A History of the County of Durham: Volume 3. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1928.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The Church estate in the parish of ST. OSWALD originally consisted of allotments on Elvet Moor, containing 4½ acres, and four burgage tenements in Hallgarth Street, which were sold in 1877 and the proceeds invested in £1,029 16s. 9d. consols, with the official trustees. The annual dividends, amounting to £25 14s. 8d., are applied in the payment of the salary of the sexton and church expenses.
In 1701 the Rev. John Cock, by his will, directed £600 to be invested in land, the income arising therefrom to be spent in teaching poor girls, in apprenticing boys, in medical aid, in clothes and money to poor, and in distribution of bibles and other religious books.
The property consisted of a farm, known as Elvet Farm, containing 44 a. 2 r., of the annual rental value of £70. The farm was sold in 1921 and the proceeds invested in £6,115 5s. 2d. 2½ per cent. consols, with the official receivers, producing £152 17s. 8d. yearly. In 1925 the net income was applied in the payment of £5 5s. to the Durham County Hospital; of £10 to St. Oswald's Schools; £2 10s. in books; £15 for medical purposes, and the balance, in money and clothing, to the poor.
Township of Elvet. In 1837 George Ashton, by will, proved at Durham 28 January, directed that stock producing £100 a year should be transferred to trustees, the income to be divided annually among eight poor women. The endowment now consists of £3,713 4s. consols, in the names of the administrating trustees. The annual dividends, amounting to £92 16s. 4d., are divided equally among eight poor and aged widows.
Croxdale St. Bartholomew. The charity of Charles Attwood, founded by will, proved London, 31 March 1875, is regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners, 7 April 1909. The endowment, originally an annuity of £25, is now represented, with accumulations, by £1,251 14s. 8d. consols, with the official trustees, producing £31 5s. 8d. yearly. The income is applied for the benefit of poor of Croxdale St. Bartholomew, as follows: Subscriptions to any dispensary, hospital, etc.; any provident club for the supply of coal, clothing, etc.; contributions towards provision of nurses for sick and infirm; and in supply of clothes, linen, bedding, fuel, tools, medical aid, food, and other articles in kind.
The St. Margaret Church estate is derived from ancient tenements, and allotments of land made in respect thereof, on the inclosure of Crossgate and Framwellgate Moors.
The property now consists of 12 a. 3 r. 33 p. of land situate in Crossgate and Framwellgate Moors, producing £46 3s., and £5,387 10s. 5d. 5 per cent. War Stock, producing £269 7s. 6d. yearly, with the official trustees, arising from sales of land from time to time, representing a gift, in 1885, by James John Wilkinson.
The income of the charity is applied in the maintenance and repair of the church.
In 1704 John Hutchinson, by will, proved at Durham, gave 52s. yearly to be distributed in bread to 12 poor people every Sunday attending divine service. This charge issued out of two houses in Framwellgate Street. £2 2s. is received from the owners in respect of two houses in Framwellgate Street. 10s. has for many years been paid by the churchwardens.
The poor also receive a rent charge of 20s., mentioned in the parliamentary returns of 1786 as charged upon an estate at Alwent. The annuity is paid by the Earl of Strathmore.
In 1782 Catherine Andrews, by her will, gave £100 for the poor. The legacy was, with a sum of £12 12s., given in 1739 by the Rev. John Simon, invested in £200 consols, now held by the official trustees, producing £5 yearly. The income is distributed monthly in small sums to the poor.
In 1799 Robert White, by his will, bequeathed £10, the interest to be distributed to the poor of South Street. The principal sum is in the hands of the rector and churchwardens of St. Margaret's, by whom 10s. a year is distributed in respect of this charity.