A History of the County of Cumberland: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1905.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
13. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. SEPULCHRE, CARLISLE
The hospital appears to have been a vigorous institution in the thirteenth century, (fn. 1) but very little is known of its later history. At a date between 1309 and 1327 John de Crosseby, 'mestre del Hospital de Seynt Nicolas dehors Kardoil,' sent a petition to the king in council on behalf of John de la More and John de Boulton, brothers of the hospitals of St. Nicholas and St. Sepulchre, about certain arrearages due to the Crown from the demesne lands in the suburb of Carlisle leased to them by Henry III. (fn. 2)