A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 4, the City of Gloucester. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1988.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
MODERN PARISH CHURCHES.
The growth of Gloucester in the 19th and 20th centuries was followed by the provision of churches for the new suburbs. The first, Christ Church, opened in 1823 at the Spa, was a proprietary church, unlike those erected later for the working-class suburbs. Those were financed mainly by grants and voluntary contributions and some were left incomplete for lack of funds. The Gloucester and Bristol Diocesan Church Building Association, established in 1836 to further church building in areas inhabited by the poor, helped to complete St. James and planned St. Luke, both consecrated in 1841, and was concerned with St. Matthew at Twigworth (1842) and St. Mark (1847). (fn. 1) For the increasing population of the later 19th century the churches of All Saints (1875) and St. Paul (1883) were consecrated, and St. James, St. Luke, and Barnwood church opened missions, those of St. Luke and Barnwood being superseded respectively by St. Luke the Less (1900), later St. Stephen, and Holy Trinity (1934).
The Gloucester Church Extension Society, formed to implement the recommendations of the commission appointed by the bishop in 1906, (fn. 2) provided St. Catharine (1915) and the mission church (1907) later replaced by St. Barnabas (1940). Commercial development south of the city centre led in 1934 to the closure of St. Luke and the union of the benefice with Christ Church, which was in turn united in 1979 with St. Mary de Crypt with St. John the Baptist. Suburban development east and south of the city was followed by the consecration of St. Oswald (1939), St. George (1956), and St. Aldate (1964). As in the late 19th century and early 20th those churches superseded mission churches. Other missions were organized by Holy Trinity, St. Barnabas, and Matson church. Both the Holy Trinity and Matson missions were short lived, the latter being provided in 1956 with a hall, dedicated to St. Hilda, in Red Well Road. (fn. 3)
All Saints, Lower Barton Street.
Begun in 1874 and consecrated in 1875, it was built for the west part of St. James's parish. The cost was met by subscriptions and a benefaction from the family of Thomas Hedley, first perpetual curate of St. James. (fn. 4) In 1876 the church was assigned a district chapelry and the living, which was endowed with land in lower Barton Street, (fn. 5) became a vicarage (later sometimes called a perpetual curacy) in the gift of the bishop. (fn. 6) A vicarage house built on the glebe c. 1877 (fn. 7) was replaced in the late 1950s by a new house in Derby Road. (fn. 8) The church, built of ashlar and designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott in a 14thcentury style, comprised a chancel with north vestry rooms and south aisle (later a chapel) and an aisled and clerestoried nave with south porch. (fn. 9) In 1887 the north side of the chancel and the vestry rooms were altered to take the organ and a parish room or vestry was built to the north. (fn. 10)
All Saints took over from St. James the mission room in Millbrook Street, at the corner of the later Derby Road. The room was rebuilt on a larger scale with two storeys as the Alington Victoria Hall in 1904 (fn. 11) and was leased to the city corporation for educational use in the 1960s. (fn. 12) It was demolished in the 1970s. In 1892 a mission church dedicated to the Good Shepherd was built nearby in Derby Road; the cost was borne by subscriptions and the site was given by Maria Evans. The church, a brick and timber building designed by Waller & Son, was sold in 1974 to a community of Ukrainian Catholics. (fn. 13)
Christ Church, Brunswick Square.
Begun in 1822 and consecrated in 1823, (fn. 14) it was built by the residents of the Spa. They subscribed £3,900, of which £3,200 was raised by issuing shares, to meet the cost of construction. The living, in the gift of five trustees appointed by the shareholders or proprietors, was endowed with the dividend from £300 stock and part of the pew rents. (fn. 15) It was called a perpetual curacy (later a vicarage) (fn. 16) and was worth £135 in 1856. (fn. 17) The church, which served an extraparochial area in South Hamlet and Littleworth, (fn. 18) was assigned a consolidated chapelry in 1877, and in 1878 the Ecclesiastical Commissioners endowed it with £200 a year; (fn. 19) the patronage passed to the bishop. (fn. 20) The benefice was united with St. Luke in 1934 (fn. 21) and with St. Mary de Crypt with St. John the Baptist in 1979. (fn. 22) There was no vicarage house for Christ Church in 1876 (fn. 23) and the vicar's residence in the 1920s and until 1979 was a semidetached house in Montpellier. (fn. 24) The church, built of stuccoed brick and designed in a plain neo-classical style by Thomas Rickman and Henry Hutchinson, (fn. 25) comprised small chancel, nave, and west bell turret. (fn. 26) In 1865 the chancel was enlarged and a north vestry added. At a restoration in 1883 the division between chancel and nave was moved westwards and a low stone screen erected, and the west gallery was repositioned. In 1899 and 1900 the west end was remodelled, a new front in roughcast and vermilion terracotta being added, the ceiling was given a central barrel vault, and the chancel apse was enlarged. (fn. 27) In the apse three windows were fitted with memorial glass in 1908 and the walls and ceiling were decorated in 1911. (fn. 28) Elizabeth Waring by will proved 1918 left £400 for the church fabric. (fn. 29)
Holy Trinity, Longlevens.
