A History of the County of Huntingdon: Volume 3. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1936.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
ORTON LONGUEVILLE with BOTOLPHBRIDGE
Ofertune (x, xi cent.); Ovretune (xi cent.); Overton (xiii cent.); Ortun (xvi cent.); Longevill (xiii–xiv cent.); Lungeville (xiii–xv cent.); Longville (xvii cent.).
The present parish of Orton Longueville contains over 2,409 acres and includes Botolphbridge (q.v.), originally a separate parish, but the two rectories were united in 1702. In 1728 an Act was passed for confirming the Inclosure of Orton Longueville and Botolphbridge. (fn. 1) The parish lies on the borders of Northamptonshire, from which it is separated by the River Nene. The subsoil is mainly Oxford Clay, with Cornbrash near the river. The land is undulating and varies from 22 ft. to 65 ft. above Ordnance datum. The village, about 54 ft. above Ordnance datum, lies just off the main road from Peterborough and Oundle, the nearest station being at Orton Waterville on the London Midland and Scottish Railway. The church and village are just outside the large park surrounding Orton Longueville Hall. In the gravel pits in the park, the remains of a Romano-British hutvillage have been found. (fn. 2)
The early history of the formation of the two parishes of Orton Longueville and Orton Waterville is obscure. In Domesday Book no distinction of name is made and the different holdings are all called Overton, and only one church is mentioned. (fn. 3) Originally it seems to have been king's land and in his soke, (fn. 4) but a portion was alienated, probably by King Edgar, to the Abbey of Peterborough and formed in the reign of King Edward the Confessor a berewick of the Abbey manor of Alwalton. (fn. 5) Edward granted 3 hides of land to the Bishopric of Lincoln. (fn. 6) In 1066 the remainder of Orton was still in the king's soke, (fn. 7) but by 1086 the abbey had increased its holding by a grant of 3½ hides made in the time of William the Conqueror, (fn. 8) and the other holdings were in the hands of Eustace the Sheriff. (fn. 9) It seems impossible to fix a date for the separation of the parish of Orton Waterville, but before 1086 the Abbey of Peterborough had been forced to subinfeudate many of its lands to military tenants, and its holdings in Orton were then both in the hands of Ansgered or Ansered, the ancestor of the Waterville family, who were hereditary marshals of the Abbot's Hall at Peterborough. (fn. 10) One of his descendants probably built the 12th-century church, of which parts still exist, (fn. 11) and the parishes were presumably separated at this time and certainly before 1185. (fn. 12) Besides the abbey holdings, the parish of Orton Waterville also contained by 1279 the fee of the Bishop of Lincoln (fn. 13) and part of the lands which had been in the hands of the sheriff in 1086. The sheriff's lands consisted of a manor containing 7½ hides of land, formerly held by Elsi, on which there was a church; a small holding of 2½ hides, formerly held by Aluriz, and a third holding of 8 hides and 1 virgate, which had belonged to seven sokemen before the Conquest. (fn. 14) The last two holdings were not described as manors, but as being in the king's soke of Norman Cross. (fn. 15) It seems clear that Elsi's manor, with the church, formed the nucleus of the parish of Overton Longueville; (fn. 16) but some part of the remainder seems to have been acquired by the de Watervilles, and became part of Orton Waterville, to which some 5 hides seem to have been assigned. (fn. 17)
The manor of OVERTON LONGUEVILLE or ORTON LONGUEVILLE can be identified in the main with the pre-Conquest holding of Elsi. (fn. 18) In 1086 it was in the hands of Eustace the Sheriff, (fn. 19) and had not then been subinfeudated. (fn. 20) His two other holdings, the 2½ hides of Aluriz' land and the 8 hides and 1 virgate of the seven sokemen, had, however, been given respectively to Roger and John, both men of Eustace. (fn. 21) Their successors cannot be traced, and their holdings apparently became part of the manor, which was subinfeudated before 1135, (fn. 22) and was held by the Longueville family as one knight's fee of the Lovetot Barony. (fn. 23)
The first member of the family of whom there is any record was Henry de Longueville, who held the fee in 1166. (fn. 24) Reginald de Longueville was probably the next tenant. He died before 1219, his heir being his son Henry, (fn. 25) who, with his brothers Giles and Robert, was concerned in a grant of land in Orton Longueville to the Abbey of Ramsey. (fn. 26) Henry held 9 carucates of land there in 1220. (fn. 27) In 1242, John de Longueville was the tenant. (fn. 28) He died before 1265, leaving his son Henry, a minor, in the wardship of his overlord, Roger de Lovetot. The latter forfeited the wardship to the king with his other possessions for his support of Simon de Montfort, and Henry III granted it to Adam de Chesterton, clerk. (fn. 29) Roger, however, recovered his lands and appears to have granted the wardship of Henry to his mother, Isabel, widow of John de Longueville. (fn. 30) Henry married his overlord's daughter, Petronilla, and in 1273, shortly before Roger's death, they were in seisin of rents in Orton Waterville which Roger gave them in free marriage, (fn. 31) although Henry was still in the wardship of his mother. (fn. 32) He died before 1296 (fn. 33) and was succeeded by another