A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 10, Cheveley, Flendish, Staine and Staploe Hundreds (North-Eastern Cambridgeshire). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2002.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 1669 a carpenter accommodated a conventicle attended by over 50 people, half from Quy parish, mostly of 'the meaner sort'; it was apparently served by Joseph Oddy and others of Cambridgeshire's leading Independent ministers. A meeting was licensed in 1672, (fn. 1) but only 11 adult dissenters were reported in Quy in 1676. (fn. 2) Four 'Presbyterians' were reported in 1728, (fn. 3) but there was no meeting house in the late 18th or early 19th century. A house was registered for dissenting worship in 1839. (fn. 4) In 1840 the Wesleyan Methodists built at Stow End a simple chapel, of grey brick with round-headed windows, (fn. 5) which had in 1851 c. 130 sittings, half free, and drew 60-100 people to its afternoon and evening services. (fn. 6) By 1873 a preacher from Cambridge regularly taught there. There were 30 Methodists in 1897. (fn. 7) The chapel was in regular use, though its congregation dwindled, until the late 1940s. The building was demolished in the early 1970s. (fn. 8)