A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 10, Cheveley, Flendish, Staine and Staploe Hundreds (North-Eastern Cambridgeshire). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2002.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In the late 13th century no lords claimed any franchises at Landwade. Although no court rolls or court books survive, copyhold and freehold transactions were almost certainly dealt with by the manorial court both during the Middle Ages and in the 16th and 17th centuries.
The sum spent by the parish on poor relief increased from £13 in 1775 to £42 in 1802, and then to £54 in 1813. Expenditure had risen to £125 by 1832, but then declined to c. £100 in 1833-4. (fn. 1) All relief at Landwade was out-relief: in 1804 regular out-relief was only given to two adults and two children. In 1813 twelve people were receiving out-relief, and by 1815 it had fallen to ten persons. Although the amount spent on each pauper trebled c. 1776-1832, that expenditure was still far beneath the average for Staploe hundred. From 1836 onwards Landwade was included in the Newmarket poor-law union. (fn. 2)
In 1954 the parish was transferred from Newmarket rural district to East Cambridgeshire rural district being incorporated into Fordham parish, which in 1999 was part of the Fenland villages sub-district. (fn. 3) In the late 19th and 20th centuries there has been no parish council at Landwade, but the parish council of St. Martin's and St. Philip's, Exning, took an interest in the affairs of Landwade in the late 20th century. In 1999 the police station at Soham was responsible for law and order.