John, who in 1302 settled the manor on himself and his wife Margaret in fee-tail. (fn. 34) He died before 1316, (fn. 35) his heir being apparently his daughter Margaret, afterwards the wife of Gerard Braybrook. His widow, however, held the manor for her life. (fn. 36) Sir Peter de Saltmarsh held it in 1316, (fn. 37) and in 1334 obtained, together with the parson of the church of Orton Waterville and Richard de Lincoln of Peterborough, a grant of pontage for three years on wares passing over the bridge over the Nene at Peterborough. (fn. 38) It seems fairly certain that he married John de Longueville's widow. He appears to have died soon after 1337, (fn. 39) but Margaret was living in 1350 and still held the manor, when de Longueville's heir Margaret and her husband, Gerard, son of Sir Gerard de Braybrook, kt., in that year settled the reversion of the manor on themselves and her heirs. (fn. 40) She had died before 1369, when the Braybrooks had possession of the Orton Longueville property. (fn. 41) Gerard died in 1403 (fn. 42) and was succeeded by his eldest son, Sir Reginald Braybrook, kt., who died in 1405. (fn. 43) His widow, Joan, Baroness Cobham, afterwards married Sir John Oldcastle, who appears as the tenant of Orton Longueville in 1412. (fn. 44) She died in 1434, but the manor was not held by her fifth husband, Sir John Harpedon, who survived her till 1458. (fn. 45) The reversion seems to have been settled on Sir Reginald's son Gerard, who predeceased him and whose widow, Joan, granted the manor in 1422 to feoffees. (fn. 46) It passed to Sir Reginald's brother and heir male, Sir Gerard Braybrook, and not to his daughter and heir, Joan, the wife of Sir Thomas Brooke. (fn. 47) In 1438 it was held by Elizabeth Lady St. Amand, granddaughter of Gerard and wife of Sir William Beauchamp. (fn. 48) The latter died in 1457 and she married Sir Roger Tocotes, kt., (fn. 49) whose lands were forfeited on the accession of Richard III. Orton Longueville was granted in 1484 to Sir Gervase Clifton, (fn. 50) but the Tocotes recovered it, she dying seised in 1491, (fn. 51) and Sir Roger in 1492. (fn. 52) Her son, Richard Beauchamp, Lord St. Amand, succeeded to the manor, (fn. 53) but died in 1508 without leaving legitimate children. (fn. 54) His feoffees, acting under his will, sold it to George Kirkham, (fn. 55) in spite of efforts made to recover its possession by the Longueville family and by the Brookes. (fn. 56) Kirkham died seised in 1528, (fn. 57) and his son Robert sold Orton Longueville manor in 1548 to Robert Rayner. (fn. 58) The latter died in 1550, (fn. 59) and was succeeded by his son, William Rayner, (fn. 60) during whose minority Edward VI granted the manor to Princess Elizabeth. (fn. 61) William was afterwards knighted and died in 1606. (fn. 62) He left the manor by will to his daughter Elizabeth, the widow of Henry Talbot, a son of George, Earl of Shrewsbury, and the wife of Sir Thomas Holcroft, and her heirs male, with remainder to Mary, her younger daughter by Talbot, who was the wife of Holcroft's son and heir Thomas. (fn. 63) Elizabeth succeeded to the manor in 1606 (fn. 64) and died, a widow, in 1612. (fn. 65) Her daughter succeeded to it (fn. 66) and, after the death of Thomas Holcroft, married Sir William Armyne, bart. (fn. 67) She appears to have held the manor till her death in 1675, (fn. 68) when it seems to have passed to William Pierrepoint, the second son of her sister Gertrude, wife of Robert Pierrepoint, first Earl of Kingston-upon-Hull. (fn. 69) William Pierrepoint died in 1679, and his heir was his grandson William, who succeeded his uncle as Earl of Kingston-upon-Hull in 1680. (fn. 70) Orton Longueville is mentioned in the settlement made in 1685 on the occasion of the Earl's marriage to Anne, daughter of Robert Greville, Baron Brooke, to which his mother, Elizabeth, was one of the parties. (fn. 71) He died in 1690, his brother Evelyn being his heir. (fn. 72) The manor, however, seems to have come into the possession of his aunt Frances Pierrepoint, the widow of Henry, Duke of Newcastle; she died in 1695, and it passed to her third daughter and co-heir Margaret, the wife of John Holles, Duke of Newcastle. (fn. 73) The latter presented to the church of Botolphbridge (q.v.), the advowson of which was in the same ownership as that of Orton Longueville (q.v.) in 1715. (fn. 74) She died childless the following year, (fn. 75) and the manor passed to her niece Frances, daughter of her sister Arabella (d. 1698) and Charles, 3rd Earl of Sunderland, and wife of Viscount Morpeth, afterwards 4th Earl of Carlisle. (fn. 76) Frances died at Orton Longueville in 1742 (fn. 77) and left two daughters and co-heirs, the eldest of whom, Arabella, inherited Orton Longueville manor. She married Jonathan Cope, son and heir of Sir Jonathan Cope, bart., of Brewerne Abbey, Oxon, (fn. 78) and they owned it in 1744. (fn. 79) She died in 1746 and her husband in 1763. (fn. 80) They were succeeded by her son (d. 1781) (fn. 81) and grandson, both named Charles, but the latter died young in the same year as his father, and his estates passed to his two sisters, Arabella Diana, afterwards Duchess of Dorset, and Charlotte Anne. (fn. 82) Orton Longueville was assigned to Charlotte Anne, who married George Gordon, son of the 4th Earl of Aboyne, who also succeeded as 9th Marquess of Huntly, (fn. 83) in 1836. It now belongs to his grandson, the present Marquess of Huntly.
