A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 9, Chesterton, Northstowe, and Papworth Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1989.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In the 1650s the Fen Stanton Baptist church had four members at Boxworth, including Henry Smith and his wife who proved backsliders. (fn. 1) Dissenters were occasionally reported from the late 18th century, (fn. 2) including three or four families in 1807 (fn. 3) and two in 1885 whose adult members attended the Elsworth Baptist chapel. (fn. 4) A house was registered for worship in 1811 and 1822, (fn. 5) perhaps for the Baptist congregation, whose numbers were declining by 1825. (fn. 6) The Primitive Methodists also preached at Boxworth c. 1823. (fn. 7)