The church was begun in 1933 and consecrated in 1934. (fn. 30) Its origins were in a mission of Barnwood church which opened in Longlevens in 1873. The mission was supported by James Witcombe of Wellsprings, who in 1898 built and later endowed a corrugated iron church of Holy Trinity, south of Church Road. (fn. 31) In 1899 a conventional district was attached to that church, which was served by a curate of Barnwood. (fn. 32) In 1980 the building was used as a church hall. Plans for a permanent church had been adopted by 1932 when a district called Wotton St. Mary Without and centred on Longlevens was created, (fn. 33) and the living was made a perpetual curacy or vicarage in the gift of the bishop. (fn. 34) In 1939 a house in Cheltenham Road was the vicarage house (fn. 35) but later a house was built in Church Road. The church, designed by Harold Stratton-Davis in a 15th-century style, is built of brick with stone dressings and comprises a chancel with north chapel and south vestry rooms and organ chamber and an aisled nave with east flèche. (fn. 36) The main west window and the north windows of the chapel incorporate fragments of ancient stained glass from St. Luke's church which had been collected by Samuel Lysons. (fn. 37)
From 1956 a mission to the Innsworth housing estate centred on a new temporary hall, dedicated to St. Francis, in Rookery Road. (fn. 38) The mission was later served from the church of St. John the Evangelist, Churchdown, and was ended in 1970. (fn. 39) The hall was demolished.
St. Aldate, Finlay Road.
Begun in 1962 and consecrated in 1964, (fn. 40) it replaced a temporary mission church to the south, which was the church hall in 1980. The temporary church, which has timber walls, was dedicated in 1929 and was paid for from an anonymous donation. It was intended as a replacement for the 18th-century parish church of St. Aldate, the rector of which was licensed as curate-in-charge. (fn. 41) A parsonage house was built in Finlay Road in 1929. (fn. 42) In 1930 the church was given a district, formed out of the parishes of St. James, St. Paul, St. Mary de Lode, Barnwood, Hempsted, and Matson. The living, which was in the gift of the bishop, (fn. 43) was made a vicarage. (fn. 44) The permanent church, designed by Robert Potter, is built of concrete, faced externally with brick, and is trapezoidal in plan with a parabolic copper roof. It has a west porch surmounted by a skeletal spire. (fn. 45)
In 1937 a hall was built in Parry Road for a mission to a council housing estate. The hall, a brick building provided by A. J. Palmer of Fairford, was not used for services for long and in the 1960s was taken over by the city corporation. (fn. 46)
St. Barnabas, Tuffley.
Begun in 1938 and consecrated in 1940, (fn. 47) it replaced a temporary church. A school-chapel built at Tuffley in 1874 was used for services by a mission from St. Mary de Lode church. (fn. 48) The mission, which from 1882 used the new Tuffley board school, (fn. 49) was conducted from 1883 by Whaddon church and from 1885 by St. Paul's church. (fn. 50) In 1907 the Gloucester Church Extension Society converted the former board school, west of the Stroud road, as a temporary mission church for a new conventional district. (fn. 51) In 1922 the society erected a temporary, aisled timber and asbestos church of St. Barnabas to the west. A parsonage house was built in Reservoir Road in 1924. (fn. 52) The church was assigned a district in 1930 (fn. 53) and the living became a perpetual curacy (later a vicarage) in the gift of the bishop. (fn. 54) In 1980 both temporary churches were used as church halls. The permanent church, on the other side of the road at the corner of Finlay Road, was designed by N. F. Cachemaille-Day, (fn. 55) and is built of reinforced concrete, faced externally with brick, and comprises east vestry rooms, chancel with north chapel and south aisle and tower, nave, and west porch. The short tower incorporates an organ loft and carries a crucifix.
