An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 7. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1807.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Called Bertun by the Saxons, from its site by the hills; thus Barley in Hertfordshire, Barton in Suffolk, &c. Bergh or Bar signifying a hill. At the grand survey, made by King William I. in the year 1085, it was possessed by three great lords; one of these, Hermerus de Fererys, or De Ferrers, was lord of this manor, by a grant of the Conqueror, on the deprivation of Turchetel. William was enfeoffed of it under Hermerus. In Turchetel's time, it consisted of 2 carucates of land, 5 villains, 3 bordarers, 3 servi, one only at the survey; there were always 4 acres of wood, and 20 acres of meadow, 2 carucates in demean, and 2 among the tenants; at the survey but one, 3 cows, and 4 runci, (horses for draught,) &c.—thirty sheep; at the survey, 61; a church endowed with 12 acres, and was valued at 60s. per ann. (fn. 1) There also belonged to it 7 freemen, who held a carucate and an half, with 30 acres of land, but folded in the lord's fold, and were only under commendation or protection.
Hermerus had invaded, or seized on, the land of a freeman, who had half a carucate, and 12 acres, valued at 3s. per ann. which William aforesaid held under Hermerus, and was by that freeman held only by commendation, before this seizure:—also on the land of a free man, who had 60 acres, with a bordarer, and half a carucate, and 8 acres of meadow, valued at 2s. 8d. per ann.
Turchetil was a Saxon thane, or nobleman, held many lordships in this hundred and county, most of which were granted to Hermerus.— William, who held it of him, was probably ancestor of the family of De Wormegey, which was also a lordship of Hermerus: he is styled a freeman. Godwin, father of King Harold, and his sons, are thus also called in the grand survey.
In the book of Domesday, we frequently meet with the word commendatio. Romulus, the first King of Rome, placed the Plebeians (as a trust) in the hands of the Patricians, allowing every Plebeian the liberty to choose any Patrician he thought proper for his patron. Terence, in his play called the Eunuch, says,—Thais patri se commendavit in clientenam, et fidem nobis se dedit.—It is probable, the Britons learned this of the Romans, and so came to the Saxons.
Another thing to be observed here is, that great Norman lords at the conquest, frequently invaded, or seized on the lands of many freemen and Saxon lords, without any authority or grant from the Conqueror, by force and violence.
About the reign of King Stephen, a family who assumed their name from the great Saxon dike, lying at the east end of this township, cast up (as it is said) as a boundary to this hundred, and called De Bendish, held it of the honour of Wirmegay, in this hundred, of the heirs of Hermerus, as may be there seen: the daughter of this family was married to Thomas Lovell, in the reign of King Richard I.
This family claim their descent from the Earls of Iberi in FranceAndrew Lovell was living in the reign of Henry II. and father of Thomas, who married —, the daughter and heiress of John Bendish aforesaid, who was with that king in the wars of the Holy Land, and had the King's protection for his lands.—William Luvell held one knight's fee here in the time of Henry III. and in the 54th of that King, John de Luvell was living, attended Prince Edward into the Holy Land, and had the King's protection, &c. lord here, and held lands in Boketon, Bitcham-Well, and Mateshale. (fn. 2) —John Lovell, son of John, died in the 2d of Edward III. seized of this manor, with the advowson of the church of St. Mary, a windmill, &c. held of the honour of Wirmegay. William Lovell was living in the 31st of Edward III. and father of Thomas, living in the reign of King Richard II. &c. and by the name of Thomas Lovell, senior, of Barton Bendish, dates his testament, August 16, 1421; (fn. 3) to be buried in St. Mary's church of Barton; to William his son, all his stuff in this manor of Wanford, to every of his daughters 100 marks portion. Alice his wife, Thomas his son, William Narburg, junior, Richard Baret of Hecham, and William his son, executors. His last will is also of the same date, whereby he wills all his manors, lands, tenements, &c. in Barton Bendysh, Buketon, Fyncham, Bycham-Well and Mateshale Bergh, to remain in his feoffees hands till his debts were paid. Alice his wife to have a rentcharge of 20 marks yearly, issuing out of his lands in the towns aforesaid, which descended to him from his father William.—Thomas his son, and the heirs male of his body, to have those manors; but Alice, his daughter, a rent of 10l. yearly; Beatrix, his daughter, a like rent thereout; remainder to Nicholas, brother of Thomas, remainder to Ralph, remainder to William, remainder to John, all his sons, remainder to his own heirs: William his son to have the manor of Wang ford. He had lands also at Cley, by Swaffham, which he gives to John, with like remainders. Nicholas his son to have his purchased lands in Fincham, with those in Wretton, Stoke and Wyrham; lands, called Colles and Collyngtons, in Buketon; lands in Denver, Riston and Roxham; his manor in Tyrington, after several pious uses performed to God, to Nicholas his son in tail. Proved September 10 following.
This Thomas is said to have married, first, Joan, daughter and heir of Robert Muswell, or Mosell; and his 2d wife was Alice: King Richard, in his 9th year, exempted him from serving on any jury, or as an eschaetor, coroner, &c.
