A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 9, Chesterton, Northstowe, and Papworth Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1989.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Robert de Lisle held the view of frankpledge and the assize of bread and of ale in 1279. (fn. 1) Court rolls and books survive for 1571-8, 1631-5, and 1678-1909, dealing with tenurial and agricultural matters. (fn. 2) The manor had a hayward in 1543-4, (fn. 3) a field reeve and a fen reeve in 1578, (fn. 4) and four field and fen reeves by the 1630s. (fn. 5) Tenurial business remained heavy and agricultural bylaws were regularly drawn up or amended until inclosure.
In 1776 the parish may have been lodging six paupers in a cottage. (fn. 6) At the beginning of the 19th century the poor rate was close to the average for the hundred and the county, but Rampton was one of only two parishes in Northstowe that consistently spent more than £1 a year for each head of population throughout the years 1801-34. Expenditure peaked at £319 in 1832. (fn. 7)