In 1941 St. Barnabas's church began a mission to Lower Tuffley; it is treated under the church of St. George. In 1955 a temporary mission hall, dedicated to St. Michael, was built in Lower Tuffley at the corner of Seventh Avenue and Kemble Road. The hall, a Reema system building (fn. 56) of pebble-dashed brick, includes vestries and porches.
St. Catharine, Wotton.
Begun in 1912 and consecrated in 1915, (fn. 57) it was built in London Road by the Gloucester Church Extension Society to serve the reconstructed parish of St. Catharine in place of the church in Priory Road; (fn. 58) the cost was met by grants and voluntary contributions. (fn. 59) The vicarage house of the original parish was replaced in 1961 by a house at the corner of Denmark and Heathville Roads. (fn. 60) The church, built of ashlar and designed by Walter B. Wood in a 14thcentury style, has a sanctuary, a chancel with flèche, north vestry rooms and organ chamber, and south chapel, an aisled nave with north and south transeptal bays, and a west porch. (fn. 61) By 1980 many fittings brought from the Priory Road church had been replaced but the font and some glass in the chapel and south aisle remained. (fn. 62)
St. George, Lower Tuffley.
The church was built and consecrated in 1956. It had its origins in a mission from St. Barnabas's church begun in 1941. In 1942 Whaddon church hall, a wooden building given to the mission by Mrs. A. M. Jeune of Whaddon, was moved to Grange Road and dedicated to St. George. A temporary church was erected there in 1947 and a conventional district was attached to it in 1948. (fn. 63) The per manent church was assigned a parish in 1967 (fn. 64) and the living became a vicarage in the gift of the bishop. (fn. 65) The vicarage house in Grange Road had been built in 1954. The church, which is built of brick, was designed as a church hall. It was altered in 1970 and 1971 when several rooms, including a hall, were added to the north-east to create a centre for groups involved in church life. The church was enlarged and reoriented in 1981. In the late 1970s two houses were built to the west for clergy. (fn. 66)
St. James, Upton Street.
The church, which was begun in 1837 and consecrated in 1841, (fn. 67) originated in a plan of 1835 for a chapel of ease to St. Michael's church in the working-class suburb growing up at Barton End but was built by subscription for the whole lower Barton Street area. The funds raised, including a grant from the Incorporated Church Building Society, were insufficient and so the Diocesan Church Building Association paid for the completion of the building. (fn. 68) The Revd. S. W. Warneford was a benefactor to the new church. (fn. 69) In 1842 the church was given an extensive district south-east of the city. (fn. 70) The living, a perpetual curacy (later a vicarage) in the gift of the bishop, (fn. 71) was awarded £200 by Queen Anne's Bounty in 1855 to meet benefactions worth £1,300, (fn. 72) and the augmentation raised the value of the living to £150. (fn. 73) Moses Binning, the principal benefactor of the church, provided a house (fn. 74) and in 1856 £2,000 in stock for the incumbent. (fn. 75) The house, built in Upton Street in 1854, (fn. 76) was demolished in the early 1980s when a new vicarage and other houses were built on the site. The church, built of ashlar and designed by Sampson Kempthorne, son of the rector of St. Michael, in a late 13th-century style, was a singlecell building with north gallery, porch, and bellcot. (fn. 77) A chancel with east vestry and an east aisle with a wooden arcade of four bays were added in 1879. (fn. 78) In 1979 the gallery was enlarged and rooms created underneath.
In 1850 John Emeris, perpetual curate of St. James, built a chapel for a mission to Tredworth. The chapel was not open for long, and from 1867 the mission occupied a former Wesleyan chapel in High Street. (fn. 79) Anglicans held services there until the mid 20th century. (fn. 80) In 1869 a room was built for a school and a mission to the Millbrook Street area. The room, named after Emeris's curate John Alington, was enlarged in 1875 and was in that part of the parish transferred to All Saints' church. (fn. 81)
St. Luke, High Orchard.
