A History of the County of Durham: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1907.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
27. THE HOSPITAL OF FRIARSIDE
The date of the foundation of the hospital of Friarside is unknown, but it was in existence in 1312, when the bishop collated John Eryum to 'the house, chapel, or chantry of Friarside (Frerejohanside) near Derwent.' (fn. 1) In Hatfield's Survey it is stated that the warden of the chantry of Friarside held a messuage and 22 acres of land in Wolsingham at a rent of 2s. per annum. (fn. 2) Nothing is known of its history, save the names of some of its masters, and the fact that in 1439 Bishop Neville appropriated it with all its revenues to the chantry of Farnacres. (fn. 3) The shell of its small chapel still stands in a field near Derwent. (fn. 4) In the Episcopal Registers it is usually spoken of as a hospital, but sometimes merely as a chapel or chantry.
Masters of Friarside Hospital
John Eryum, coll. 22 October, 1312 (fn. 5)
Richard de Egglescliffe, res. 1376 (?) (fn. 6)
William Thorp, coll. 11 June, 1376 (fn. 7)
Oswald, bishop of Whithern, d. 1418 (?) (fn. 8)
Robert Frend, coll. 18 June, 1418 (fn. 9)
William Cross, res. 17 May, 1422 (fn. 10)
John Gare, coll. 12 June, 1423 (sic)