In the 13th century, John de Longueville paid annually to the county 2s. for view of frankpledge, (fn. 84) and about 1278 his widow Isabella held a mill worth 30s. a year and a fishery worth 2s. a year. (fn. 85)
The church of the HOLY TRINITY consists of a chancel (33 ft. by 16 ft.), north chapel (22¾ ft. by 18 ft.), nave (36¾ ft. by 15¼ ft.), north aisle (36¾ ft. by 7½ ft.), south aisle (37¾ ft. by 16¾ ft.), west tower (7½ ft. by 7½ ft.), and south porch. The walls are of coursed rubble with stone dressings, and the roofs are covered with lead.
The church is mentioned in the Domesday Survey (1086), but nothing of this early church remains. It probably had an aisleless nave, to which aisles were added c. 1240. A general rebuilding seems to have been commenced towards the end of the 13th century, commencing with the chancel, chancel arch and north chapel, c. 1280; the nave and aisles, c. 1300; and the west tower, either built or rebuilt, about the same time. The clearstory was added a few years later; and about the middle of the century the north chapel was rebuilt and the arch between it and the chancel was widened towards the east. The belfry seems to have been rebuilt with very high walls in the 15th century. The south aisle was rebuilt to about double its former width, with the materials of Botolphbridge Church, in 1675, (fn. 86) at which time the porch was rebuilt. The porch was repaired in 1835, and the church in 1840, the north chapel being partly rebuilt in 1861. (fn. 87) The north aisle roof was restored about 1888, and the roofs of the chancel, nave and south aisle were largely renewed in 1908–9, when some repairs were also done to the east window and the south clearstory windows.
The late 13th-century chancel has a five-light east window of c. 1350, with flowing tracery in a twocentred head. The north wall has an original twolight window with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head; a two-centred arch of c. 1280, but widened c. 1350, having two hollow chamfered orders, and carried on responds formed of three grouped shafts with moulded capitals and bases; and a reset tall and narrow 13th-century niche, low down, with a twocentred head and continuous chamfered jambs. The south wall has an early 14th-century three-light window with tracery in a two-centred head; an early 14th-century transomed window, of which the upper part is of two lights with tracery in a two-centred head, and the lower part is a blocked three-light lowside window; an early 14th-century doorway with a slightly ogee head and continuous double hollowchamfered jambs; a piscina with trefoiled head and octofoiled basin; and, on the outside, two reset early 14th-century niches with trefoiled heads and continuous hollow-chamfered jambs. The hinges of the south door are of early 14th-century date and have scrolls ending in stamped rosettes and leaves, and stamped lappets, and are probably the work of Thomas de Leighton. The late 13th-century chancel arch is two-centred, of two chamfered orders, and rests on responds having semicircular attached shafts with moulded capitals and chamfered bases; on each side, in the chancel, is an early 14th-century seat recess with trefoiled ogee head and hollow-chamfered jambs. On the gable above is a very fine wheel-cross.
The mid 14th-century north chapel has a reset threelight east window of c. 1300, with tracery in a twocentred head; (fn. 88) a piscina with trefoiled head and octofoiled basin; and two niches of c. 1300, having trefoiled ogee heads and chamfered jambs. The rebuilt north wall has two early 14th-century two-light windows with tracery in two-centred heads. In the west wall is a two-centred arch to the aisle, c. 1280, of two chamfered orders, the lower order resting on attached semicircular shafts with moulded capitals and bases.
