A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1908.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
6. THE ABBEY OF WYRESDALE
The Cistercian abbey of Wyresdale, an offshoot of Furness, was founded towards the close of the twelfth century, on land perhaps given by Theobald Walter, lord of Weeton, and (from about 1192) of all Amounderness. Between 1193 and 1196 Theobald, with the consent of the archdeacon of Richmond, appropriated to the new house the church of St. Michael-on-Wyre, subject to the appointment of a vicar. (fn. 1) But some years later (before 1204) Theobald removed the monks to Wotheney, on his Irish lands in Munster, in the present county of Limerick. (fn. 2) The site of the short-lived house in Wyresdale is not known, but is supposed to be indicated by the name Abbey stead in Over Wyresdale near the confluence of Tarnbrook Wyre and Marshaw Wyre.