A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 6. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1911.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Hoton, 1201; Hutton and Hooton, xvi cent.
This township stretches westward from the border of Penwortham for about 5 miles, and has an area of 2,744½ acres. (fn. 1) A considerable portion, however, consists of the low land on the south bank of the Ribble. The eastern half of the township is above the 50-ft. level, and here is situated the village of Hutton, lying along the principal road, that from Penwortham to Ormskirk. Another road goes northwest and west to the riverside. The West Lancashire railway crosses the township. The population in 1901 was 418.
The soil is mixed, with clay subsoil; the land is mostly in pasture.
Penwortham Grammar School is situated in this township, in which there is also a farm school belonging to the County Council.
There were in all fifty-eight hearths to be taxed in 1666; the largest houses were three which had three hearths each. (fn. 2)
The manor of HUTTON, assessed as three plough-lands, was a member of the fee of Penwortham, and held about 1180 by Roger son of Orm as to two-thirds and by Austin son of Waldeve de Ulverston as to one-third. By an exchange Roger acquired the whole manor, (fn. 3) which his son Ellis de Hutton sold to the canons of Cockersand. (fn. 4) By its new lords it continued to be held of the lords of Penwortham by the fourth and the twentieth parts of a knight's fee. (fn. 5) The beginning of their tenure was marked by disputes with the Abbots of Evesham, who claimed tithes for their church of Penwortham from the demesne, the canons claiming that this was exempt, but at last compounding. (fn. 6)
The Cockersand rentals from 1450 to 1537 show that the manor, mills and a large part of the land were let out to tenants at will, but there were also a considerable number of free tenants. (fn. 7)
After the Dissolution the Crown in 1546 granted the manor to Lawrence Rawstorne for £560. (fn. 8) The purchaser, described as of Old Windsor, was of the family of Rawstorne of Tottington. There are no inquisitions post mortem of his branch of the family, but a pedigree was recorded in 1664. (fn. 9)
The Rawstornes had several disputes with their neighbours as to Hutton. In 1559 Lawrence Rawstorne complained that the servants of John Fleetwood of Penwortham had deprived him of his turbary in Wymott Moss by destroying the ditch; the moss thus became flooded, and the watercourse to Hutton Mill was likewise spoiled. (fn. 10) Lawrence made a settlement of the manor in 1568, the remainder being to his son Edward. (fn. 11) He afterwards removed to Staffordshire, having made an agreement with Fleetwood, which was ratified in 1572 by his son and successor Edward Rawstorne; but in the following year complaint was made that boundary stakes had been removed, and that land belonging to the manor of Farington was being claimed for Hutton. (fn. 12) Soon afterwards the Farington family on various pleas interfered in the manor. (fn. 13)
Edward Rawstorne, son and successor of the lastnamed, was high sheriff in 1629, and several of his descendants have served in the same office. His son, of the same name, took a leading part in the second defence of Lathom House, being appointed to the command by Prince Rupert. His estates were sequestered by the Parliament, but on his death without issue were restored to his brother Lawrence, who had 'faithfully served Parliament.' (fn. 14) The manor has since descended regularly, (fn. 15) without any noteworthy incident, to the present lord, Mr. Lawrence Rawstorne of Hutton and Penwortham.
Of the free tenants and landowners but little can be said. (fn. 16) The surname Hutton occurs, (fn. 17) as also does Longton, (fn. 18) derived from the adjacent township; and some of the neighbouring landowners had lands here. (fn. 19) John Strickland and John Longton contributed to the subsidy of 1542–3 as for lands. (fn. 20) In 1783 Lawrence Rawstorne was practically sole landowner. (fn. 21)
In addition to their gifts to Cockersand Ellis de Hutton and Sapientia his wife gave an acre to Burscough Priory. (fn. 22) A rent of 3s. was received at the time of the Dissolution. (fn. 23) Ellis granted land to Penwortham Priory. (fn. 24) Lytham Priory also had lands in the township. (fn. 25)
About 1200 there was a chapel in Hutton at a place called Ulvedene; nothing is known of its later history. (fn. 26)