The church, which was on the north side of St. Luke's Street, (fn. 82) was begun in 1838 and consecrated in 1841. The plan for a church for the area adjoining the docks originated with the Diocesan Church Building Association, which in 1837 handed the project over to Samuel Lysons of Hempsted Court. Lysons, who built and endowed the church at his own expense, (fn. 83) became the first minister or perpetual curate. (fn. 84) He transferred the patronage to the bishop in 1866. (fn. 85) Because of the claims of Christ Church, St. Luke's church, which was in the extraparochial area of South Hamlet, (fn. 86) was not assigned a consolidated chapelry until 1868, when one including parts of St. Mary de Lode, St. Michael, Hempsted, and Upton St. Leonards was formed. The living was endowed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners with £216 a year (fn. 87) and became a vicarage worth £250 in 1870. (fn. 88) Under a Scheme of 1879 it also received £150 from Silvanus Lysons's charity for the rector of Hempsted. (fn. 89) A house in Spa Road was the vicarage house from 1871 to 1898 (fn. 90) when it was replaced by a new house at the corner of Seymour and Frampton Roads. That house was assigned to the parish of St. Luke the Less in 1909. (fn. 91) The church, which was hemmed in by engineering works in the early 20th century, (fn. 92) was closed in 1934 and the benefice united with Christ Church. (fn. 93) The church, which was built of brick with stone dressings, was designed by Thomas Fulljames in a 13th-century style with sanctuary and nave with south porch and west gallery, vestry, and bellcot. (fn. 94) Alterations in the 1870s included a new vestry added to the south-eastern corner in 1874. (fn. 95) The church was demolished soon after closure. (fn. 96)
In 1884 a corrugated iron room was built for a mission from St. Luke's church to Bristol Road. (fn. 97) In 1895 a committee was formed to build a church in the south part of the parish and a site was acquired in Bristol Road. In 1896 a saw mill in Linden Road, next to the site of the proposed church, was converted as a mission hall, and the mission room was sold. The hall was used for services until 1900 when the new church of St. Luke the Less was consecrated. (fn. 98) The church is treated below as St. Stephen, its later dedication.
St. Mark, Kingsholm.
The church, begun in 1846 and consecrated in 1847, was built by the Diocesan Church Building Association; the cost was borne by grants from church building funds and voluntary contributions, including a gift from the Revd. S. W. Warneford. (fn. 99) The church served a district created out of the parishes of St. Catherine, St. John the Baptist, and St. Mary de Lode in 1846. The benefice, a perpetual curacy (later a vicarage) to which the bishop nominated, (fn. 100) was awarded £200 by Queen Anne's Bounty in 1852 to meet benefactions worth £500 from the bishop and Warneford's trustees. (fn. 101) It was valued at £150 in 1856 and had a glebe house by then. (fn. 102) A villa in London Road was the vicarage from the early 1880s (fn. 103) and until 1932. In 1952 a semidetached house in Tewkesbury Road became the vicarage house. (fn. 104) The church is built of coursed ashlar and was designed by Francis Niblett in a 13th-century style with chancel with north vestry and south chapel, aisled and clerestoried nave, and south-west tower and spire. (fn. 105) The vestry was enlarged and a room added to the east in 1888, when the body of the church was restored, and the chancel was enlarged and heightened in 1890. (fn. 106) The church plate includes a chalice and paten cover of c. 1575. (fn. 107)
St. Matthew, Twigworth.
Begun in 1841 and consecrated in 1842, it was built for Longford and Twigworth by the Diocesan Church Building Association; the site was given by Brasenose College, Oxford, and the principal lessee of the college's estate there, Walter Hayward de Winton, and the building costs were borne by grants and voluntary contributions, including a gift from the Revd. S. W. Warneford. (fn. 108) In 1842 the bishop nominated a perpetual curate, (fn. 109) but the church was not assigned a district until 1844, (fn. 110) when one was formed from parts of the parishes of St. Catherine and St. Mary de Lode, and was not licensed for marriages until 1846. (fn. 111) The living, later a vicarage, remained in the gift of the bishop (fn. 112) and was united with Down Hatherley in 1941 under an Order in Council of 1922. (fn. 113) In 1980 the patronage of the united benefice, a rectory, belonged to the Lord Chancellor. (fn. 114) The living of Twigworth was worth £70 in 1856. (fn. 115) A house, built south of the church in 1858, (fn. 116) was replaced as the vicarage c. 1970 by a new bungalow to the east. The church, which is built of lias and in a 13th-century style, originally comprised chancel with north vestry and nave (fn. 117) and was designed by Thomas Fulljames. (fn. 118) A west tower and spire were added in 1844 at the cost of Benjamin Saunders Claxson, the incumbent, (fn. 119) and a north aisle in 1860. (fn. 120) In 1890, when the church was restored by Waller & Son, the chancel, vestry, and east walls of nave and aisle were taken down, the chancel was rebuilt on a larger scale, the aisle was extended eastwards to house an organ chamber and vestry, and a north porch was added. (fn. 121)
St. Oswald, Coney Hill.