Thomas Lovell, Esq. son and heir of Thomas, by his first wife Joan, left Thomas his son, by Cecilia his wife, daughter of — Orrell; who by his deed, dated November 1, in the 28th of Henry VI. grants to Cecilia his mother, of Chesterton in Cambridgeshire, all his manors and lands aforesaid, with the advowson of St. Mary's church in Barton, and that of the chapel of St. Mary in Eastmore; (fn. 4) and Ralph Lovell of Beecham-Well, William Lovell of Chesterton, and John Lovell of Berton, released all their rights in the said manors, held by Thomas Lovell of Berton, late deceased, to the said Thomas and Anne his wife, for the life of the said Thomas and Anne. By this deed, it evidently appears, that this Thomas was not the son of Joan, as is represented in certain pedigrees; and it further appears, that Nicholas his uncle was not living at this time. This Thomas Lovell married Anne, daughter of Robert Tappes, alderman of Norwich, and merchant. Robert Tappees, in the reign of Edward IV. gives to Anne Lovell, his sister, and to his nephew, Gregory Lovell, her son, a manor in Melton Parva. The said Thomas, and his father, Thomas Lovell, Esq. presented several times to the church of St. Mary, from the year 1422, to the year 1463. In the 13th of Edward IV. a fine was levied, wherein this Thomas, and Anne his wife, convey to Sir Thomas Brews, William Yelverton, junior, Esq. &c. all his interest in this town, from the heirs of the said Anne; and died, as I take it, soon after, without issue.
In the year 1474, Gregory Lovell, Esq. presented to St. Mary's church, as lord of this manor; he was son and heir of Sir Ralph Lovell (as he is styled) brother of Thomas Lovell, Esq. aforesaid, lord of Well-Hall manor, of Beacham-Well, and patron of the church of St. John's in that town, to which he presented 5 times by the name of Ralph Lovell, Esq. the last presentation being in 1475, and died soon after. By Joan his wife, he was father of 3 of the most eminent knights in that time; Sir Gregory, the first son; Sir Robert, the 2d, was created a knight at Blackheath field, in 1497; Sir Thomas, the 3d, was Knight banneret, Knight of the Garter, chancellor of the Exchequer, president of the council, &c.; Gregory, the eldest, was also a knight, and presented to this church in 1496.
He married Margaret, daughter of Sir William Brandon, aunt to Charles Brandon Duke of Suffolk, and was father of Thomas Lovell, Esq. who presented as lord in 1510; and in 1518, then a knight; by Catherine his wife, daughter of Sir Thomas Woodhouse of Kimberley, had Thomas his son, and a daughter Margaret, the wife of John Karsey of Reresby in Lincolnshire, Gent. This Thomas dying before his father, without issue by his wife Elizabeth, daughter of John Dethick, Esq. of Wirmegay, Sir Thomas Lovell conveyed it to Thomas Mono, whose son, in the reign of that Queen, sold it to John Dethick, who presented to the church of St. Mary in 1588, and Edmund Dethick presented in 1562, and in 1571; Edmund Audley, Esq. and Edward Dethick, Gent. guardians of Christopher Dethick. Christopher passed it to Franc. Woodhouse, Esq. in the 16th of Queen Elizabeth, who, in the 21st of the said reign, conveyed it to Francis Gawdy, Esq. serjeant at law, afterwards lord chief justice of the Common Pleas, who died possessed of it. By the marriage of Frances his grand-daughter, it came to Robert Rich Earl of Warwick, and so to Sir Thomas Cheek, who, in the 17th of King James I. conveyed it to Sir Ralph Hare of Stow Bardolf; and, on the 10th of October, in the 17th of King Charles II. was sold by Sir Ralph Hare, Bart. to Sir Richard Berney, Bart. in which family it remains; Sir Hanson Berney of Kirby Bedon, Bart being the present lord.
The ancient family of Brancaster gave name to it; Robert de Brancaster was living, and lord, in the reign of Henry II. (fn. 5)
Bartholomew, son of Peter de Brancaster, gave by deed, sans date, (with his body,) the chapel of St. John Baptist, in Barton Eastmore, to the abbey of West Dereham, and Adam, son of Thomas de Brancaster, by deed, s. d. gave to Adam de Fincham, and Annabel his wife, one messuage, with the appertenances in Berton, called Brancaster Hall crofts, and 5s. rent per ann. of free tenants; 2 villains, with all their goods and chattels, with 2 acres of land, all the homages, wards, escheats, &c. of the free tenants.
John, son of Adam de Brancaster, by deed, on Thursday after the Decollation of St. John Baptist, in the 17th of Edward II. released to Adam, son of Thomas de Brancaster, all his right in land, rent, the moiety of a messuage, and Christiana, late wife of Thomas, in the said year, quit-claimed to Adam her son, all her right therein.
John Fincham and John Codington were found, by an inquisition, to hold in the 3d of Henry IV. one fee of the honour of Wirmegay; in the family of Fincham, (of whom see in Fincham,) it remained till William Fincham, Esq. in the 12th of Elizabeth, conveyed it to Thomas Heigham, Gent. and he to Edmund Guybon and John Mundeford, Gents. in the 32d of that Queen; and after came to serjeant Gawdy, and so to the Berneys, as in Lovell manor.
Curpell, and Hern Hall.
Roger Curpel was lord, and held half a fee here in the reign of Henry III. of the honour of Wirmegay, and left 4 daughters and coheirs: it came to the Caustons, and after to Nicholas de Massingham, who kept a court here, in the 9th of Richard II. and then to the Lovels. Sir Thomas Lovell sold it in the 26th of Henry VIII. to Thomas Monox, Esq. of Walthamstow in Essex. He died seized of it, Ao. 38. 300 acres of land, a messuage, called Grymes, 60 acres at Eastmore, a close, called Old Hern Hall, &c. held by the 4th part of a fee; soon after united to Lovel's manor, passed with it, and is in Sir Hans. Berney, Bart.
