A History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
10. THE PRIORY OF MODENEY
In the parish of Hilgay, about a mile southwest of the church, near the River Ouse, stood the small Benedictine priory of Modeney, which was a cell of the Huntingdonshire abbey of Ramsey.
Nothing is known of its foundation; both Blomefield and Dugdale are practically silent as to its history.
The taxation roll of 1291 enters the annual value of the temporalities of the 'prior of Medmenaye,' in the parish of Hilgay, at £3 18s., and the prior of 'Modmenei' is noted in 1304 as paying 9s. 10d. for yearly tithes to the abbey of Ramsey. (fn. 1) The Valor of 1535, under the abbey of Ramsey, names the 'Sella de Modney in Com. Norff.' as worth 43s. 4d. per annum.
The suppression commissioners simply reported, in 1536, that 'the Priory of Modney namyed to be a cell to Ramsey hathe a Privy Seale to appere.' (fn. 2)