A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 6, Friern Barnet, Finchley, Hornsey With Highgate. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1980.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 1866 Mr. Childe of Laburnum Villa, Oakleigh Road, built on his own property the temporary chapel of St. George, which was served from Barnet. (fn. 1) The chapel was closed c. 1880, perhaps because it was sold, (fn. 2) and from 1890 the congregation was served at Finchley. (fn. 3) In 1924 mass was celebrated at Harper's tea rooms in Whetstone High Road and then at Buffaloes' hall attached to the Black Bull. (fn. 4)
The chapel of St. Mary Magdalene, Athenaeum Road, was in use in 1925 and was administered by the Fathers of Sion until c. 1973. (fn. 5) In 1930 a larger temporary church of St. Mary Magdalene was built in Athenaeum Road (fn. 6) and the older building became the church hall, (fn. 7) which survived in 1975. A modern church on the same site was consecrated in 1958. (fn. 8) It is of red brick, with a chancel, nave, and west tower.