One moiety of this was in the Lovels, the other in the Finchams, in the 26th of Henry VIII. held of the aforesaid honour. Sir Thomas Lovell, in the 26th of Henry VIII. conveyed it to Robert Trapps, goldsmith of London, and Trapps to Sir Roger Townsend, with Littlemore Close, in the 36th of that King; and Townsend to John Dethick, Esq. Christopher Dethick to Francis Woodhouse, Esq. in the 16th of Elizabeth, who, in the 21st of that Queen, sold it to Serjeant Gawdy, so was united to Lovel's manor, &c.
John Fincham, Esq. died possessed of a moiety, Ao. 33d of Henry VIII. and William Fincham, in the 12th of Elizabeth, sold it to John Higham, and so came to Gawdy, &c.
Michael de Snore held it in the reign of Edward I. John Atte Snore was lord in the 6th of Edward III. and witness to a deed in the 9th of Richard II. Robert Atte Snore kept his court at Snore Hall in Eastmore, on the feast of St. Peter ad Vincula.—Ralph Atte Snore, in the 14th of Edward III. was found to hold a messuage, 60 acres of land of the Lord Bardolf, and 39 acres of the abbot of West Derham, paying him 22s. per ann. and the rest of John de Fincham. This also came to Gawdy, and so to the Berneys.
Rainald, son of Ivo, had a grant of the principal manor, and part of this town from the Conqueror, on the deprivation of Chetil, a freeman, lord in King Edward's reign; (fn. 6) this consisted then of one carucate of land, 4 villains, 2 bordarers, 20 acres of meadow, 2 carucates in domain, and one among the tenants, valued at 40s. at the survey at 30s. It was one leuca long, half a leuca broad, and 3 furlongs; and when the whole hundred paid 20s. gelt, this whole village of Barton paid 16d.
The said Rainald had also the lordship granted to him, which Turchill (or Turchetil) was deprived of, containing 3 carucates of land, 6 villains, 5 bordarers, 3 servi, &c. &c. 20 acres of meadow, with 3 carucates in domain, &c. one carucate among the tenants, and 67 sheep; and to this manor belonged 5 freemen to the soc only, with 30 acres of land, a carucate of meadow, and 4 acres of wood, valued in the whole at 10l. in King Edward's reign, after at 60s. at the survey 85s. and what the 5 freemen held, at 42s. and 8d. per ann.
Rainald had also a grant of a manor, of which Toli, a freeman, was deprived, who had 6 villains, &c. 5 bordarers, 5 servi, and 12 acres of meadow, 2 carucates in domain, &c. one of the tenants, &c. Five freemen belonged to the soc only, and under the lord's protection, and 2 paid all customary dues. These five had a carucate and 12 acres of meadow; 2 villains had 6 acres of the domain land; when he had the grant, there were 60 sheep, &c. 11 swine, &c. the whole valued at 80s. after at 60s. and what the 5 freemen had at 10s.
These tenures possessed by Rainald, came to the Earls of Clare, and constituted several lordships.
The Lord Scales held this of the Earl of Clare, in the reign of Henry III. Robert Lord Scales was found then to have one fee; and, in the 3d of Edward I. that a gallows at Mickledick, between Barton and Bicham-Well, belonged to it, and was valued, in the 33d of Edward III. at 10l. 19s. 3d. per ann. By the marriage of Elizabeth, daughter and heir of Thomas Lord Scales, it came to Anth. Woodvile Earl Rivers, who enjoyed it in the 4th of Edward IV. This lady dying without issue, it descended to Elizabeth, daughter and heir of Sir John Howard by Joan his wife, daughter and heir of Sir Richard Walton, relict of John Earl of Oxford, who was beheaded, Ao. 1 of Edward IV. and, on her decease, was granted by King Richard III. on February 1, Ao. 2, to John Duke of Norfolk.
On the accession of King Henry VII. it was restored to John Vere Earl of Oxford and Lord Scales, who dying s.p. it fell to two of his sisters share; Dorothy, wife of John Nevill Lord Latimer, and Elizabeth, wife of Sir Ant. Wingfield; the Wingfields being after possessed of the whole, Sir Robert Wingfield and his son Anth. on May 16. Ao. 33. Elizabeth, conveyed it to Serjeant Gawdy, and so came (as is above observed) to the present lord, Sir Hans. Berney, Bart.
Overhall and Netherhall.
William de Berton held, in the 3d of Edward I. the 4th part of a fee; and in the 8th of Edward II. their heirs of the honour of Clare. The Lovells afterwards possessed it, and Thomas Monox died seized of these manors, held of the King, as of the honour of Clare, by knights service, Ao. 30 Henry VIII. and Geo. Monox, and Elizabeth his wife, conveyed them to John Dethick, Esq.; his grandson, Christopher, sold them to Franc. Woodhouse of Beccles, Esq. and he to Serjeant Gaudy, and so united came to the Berneys.
Derham Abbot's Manor.
The abbot was possessed of this, as appears in the 19th of EdwardI. In the 12th year of Edward II. Richard Rigge, and Emma his wife, gave (and it was settled by fine) 38 acres of land, and 5 of meadow to it, held of the Lord Scales. In the 1st year of Henry VII. Thomas Lovel, Esq. held it of the abbot, paying certain rents. The site of it was at Eastmore, a hamlet in this parish. At the general dissolution, it was found leased to John Dethick, Esq. by Roger Firman, the last abbot, in the 29th of Henry VIII. for 60 years; on the expiration of it, was granted to Thomas Jones, by Queen Elizabeth, Aug. 15, Ao. 9 in consideration of his great charges in maintaining two ships well armed for some time for her service, paying 8l. 11s. 8d. to the Crown per ann. This Jones was a burgess of King's Lynn. Robert Cecil Earl of Salisbury held of it, and conveyed it to Sir John Rous, and Nathaniel Rich, Esqrs. and so came to Robert Rich Earl of Warwick, and to the Berneys.