The nave, c. 1300, has on each side an arcade of three bays of two-centred arches of two chamfered orders, carried on octagonal columns with moulded capitals extended out as brackets on the north and south sides to carry the outer orders of the arch; the bases are moulded and stand on square plinths of c. 1240, with griffes at the corners. The second column from the east, on the south side, has a small recess cut in the western side, and fitted with a metal alms-box. At the eastern end of the north wall, the 15th-century rood stairs have been destroyed and an opening formed right through the wall to the lower doorway in the north aisle. On the south side is a modern opening with a trefoiled head into the south aisle. The 14th-century clearstory has three square-headed two-light windows on each side.
The north aisle, c. 1300, has in the north wall two early 14th-century two-light windows with tracery in segmental-pointed heads; and an early 14th-century doorway with a two-centred head and moulded jambs. In the south-east corner is the 15th-century doorway to the rood stairs. In the west wall is a two-light window somewhat similar to those in the north wall. The windows of this aisle contain fragments of coloured glass of the 13th to 17th centuries.
The south aisle, rebuilt 1675, has in the east wall two early 14th-century two-light windows with tracery in two-centred heads. The south wall has two early 14th-century two-light windows with modern tracery in two-centred heads eastward of the porch; a similar window, but c. 1300, west of the porch; and a doorway of c. 1290, with two-centred head and continuous moulded jambs. The west wall has an early 14th-century two-light window similar to that at the west end of the north aisle, and a two-light window of c. 1300, similar to that in the south wall.
The west tower, c. 1300, has a two-centred tower arch of three chamfered orders, the lower order resting on semicircular attached shafts with moulded capitals and chamfered bases. The north wall has a blocked late 13th-century doorway with two-centred head and chamfered jambs, leading to a blocked stair-turret at the north-east corner. In the south wall is a doorway with two-centred head to the stair-turret at the southeast corner. The west window is a late 13th-century two-light with a pierced spandrel in a two-centred head, and contains a small demi-figure of a saint in 13th-century glass. The second stage has an opening with a two-centred head in the east wall; a quatrefoil in the north and south walls; and a trefoiled-headed niche in the west wall. The belfry has no west window, but the east, north and south walls have each a 15th-century two-light window with simple tracery in a two-centred head. The tower, which has diagonal buttresses at the north-west and south-west angles, rises to an unusual height above the belfry windows, and is finished with an embattled parapet.
The south porch, which has a date-stone inscribed '1675 ' in its southern gable, has a reset 14th-century outer archway with a two-centred arch of two chamfered orders and continuous moulded jambs. In the east wall is a reset quatrefoiled circular window of c. 1300. The roof is of the 15th century, reset in 1675, and has moulded beams.
The 15th-century font has an octagonal bowl with panelled sides and moulded cove, on a panelled stem with a modernised base.
There is one bell, inscribed: Nomen Magdalene Campana Gerit Melodie and bearing the stamps of John Walgrave, c. 1418–1440. There is also a sanctus bell with no inscription.
On the north wall of the north aisle is an exceptionally well preserved early 16th-century painting of the upper part of St. Christopher and the Christ Child. (fn. 89)
Lying loose in the south aisle is a long stone with a plain circular sunk basin, found in the north clearstory wall in 1927. On the north wall of the north chapel is an early 17th-century funeral helm with vizor and spike for crest. Lying loose in this chapel are some panels of lead glazing containing some 14th-century coloured glass.
Under the arch between the chancel and the chapel is an effigy of a knight, c. 1280, in chain armour and long surcoat with heater-shaped shield and with crossed legs resting on a dog. It is said that a tabard formerly hung above it, emblazoned: Argent, a chevron between ten crosslets, 4, 2, 1, 2, 1. (fn. 90)
Against the north wall of the north chapel is a large monument of alabaster and marble with a tableslab supported on Doric columns, inscription tablet, and many shields of arms, commemorating Elizabeth (Rayner) wife of Henry Talbot, d. 1629, Maria her daughter, wife of Sir William Armyne, Bart., d. 1674, and Talbot Armyne, son of the last, born 1630.