Begun in 1938 and consecrated in 1939, (fn. 122) it replaced a wooden mission church served from Barnwood church. The mission church of St. Oswald, which was opened in 1932, had a conventional district (fn. 123) and was assigned a parish in 1935. (fn. 124) The patronage of the living, a vicarage, was exercised by the Crown and the bishop alternately (fn. 125) but in 1980 belonged solely to the Crown. (fn. 126) A vicarage house was built in Coney Hill Road in the mid 1930s. (fn. 127) The permanent church, designed by W. E. Ellery Anderson, is built of brick and has a chancel with north chapel and south vestry rooms and an aisled and clerestoried nave with south tower with porch. (fn. 128)
St. Paul, Stroud Road.
The church, begun in 1882 and consecrated in 1883, was built to relieve pressure on the churches of St. James and St. Luke and as a memorial to Robert Raikes on the centenary in 1880 of the Sunday School movement. (fn. 129) The cost of building was borne by a grant from the Incorporated Church Building Society and subscriptions, including a large gift from D. H. D. Burr. (fn. 130) In 1884 the church was assigned a consolidated chapelry which was enlarged by the addition of the north part of Tuffley in 1885. (fn. 131) The living was a vicarage (sometimes called a perpetual curacy) in the gift of the bishop. A house, which had been built in Stroud Road opposite the church by 1894, (fn. 132) was replaced as the vicarage before 1955 by one in King Edward's Avenue. (fn. 133) The church, which is built of limestone, was designed by Capel N. Tripp in an Early English style but was unfinished at its consecration. It had sanctuary with north vestry, undivided aisled and clerestoried chancel and nave with east bellcot, the first stage of a south tower, short transeptal outer aisles, and temporary west front. (fn. 134) A second north vestry was built in 1931. In 1939 the west end of the church was completed and the east end restored to designs of W. E. Ellery Anderson; the cost was largely met by a bequest of Sarah Critchley. The nave and aisles were extended westwards by a bay, a west porch was added, and a west gallery of stone built in the nave. (fn. 135) In the churchyard a stone pulpit with crucifix was erected as a memorial for the First World War. (fn. 136)
St. Stephen, (formerly St. Luke the Less), Bristol Road.
Begun in 1898 and consecrated in 1900, it was built for the south end of St. Luke's parish; (fn. 137) the cost was met by subscriptions. (fn. 138) It was assigned a consolidated chapelry in 1909, (fn. 139) and the living was a vicarage (sometimes called a perpetual curacy) in the gift of the bishop. (fn. 140) The vicarage house of St. Luke's parish was assigned to the new parish. (fn. 141) The church, which is built of brick with stone dressings, was designed by Walter Planck in late Gothic style but remained incomplete for some time. It originally had a chancel with north vestry rooms and organ chamber and south chapel and an aisled and clerestoried nave (fn. 142) with temporary west front. The church was finished between 1928 and 1930 to a modified plan by H. A. Dancey; the cost was borne by subscription and a grant from the Revd. S. W. Warneford's charity. The nave and aisles were extended westwards by two bays, and a bellcot and west front incorporating two porches and polygonal baptistery were added. The church was then dedicated to St. Stephen but the name of the parish remained St. Luke the Less. (fn. 143)
Gloucester castle and the hospitals of St. Bartholomew, St. Margaret, and St. Mary Magdalen contained chapels which are treated elsewhere. St. Margaret's and St. Mary's chapels, which were also attended by residents near the respective hospitals, were sometimes described as parish churches. (fn. 144) The chapel of St. Bridget, mentioned c. 1220, was within Gloucester Abbey's precinct. (fn. 145) The chapel of St. Martin was dependent on St. Michael's church, with which it is treated above.