Temporalities of this abbey, with Winwaloy priory, were valued, in 1428, at 11l. 11s. 4d. per ann.
Bromhill Priory Manor.
I find the prior to hold it in 1270; in that year, Richard de Longden gave 6 marks, and a fenn to Eastmore. In the 14th of Edward I. Cecilia, wife of John de Rungton, gave lands in Berton. It was suppressed, before the general dissolution, by a bull of Pope Clement VII. dated May 14, 1528, and granted by King Henry VIII. to Cardinal Wolsey on December 30th following, with all the messuages, lands, &c. in Berton and Eastmore; soon after, on that Cardinal's prœmunire and attainder, was given January 2, Ao. 28 of the said King, to Christ college in Cambridge, and so remains.
In 1428, their temporalities were valued at 39s. and 6d. per ann.
Barton Burial Manor.
Was part of the possessions of Heringby college, in Flegg hundred, Norfolk; on its dissolution, was granted April 18, Ao. 36 Henry VIII. to Sir William Woodehouse, who alienated it, Ao. 2 Edward VI. to August. Steward, who sold it, Ao. 2 Elizabeth, to Robert Wood, alderman of Norwich, who passed it in the 10th of that Queen to John Gerard. In her 14th year, John Parker conveyed it to Richard Lucas, and so came to Judge Gawdy and Berney.
Besides those lordships, it appears, that Ralph de Camois claimed one knight's fee in Berton and Eastmore of Ralph de Roffa, or Rochester, which Ralph Wallensis, uncle of Stephen, father of Ralph de Camois, was seized of in the reign of Henry II. William de Roucester died possessed of it in the 33d of Henry III. son of Ralph, and it came to Sir Robert Tudenham, by the marriage of Eva, relict of Ralph de Roucester, son of Henry, brother and heir of William, who died s. p. This was also held of the Earls of Clare; and, in the 54th of Henry III. Sir Robert Tudenham, and Eva his wife, granted it, by fine, to Robert de Weston, and Hawisia his wife, sister of Ralph, son of Sir Henry, (which they held in dower of the inheritance of Hawisia,) in exchange for the manor of Ereswell in Suffolk; but, in the first of Edward I. the said Sir Robert, &c. conveyed it to Gilbert de Well, and Maud his wife.
Ralph Bainard, a Norman lord, had, on the conquest, the grant of a capital manor, of which Ailid, a free woman, was deprived, consisting of 2 carucates of land, 4 villains, 7 bordarers, 4 servi, 20 acres of meadow; and when Ralph entered on it, there were 2 runci, 2 cows, 60 swine, and 140 sheep, valued at 80s. but at the survey at 60s. also a church, endowed with 24 acres, valued at 2s. per ann. Four men belonged to it, who paid all customary dues; and there were 4 other, who belonged only to the lord's soc, and held a carucate and 6 acres of meadow, valued in Ailid's time at 20s. at the survey at 30s. (fn. 7) Ralph had also seized on, in this town, 30 acres, held by a freeman in King Edward's time.
William Lord Bainard, rebelling against King Henry I. forfeited this lordship, and that King gave it to Robert, a younger son of Richard Fitz-Gilbert, ancestor of the Earls of Clare; from this Robert the family of the lords Fitz Walters descended; and, in the reign of Henry III. Edmund de Lenn, and Richard Jeffrey, alias Jovene, held it of the Lord Fitz-Walter by one knight's fee. William de Lenn, rector of North Lynn, held a moiety of it in the 2d of Edward III. and conveyed it, Ao. 6, to Adam de Fincham, and Annabel his wife; and Ao 20, John de Fincham held it, and John de Codington the other moiety. to whom it was conveyed, Ao. 17, by William de Eton, and Joan his wife, late wife of John de Jovene. After this, the Finchams were possessed of it; and, in the 33d of Henry VIII. died lord of the whole. William Fincham, Esq. in the 12th of Elizabeth, granted it to Charles Cornwallis, Esq. who married his sister Anne, from whom it came, Ao. 32, to Thomas Gawsell, Jasper Blake, &c. and soon after to Serjeant Gawdy, and so to the Hares and Berneys.
The lete of the town was in Sir George Hare. Bart. The tenths were 10l. 7s. Deducted 1l. for the lands of the religious, who were charged, and paid it themselves. Lete fee, 2s. 8d.
In the 16th of Richard II. Thomas Moor, &c. aliened lands here, and in Beacham Well, to the prior of Ingham.—The temporalities of Ramsey were valued in 1428, at 20s.—Those of the prior of St. Neots, at 15s. 6d.—The spiritualities of the college of Stoke Clare, in St. Andrew's parish, at 40s.
St. Andrew's Church is a single pile, built of flint stones, &c. in length about 53 feet, in breadth about 19, covered with reed, and has a square tower, coped with free stone, and three bells; on the top or summit is a cup or cover, with a weathercock. Over the entrance or arch of the porch, in a nitch, stands a little antique figure of St. Andrew, with his shield, a saltire cross in his right hand; and on the sides of this porch are flint stones, worked in the form of saltires. Many churches had the image of the Saint to whom they were dedicated in such places. (fn. 8) Thus we read, that the image of Thomas Becket Archbishop of Canterbury was over the door of the Mercer's chapel in Cheapside, London, dedicated to him, and the bason for the holy water is still entire on the right hand as you enter.