There are other monuments: in the chancel, to the Rev. Charles Child, Rector, d. 1835; the Rev. Samuel Rogers, Rector, d. 1852, and Eliza Ann, his wife, d. 1855; the Rev. Peter Royston, Rector, d. 1906; floor slabs to William Yarwell, d. 1597; Richard Caryer, d. 1671; Thomas Caryer, d. 1680; Mary, dau: of Richard Caryer, d. 1695; Penelope, dau. of Robert Caryer, d. 1698; the Rev. Richard Caryer, Rector, d. 1704; Robert Neville, d. 170; the Rev. Richard Caryer, d. 1711; the Rev. Robert Caryer, Rector, d. 1714; the Rev. Jonathan Stubbs, Rector, d. 1789. In the north chapel, to Lady Mary (Gordon), wife of Lord Frederick Seymour, d. 1825; Elizabeth Henrietta, wife of Charles, Earl of Aboyne, d. 1832; Charles, 10th Marquess of Huntly, d. 1863; Lord Randolph Seton Gordon, d. 1859; Lady Edith Blanche Gordon, d. 1862; Lord Bertram Gordon, d. 1869; and Lord Lewis Gordon, d. 1870; floor slab to Sir Charles Cope, Bart., d. 1781; and window to Charles, 10th Marquess of Huntly, d. 1863. In the north aisle, to Mary Antoinette (Pegus), wife of the 10th Marquess of Huntly, d. 1893; Lord Douglas William Cope Gordon, d. 1888. In the south aisle, to William Yarwell, d. 1597; Sir Charles Cope, Bart., d. 1781; Mary Elizabeth Moore, d. 1826; Elizabeth, wife of Samuel Roberts, d. 1828; Thomas Speechley, d. 1832; Henry Milnes Townsend, d. 1917; floor slabs to Mary, wife of Thomas Wakelin, d. 1693; G.W. 1697; and A.K. 1698/9. There are also four hatchments in the north chapel and two in the tower.
The registers, which include Botolphbridge, are as follows: (i) St. Botolph's Bridge: baptisms and burials, 29 May 1556 to 13 April 1680, and marriages 15 Nov. 1562 to 25 Feb. 1695; (ii) Orton Longueville: baptisms, marriages and burials, 25 May 1559 to 1 March 1695; (iii) the combined parishes: baptisms, marriages and burials, 25 March 1696 to 16 Dec. 1770, marriages end 10 June 1753; (iv) baptisms and burials, 10 Feb. 1771 to 17 Oct. 1812; (v) the official marriage book, 19 Sept. 1754 to 22 April 1812; the usual modern books.
The church plate consists of a Britannia-silver cup, hall-marked for 1711–12; (fn. 91) a silver standing paten, hallmarked for 1829–30.
A church is mentioned in Domesday Book on the land, formerly held by Elsi, which in 1086 was in the hands of Eustace the Sheriff, (fn. 92) and was apparently granted with the manor of Orton Longueville (q.v.). John de Longueville was patron of the church in 1247–8, (fn. 93) and the advowson was held with the manor till 1916, (fn. 94) when it was purchased by Canon Warren Hastings, who is the present patron and rector of the church. In 1721, the rectory of Botolphbridge was united with that of Orton Longueville by deed of Bishop Gibson of Lincoln. (fn. 95) In 1428, a portion of tithes to the value of 30s. a year was paid from the rectory to the Priory of Huntingdon. (fn. 96) At the Dissolution of the Chantries lamp land consisting of half an acre, worth 17d. a year, had been given to the church. (fn. 97) In 1549 it was granted by the king to John Dodington and William Warde. (fn. 98) The church was taxed at £6 13s. 4d. in 1291 and 10 marks in 1428. Its value in 1535 was £12 19s. 8d. (fn. 99)
Mary Walsham, by will dated 19 January 1744, gave to the minister, churchwardens and overseers £100 for the benefit of the poor of the parish. The endowment now consists of £251 6s. Consols with the Official Trustees, and the dividends are distributed to the poor in money.
Christopher Jeffery, by will dated 22 March 1838, gave to the minister and churchwardens a sum of money for the poor of the parish. This sum is now represented by £109 8s. 9d. Consols with the Official Trustees, the dividends from which are distributed to the poor in money.
William Yarwell, by will proved 10 April 1598, gave a yearly rentcharge of £1 issuing out of pasture ground called Burne Grounds to poor householders of the parish. The charge is regularly paid and distributed by the rector and churchwardens among the poor householders of the parish.
The Church Leys.—The annual sum of £110s. is paid out of an estate in the parish to the rector for the repair of the church. The origin of the charity is unknown.
Lady Armyne's Charity.—Dame Mary Armyne, by her will dated 31 August 1654, gave to the rector a yearly rentcharge of £22 issuing out of her manor lands and tenements in Orton Longueville, for the benefit of eight poor widows or widowers of the parish. The charge is regularly paid and distributed in money to eight poor widows.
Botuluesbrige (xi-xiv cent.); Botelesbrig, Botolfbrigg (xiii cent.); Bottelbridge (xvi cent.).
Botolphbridge or Bottlebridge is now only a hamlet in Orton Longueville parish, containing a few houses.
It was formerly a separate parish, the church of which is mentioned in Domesday Book. (fn. 100) It consisted of the whole of the present parish which is north of the old road from Peterborough to Oundle and some small part south of the road, but the precise boundary between the two parishes is now difficult to follow. The road was straightened early in the 19th century, but its former line is still shown on the original oneinch Ordnance map. In a Hundred Roll (temp. Edw. I) Botolphbridge is described as a hamlet of Orton Longueville, (fn. 101) but it was really a separate place.
