A History of the County of Berkshire: Volume 3. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1923.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE HUNDRED OF RIPPLESMERE
CONTAINING THE PARISHES OF
The hundred of Ripplesmere formed one of the Seven Hundreds of Cookham and Bray. (fn. 1) In 1086 it included, besides the places mentioned above, the township of Warfield, (fn. 2) afterwards added to Wargrave Hundred (q.v.), and the unidentified township of Ortone. (fn. 3) New Windsor appears never to have been within the jurisdiction of Ripplesmere Hundred. In 1316 New Windsor was returned as a borough, and the hundred of Ripplesmere consisted of Easthampstead, Winkfield and Ascot, Clewer and Dedworth, and Old Windsor. (fn. 4)