of Tyngrin, archdeacon of Norwich, (this was in or about 1171,) with a villain, Brunketel de Taterset, William de Bellomont, by deed, sans date, with Joan his wife, confirmed it: this Joan was daughter and heir of Sir Maurice, whose manor of East-Barsham extended into this town. Iwan de Dunton, and Alice his wife, released, by fine, to William de Bellomonte the 3d part of a fee here, and in Taterset, Ao. 6°. Henry III.

The Church of All-Saints was a rectory, in the patronage of the priory of Castleacre, in King Edward the First's reign; the rector had a manse, with 2 acres of land, valued at 13 marks and a half: the prior of Castleacre had a portion, valued at 15s. 2d.—Peter-pence, 20d.—Symon Bishop of Norwich, in 1265, confirmed to Castleacre priory an annual pension of half a mark of this church, of the tithes of the demeans, late William de Bellomont's.


Richard de Mellers occurs rector in 1289.

1349, Adam Wortes, presented by the prior, &c. of Castleacre.

1354, William Somere. Ditto.

1372, Humfr. Dirywale. Ditto.

Adam de Elmley.

1382, Hasteney. Ditto.

1418, Roger Sawere. Ditto.

1450, Thomas Holand, by the Bishop, a lapse.

1468, Leonard Fychet, by the Bishop, ditto.

1476, William Horne. Ditto.

1515, John Ailmer, by the prior, &c.

1515, John Wynter.

1541, Ad. Hamond, by the assigns of the prior, &c.

1555, John Crane, by Sir William Fermor.

1559, John Gibson, by Thomas Duke of Norfolk.

1562, Stephen Ducket. Ditto.

1570, Arthur Kettelwell, by Thomas Fermor, Esq.

1601, Valery Kettelwell, by Arthur Kettelwell, hac vice.

1637, Christopher Seaman, by the assigns of Thomas Violet, and Robert Burgess, Gent.

1649, Edward Salter, by Christopher Seaman.

1664, John Pell, by George Violet.

1709, Nath. Osborn, by Sir Robert Drury, and Lady Diana Drury his wife, Frances Harris, widow, and Cecilia Violet, spinster.

1727, John Stone, by the Lady Diana Drury.

1758, John Wright, as in Taterford.

The Church of Taterset, St. Andrew, was a rectory in the patronage of the prior and convent of Castleacre, in King Edward the First's time; the rector had a manse, and 12 acres of land, valued at 11 marks and an half, the prior of Castleacre, a portion of 20s. per ann.


Roger was rector in Bishop Eborard's time, presented by Angewine, prior, and convent of Castleacre.

William de Wells occurs rector, 1258.

Robert de Fulburne, in 1266, and Mr. William de Hales, in 1278.

Robert de Wytherseyte, in 1289.

Oliver de Mounpinzon, rector.

1320, John Le Cuszon, by the prior, &c.

1325, Mr. John de Sculthorp. Ditto.

1331, John de Stanhow. Ditto.

1331, Robert de Stanhow. Ditto.

John de Stanewygg.

1338, Robert Atte Brom, by John Earl Warren, patron of Castleacre priory.

1339, John de Cotenham. Ditto.

1339, Ralph de Gate. Ditto.

1342, William Russell. Ditto.

1349, John de Darlyng. Ditto.

1366, William Warwick. Ditto.

1372, Andrew Reed. Ditto.

1374, William Sely. Ditto.

1415, John Talbot. Ditto.

Thomas York. Ditto.

1419, Richard Brigg. Ditto.

1422, John Shott. Ditto.

1423, William de Spanby. Ditto.

1436, John Fychet. Ditto.

Nathaniel Osborn died rector, 1727.

John Stone died rector in 1758.

John Wright, rector also of Taterford.

In the church of Taterset are grave-stones.

In memory of John Walpole, Esq. who died Dec. 11, 1654.— Edw. Pepys, Esq. who died 22d Dec. 1663, aged 46.—Anna Pepys, daughter of Edward, who died Sept. 8, 1655.


  • 1. Regist. Castleacr. fol. 36, 124.