A History of the County of Buckingham: Volume 3. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1925.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Hochestone (xi cent.); Hoggescheston (xii cent.); Hogestone (xiii cent.); Hoguston (xiv cent.); Hogson, Hodgson (xvii cent.).
The parish of Hoggeston comprises 1,571 acres, including 96 acres of arable land, on which wheat and beans are grown, and 1,427 acres of permanent grass. (fn. 1) The village stands on gravel and the subsoil is of Kimmeridge Clay. The average elevation is 400 ft. above the ordnance datum, and the land is watered by a small stream which forms the western boundary. The village, which is small and compact, lies towards the north of the parish. The church with the rectory house adjacent, a plain three-storied brick house built in 1784, is situated near the east end of the village, and both are inclosed by an earthwork, which probably defended the original settlement. There are two ponds within the entrenchment and one just outside the eastern ditch. (fn. 2)
The manor-house, the residence of Mr. Blick Morris, is a brick building of two stories with an attic and a tiled roof. It dates probably from the early part of the 17th century, and was possibly built by Robert Dormer, later created Earl of Carnarvon, who succeeded to the manor in 1616. Apparently it was originally of L-shaped plan with a staircase wing in the angle, but in the 18th century the south arm of the L was continued in a westerly direction. There has been a good deal of modern alteration and addition to the house. The main south front has a large projecting chimney stack built up the centre of a curvilinear gable and surmounted by a diagonal shaft between two square shafts. The original entrance has been mutilated but on either side is a 17th-century casement window. On the north front the former entrance now forms a window; it retains its pediment, which has, however, been plastered. One original casement remains. The east side has a central gable, on either side of which is a large chimney stack with diagonal shafts, both of which have been strengthened by modern buttresses. All except two of the original windows have been altered or blocked. The cornice to the building and the bases to the chimney shafts are interesting examples of moulded brickwork. The house retains its original staircase and some panelling, and the dairy in the north wing, formerly the hall, has an old plaster ceiling.
The village also contains several 16th- and 17thcentury timber-framed cottages considerably altered.
Before the Conquest Almer, a man of Bundi the staller, held 7 hides of land in HOGGESTON as one manor. A man of the Abbess of Barking held 1 hide, and a man of Eddeva the Fair held 2½ virgates. By 1086 these consolidated holdings were held of William Fitz Ansculf de Picquigny or Pinkney. (fn. 3)
Hoggeston afterwards formed part of the honour of Dudley, (fn. 4) following the descent of the manor of Newport Pagnell (q.v.) until 1323 when it was vested in Joan Botetourt, sister and co-heir of John de Somery. (fn. 5) It was later acquired by Joan Beauchamp, of whom the manor was held in 1426 as of her castle of Wylye, (fn. 6) but by 1574 had passed to the Crown, (fn. 7) being last mentioned in 1616. (fn. 8)
In 1086 Payn held Hoggeston in demesne, (fn. 9) and by the 13th century it had passed to Sir William Brian. (fn. 10) He married the sister of Sir John Marshall, and gave Hoggeston to his brother-in-law in exchange for other lands. (fn. 11) Sir John Marshall held Hoggeston in 1226, (fn. 12) but was dead by 1235, in which year Lady Amice Brian, probably his sister, was in possession. (fn. 13) Fourteen years later it had passed to William de Birmingham, who died c. 1263, (fn. 14) when his widow Maud sued her son William for her dower. (fn. 15) William was slain at the battle of Evesham while fighting against the king. (fn. 16) He left a son William and a widow Isabel, (fn. 17) who married Peter de Chalons. (fn. 18)
Hoggeston was granted by the king to Hamo (or Roger) Lestrange, by whom between a third and a quarter of the manor was given to Peter de Chalons as the dower of Isabel. (fn. 19) In 1278 Peter complained that his warren had been entered, his bailiff killed, and he himself wounded. (fn. 20) Isabel died about 1284 when her dower escheated to the king. (fn. 21) Peter de Chalons, however, recovered his right to the same, but in 1285 renounced his claim in favour of William de Birmingham, Isabel's son, (fn. 22) who seems to have obtained the rest of his father's lands at an earlier period. (fn. 23) A William de Birmingham, probably identical with the above, was in possession of Hoggeston from 1302 to 1322 (fn. 24) and made a settlement of it in 1324. (fn. 25) William was still alive on 1 July 1342, (fn. 26) but by 1346 Hoggeston had passed to his son Fulk, (fn. 27) who conveyed it to trustees in the following year. (fn. 28) Fulk was still alive in 1358, (fn. 29) but by 1376 he had been succeeded by his son John, (fn. 30) still alive in 1383. (fn. 31) John died without issue, (fn. 32) and Hoggeston passed to his uncle William, (fn. 33) whose grandson and heir William was living in 1412. (fn. 34) It was probably the same William who died