A History of the County of Essex: Volume 4, Ongar Hundred. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1956.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CHARITIES (fn. 1)
For Church Lands Charity see above, Church. Jonathan Carver, citizen and clothworker of London, (fn. 2) by will dated 1699, left £5, issuing from lands at Moreton End (fn. 3) in trust for the poor of Moreton. In 1834 blankets and clothing were given to all the poor families in proportion to their size. In 1949 the income, which was paid out of five separate properties, was spent together with Brecknock's, Wilson's, and Talbot's charities for the poor, in £32 worth of vouchers for seventeen persons in varying amounts.
Anne Brecknock, by will dated 1804, left £200 stock for the upkeep of her grave and for quarterly distribution to the poor of the parish. The first purpose was void by the rule against perpetuities. The income was spent with that of Carver's Charity in 1834 and 1949.
William Wilson, Rector of Moreton, by will proved 1822, made various legacies to the parish. That for the support of the school (see above) was much the largest; the others were £100 and £200 stock in trust for the beadle and parish clerk respectively, and £300 stock in trust for the poor. At least as late as 1933 the first two were duly paid to the clerk and beadle, but by 1947 the income of £7 10s. from both was spent in part payment of the verger's fee. The charity for the poor was distributed in 1834 and 1949 along with Carver's Charity.
William Talbot, by will proved 1894, left £200 stock, subject to a life-interest, in trust for one or two poor persons yearly, who had been resident in the parish for ten years. The legacy came into effect in 1923 and in 1925 the bench of magistrates at Chipping Ongar, who were the original administrators, were replaced by five trustees as enumerated for Carver's Charity (above). In 1949 the income was distributed with that from Carver's Charity. (fn. 4)