In 1316 Botolphbridge and Orton Longueville formed one vill for purposes of taxation, and they have been assessed together ever since. (fn. 102)
The manor house of the Drayton family and the church stood at the east end of the parish. The house had been demolished before 1669, (fn. 103) and the church, the site of which is marked by a stone, was pulled down in 1695.
The manor of BOTOLPHBRIDGE belonged to Edward the Confessor and in 1086 was 'kept' by Ranulf for the king. It was assessed at five hides, with land for 8 ploughs. (fn. 104) Its history in the following century is obscure, as it has chiefly to be gathered from documents of the 13th and 14th centuries which are somewhat contradictory. The most probable account is that King Henry (II) gave it to one of his serjeants named Hugh de Lizures to hold as one knight's fee. Hugh was succeeded by his daughter and heir Sybil, who was in the king's wardship and was given in marriage with the manor to Robert de Gimeges. (fn. 105) He held it in the reign of Richard I (fn. 106) and paid scutage for his land in Huntingdonshire in 1194. (fn. 107) Subsequently he and Sybil granted a moiety of the manor to Hugh de Boyeby on his marriage with their daughter Emma, (fn. 108) and this formed a sub-manor, later known as Paynels or Deens Manor (q.v.), which was held of the de Gimeges and their successors. It appears to have been this Robert de Gimeges who, with his wife's consent and advice, granted to Ralph de Longes and Sybil his wife a ⅓ part of his demesnes in Botolphbridge and Orton, together with the ¼ part, which Ralph de Longes held of him in the same vills, so that the whole moiety of his demesne should remain to Ralph and Sybil and Ralph's heirs. (fn. 109) The relationship, if any, of the grantees to Robert de Gimeges and his wife does not appear, but the grant of the ¼ part was confirmed in a final concord by their son and heir William in 1234, who, however, reserved the capital messuage. (fn. 110) Robert died before 1210–12, when Sybil de Gimeges answered for the whole fee to King John, (fn. 111) but probably she only held it during the minority of her son William. The king, however, appears to have reduced the service due from Botolphbridge to two-thirds of a knight's fee, together with the duty of feeding the king's hounds when his huntsmen came into the county. (fn. 112) In 1218, William de Gimeges paid his relief for the manor, (fn. 113) holding a moiety as mesne lord and a moiety in demesne. He died soon after 1234, his son and heir Robert being a minor in the wardship of Reginald de Heddon. (fn. 114) Robert was of age in 1242, (fn. 115) and in 1259 granted the moiety of the manor which his father had held in demesne to Baldwin Drayton and his wife Idonea. (fn. 116) In the same year, Lady Sybil de Gymeges, late lady of Caroby, granted in free widowhood all her land in Overton and Botolphbridge to her daughter Idonea and Sir Baldwin de Drayton, kt., in free marriage. (fn. 117) It seems probable that this Sybil was a second daughter of the first Robert de Gimeges and Sybil de Lizures, and she may also have been Sybil, wife of Ralph de Longes, for whom her parents had thus made provision in the grant mentioned above.
From this time the de Gimeges held both moieties of the manor in mesne lordship. Robert was succeeded by his son, a third Robert, who was the overlord early in the reign of Edward I. (fn. 118) In 1333, a Robert de Gimeges, presumably his son, granted all his right in the rent of one sparrowhawk or 2s. a year due from the Draytons' moiety to his under-tenant Simon de Drayton. (fn. 119) He was still apparently in seisin of the mesne lordship in 1358, when he was described as Robert de Gimeges of Stachesden (Stagsden, Beds), (fn. 120) but was succeeded in 1359 by John, (fn. 121) said to be his grandson, but more probably his son. The latter in 1364 brought an action against the Crown to recover the wardship of the sub-tenant of the Paynels moiety of the manor, (fn. 122) but evidently died before the end of the suit. It was, however, restored to his son and heir John in 1366, and he did homage for it, (fn. 123) but after this time the mesne lordship disappeared.