The chapel of St. Kyneburgh, inside the town wall at the south gate, (fn. 146) commemorated a local saint said to have been drowned in a well. (fn. 147) It possibly had a parish on both sides of the wall until Walter of Gloucester gave it to St. Owen's church in the late 11th century or early 12th. The chapel later became part of the endowment of Llanthony Priory (fn. 148) and was dedicated in 1147 following a rebuilding. In the early 13th century Maud de Bohun confirmed to the priory a rent of 12d. from a fulling mill in Wheatenhurst to maintain a light in the chapel. The rent was remitted in 1272 to Humphrey de Bohun, earl of Hereford and Essex. (fn. 149) In 1389 an anchorite was enclosed in a house next to the chapel. St. Kyneburgh's relics, which were moved to the priory church later that year, were replaced in the chapel in 1390. (fn. 150) The priory retained the chapel until the Dissolution. (fn. 151) Part of it had been demolished by 1543 when the Crown sold the site and an adjoining cottage to Thomas Bell. (fn. 152) He built an almshouse on the eastern end of the site next to the cottage, presumably the anchorite's dwelling, which housed a sixth almsman. The body of the chapel, used by the almsmen for prayers, was acquired in 1671 by the cordwainers' company for its hall. The chapel's bell chamber, called the steeple, was a dovecot in 1559. (fn. 153) The surviving parts of the former chapel were removed c. 1816 to make room for an extension of the city gaol, (fn. 154) which was demolished with the almshouse in the early 1860s. (fn. 155)
The chapel of St. Thomas, outside the outer north gate on the north side of the road, was mentioned in the late 12th or early 13th century (fn. 156) and was rebuilt in 1454 by Philip Monger and his wife Joan. (fn. 157) It was a chantry chapel, possibly that in which in 1324 the rector of St. John agreed to celebrate three days a week for Gloucester Abbey, (fn. 158) and in 1576 the Crown granted the building to John and William Marsh. (fn. 159)
A church of St. Thomas the Apostle was recorded before 1179. (fn. 160) The chapel of St. Thomas the Martyr, which figured in a dispute between Gloucester Abbey and St. Oswald's Priory settled in 1222, (fn. 161) was beyond the blind gate, by the road to Kingsholm. It was held by John Tuck under lease from the priory at the Dissolution. (fn. 162) The chapel was later used as a house and in 1603 John Wight granted a long lease of it to John Baugh, who converted it as four dwellings and by will proved 1621 left it for an almshouse. (fn. 163) The building, which stood on the south side of the Twyver and was known later as Chapel House, was demolished before 1692, probably at the siege of 1643. (fn. 164) A new house was built on the site in the early 18th century. (fn. 165)
There was a chapel at Kingsholm by 1216 and the Crown had granted St. Oswald's Priory 48 a. at Innsworth to support a chantry priest in it. (fn. 166) The chapel, which was at the king's hall, was dedicated to St. Nicholas and was held by the priory in 1221 of the gift of the Crown. (fn. 167) In 1228 an anchoress was enclosed there. (fn. 168) Later the hall became the Kingsholm manor house and the chapel fell into ruins. The priory, which in 1336 sought to rebuild it on a smaller scale, withdrew the chantry and in 1366 a licence for rebuilding was granted. (fn. 169) Nevertheless the chapel was in ruins in 1394 when the priory was given leave to move the chantry to an altar in the priory church. (fn. 170)
A chaplain held land in Twigworth before 1216 (fn. 171) and a chapel was recorded there in 1289. The chapel, which was probably dependent on St. Oswald's church, (fn. 172) was apparently in use in the mid 16th century. (fn. 173)
A chapel of St. Mary had presumably been built at Saintbridge by 1506 when Garet van Eck left 10s. to the hermit living there. (fn. 174) The chapel or hermitage stood a little way north of the Sud brook in St. Mary de Lode parish (fn. 175) and at least one of its hermits was buried in the parish church. (fn. 176) In 1531 Gloucester Abbey granted a lease of the chapel to the vicar of St. Mary de Lode (fn. 177) and in 1546 the Crown sold it to Robert Thornhill and Leonard Warcop. (fn. 178) It was later a house and was demolished in the 1920s. (fn. 179)
The mariners' chapel, in Gloucester docks, was begun in 1848 and opened in 1849. (fn. 180) The cost of building was met by subscriptions and private benefactions (fn. 181) and of maintenance by voluntary contributions. (fn. 182) The chaplaincy was in the gift of the committee managing the chapel's funds until 1858 when trustees were appointed. The Church Pastoral Aid Society granted £75 a year towards the chaplain's stipend on condition that the same amount was raised locally, but in 1909 the society's grant was only £60 a year. (fn. 183) The chapel, built of stone and designed by John Jacques in a 13th-century style, (fn. 184) is a single-cell building with east bellcot. When opened it was in the extraparochial area of South Hamlet and was attended also by people living near the docks for Sunday services (fn. 185) and for baptisms. (fn. 186) In 1980 services were conducted on Sunday evenings and the first Sunday morning of each month. (fn. 187)