A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
111. THE PRIORY OF COVENHAM
The manor which formed the endowment of the priory of Covenham was granted in 1082 by William the Conqueror to the abbot and convent of St. Carileph, Le Mans, at the request of the bishop of Durham, (fn. 1) who had formerly been a monk of that abbey. A small Benedictine priory was built here soon after, but it is probable that there were never more than two monks, or perhaps only one to take charge of the estate. The advowson remained with the bishops of Durham. (fn. 2)
In 1303 the cell had become so far unprofitable to the abbey of St. Carileph that licence was sought from the king to sell it to the abbot and convent of Kirkstead. (fn. 3) It was then in possession of the original manor of two carucates in Covenham, Grainthorpe, Skidbrook, and Little Grimsby, with the advowson of the church of Covenham, and was charged with a corrody due to Robert Merle of Swinthorpe. (fn. 4)
Priors of Covenham
William, (fn. 5) presented 1238
Matthew, (fn. 6) presented 1261