A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 9, Chesterton, Northstowe, and Papworth Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1989.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Charities for the poor
By the early 18th century (fn. 1) Boxworth had a parish stock reckoned at £40 in 1728 and c. £44 later, derived from bequests for the poor since the 1630s. They included £2 and £10 from the rectors John Boys (d. 1644) and James Duport (d. 1679), £10 from Sir John Cutts (d. 1670), (fn. 2) perhaps paid over c. 1690, and £12 from local men, including in the 1660s Mr. Shewer and Edward Cuthbert, after whom the charity was later named. By the 1780s and until after 1837, the stock, reduced to £35, was deposited with the lord of the manor, and the interest at 4 per cent given in bread. The farmer Robert Underwood (d. 1792) left £10 for the same purpose. The income fell by 8s. between 1815 and the 1830s to £2 6s. 8d., which a Thornhill tenant then gave indiscriminately every four years. By 1860 it was only £1 9s., given in cash, (fn. 3) as was the £3 12s. income in the 1960s. Two rectors' widows, Catherine Thornhill by will proved 1876 and Emma Frances Smith by will proved 1928 left £100 and £200 respectively, to provide coal for the poor at Christmas, Mrs. Smith giving preference to widows. The income, c. £12, was still given in coal in the mid 20th century. (fn. 4)