A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 2, General; Ashford, East Bedfont With Hatton, Feltham, Hampton With Hampton Wick, Hanworth, Laleham, Littleton. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1911.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The Hampton Parochial Charities were by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 3 August 1894 consolidated, and comprise the following charities, namely:-
1. The Parish Lands, the earliest record extant being surrenders, 1659 and 1662, made at a court held for the honour and manor of Hampton Court; the trust estate consists of two houses known as 'The Feathers,' with a garden opposite, and 'River View,' and cottage and garden; 'two allotments awarded under the Inclosure Act, 1811, containing together 3 a. or. 11 p., known as 'Cannon Field'; Hall's Platt, consisting of five cottages and gardens, known as Barrack Row, and a meadow containing 1 a. 3 r. 20 p., and the New Almshouses; the trusts of the original almshouses at the 'Four Hills' are mentioned in an admission on the Court Rolls, 1729, recited in an admission of 1823, (fn. 1) and a sum of £1,376 19s. 8d. consols, arising from sales of land from time to time;
2. Parochial Quit Rents, recently redeemed, represented by a sum of £369 2s. consols; and the charities of
3. Mary Harris, founded by will 1676, consisting of 3 acres, known as Holly Bush Close;
4. Mary Gavell, will, 1746, trust fund, £135 8s. consols;
5. John Turner, will, 1753, trust fund, £332 17s. 2d. consols;
6. Cyrus Maigre, codicil to will, 1777, trust fund, £74 2s. 2d. consols;
7. William Cole, will, 1807, trust fund, £630 consols; (fn. 2)
8. Mrs. Eva Maria Garrick, codicil to will, 1821, trust fund, £358 14s. 11d.;
9. School of Industry, otherwise the Girls' School, including the subsidiary charities, known as Roll's Gifts and Mrs. Wallace's Gift, comprised in a scheme of the Charity Commissioners of 25 August 1862. The trust funds consist of £1,009 2s. 11d. consols; and
10. Charity of John Jones for Poor, will, 1691, trust fund, £960.
The governing body constituted by the scheme consists of six ex officio trustees, being the vicars and churchwardens of the parish of Hampton, and of the ecclesiastical district of Hampton Hill, St. James; eight representative trustees and two co-optative trustees.
The scheme provides (inter alia) that out of the income of the charities 1 and 2 £50 should be paid to the churchwardens of Hampton and £25 to the churchwardens of Hampton Hill, St. James, for the repair of the respective churches.
That one-third of the income of Mary Harris' Charity (no. 3) should be paid to the trustees of the Hampton Wick Parish Lands (see under Hampton Wick).
That the income of the charity no. 9, and so much of charity no. 3 as should not be required for apprenticing, should be applied in aid of any fund applicable in the parish of Hampton by a local authority for the purposes of technical instruction.
That the residue of the income of the remaining charities should be applied in providing stipends of not less than 5s. or more than 8s. a week for the almspeople and for the benefit of the poor of the parish of Hampton, exclusive of Hampton Wick, but inclusive of Hampton Hill, in such manner as the trustees should consider most conducive to the formation of provident habits.
In 1905 the income from the real estate amounted to £216 5s. and the dividends from the sums of stock, which are held by the Official Trustees, to £131 2s. 4d., making an aggregate income of £347 7s. 4d. The sum of £75 was paid to the churchwardens, £104 8s. 8d. as stipends of seven almspeople (including nursing), £10 for apprenticing, £12 to pensioners, and £25 6s. to the Local Technical Education Committee.
In 1873 Thomas Beer, by will proved 6 February, bequeathed to the vicar and churchwardens £450 2s. 9d. consols (with the Official Trustees), the dividends to be applied for the benefit of the poor of the parish of Hampton. The income, amounting to £11 4s. a year, is distributed in articles in kind.
In 1873 James Annett, by will proved 15 August, bequeathed to the vicar and churchwardens a legacy, now represented by £700 consols, with the Official Trustees, the dividends to be divided equally among eight respectable men, who should ring a peal on the bells of Hampton parish church on Sunday mornings from 10.15 to 10.45. The dividends, amounting to £17 10s., are duly applied.
The Hampton Endowed School. This school is regulated by a scheme made under the Endowed Schools Acts, 26 October 1896.
Hampton Hill, St. James
In 1881 the Rev. Fitzroy John Fitz Wygram, by will proved 26 October, bequeathed a legacy to the incumbent of St. James, to be applied by him according to his uncontrolled discretion in relieving the educational and bodily needs of the poor. The legacy is represented by £452 5s. 2d. consols, with the Official Trustees, producing £11 6s. a year, which in 1905-6 was applied in the payment of £6 6s. to a parochial fund for the poor, and £5 to the District Nurse Fund.
In 1892 William Blanchard, by will proved 22 March, bequeathed to the vicar and churchwardens a legacy, now represented by £411 Great Western Railway 4 per cent. debenture stock, with the Official Trustees, upon trust, to distribute the dividends among the poor. The annual income, amounting to £16 8s. 10d., is distributed in articles in kind.
The Endowed School.-The Board of Education by order, dated 1 August 1907, has established a scheme, including appointment of trustees, altering previous schemes made under the Endowed Schools Acts, whereby a special fund for elementary purposes was directed to be established, to be called 'The Elementary Education Fund,' which amounts to a sum of £2,290 3s. 7d. consols and £24 19s. India 3 per cent., with the Official Trustees.
In 1695 Thomas Burdett, by his will dated 29 February in that year, bequeathed to the poor of Hampton Wick the sum of £50, the profits thereof to be laid out in coals or wood and distributed yearly on St. Thomas's Day for ever. The legacy is now represented by £91 6s. 3d. Metropolitan Consolidated 3 per cent. stock with the Official Trustees, producing £2 14s. 8d. a year.
The Parish Lands and other subsidiary charities are regulated by schemes of the Charity Commissioners, dated respectively 1 May 1888, 6 August 1897, 10 January 1899, and 20 January 1903, and comprise the following charities, namely:-
1. The Parish Lands. The trust estate consists of sixteen houses, Park Side, Sandy Lane, let on long leases at annual rents amounting to £78 16s.; the Grove Inn, let at £70 a year, and £240 2½ per cent. annuities, and £169 9s. 10d. consols. The charities of:-
2. John Turner (part of), trust fund, £166 8s. 7d. consols;
3. Cyrus Maigre (part of), £37 1s. 1d. consols;
4. William Cole (part of), £315 consols;
5. John Jones (part of), £480 consols; and
6. Mary Harris, one-third of rent of Holly Bush Close, £6 13s. 4d. (fn. 3)
The several sums of stock are held by the Official Trustees.
The governing body constituted by the scheme of 1888 (as varied by scheme of 1899) consists of six representative trustees, nominated by the Local Board, the School Board, and by the governors of the Endowed School.
In 1906-7 the net receipts amounted to £160 3s.
Under the scheme of 1897 the income of the charities 2 to 5 is applicable in pensions on terms similar to those regulating the Hampton Parish Lands; and out of the general income £50 was paid to the churchwardens, £55 for nursing, and £36 for educational purposes.