in 1426 leaving a son William, aged twenty. (fn. 35) His descendant, another William, held the manor until his death in 1490 when it descended to his grandson Edward, (fn. 36) his son and heir Nicholas by his wife Agnes Tomson being then dead. (fn. 37) During Edward's minority Hoggeston was committed to the Bishop of Durham, (fn. 38) but when he came of age Edward sued Margaret Hall, then wife of Walter Bulstrode, and previously bigamously married to his grandfather William Birmingham, for the deeds of the manor. (fn. 39) He appears to have failed in his suit, as Margaret Bulstrode, then a widow, and her son and heir Henry Birmingham were holding in 1528. (fn. 40) It was doubtless conveyed by them to the Dormers of Wing, as in 1552 Sir Robert Dormer died seised of it, (fn. 41) as also of Grove Manor (q.v.) (fn. 42) with which Hoggeston descended until c. 1765, when it is said to have been conveyed by the Earl of Chesterfield to his kinsman Philip Stanhope, second Earl Stanhope, (fn. 43) who certainly owned it in 1774. (fn. 44) Hoggeston descended with the earldom of Stanhope until about 1873, (fn. 45) when it was sold to Miss Hannah de Rothschild. In 1878 she married the Earl of Rosebery, bringing him a large landed estate, including Hoggeston, (fn. 46) and to him it now belongs.
In 1254 William de Birmingham was granted a fair at his manor of Hoggeston. (fn. 47) On an inquiry taken in 1278–9 it was found that the fair was held on the vigil, the day and morrow of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, (fn. 48) and it was confirmed to William de Birmingham in 1334. (fn. 49) A weekly market on Friday was also granted at the latter date. (fn. 50) The market and fair are not mentioned after 1334.
In 1278–9 Peter de Chalons had a windmill at Hoggeston. (fn. 51)
In 1250 William de Birmingham received a grant of free warren in Hoggeston, (fn. 52) which was entered in 1278 when Hugh de Chalons was killed. (fn. 53) This charter was not produced when the right of free warren was questioned in 1279. (fn. 54) A confirmation was obtained in 1282, (fn. 55) and in 1616 'park, free park' and free warren were granted to Robert Lord Dormer in Hoggeston. (fn. 56)
The church of SS. PETER AND PAUL (fn. 57) consists of a chancel 22 ft. by 16 ft. 6 in., nave 45 ft. by 16 ft., north aisle 9 ft. 6 in. wide, south aisle 9 ft. wide, a north porch and a north-west bell-turret.
The building dates from the 12th century, when it probably consisted of the present nave and a chancel. The south aisle appears to have been added in the 13th century, but some authorities give its date as 1342, from the evidence of the tomb supposed to be that of Sir William de Birmingham mentioned hereafter. The north aisle was added and the chancel probably rebuilt during the 14th century, and in the 15th century the south aisle was apparently lengthened, the window and doorway inserted in the west wall of the nave, and the north porch added. The timber framing which supports the bell-turret is probably of late 15th-century date. In 1882 the church was restored and the chancel entirely rebuilt.
The walls are of limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, and both have been a good deal repaired with a stone of a deep brown colour. The chancel walls retain a good deal of old material, including some fragments of a 12th-century string-course, and a roughly scratched finger-dial. Built into the north wall of the north aisle is a carved face, probably a label stop, of 14th or 15th-century date. The roofs are tiled, except those of the aisles, which are covered with lead.
The chancel arch is of 14th-century date, two-centred and of two chamfered orders, the outer of which is continuous and the inner broken at the springing line by moulded capitals. It has moulded bases. The soffit of the arch retains the grooves cut for the tympanum above the former rood beam, and the centres of the capitals have also been cut away for this purpose. All the other details of the chancel are modern.
The nave has a north arcade of three bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders, springing from octagonal piers with capitals similar to those of the chancel arch and with chamfered bases. The east respond is semi-octagonal and similarly treated, but at the west end the outer order of the arch is continuous in the jambs, while the inner is carried on a crudely carved head corbel. At the east end of the south wall is a doorway which gave access to the rood-loft. West of this is an arcade of two bays with two-centred arches chamfered on the edges. The centre pier is circular with a moulded base and capital and a flat octagonal abacus. In the spandrel between the arches the inner jambs and arch of a 12th-century blocked window still remain. At the west end of the wall is a two-centred 15th-century arch of two chamfered orders, the outer of which is continuous, while the inner dies on to square jambs. The blocked west doorway is also of 15thcentury date and has a four-centred arch within a rectangular outer order with carved spandrels. The inner jambs are probably those of an earlier doorway. The window above is of the same century, but restored; it is of three trefoiled lights in a two-centred head.
