A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 12, Chelsea. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2004.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
PETTY SESSIONS BEFORE 1837
Petty sessions were held approximately monthly from the 1730s or earlier to the 1760s or later to deal with settlement and bastardy cases; after the workhouse was built they took place there. (fn. 1) JPs resided in the parish in 1788, (fn. 2) and special sessions were held in the vestry room in 1792, 1794, and 1795 and in the Cadogan Arms in 1796 and 1797 to nominate the overseers, and in Saltero's coffee house in 1796 to nominate highway surveyors. (fn. 3) In 1799 two resident JPs confirmed a vestry order to incorporate footpaths. (fn. 4) An order of two JPs in 1800 referred to the parochial magistrates, (fn. 5) and there were 3 parish magistrates in 1804. (fn. 6) Three JPs subscribed to the report of vestry's workhouse committee in 1807 recommending enlarging the infirmary. (fn. 7) By 1822 a court of petty sessions could be held in the boardroom of the workhouse, (fn. 8) and in 1823 petty sessions were held in the parish to deal with rate defaulters. (fn. 9) In 1824 the parishioners recommended 3 magistrates to the Lord Lieutenant to form a petty sessions for the parish, and the parochial committee fitted up a room at the workhouse for the court, held on Tuesdays, (fn. 10) and still held weekly in 1825. (fn. 11) Weekly sessions there may have lapsed later, since in 1828 the parish magistrates were thanked for establishing them. (fn. 12)