On the pavement, within the rails of the communion table, lie 3 black marble stones:—On one,
Depositum Matthœi Novell, rectoris hujus ecclesiœ.—2, Depositum Mariœ conjugis Matti. Novell.—3, Depositum Matti. filii 2di. Matti. et Mariæ Novell.
The east window has been ornamented with painted glass; on the edging of it may be observed several leopards heads, or, jessant flowers de-lis, the arms of Cantilupe.—On the pavement of the chancel are several small antique pavements, and thereon are cinquefoils, stars, mullets, lozengys, . . . . and ermine, and some with eagles and crescents, and are about 4 inches square: this chancel is about 33 feet long, and 15 broad, covered with reed.
In the churchyard are 3 altar tombs of brick, covered with stone slabs.
1, Here lyeth the body of William, son of William Mott, Gent. buried November 27, 1705.—2, Here, &c. of William Mott, Gent. buried December 14, 1705.—3, Here, &c. of Edmund Mott, son of William Mott, Gent. buried Feb. 3, 1705.
1299, Robert de Everdon occurs rector.
1314, Simon de Blatherwyke instituted, presented by the prior, &c. of St. Neot's.
Simon de Northburgh occurs in 1326.
1330, William de Lilleford, by ditto.
1344, Martin de Fincham.
1349, Robert Trayle, by the King, the temporalities of St. Noet's priory then in the Crown.
1377, Roger Warde, by the King.
1386, John Joseph, on the resignation of Warde; he was rector of Bexwell in Norfolk, and exchanged with Warde; presented by the King.
1396, Thomas Stormeworthe, on the resignation of Joseph; he was vicar of Steeple Bumstede in Essex, and exchanged with Joseph; presented by the King, &c.
1404, John Doutre, or Dautre, on the resignation of Stormeworthe; he was rector of Acle Parva in Essex, and exchanged with Stormeworthe; presented by the prior and convent of St. Neot's.
1406, William Lopyngton, presented by the prior, &c.
1410, John Candeler, on the resignation of Lopyngton; he was rector of Dalham in Suffolk, and exchanged with Lopyngton; he had been vicar of Swaffham in Norfolk; presented by the prior, &c.
1417, Thomas Ledlady, on the resignation of Candeler; he was vicar of South Lynn, All-Saints, and exchanged with Candeler; he had been rector of Downham, Norfolk, and custos of the chapel of Barton Eastmore; presented by the prior, &c.
1426, Thomas Crishale, on the resignation of Ledlady; he was rector of North Lynn, St. Edmund, and custos of the chapel at Eastmore, and exchanged with Ledlady; presented by the prior, &c.
1430, John Pomfret, on the resignation of Crishale; he was vicar of Hackeney (now Hackney) in Middlesex, and exchanged with Crishale; presented by the prior, &c.
1431, Robert Lucy, subdeacon, on the resignation of Pomfret; he was rector of Langdon in Essex, and exchanged with Pomfret; presented by the prior, &c.
1442, John Paris. Ditto.
1471, John Lovell, presented by the prior, &c.
1479, Benedict Newman on the death of Lovell, by the prior, &c.
1512, John Green, L. L. B. on the death of Thomas Hall, by the prior, &c. This church was then valued at 20 marks; this old valor was made about the 20th of Edward I. and the last (now in use) in the 20th of Henry VIII. (fn. 9)
Thomas Becket Archbishop of Canterbury, in the reign of Henry II. paid no first-fruits, or annates to the Pope; none were paid in that time, or before it, but afterwards, in the time of Pope John XXII. first-fruits began to be paid.—Prior of Stoke's portion at 40s.—Peterpence 18d.
1515, Walter Greggs, A. M.
1518, John Rawnes, prior of St. Neot's, on the death of Greggs; presented by Thomas Hynds, on a grant from the monastery of St. Noet's, hâc vice.
1540, Thomas Hatler, on the death of the last rector, by the King.
1544, John Lawnde, on the death of the last rector, by the King.
William Burley; he was deprived in 1553, as a married priest.
1554, Adam Richardson, L. L. B. by the Queen.
1556, John Farrar, batchelor of decrees, on the resignation of Richardson; presented by King Philip and Queen Mary; rector also of Allhallows; see there.
1579, Henry Vaux, by the Queen.
1585, Edmund Jones, A. M. In his answer to King James, 1603, he says there were then 98 communicants in this parish; he was then batchelor of divinity, chaplain to the Earl of Sussex, and rector of Allhallows.
1625, Thomas Raworth, A. M. by the King.
1666, Matt. Novell, A. M. Ditto.
1689, Laurence Park, by the King.
1716, Joseph Ward, A. M. Ditto.
1724, Joseph Ward, junior. Ditto.
1741, Joseph Forby. Ditto.
1745, William Garforth. Ditto.
1755, Mr. James Adamson, the present rector.
This rectory is valued in the King's Books at 14l. and pays tenths 1l. 8s.
Roger de Clare Earl of Gloucester, &c. with the consent of his son Richard, gave this church to the priory of St. Neot's in Huntingdonshire, for the health of the souls of his ancestors, and Thomas Bishop of Norwich confirmed it, to take place on the death of Roger de Elmham, then rector; dated at the Bishop's manor of Eccles, in the sixth year of his pontificate, on St. John Baptist day. (fn. 10)
Here was a pension issuing out of the church belonging to the priory and college of Stoke Clare in Suffolk of 40s. in 1428, and granted to Robert Earl of Sussex, Ao. 28 Henry VIII. and, at this time, 5l. per ann. pension is paid by the rector to the Lord Walpole. —Gilbert de Clare, who lived in the reign of William II. is said to grant the tithes of his manors in Norfolk to the said priory.