The north aisle has a 14th-century east window, much restored, of two trefoiled ogee lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head. Two similar windows in the north wall have been largely renewed. Between them is a doorway of the same period with moulded jambs and a two-centred head. The south aisle has an east window similar to, but probably later than, the east window of the north aisle, and also much restored. Built into the wall to the north of the window is a plain chamfered stone bracket. In the north wall, east of the arcade, is the lower doorway to the rood-loft stair, with a fourcentred head. The south wall has a window near the east end similar to those in the north aisle, also much restored, and to the east of it is a small 14th-century piscina with a trefoiled ogee head. Near the west end of the wall is a small trefoilheaded lancet, probably of late 13th-century date, much restored. It may originally have been in the west wall of the aisle and moved when the aisle was lengthened. Between the windows is a doorway with continuously-moulded jambs and two-centred head, probably of 15th-century date. The north porch has a 15th-century two-centred outer archway. In the east wall is a small rectangular window, and along each side a stone seat, one stone of that on the east side having a carved enrichment along the edge and being probably not in its original position. Built into the west wall is a crudely carved stone cross.
The framing for the bell turret, which stands in the west end of the north aisle, has massive corner posts, the eastern pair of which have curved struts on the east side. The intermediate posts are smaller and carry pairs of curved braces.
The roofs of the chancel, nave and north aisle are modern, but that of the south aisle retains two old tie-beams with ornamented sunk soffits supported from the outer wall by similarly ornamented struts. In the roof of the north porch are two 15th-century moulded and cambered tie-beams, and the moulded and embattled wall plates are of the same period.
On the north side of the chancel, in a modern recess, is a recumbent effigy of a man in a long pleated gown. His hands hold the model of a building and his feet rest on the figure of a dog. The effigy is supposed to be that of Sir William de Birmingham (or Bemingham), who founded a chantry in the church, and died in 1342. On the south wall of the south aisle is a brass with an inscription to Thomas Mayne, who had issue by his wife Elizabeth four sons and two daughters, and who died in 1608. In the east end of the south aisle is an elaborate altar tomb to Elizabeth Mayne, daughter of Francis Blythe and wife of Joseph Mayne of Creslow. The front is divided into three panels, in the middle panel is an inscription, and in the others are cartouches with the arms of Mayne and of Mayne impaling Blythe. Each end has a panel with a similar cartouche, that on the south end containing a lozenge with the arms of Blythe. The lozenge from the cartouche on the north end is now missing. The top slab, which is of Purbeck marble, may possibly be an old altar slab.
There are slabs to Thomas Mayne, 1659 (north aisle), Charles Gataker, formerly rector, 1680, and Elizabeth wife of William Mayne, 1695 (south aisle), and others of the 18th century to the families of Mayne, Reynolds, Gataker and Tatham.
The font is probably of 15th-century date, and has an octagonal bowl with a moulded lower edge and a moulded base.
The pulpit dates probably from about 1700. It has bolection moulded panels and a moulded cornice and base.
An object of interest which is preserved in the church is an old 'tussock.' It resembles a hassock in shape and size, but is formed of a thick slab of dried peaty soil covered with rushy grass.
There are three bells and a sanctus; the treble, inscribed 'a trusty frende is harde to' (sic) 1585 (or 1583), is probably by Robert Newcombe and Bartholomew Atton; the second, probably by John White, bears the letters or initials 'a, H, W'; the tenor is by Anthony Chandler, 1669. The sanctus is blank.
The communion plate includes a cup and cover paten of 1569; a flagon of 1683; and a large unmarked paten inscribed 'Deo et ecclesiae Hogiston CGR, DD.'
The registers before 1812 are as follows; (i) baptisms and burials 1547 to 1774, marriages 1547 to 1753; (ii) marriages 1755 to 1812; (iii) baptisms and burials 1775 to 1812.
The church is first mentioned in 1226, (fn. 58) when it was appendant to the manor, with which the advowson descended until 1798, (fn. 59) when it was sold to Worcester College, Oxford. (fn. 60) This college still possesses the patronage. The living is a rectory.
In 1897 Robert Baylis, by his will proved at London 16 January, devised two inclosures of land at Newton Longville and Bletchley, which the testator directed to be sold within one year after his decease, and the income of the trust fund to be divided at Christmas among six aged poor. The trust fund consists of £149 6s. 6d. consols with the official trustees, producing £3 14s. 8d. yearly, which is duly applied.