The manor of BOTOLPHBRIDGE or LOVETS MANOR may be identified with the moiety of Botolphbridge which Robert de Gimeges granted to Baldwin de Drayton and his wife Idonea, (fn. 124) and it passed on the death of Baldwin, about 1278, (fn. 125) to his son John, (fn. 126) who in turn was succeeded about 1292 by his son Simon, (fn. 127) but the manor was assigned in dower in 1293 to Alice, John's widow. (fn. 128) She seems, however, to have granted it to her son in 1318 or 1319, (fn. 129) and Simon settled it in 1321 on himself, his wife Margaret and his son John and their heirs. (fn. 130) In 1355, however, a new settlement was made on Simon and Margaret for their lives, with remainders to John's sons Baldwin and Gilbert, (fn. 131) and John made a quitclaim of all his right in the manor. (fn. 132) Simon died in 1357 (fn. 133) and Margaret in 1358, when it passed to their grandson Baldwin. (fn. 134) The latter died before 1399, when his widow, Alice, granted seisin of the manor to his son John. (fn. 135) In 1426, the latter granted land and tenements to the annual value of 20 marks from his manors of Botolphbridge and Cranford (Northants) to his son John on his marriage with Anne, daughter and eventually coheir of Robert Craunford. (fn. 136) The feoffment was not made before the death of the younger John and a chancery suit was brought by Craunford. (fn. 137) It was probably in consequence of this that John Drayton, the elder, granted the manor of Botolphbridge in 1429 to his daughter-in-law for her life. (fn. 138) She afterwards married Thomas Halle. (fn. 139) On the death of her father-in-law, before 1443, (fn. 140) his heir was his grandson, Anne's son William, who was a minor. (fn. 141) He was living in May 1465, when he obtained a pardon for all misprisions from Edward IV. (fn. 142) He is described as William Drayton of South Newton in co. Oxon, esquire, . . . alias William Drayton, late (nuper) of Botolphbridge, (fn. 143) co. Hunt., gentleman, son and heir of Anne Halle. He died in September of that year, seised of the manor of Botolphbridge. (fn. 144) His heir was his son Richard aged 13, (fn. 145) but in 1479 Richard died and the manor passed to his sister Anne, the wife of Thomas Lovet. (fn. 146) In 1492 their son and heir Thomas succeeded (fn. 147) and was followed by his son and grandson, both named Thomas. (fn. 148) The latter died in 1586, his heir being his grandson George Shirley, the son of his only daughter Jane and her husband John Shirley. (fn. 149) George was created a baronet in 1611, and died in 1622. (fn. 150) He appears to have left Botolphbridge to his second son, Sir Thomas Shirley, kt., who was celebrated as an antiquary. (fn. 151) In 1635 Thomas and his eldest son Henry were living, (fn. 152) but Thomas's lands were sequestrated under the Commonwealth. (fn. 153) The Shirleys alienated the manor, (fn. 154) but its history has not been traced, until it appears among the property included in the marriage settlements of William Pierrepoint, 3rd Earl of Kingston-upon-Hull, (fn. 155) and from that time it has belonged to the lords of Orton Longueville manor (q.v.). (fn. 156)
The moiety of Botolphbridge said to have been granted by Robert de Gimeges and Sybil (or by Hugh de Gimeges) to Emma and Hugh de Boyeby was known as the manor of BOTOLPHBRIDGE or PAYNELS or DEENS manor, and was held by the service due from one-third of a knight's fee. (fn. 157) Emma and Hugh were succeeded by their son Osbert, (fn. 158) and then by another Hugh de Boyeby, probably their younger son, who was holding the manor about 1278. (fn. 159) He was succeeded by his son Alexander, (fn. 160) whose daughter and heir Agnes married John Paynel. (fn. 161) She and her husband were in seisin in 1317, (fn. 162) but in 1325 they granted it to Simon Drayton and his wife Margaret, (fn. 163) the tenants of the other moiety of Botolphbridge (q.v.), for their lives. On the death of the survivor, Margaret, in 1358, Paynels manor reverted to John Paynel, grandson of Agnes, a minor, whose wardship was recovered by his mesne lord, John de Gimeges of Stagsden (Beds), from the Crown. (fn. 164) He came of age before 1369, when he made a settlement of the manor. (fn. 165) His son Thomas succeeded him but, dying childless, Paynels manor passed to his sister Margaret, whose husbands were Thomas Kinnesman and John Deen; (fn. 166) it was settled on her and John Deen in 1452. (fn. 167) Robert Deen appears to have been the next tenant, (fn. 168) and the manor was granted in 1488 by James Deen to Thomas Quadring and his wife Elizabeth, widow of Robert, for her life. (fn. 169) On her death it reverted to Dorothy, daughter and heir of James Deen, and sister and heir of Bartholomew Deen. (fn. 170) She was the widow of Sir Richard Bozom, kt., and in 1530, at the time of Thomas Quadring's death, she was the wife of William Vernon. (fn. 171) Sir Richard had died in 1525, leaving five daughters: Elizabeth, wife of Richard Paynel; Mary, wife of John Worseley; and Margaret, Alice and Agnes, who were unmarried, as his heirs. (fn. 172) Dorothy died before 1552, leaving apparently a daughter as her heir by William Vernon, since Paynels manor was then held in shares of one-sixth part. (fn. 173) In that year, William Cordell and Mary his wife, a kinswoman and one heir of Sir Richard Bozom and Dorothy, were dealing with one of these parts, (fn. 174) and in 1557 Thomas Lewis and Alice his wife, daughter and one heir of Bozom and Dorothy, were dealing with another part. (fn. 175) Eventually, however, the whole manor appears to have come into the possession of the Worseleys, since Richard Worseley, presumably the son of John Worseley and Mary Bozom, was holding it in 1597. (fn. 176) He was succeeded in 1616 by his son John, (fn. 177) who died in 1625, leaving a son and heir Richard not yet two years old. (fn. 178) The boy seems to have died young since, in the middle of the century, it was in the hands of two heiresses, Anne, wife of Henry Clifton, and Sabina, wife of Gilbert Wigmore, clerk. (fn. 179) The Cliftons obtained the whole manor, but in 1662, Henry Clifton and his son and heir, another Henry, appear to have sold it to John Scrimshire. (fn. 180) No further history of Paynels manor appears, and it was presumably bought with Lovets manor (q.v.) and held by the lords of Overton Longueville manor.
