A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 3. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1908.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE HUNDRED OF SELBORNE
CONTAINING THE PARISHES OF
This list represents the extent of the hundred of Selborne at the time of the Population Abstract of 1831, and is identical with the hundred of the present day.
The hundreds of Alton and Selborne were both included in the hundred of Neatham at the time of the Domesday Survey, (fn. 1) and although no definite date can be given for the division it must have come before 1217, since Alton hundred was in existence at that date, (fn. 2) but whether the part that became Selborne hundred was immediately called Selborne or retained for a time the name of Neatham is unknown. The earliest mention of the hundred is in a hundred roll of 1275. In this it was stated that the hundred belonged to the king, who received from it one mark annually. The inquisition then taken showed that suit had been withdrawn from the hundred court by the prior of Selborne for the manor of Selborne, by William de Valence for the manors of Newton Valence and Empshott, by the bishop of Exeter for the manor of Faringdon, and by the master of the Templars for the manor of Sotherington. (fn. 3)
The divisions of the hundred seem to have changed very little from the fourteenth century onwards. (fn. 4) According to a map of 1788, on the west, the north-west part of the parish of Newton Valence and the west part of East Tisted, including Rotherfield Park, and on the east Oakhanger, Oakwood, Blackmoor, and Woolmer, are included in Alton hundred. (fn. 5) In another map of about the same date Faringdon was excluded from Selborne and included in Alton hundred. (fn. 6) This is however due to inaccuracy rather than to a change in the divisions.