A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 2, General; Ashford, East Bedfont With Hatton, Feltham, Hampton With Hampton Wick, Hanworth, Laleham, Littleton. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1911.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Polo was initiated in England at a match played at Hounslow between the 10th Hussars, who introduced the game into the country from India, and the 9th Lancers. Middlesex therefore may claim the credit of having been mainly instrumental in bringing the game into notice, and the county has ever since maintained the leading position it thus acquired. (fn. 1)
The Polo Club was formed in 1872, and for the next two years all the important matches were played at Lillie Bridge, but in 1874 the area of play was transferred to Hurlingham. (fn. 2) The Hurlingham Polo Committee has ever since been accepted as the ruling authority with respect to the game, (fn. 3) and by its new rules the original size of polo grounds, which was 300 by 200 yds., has been altered to 300 by 160 yds. (fn. 4) After the establishment of the County Polo Association in 1901 and of the Army Polo Committee in 1902 the Hurlingham Polo Committee was reconstituted on a more representative basis, and now includes three members from the County Polo Association, two from the Army Polo Committee, and one each from the Ranelagh and Roehampton Clubs. (fn. 5)
In 1886 a team sent by the Hurlingham Club won the cup offered by the American polo players for competition at Newport, U.S.A. (fn. 6)
Among the most notable players have been Captain F. Herbert, Mr. Kenyon Slaney, Mr. E. H. Baldock, Mr. Algernon Peyton, 11 th Hussars, Mr. (now Captain) WyndhamQuinn, 16th Lancers, Mr. W. Ince Anderson, Col. Duncombe and Mr. Miller; (fn. 7) while Mr. J. R. and Mr. W. H. Walker are not only brilliant players but also breeders of polo ponies. (fn. 8)
The Wembley Park Polo Club, recently founded, is the only other Club in Middlesex.