A History of the County of Buckingham: Volume 1. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1905.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
HOUSE OF KNIGHTS TEMPLARS
18. THE PRECEPTORY OF BULSTRODE
All that is known of the preceptory of Bulstrode is that it certainly existed in 1276, for in that year Brother John, the preceptor, was accused of taking a bribe of half a mark from a certain robber to let him go free. (fn. 1) An inquisition taken in the year 1330 reported that the manor of Bulstrode had once formed part of the lands of the Templars, and after the annulling of their order passed to the Hospitallers. (fn. 2) It is mentioned again among the lands of the Hospitallers in 1338, but they never had a commandery there: the manor was simply leased on their behalf for 75 marks. (fn. 3) The Templars had also lands at Radnage (fn. 4) and at High Wycombe. (fn. 5)