A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1948.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
34. THE HOSPITAL OF WISBECH
Five cottages and 5 acres of land were assigned by the community of Wisbech for the support of sick persons. (fn. 1) As there is no trace of any inquisition or licence to alienate, it is probable that the foundation of this hospital took place before the first Act of Mortmain (1279). By 1334 the patronage was in the hands of the Bishop of Ely, and between that date and 1352 six collations to the wardenship of St. John's Hospital at Wisbech are recorded. It may, however, be doubted whether there was still a real hospital even in 1334; certainly it had ceased to exist by 1352, when the property was taken into the king's hand on the ground that the hospital was entirely waste and perished. (fn. 2) In 1375 the estate was granted to John Franceys, groom of the kitchen, to hold so long as it remained in the king's hands. (fn. 3)
William Custhorp, resigned 23 Jan. 1335 (fn. 4)
John Wardrober of Lynn, resigned 15 Apr. 1342 (fn. 5)
John de Weston, collated 22 Oct. 1343 (fn. 6)
Ralph de Irtlynburgh of Ringsted, collated 13 Aug. 1349, exchanged with Robert de Gedyngton, 29 Aug. 1349 (fn. 7)
Thomas de Wormenhale, collated 23 Jan. 1350 (fn. 8)
Edward de Cugenho, collated 13 March 1353 (fn. 11)