There were anciently in this church these arms: Ermine, three lions couchant, gules, impaling Lovell. Argent and azure, lozengy; on every lozenge, azure, a flower-de-lis, or, on a canton, gules, a star of eight points, or.
Belonging to this town of Barton. In the hamlet of Barton-Eastmore, was a chapel, which Bartholomew de Brancaster, son of Peter de Branncestre, gave by deed, sans date, with his body to the abbey of West-Derham, (which, by the said deed, seems to have been well endowed) to find two canons of that house to pray there for his soul, and the souls of his parents, &c. for ever, at the appointment of that abbot and convent.
—Sciant p'sentes et futi. qd. ego Bartholomeus fil. Petri de Branncestre, concessi et dedi, et hâc meâ p'senti chartâ confirmavi p. salute aie. mee p. aiáb; p'lis et matris mee, et omni. p'entu. meoru. et omni. fidel. defunctor. Deo et abbat. et conventui Ste. Marie de Derha. cu. corpore meo capella. Sti. Johis. Bapt. in Marisco de Bertona constita. cu. oib; terr. toft. homagiis suis, a me e'ptis. et adquisitis in villa de Bertona, et de Eastmore et in campis Sti. Winwaloi cu. oib; p'tin. et libertat. suis et servit. Johis. de Nerburgi de terr. qu. tenuit de me in villa de Ilketeshale, vid; messuag. meu. cu. oib; terr. arabilib; et inarabilib; et cu. hominib; et servit. houm. et cu. oib; p'tin. aliis et libertat. in eadem villa de Ilketishale, et de Suth Elmham, et cu. messuag. qd. emi de Ric. de Fresingfeld cu. oib; p'tin. et - - - - in vii s. pratis et pascuis semitis, et exitib; cu. oib; aliis rebus ad dcm. tenementu. in utraq; villa spectantib; sine aliquo retinemento, salvis s'vit. d'noru. feodoru. in lib'am. pura. et p'petua. elemosina hnd. et tened. scil. ad sustentationem duor. canonicoru. de domo de Derham qi. in dca. capella de Bertona p. salute aie. mee et p'ent. meoru. et o'ium. fideliu. defunctor. in p'petuu. divina celebrabunt quos Dci. Abb. et Conventus ibm. ordinabunt et instituent. Et ut hœc mea donatio in p'petuu. firma sit et stabilis eam p'senti scripto et sigilli impositione roboravi. (fn. 11)
In this deed, this chapel is called the chapel of St. John Baptist, and was in the patronage, &c. of Derham abbey; but in all the institution books at Norwich, I find it called the chapel of St. Mary, and not to be in the patronage of that abbey; so that probably the foundation was afterwards altered, and it was settled otherwise.
1314, Henry de Swaffham, by John Lovell.
1345, William Atcross of Swaffham, on the resignation of Henry Attcross; presented by John Lovell of Berton Bendish.
1377, Roger Baxster, presented by Walter Baldwyn, rector of St. Mary, Barton, Nicholas Trussbut, William de Narburgh, and John, son of William Styward of Watlington.
1393, Ralf Fitz-Gerard of East Walton, (he was rector of Barton, St. Mary, and exchanged with Baxster,) presented by William de Narburgh, John de Fyncham, and Nicholas Trussbut de Schuldham, and John Chenery.
1398, Thomas Smith, presented by William de Narburgh, &c.
1402, William Barton; he was rector of St. Mary the Less at Walyngford, in the diocese of Salisbury, and exchanged with Stanford, presented by Thomas Lovell, Esq.
1411, William Berneston, by Thomas Lovell, Esq. he had the church of Babbeworth, in the diocese of York, and exchanged with Burton: this Berneston is styled, Primam habens tonsuriam Clericalem, on his institution here.
1412, Thomas Cryshale, presented by Thomas Lovell, Esq.; he was afterwards rector of St. Andrew, Barton.
1426, Thomas Ledlady, on the resignation of Cryshale; he was rector of North Lynn, and exchanged with Cryshale: this Ledlady was rector of Barton, St. Andrew, (and of Downham Hithe, Norfolk,) presented by Thomas Lovell, Esq.
1427, Richard Cutts, instituted by the free chapel or chantry of St. Mary in Eastmore, on the resignation of Ledlady, the last custos or chaplain, by Thomas Lovell, Esq.
1428, John Cacheroo, on the resignation of Cutts, (he was rector of Bekeswell, Norfolk, and exchanged with Cutts,) by Tho. Lovell, Esq.
After this, I find no institution to this chapel in the Register Books of Norwich. The last custos, on the dissolution of this chapel, in the 1st of Edward VI. was William Dicons, who was alive in 1553, and held then an annual pension of 3l. 7s. 6d. I find a messuage and 30 acres of land, to have belonged to it.—At the suppression, it was granted to Sir Thomas Woodhouse of Woxham, (fn. 12) and turned into a farm-house, having some additional buildings. It is still called the Chapel-house; part of the chapel, at the east end of the house, still remains, as appears by the old roof.
St. Mary's Church stands at the west end of the town, and was beat down by the fall of the tower, in the reign of Queen Anne, and is rebuilt of the old materials; it is a single pile about 24 feet long, and 15 broad, covered with reed, as the chancel, which is about 22 feet long, and 14 broad, without any tower.
1308, Hugh de Swaffham, presented by John Lovel. (fn. 13)
1314, Robert Lovel, presented by John Lovel.
1333, John Turpin of Folkyngham, on the resignation of Lovel, presented by John Lovel; he was vicar of Buxton in Norfolk, and exchanged with Lovel.
