A History of the County of Buckingham: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1908.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In this section
THE THREE HUNDREDS OF AYLESBURY
(RISBOROUGH, STONE, AYLESBURY)
Containing The Parishes of Bledlow with Bledlow Ridge; Horsenden; Risborough, Monks; Risborough, Princes
Containing The Parishes of Cuddington; Dinton with Ford and Upton; Haddenham; Hampden, Great; Hampden, Little; Hartwell; Kimble, Great; Kimble, Little; Stone
Containing the Parishes of Aston Clinton; Bierton with Broughton; Buckland; Ellesborough; Halton; Hulcott; Lee; Missenden, Great; Missenden, Little; Stoke Mandeville; Weston Turville (fn. 1); Aylesbury with Walton; Wendover
The county of Buckingham was divided into eighteen hundreds at the time of Domesday Survey. At the close of the 13th century, however, they had become consolidated into eight groups of three hundreds. (fn. 2) Of the older divisions, the Hundreds of Aylesbury, Risborough, and Stone formed the Three Hundreds of Aylesbury, containing twenty-seven parishes. (fn. 3)
Practically no change has taken place in the bounds of the Three Hundreds since Domesday Book, but the parishes of Cuddington, Little Hampden, Hulcott, and Lee are not named in the Survey. (fn. 4) Marlow, however, seems to have been included under the Hundred of Stone in the entry of Walter de Vernon's lands, but this was probably merely an omission of the heading of Desborough Hundred, (fn. 5) since elsewhere in the Survey Marlow is placed in the last-mentioned hundred. (fn. 6) The Liberty of Brand's Fee in Aylesbury Hundred is in the parish of Hughenden in Desborough Hundred (q.v.).
The Hundred of Risborough contained the four parishes of Bledlow, Horsenden, Monks Risborough, and Princes Risborough. The parishes contained in the other two hundreds varied, however, at different times; in 1316 the Hundred of Aylesbury contained Aston Clinton, Aylesbury, Buckland, Broughton and Hulcott, Ellesborough, Halton, Great Missenden, Little Missenden, Stoke Mandeville with Hallinge, Wendover, and Weston Turville. (fn. 7) The Hundred of Stone at the same date contained Dinton, Haddenham with Cuddington, Great Hampden, Hartwell and Little Hampden, Great Kimble, Little Kimble, Stone, and Upton. (fn. 8) Dinton parish spread into the two Hundreds of Desborough and Ashendon, the liberty of Moreton being in the former and Aston Mullins and Walldridge in the latter hundred.