The Abbey of Thorney held a virgate of land at Botolphbridge, the grant of William de Gimeges about 1238. (fn. 181) About 50 years later the abbey held two messuages, 20 acres of land and 2 acres of meadow in frankalmoin. (fn. 182)
In 1276 Baldwin Drayton claimed to have view of frankpledge and the assize of bread and ale in his manor of Botolphbridge. (fn. 183) He died seised of a fishery and also of a toll on the river Nene (fn. 184) which in 1285 was called 'Thurtholl,' by which every ship carrying merchandise paid ½d. (fn. 185) In 1327, Simon Drayton obtained a grant of free warren in his demesne lands. (fn. 186) About 1278, Hugh de Boyeby, as lord of the other moiety of Botolphbridge, claimed to hold view of frankpledge. (fn. 187) In 1285, the Prior of the Knights Hospitallers, to whom the advowson of the church (q.v.) belonged, claimed to hold a view of frankpledge for his tenants there, and other privileges granted to the Order by the king. (fn. 188)
A small manor of OVERTON and BOTOLPHBRIDGE was held by the Abbey of Peterborough, to which Ralph de Gimeges granted a carucate of land about 1273. (fn. 189) The abbey also held a virgate of land in frankalmoin about the same date. (fn. 190) The manor was held by the abbot, William Ramsey, in 1495, when the hall of the manor was let to William Payne. (fn. 191) In 1541 it was granted by the king to the Dean and Chapter of Peterborough to hold by a yearly rent, (fn. 192) and a farm was apparently still held by William Wildbore at his death in 1558, which he had had from 'my lord of Peterborough.' (fn. 193)
The church of ALL SAINTS was pulled down in 1695, and the materials were used to repair and enlarge the church at Orton Longueville. (fn. 194)
The church is mentioned in the Domesday Survey (1086), but judging by the south aisle of Orton Longueville, which was enlarged with its stones, it must have been partly rebuilt in the 14th century. The bells are referred to in a will in 1540. (fn. 195) One of the chancel windows had, in 1669, two shields of arms: (a) Azure, three arrows or, and (b) Argent, a cross lozengy gules. (fn. 196) A solitary tombstone with an illegible inscription, standing amidst some trenches in a large field, is now all that marks its site.
In 1086 a church and priest were attached to the king's manor (q.v.) at Botolphbridge. (fn. 197) The advowson passed with the manor to the de Gimeges family. In 1224, William de Gimeges granted it to the Knights Templars, (fn. 198) who some years later received an annual pension of 5 marks from the rectory. (fn. 199) From the Templars the advowson passed to the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem. At the time of the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the Order received an annual pension of 53s. 4d. (fn. 200) In 1311, when the Templars' lands were forfeited to the Crown, the Draytons, as lords of the manor, attempted to seize the advowson, and four presentations were made for the same vacancy, by the king, by Simon Drayton, by Alice widow of John Drayton, and by the Bishop of Lincoln; the king's nominee was finally instituted in 1312, (fn. 201) and the presentation in 1325 was made by the Hospitallers. (fn. 202) The advowson was bought from the Crown between 1597 and 1599 by Sir William Reyner, (fn. 203) and from this time was held by the patrons of Orton Longueville (q.v.). From 1663 the rectors of the two churches were the same. (fn. 204) In 1721 the two rectories were united under a deed of Bishop Gibson of Lincoln. (fn. 205) At the Dissolution of the Chantries, lamp land to the value of 16d. a year was attached to the church. (fn. 206)
The guild of Corpus Christi is mentioned in the will of William Drayton of Botolphbridge manor (q.v.), who died in 1465. No place is given to the guild, but his benefaction to it follows immediately after his directions as to his burial in the church of Botolphbridge. (fn. 207)