1335, William Lovel, presented by John Lovel.
1341, Nicholas Lovel, presented by John Lovel of Bertone.
1349, Walter Baldwin de Crymplesham, presented by John Lovel: by his will, dated on Tuesday after the feast of St. Edith the Virgin, 1387, and proved 20 April following, he desires to be buried in the churchyard of St. Mary here.
1387, Nicholas Stangrene, presented by John de Bukyngham, Robert Mosel, William de Narburgh, and Baldwin de Berton, trustees, as I take it, for Thomas Lovel.
1388, Ralph Fitz-Gerard of East Walton, by William de Narburgh, John de Fyncham, Nich. Trussbutt, Robert de Snore, and John Chenery: he was rector of Ashwyken, and exchanged with Stangrene.
1393, Roger Baxter, presented by William de Narburgh, John de Fyncham, Nicholas Trussbut, and John Chenery.
1411, Reginald Peper, presented by Thomas Lovel, Esq.
1416, William Garnet, by Thomas Lovel; he was rector of Schirford in Norfolk, and exchanged with Peper.
1416, Roger Maggus, by Thomas Lovel, Esq.
1422, John Reeve, on the resignation of Maggus, by Thomas Lovel, Esq.
1443, Robert Berton, by the Bishop, a lapse.
1445, John Brumpton, by Tho. Lovell, senior, Esq.
1446, Tho. Hecocks, priest, by Tho. Lovell, Esq. of Barton.
1458, Tho. Tyrell, on the resignation of Heacocks, by Tho. Lovell, Esq.
1462, William Connyston, on the resignation of Tyrell, by Tho. Lovell, Esq.
1465, Hugh Freeman, on the resignation of Connyston, by Tho. Lovell, Esq.
1474, John Baroughdon, on the resignation of Freeman, by Gregory Lovell, Esq.
1481, Tho. Warthyll, on the resignation of Baroughdon, by Gregory Lovell, Esq.
1496, Richard Horsman, batchelor of decrees, on the resignation of Warthyll, by Sir Gregory Lovell.
1498, William Aleyn, on the resignation of Horseman, by Sir Gregory Lovell.
1510, William Rothewell, on the death of Aleyn, by Thomas Lovell, Esq.
1518, William Lynellys, on the death of Rothewell, by Sir Thomas Lovell.
1526, Anthony Medcalf, on the resignation of the last rector, by Sir Thomas Lovell.
John Laydston, vel Ladstocke. Sir John Laydston, parson of Barton, St. Mary, dwelling there, hath a pension of 6l. per ann by reason of a certain chantry in West Lynn, Norfolk. (fn. 14) —By this it appears, and many other such like instances, that chantry priests, and other religious, were not turned out to shift for themselves, as some represent, but had pensions allowed them, and obtained besides, rectories and benefices.
1558, Henry Wilsonne, on the death of Laydston, by John Dethick, Esq. He was also rector of Bitcham-well, St. Mary.—Dns. Henr. Wilsonne, presb. conjugatus, mediocritèr doctus, non residet, non hospitalis, in rectoria de Becham-Well, St. Mary, non prœdicat, nec licentiatus, duo. (fn. 15)
1562, Edward Croft, on the death of Wilsonne, by Edmund Dethick, Esq.
1571, Robert Lawson, on the resignation of Croft, by Edmund Audley, Esq. and Edmund Dethick, Gent. guardians of Christopher Dethick.
1592, Peter Tye, on the death of Lawson, by Francis Gawdy, Esq. See in Southrey and Watlington.
1594, Barthol. Howling, by Francis Gawdy, Esq. In his answers to the King, in 1603, he says there were 28 communicants in the parish.
1614, John Collin, A. M. on the death of the last rector, by the Lord Rich.
1618, Robert Wilson, A. M. by Sir Thomas Cheek.
1644, Joseph Houlton, on the death of Wilson, by Thomas Lord Coventry, in trust for Sir John Hare, rector also of Allhallows, Barton.
1667, Nicholas Pollard, by Thomas Berney, Esq.
1698, Joseph Craske, A. M. by John Meriton, clerk.
1736, Mr. Richard Jones (the present rector) by Sir Thomas Berney, Bart.
The patronage of this rectory goes with the manor, and Sir Hanson Berney, Bart. is patron.
It is valued in the King's Books at 5l. 6s. 8d. and being in clear value but 39l. per ann. is discharged of tenths and first-fruits.
Ancient valor, 5 marks: Peter-pence, 9d.
In this church there were anciently the arms of Lovell, Edward the Confessor, Carvil, with his crest, a goat sable, horned, bearded and unguled, or.—Gul. a chevron, or, between three leopards heads, argent. Carvil, azure, a cross . . . . . fitché between . . cinquefoils, argent. . . . three lozenges ermine, in a bordure, ingrailed argent, Haltoft.—Carvile sideth sable, . . . piles argent, . . . . . Carvile sideth azure, a cross, bud'd fitchè int. three cinquefoils, argent.—Carvile sideth, three lozenges ermine, in a bordure, argent.—Carvile and Bedingfeld.—Carvile and Asteley, azure, a cinquefoil pierced, ermine, in a bordure ingrailed, argent; a fess, gobony, or, and gules, over all a lion rampant sab. crowned gules.—Ufford and Beak quarterly.—Gawsell and Bekeswell, —Or, and azure barrè of 6, a canton, ermine, and in chief a coronet, sable, Gawsell.—Beding field and Tudenham—Shouldham and Narburgh.—Bossome, or, three birdbolts gules, nook'd and pointed, or, a label, gules.—Syliard, arg. a chevron, gules, between three phæons, sable. —Castle, argent, three castles triple towered gules; argent, six ogresses, and a bordure, ingrailed gules. (fn. 16)
All-Saints. This church stands between the churches of St. Mary and St. Andrew, in Barton, and is built of flint and boulder; an ancient pile, supported by buttresses of brick; of a body, or isle, in length about 47 feet, and in breadth about 16; the top is camerated and impanelled with wainscoat, and covered with reed. Here seems to have been a little chapel on the north side of it, by the pillars, &c. This body or nave is separated by a screen from the chancel, which is about 31 feet in length and about 16 in breadth, and covered with thatch.
In the north window here is, gules, six escallops, argent, Lord Scales; and, in the upper window, on the south side, argent, on a bend, sable, three cross crosslets, fitchè of the first, Caston:
Here were anciently the arms of Lord Bardolf, the Earl of Clare siding or, a cross gules, in a bordure sab. Burgh Earl of Ulster.
At the west end of the nave is a four square tower of flint, &c. and quoins of free stone, embattled with brick. In this tower hang three large ancient bells. On the tenor,—Sit Nomen Domini Benedictum, and two shields;—on one shield, two keys in saltire, between a dolphin embowed, a wheatsheaf, a bell, and a lamp, probably to represent the four elements.—On another shield, a quadrangular cross florette.—On the second bell, are the same shields, and Sancta Catherina Ora Nobis.—On the treble, the same shields, and Vox Augustini sonet in Aure Dei. The ancients used inscriptions on their bells; —Montfaucon mentions one with a Greek inscription, but in Latin characters; CHOVS. ARTEMIS. EPHESTION. AER. MENI. that is [Greek text - see page 285]. (fn. 17) He makes [chous] to signify the earth, but it rather signifies water.—Bells in the Romish church were, and are, baptized, and have their godfatathers and godmothers, and more ceremonies are then used, than at the baptism of a Christian.
Juga, sister, or wife rather, of Ralph Bainard, lord of this town, founded 1004, the priory of Dunmow in Essex, which her son Jeffrey enjoyed; but William Lord Bainard, on his rebellion in the reign of Henry I. was deprived; whether any of these gave the patronage of this church to the priory, does not appear. In the 13th of Edward I. a patent was granted to the convent of this advowson, (fn. 18) most likely by the Lord Fitz-Walter. In that year there was a suit between the prior and Edmund de Leen, and Richard de Jovene, concerning the patronage, and Edward released his right to the prior.
1325, John Clare, presented by the prior and convent of Dunemawe.
1342, Walter de Thaxtede, by the prior, &c.
1360, Phil. de West Wratting. Ditto.
1369, John Chinery de Clare, by the prior, &c.
1394, John Dunmow, by the prior, &c.
1395, Robert de Peterburgh, by the prior, &c.
1399, Laurence Styward, by the prior, &c. He was vicar of Gaysely in Cambridgeshire, and exchanged with Peterborough. This Styward was also vicar of Swaffham priory in Cambridgeshire. First fruits then 9 marks.
1413, William Bulwer, on the death of Styward, by the prior, &c. By his will dated 11th of June, 1431, and proved the 27th of the said month, he desires to be buried in the middle of the chancel of this church.
1431, Thomas Wygenhale, on the death of Bulwer, by the prior, &c.
1443, Robert Cattesson. Ditto.
1460, John Torkesey, on the resignation of Catesson, by the prior, &c.
1462, Simon Furbusher, on the resignation of Torkesey Ditto.
1482, Peter Newman, on the death of Furbusher, by the prior &c.
1500, John Lyster, on the resignation of Newman, Ditto.
1533, Robert Talbot, on the death of the last rector. Ditto.
1554, Henry Gardyner, presented by Henry Earl of Sussex. The patronage of this church, on the dissolution of the priory of Dunmow, was given, 28th Henry VIII. to Robert Ratcliff Earl of Sussex; (fn. 19) as also the pension belonging to the said priory out of this rectory, valued, in 1428, at 50s. and died seized of the same.—Gardiner was deprived in 1555, being a secular married priest.
1556, John Fayrhawr, alias Farrar, batchelor of decrees, by Henry Earl of Sussex; rector also of St. Andrew in Barton; Dns. Johs. Farrar, presb. non conjugatus, satis doctus, non residet, non hospitalis, in rectoriâ suâ de Barton Andreâ, non prœdicat, nec licentiatus, duo.
1585, Edmund Jones, A. M. rector also of St. Andrew's. About this time, I find in a MSS. that this church was not at that time seized. In 1603, he certified to the King, that there were 56 communicants in this parish; and was buried in the chancel of the church.
1616, Rowland Wilson, A. M. presented by the King.
1625, Robert Wilson, by Robert Earl of Sussex; rector also of St. Mary.
1644, Joseph Houlton, on the death of Wilson, by Ralph Eltonhed, Esq.
1658, William Sheldrake, rector also of St. Mary.
1698, Joseph Crask, A. M. on the death of the last rector, by John Meridon, clerk; rector also of St. Mary; buried in the chancel.
1736, Rev. Mr. Richard Jones, rector.
This church is valued in the King's Books at 5l. 13s. 4d but being in clear value but 39l. per ann. is discharged of tenths and first fruits; old valor, 9 marks: Peter-pence 10d.—The patronage was in the late And. Taylor, and now in William Folkes, Esq.
The pension of the priory of Dunmow in this church was 50s.— The regulars, in the time of Popery, to depress the seculars, when they got the advowson of a church, would not present a priest, but on a simoniacal contract of a pension, a grievance after complained of, but never remedied.